Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Default Individual note sampling

    This may be the dumbest post of the day...I'm newer to being enthusiastic about fragrances. I haven't sampled a ton of them. Some fragrances smell like things I've smelled before (vanilla, cinnamon...I picked up the tar note in A*Men!) but some don't smell familiar to me (no idea what "benzoin" or "tuber" smells like.) Is there any way to buy samples of individual notes? Not that I'd want to wear an individual note...but it'd be cool to be able to, when I smell a new to me fragrance, identify the notes that I'm smelling...right now alot of things kinda smell like a blob to me because I don't know what the notes themselves smell like...

  2. #2

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Good question, I would like to know this as well.

  3. #3
    Super Member Petrichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    324

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    The Perfumer's Apprentice offers kits of individual notes (both naturals and common aromachemicals) that might be helpful. That way you can smell what pure benzoin, pure tuberose, etc. smell like. You can just google them. I know that many people have found them useful.
    "Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

    -Proverbs 27:9

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    282,567

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
    The Perfumer's Apprentice offers kits of individual notes (both naturals and common aromachemicals) that might be helpful. That way you can smell what pure benzoin, pure tuberose, etc. smell like.
    Sound advice. (1533)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    29,624

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Excellent idea, although please bear in mind that a lot of the officially listed 'notes' are marketing blurb for various combinations of materials so you may start detecting unlisted things!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    52,030
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Too many single notes to know everything..
    I am sure their are thousands..
    Nobody will ever know it all but the more you sample the more you can tell the basics..

  7. #7

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    There are a few places locally that have essential oils that I smell very very often.
    for swap/sale:



  8. #8

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    The other thing to keep in mind is that when you smell individual notes, they often smell quite different to what you'd expect, and many are somewhat unpleasant. The combinations and blends of these notes alongside some "tricks" is what transforms these components into the scents we love. With that said, learning materials is extremely helpful for analyzing fragrances, but it's a slow process and the materials can get pricey.

  9. #9
    Dependent kswer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    This may be a dumb question but does learning these notes increase your enjoyment of the fragrances? I find it interesting and I am tempted to start learning but maybe it would be better if I was blissfully unaware. Any thoughts?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Ha! Blissful unawareness is very much a concern! I was sampling the new Blood Concept line today and all I could think about was how much I want to confiscate their isobutyl quinoline!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    This may be a dumb question but does learning these notes increase your enjoyment of the fragrances? I find it interesting and I am tempted to start learning but maybe it would be better if I was blissfully unaware. Any thoughts?
    Not a dumb question at all, kswer.
    In my case, I obtained a set of around 100 common aroma chemicals (just a few mL of each), to which I've added a couple of dozen naturals; these constitute a sort of (expanding) olfactive reference library. Slowly, slowly I'm doing my best to learn each scent.
    I wouldn't honestly say this endeavour has increased the enjoyment I get from wearing any individual fragrance. In fact, there are some fragrances I find difficult to wear now as I fixate on a particular material and thus miss the forest for the trees. Hopefully (!) this is just a phase.
    At the same time, it has expanded my vocabulary for discussing perfumes and given me new tools for analysing and comparing scents, which I enjoy immensely.
    I'm a self-confessed dilettante and hopeless lost-cause here, but that doesn't stop me having fun.
    I'd say pick up a few samples of some very common materials, e.g. Iso E Super, Ethyl Maltol etc, see if you can identify them 'in the wild', and take it from there if you are so inclined.

  12. #12
    Dependent kswer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,015

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Not a dumb question at all, kswer.
    In my case, I obtained a set of around 100 common aroma chemicals (just a few mL of each), to which I've added a couple of dozen naturals; these constitute a sort of (expanding) olfactive reference library. Slowly, slowly I'm doing my best to learn each scent.
    I wouldn't honestly say this endeavour has increased the enjoyment I get from wearing any individual fragrance. In fact, there are some fragrances I find difficult to wear now as I fixate on a particular material and thus miss the forest for the trees. Hopefully (!) this is just a phase.
    At the same time, it has expanded my vocabulary for discussing perfumes and given me new tools for analysing and comparing scents, which I enjoy immensely.
    I'm a self-confessed dilettante and hopeless lost-cause here, but that doesn't stop me having fun.
    I'd say pick up a few samples of some very common materials, e.g. Iso E Super, Ethyl Maltol etc, see if you can identify them 'in the wild', and take it from there if you are so inclined.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems like it might be fun to play around with and learn about the notes even if I am going to be, like you, a dilettante!

  13. #13
    salim96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    UK, Sheffield
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    It is these kinda threads what basenotes should be about.
    I stand corrected, i heard that master perfumers are able just upon sniffing a perfume
    to tell the exact notes, and whether the rose is taif, turkish or bulgarian, u name it

  14. #14
    Dependent OctaVariuM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Coastal Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,240

    Default Re: Individual note sampling

    I've never tried the perfumer's kit approach, but I feel like using Fragrantica as a good idea of what you might be smelling is a good way to get a scent catalogue so you know what things are. That's how I started to learn at least.




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd September 2010, 02:37 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12th October 2009, 03:21 PM
  3. MB Individual
    By John.com in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th September 2007, 10:49 AM
  4. Base note, middle note, high note etc etc
    By lejaimlefunk in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 3rd January 2007, 04:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000