Code of Conduct

Default Individual note sampling

This may be the dumbest post of the day...I'm newer to being enthusiastic about fragrances. I haven't sampled a ton of them. Some fragrances smell like things I've smelled before (vanilla, cinnamon...I picked up the tar note in A*Men!) but some don't smell familiar to me (no idea what "benzoin" or "tuber" smells like.) Is there any way to buy samples of individual notes? Not that I'd want to wear an individual note...but it'd be cool to be able to, when I smell a new to me fragrance, identify the notes that I'm smelling...right now alot of things kinda smell like a blob to me because I don't know what the notes themselves smell like...

Default Re: Individual note sampling

Good question, I would like to know this as well.

The Perfumer's Apprentice offers kits of individual notes (both naturals and common aromachemicals) that might be helpful. That way you can smell what pure benzoin, pure tuberose, etc. smell like. You can just google them. I know that many people have found them useful.
    "Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
    The Perfumer's Apprentice offers kits of individual notes (both naturals and common aromachemicals) that might be helpful. That way you can smell what pure benzoin, pure tuberose, etc. smell like.
    Sound advice. (1533)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Excellent idea, although please bear in mind that a lot of the officially listed 'notes' are marketing blurb for various combinations of materials so you may start detecting unlisted things!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Too many single notes to know everything..
    I am sure their are thousands..
    Nobody will ever know it all but the more you sample the more you can tell the basics..

There are a few places locally that have essential oils that I smell very very often.
    for swap/sale:

The other thing to keep in mind is that when you smell individual notes, they often smell quite different to what you'd expect, and many are somewhat unpleasant. The combinations and blends of these notes alongside some "tricks" is what transforms these components into the scents we love. With that said, learning materials is extremely helpful for analyzing fragrances, but it's a slow process and the materials can get pricey.

This may be a dumb question but does learning these notes increase your enjoyment of the fragrances? I find it interesting and I am tempted to start learning but maybe it would be better if I was blissfully unaware. Any thoughts?

Ha! Blissful unawareness is very much a concern! I was sampling the new Blood Concept line today and all I could think about was how much I want to confiscate their isobutyl quinoline!

Quote Originally Posted by kswer View Post
    This may be a dumb question but does learning these notes increase your enjoyment of the fragrances? I find it interesting and I am tempted to start learning but maybe it would be better if I was blissfully unaware. Any thoughts?
    Not a dumb question at all, kswer.
    In my case, I obtained a set of around 100 common aroma chemicals (just a few mL of each), to which I've added a couple of dozen naturals; these constitute a sort of (expanding) olfactive reference library. Slowly, slowly I'm doing my best to learn each scent.
    I wouldn't honestly say this endeavour has increased the enjoyment I get from wearing any individual fragrance. In fact, there are some fragrances I find difficult to wear now as I fixate on a particular material and thus miss the forest for the trees. Hopefully (!) this is just a phase.
    At the same time, it has expanded my vocabulary for discussing perfumes and given me new tools for analysing and comparing scents, which I enjoy immensely.
    I'm a self-confessed dilettante and hopeless lost-cause here, but that doesn't stop me having fun.
    I'd say pick up a few samples of some very common materials, e.g. Iso E Super, Ethyl Maltol etc, see if you can identify them 'in the wild', and take it from there if you are so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Not a dumb question at all, kswer.
    In my case, I obtained a set of around 100 common aroma chemicals (just a few mL of each), to which I've added a couple of dozen naturals; these constitute a sort of (expanding) olfactive reference library. Slowly, slowly I'm doing my best to learn each scent.
    I wouldn't honestly say this endeavour has increased the enjoyment I get from wearing any individual fragrance. In fact, there are some fragrances I find difficult to wear now as I fixate on a particular material and thus miss the forest for the trees. Hopefully (!) this is just a phase.
    At the same time, it has expanded my vocabulary for discussing perfumes and given me new tools for analysing and comparing scents, which I enjoy immensely.
    I'm a self-confessed dilettante and hopeless lost-cause here, but that doesn't stop me having fun.
    I'd say pick up a few samples of some very common materials, e.g. Iso E Super, Ethyl Maltol etc, see if you can identify them 'in the wild', and take it from there if you are so inclined.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems like it might be fun to play around with and learn about the notes even if I am going to be, like you, a dilettante!

It is these kinda threads what basenotes should be about.
    I stand corrected, i heard that master perfumers are able just upon sniffing a perfume
    to tell the exact notes, and whether the rose is taif, turkish or bulgarian, u name it

I've never tried the perfumer's kit approach, but I feel like using Fragrantica as a good idea of what you might be smelling is a good way to get a scent catalogue so you know what things are. That's how I started to learn at least.