Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 61 to 78 of 78
  1. #61

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by farang View Post
    What about Rosam (Histoires de Parfumes)? Is it based on oud wood? It smells a bit similar to Oud Isphahan.
    Adulterated oud oil.

    It smells like Oud Ispahan because they both revolve around rose.
    for swap/sale:



  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,438

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I can now think of 4 perfumes (Leather Oud, Oud Ispahan, Onde Mystere & Oud & Bergamot) that are based on Oud Wood not Oud Oil.

    I should probably start an awareness thread on this because the oil & wood smell vastly different from each other.
    I wonder if MFK Oud Cashmere Mood might also be in the wood category- hedonist, could you comment?

    An awareness thread would be welcome.
    Currently wearing: Mitsouko by Guerlain

  3. #63

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    I have experienced some excellent Oud Attars and Mukhallats but the bottom line is that I am not a great fan of the note / effect. I do, however, quite like the Oud Wood approach in Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Leather Oud (altho it's a little bit of a one-liner in the Dior).

    It's interesting trying the various 'western' commercial takes on Oud, the By Kilian and MFK ones seem 'respectful' in a creative way and I'm sure there are others but none have prompted me to buy.

    If you do even just a little reading about Oud Oil you'll see that the 'best stuff' costs a small fortune, if you can get it at all, and you can be sure that this stuff is not being hovered up by the litre by Givaudan and IFF to stick in the various designer or 'Nu Niche' confections coming off the press at such an alarming rate, so what you are experiencing is generally a synthetic. Nothing wrong with that but on the whole I find it all a bit of a red herring . . . I do, however, defer to hedonist and one or two other friends who grew up with Oud for guidance. We 'discovered' the MFK stuff together when he was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks after they were released and I seem to remember one of them getting a thumbs up

  4. #64

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Maison Francis Kurkdjian oud moods are sublime. When you spray it on your wrists they leave an oil on your skin that needs to be rubbed in. My favorite one is Silk Mood.

  5. #65

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I wonder if MFK Oud Cashmere Mood might also be in the wood category- hedonist, could you comment?

    An awareness thread would be welcome.
    I did sample it with mr.reasonable a while back in Hong Kong. and I also have a sample that I briefly tried.

    Had a great time in Hong Kong with mr.reasonable. Hes even nicer in person.

    I'll need to retry it but I remember it being more oud wood than oud oil.

    Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I have experienced some excellent Oud Attars and Mukhallats but the bottom line is that I am not a great fan of the note / effect. I do, however, quite like the Oud Wood approach in Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Leather Oud (altho it's a little bit of a one-liner in the Dior).

    It's interesting trying the various 'western' commercial takes on Oud, the By Kilian and MFK ones seem 'respectful' in a creative way and I'm sure there are others but none have prompted me to buy.

    If you do even just a little reading about Oud Oil you'll see that the 'best stuff' costs a small fortune, if you can get it at all, and you can be sure that this stuff is not being hovered up by the litre by Givaudan and IFF to stick in the various designer or 'Nu Niche' confections coming off the press at such an alarming rate, so what you are experiencing is generally a synthetic. Nothing wrong with that but on the whole I find it all a bit of a red herring . . . I do, however, defer to hedonist and one or two other friends who grew up with Oud for guidance. We 'discovered' the MFK stuff together when he was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks after they were released and I seem to remember one of them getting a thumbs up
    Western takes on Oud are not popular here.
    All those "oud flavored insert favorite designer perfume name here" aren't very popular here because 99% of the time the oud doesn't smell like real oud. It smells like , and I've said this before, a blind person's artistic rendering of it.

    I think these oud perfumes are more popular with the folk who are genuinely interested in trying new stuff but have absolutely no idea what it actually should smell like.
    for swap/sale:



  6. #66

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Creed - Royal Oud
    By Kilian - Musk Oud
    Bond No 9 - New York Oud

  7. #67
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Creed - Royal Oud
    By Kilian - Musk Oud
    Bond No 9 - New York Oud
    Hmmm.. I do not smell any oud in RO

  8. #68

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Oud Ispahan.
    Less fragrance is more.

  9. #69
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    88

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    My favourite oud perfume has to be Harrods exlusive: Roja Parfums " H the exlusive aoud" an outstanding fragrance from the line, one that I hold dear to myself, anyone else had experience with this gem?

  10. #70
    Dependent bigbloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    The naming of it is against Trading Standards, it's just jumping on the Aoud/Oud/Aoudh/Oudh bandwagon and slapping a badge of exclusivity on it.

    As for what it is, it's nice.
    What I'd like to try
    Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian Incense Oud, Pure Oud/Ensar Oud/Tom Ford

    My UK Swapsies!

    Need 2 Roja caps if anyone can help. Muchas gracias

    Current favourites:
    Frederic Malle The Night
    Creed Spice and Wood
    Creed Pure White Cologne
    Kilian Extreme Oud
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    Roja Dove UAE
    Roja Dove Fetish Pour Homme/Puredistance M
    Armani Prive Oud Royal
    Ormonde Jayne Black Gold

  11. #71
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    88

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    @slyflow, i can secound to that, Christian Diors - Oud Ispahan is very special, very rare for a regular fragrance brand to create a fragrance as this one, sillage etc is remarkable

  12. #72
    scooptn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    1,035

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Mono di Orio, and MFK

  13. #73
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    95

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Royal Oud
    MFK Oud
    Oud Wood
    Seconding this!

  14. #74
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Acqua di parma Oud Intensa

  15. #75

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Trying many oud frags, the only one I bought a full bottle is Sand Aoud.
    For sale/swap: Nautica Voyage, Individuel, Burberry London, Precious Woods, Halston Amber Man, Dirty English.

  16. #76

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    At the risk of being a very synthetic rendition of this great note/ingredient, there is also a remarkably good smelling Oud cheapie that I like: Tesori d'Oriente Royal Oud dello Yemen
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

  17. #77

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Creed Royal Oud? lol. Doesn't even remotely smells like Oud

  18. #78
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,898
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

    Rania J's Oud Assam
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

Similar Threads

  1. Favourite Fig
    By dudelove in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12th May 2013, 02:07 PM
  2. Your favourite and least favourite fragrance caps
    By Trebor in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 27th August 2012, 10:36 AM
  3. Your favourite CK One
    By dreamer81 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th February 2010, 07:58 PM
  4. Which is your favourite??
    By Tanzfreak24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 23rd March 2006, 04:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000