Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What is your favourite Oud?

Quote Originally Posted by farang View Post
    What about Rosam (Histoires de Parfumes)? Is it based on oud wood? It smells a bit similar to Oud Isphahan.
    Adulterated oud oil.

It smells like Oud Ispahan because they both revolve around rose.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I can now think of 4 perfumes (Leather Oud, Oud Ispahan, Onde Mystere & Oud & Bergamot) that are based on Oud Wood not Oud Oil.

I should probably start an awareness thread on this because the oil & wood smell vastly different from each other.
    I wonder if MFK Oud Cashmere Mood might also be in the wood category- hedonist, could you comment?

An awareness thread would be welcome.

I have experienced some excellent Oud Attars and Mukhallats but the bottom line is that I am not a great fan of the note / effect. I do, however, quite like the Oud Wood approach in Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Leather Oud (altho it's a little bit of a one-liner in the Dior).

It's interesting trying the various 'western' commercial takes on Oud, the By Kilian and MFK ones seem 'respectful' in a creative way and I'm sure there are others but none have prompted me to buy.

If you do even just a little reading about Oud Oil you'll see that the 'best stuff' costs a small fortune, if you can get it at all, and you can be sure that this stuff is not being hovered up by the litre by Givaudan and IFF to stick in the various designer or 'Nu Niche' confections coming off the press at such an alarming rate, so what you are experiencing is generally a synthetic. Nothing wrong with that but on the whole I find it all a bit of a red herring . . . I do, however, defer to hedonist and one or two other friends who grew up with Oud for guidance. We 'discovered' the MFK stuff together when he was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks after they were released and I seem to remember one of them getting a thumbs up

Maison Francis Kurkdjian oud moods are sublime. When you spray it on your wrists they leave an oil on your skin that needs to be rubbed in. My favorite one is Silk Mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    I wonder if MFK Oud Cashmere Mood might also be in the wood category- hedonist, could you comment?

An awareness thread would be welcome.
    I did sample it with mr.reasonable a while back in Hong Kong. and I also have a sample that I briefly tried.

Had a great time in Hong Kong with mr.reasonable. Hes even nicer in person.

I'll need to retry it but I remember it being more oud wood than oud oil.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I have experienced some excellent Oud Attars and Mukhallats but the bottom line is that I am not a great fan of the note / effect. I do, however, quite like the Oud Wood approach in Songe d'un Bois d'Ete and Leather Oud (altho it's a little bit of a one-liner in the Dior).

It's interesting trying the various 'western' commercial takes on Oud, the By Kilian and MFK ones seem 'respectful' in a creative way and I'm sure there are others but none have prompted me to buy.

If you do even just a little reading about Oud Oil you'll see that the 'best stuff' costs a small fortune, if you can get it at all, and you can be sure that this stuff is not being hovered up by the litre by Givaudan and IFF to stick in the various designer or 'Nu Niche' confections coming off the press at such an alarming rate, so what you are experiencing is generally a synthetic. Nothing wrong with that but on the whole I find it all a bit of a red herring . . . I do, however, defer to hedonist and one or two other friends who grew up with Oud for guidance. We 'discovered' the MFK stuff together when he was in Hong Kong a couple of weeks after they were released and I seem to remember one of them getting a thumbs up
    Western takes on Oud are not popular here.
    All those "oud flavored insert favorite designer perfume name here" aren't very popular here because 99% of the time the oud doesn't smell like real oud. It smells like , and I've said this before, a blind person's artistic rendering of it.

I think these oud perfumes are more popular with the folk who are genuinely interested in trying new stuff but have absolutely no idea what it actually should smell like.

for swap/sale: