Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Matching fragrance with clothes

For me it’s a complex equation that usually starts with the weather and what mood I’m in. Then I get dressed in clothes that match that mood and wear a scent that either accentuates what I’m feeling or remedies it.

The big exception is when there’s an event that I have to dress for specifically and then I try to match the scent to what I’m wearing(although I occasionally start with scent and go backwards).

stinkin' to high heaven

............................. ◘ surrounded by squares ◘
    Blog Entries

Question of personal choice... Me? I don't.
    Currently wearing: Purple Flowers by Mancera

If you were to wear a turtle neck sweater, would you need a fragrance that made you smell like a prat when you already looked like one?

If you were to wear a baseball cap with your ears tucked in, would you need a fragrance that made you smell like a bit of a berk when you already stand out as one?

...no, so fragrances don't need to match clothes.

I think there are some scents that will always suit more formal occasions, and past that it is just down to weather and time of day.

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    If you were to wear a turtle neck sweater, would you need a fragrance that made you smell like a prat when you already looked like one?
    Charming.

Signed,
    Someone Who Owns And Enjoys Turtleneck Sweaters
    The Brooks Otterlake Swap Thread

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

If you were to wear a baseball cap with your ears tucked in, would you need a fragrance that made you smell like a bit of a berk when you already stand out as one?

...no, so fragrances don't need to match clothes.

I think there are some scents that will always suit more formal occasions, and past that it is just down to weather and time of day.
    Yikes.

Hmm, not agreeing with you here. See, I believe there are multiple situations, occasions, functions and activities where for example a turtleneck or baseball cap with ears tucked in are not just ok or suitable but also cool

So, I see no prob with matching clothes and frags., rather find if quite nice and I do aim on reaching that balance, just a private joke for me. Like wearing Kouros and Vaillante Rebellion shirt, The Duke and cowboy boots, pastel t-shirt and espadrillos with Patou pour Homme, Aventus with cigar and open neck collar shirt and suit or the said baseball cap with Old Spice etc.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk

Wait. You tuck your ears into your baseball hat?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Wait. You tuck your ears into your baseball hat?
    I don't even know how that would work.

But I stand up for the turtleneck. It gets very cold where I am and they're great in wintertime. They also look great under blazers or suede/leather jackets.

Autumn Favorites
    Aramis Special Blend, Aramis Tuscany per Uomo, Guerlain Héritage EDT, Guerlain L'Instant Pour Homme EDT, Lalique Hommage à L'Homme, Michael Kors Michael for Men (vintage), Odori Tabacco, Perfumes of the Desert Pinon, Tom Ford Noir Anthracite

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I don't even know how that would work.

But I stand up for the turtleneck. It gets very cold where I am and they're great in wintertime. They also look great under blazers or suede/leather jackets.
    Unless I'm a car burglar, I have moved on from the t-neck. Just depends on how they're worn.

I think they get a bad rap because of how they're perceived in media. I think of Sprockets from SNL. Or a mom who go a good deal on one at Sears for her kid.

But I know Steve McQueen looks good in one!

Dependent

If you were to wear a turtle neck sweater, would you need a fragrance that made you smell like a prat when you already looked like one?.
    LOL, and this statement comes from a brit who's population as a whole calls sweaters JUMPERS. Crazy brits.

Unless I'm a car burglar, I have moved on from the t-neck. Just depends on how they're worn.

I think they get a bad rap because of how they're perceived in media. I think of Sprockets from SNL. Or a mom who go a good deal on one at Sears for her kid.

But I know Steve McQueen looks good in one!
    A cable-knit sweater with a turtleneck is the warmest thing around. And when the lows are many degrees below freezing, trust me, you want that extra warmth.

Besides, I think combos like this look mighty stylish and not very, um, early 90s-y.

Autumn Favorites

A cable-knit sweater with a turtleneck is the warmest thing around. And when the lows are many degrees below freezing, trust me, you want that extra warmth.

Besides, I think combos like this look mighty stylish and not very, um, early 90s-y.
    Haha.....I forgot, yes, they do also remind me of Dawson's Creek and FRIENDS. lol

But the cable knit puts me in the mind of old timey sailors....in a good way!

But the cable knit puts me in the mind of old timey sailors....in a good way!
    Ahoy, matey!

Autumn Favorites

Ahoy, matey!
    Soooo, Le Male In the Navy?

And for the Dawson's Creek turtle neck, Tommy by Tommy Hilfiger.

I agree, although I personally do not wear them (doesn't ever get lower than 50 F where I live).

Basenotes Plus

If I'm picking clothes according to what I want to wear and fragrance according to what/how I want to smell, aren't they going to match as a result? I mean, maybe not in anyone else's head, but if I were worried about that, I'd call for a vote every time I got dressed.
    Currently wearing: Joop! Homme by Joop!

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    Exactly - at the very bottom of visit this website
    yes, just like I do it.

Also I would like to note that I choose depending on a season. Summer is for Byredo. Winter for Tom Ford. November is also special - it is Kilian