Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Creed Millesime 1849

The original thread is currently in the huddler.

I just sprayed some on & was very pleasantly surprised.

They've moved away from the usual fresh & uplifting motif.

Millesime 1849 opens a spicy floral accord that immediately captures the attention.

Top notes: bergamot

Middle notes: jasmine, patchouli, cedar and ylang ylang

Base notes: vanilla, oud, sandalwood and musk

Last edited by hedonist222; 16th December 2013 at 10:28 AM.

for swap/sale:

Default Re: Creed Millesime 1849

I really tried to like this one; I mean truly tried. But it just wasn't one that held my attention. The florals - especially the ylang-ylang - just didn't vibe well with me despite my love of the natural scent. And the dry-down seems very generic too. Glad Creed stepped outside of their norm, but it's just a rather split personality scent that starts off leaning feminine yet has a woodsy dry-down that leans masculine.

It's been stated in the forums that it's inspired by Samsara; I totally can see that. But it's just not my cup of tea. Maybe I'm missing something.

For me it was love at first sniff. Not too floral and not too spicy. Just the right mix.

(1654)
    Last edited by hednic; 16th December 2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

a spicy floral from Creed?
    as said above,
    If this bear any resemblance to Samsara,
    I must try it.

I liked the dry down of this one, but didn't care for the opening at all. Ultimately, it wasn't enough to make me want a bottle, especially considering the price.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I like it, but I think I'd prefer it on a woman. Just a little too floral for me.

Sound Scents

The composition just smelled "off" to me featuring way too much powdery ylang-ylang. I am afraid this one was a complete fail, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

It reminded me of Ylang 49 but where the Le Labo is typically Le Labo, this is typically Creed.

Later on the cedar/patchouli

The dry down is a very indolic white flower accord accompanied by a subtle base accord of creamy sandal , vanilla and cedar.

But there's something in it that makes it feel like its modern not completely classical.

Some smell thats not distinguishable as a note based on natural notes. Something completely synthetic. Not bad smelling at all but clearly an aromachemical.

I enjoyed it very much and may add a bottle.

Longevity/projection are average.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I liked the dry down of this one, but didn't care for the opening at all. Ultimately, it wasn't enough to make me want a bottle, especially considering the price.
    My thoughts exactly. I will be trying it again soon though (this time on my skin!) as I've seen a reputable BN is doing this on a split.

I liked the opening part the best.

It smelled of white florals cut while in bloom.

for swap/sale:

I love this one, but I can see how many may find it too feminine. The ylang-ylang is very prominent and can come across as quite feminine, but I think it is very well done.

Nice buy: where did you find it? This is a great smelling scent...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I like it, but I think I'd prefer it on a woman. Just a little too floral for me.
    Gotta agree. Sort of glad in a way -- boosted my cashflow

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Nice buy: where did you find it? This is a great smelling scent...
    The Creed Boutique in New York had it (I don't remember the number). I think they were the only ones in the US that had it. I am not sure if they still have it or not, as it was a limited run.

Basenotes Institution

Is the ylang 'banana' smelling? That sort of turns me off about some ylang-ylang prominent scents.

I had no idea this one was being compared to Samsara. Is the sandalwood in the base as substantial as the Guerlain?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I too love this scent and ended up purchasing a bottle. Couldn't resist with the 15% discount and the possibility that it may not end up on the grey market. I don't find it too feminine as the woods make it lean towards the unisex side. I think if you call the Creed Boutique in the US, they'll probably still have some in stock.

Regarding Samsara, I found it very similar. However, IMO, Samsara leans a lot on the feminine side due to the heavy amount of florals; 1849 is not as floral-heavy and has some wood notes instead. That's why I'd consider 1849 unisex and a guy could pull it off. My wife also really likes it on me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is the ylang 'banana' smelling? That sort of turns me off about some ylang-ylang prominent scents.

I had no idea this one was being compared to Samsara. Is the sandalwood in the base as substantial as the Guerlain?
    I never got banana with ylang ylang.

No banana in M1849.

I also don't quite get the Samsara association. It's no where as sandal prominent as Samsara.
    Ok both are ylang ylang dominated but 1849 veers in the typical classy smooth Creed direction.

for swap/sale:

I'm in a split for it. Can't wait for it to fill!!!!!

Wearing a small spray before bedtime tonight. Moderation is key. A short shot brings out 1849"s best qualities. More than that and you get a bit of a bright chemical cloud. It's another good one from Creed. Recommended to Creed fans.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    Moderation is key. A short shot brings out 1849"s best qualities.
    Agree with this.
    (1697)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Love at first sniff for me as well, and had no choice but to get a bottle. I do not understand the feminine references here. Floral, yes. Not masculine, i dont know.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Love at first sniff for me as well, and had no choice but to get a bottle. I do not understand the feminine references here. Floral, yes. Not masculine, i dont know.
    Perfaddict, oh nice, congrats.

for swap/sale:

I wonder if they have any bottles left? If I can hit my goal body weight by May 20 I promised myself a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I wonder if they have any bottles left? If I can hit my goal body weight by May 20 I promised myself a bottle.
    A noteworthy goal and reward, but if you find it, you'd better jump on it. You can still keep up with the diet and exercise, but don't risk missing 1849.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    A noteworthy goal and reward, but if you find it, you'd better jump on it. You can still keep up with the diet and exercise, but don't risk missing 1849.
    Agreed. The 1849 is going away - and maybe faster than the pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Agreed. The 1849 is going away - and maybe faster than the pounds.

Ouch!!!

Hey bro what frag are you looking?

I thought Creed only had "a few bottles left" a few months ago... Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmm...
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

What makes everyone say it's going away?

It's become available in the Dubai flagship boutique.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    What makes everyone say it's going away?

It's become available in the Dubai flagship boutique.
    I believe it was supposed to be a limited production of 500 bottles.

Yes, a very limited production is what they told us about 1849, and when it's gone, it's gone!

Strangely, we've heard this before about certain items where it takes a very unusual amount of time for the "limited production" item to sell out.

Every time I called Creed Boutique a few months ago, they still had "a few" bottles of 1849 available, even though they should have sold out long ago (if the original amount available was truthful).

I haven't asked them about it lately, so I don't know if there's "a few" bottles still left, or not. I assume, at some point, it really will be sold out.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 11th January 2014 at 06:53 PM.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Angelique Encens, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...emons-Batucada

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Angelique Encens, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Yes, a very limited production is what they told us about 1849, and when it's gone, it's gone!

Strangely, we've heard this before about certain items where it takes a very unusual amount of time for the "limited production" item to sell out.

Every time I called Creed Boutique a few months ago, they still had "a few" bottles of 1849 available, even though they should have sold out long ago (if the original amount available was truthful).

I haven't asked them about it lately, so I don't know if there's "a few" bottles still left, or not. I assume, at some point, it really will be sold out.
    There are still people who believe things that come from Creed marketing department?

Quote Originally Posted by martinijo View Post
    There are still people who believe things that come from Creed marketing department?
    LOL...well, it's not so much that the things they say NEVER happen, it's just that it often takes a remarkable amount of time for that eventuality to actually occur!

It's taken me a while to finally pull the trigger and purchase this at retail (albeit at 15% discount). The reason being, I just didn't want to risk not being able to ever purchase it again. My choice was to either purchase at retail or wait until it goes on the grey market. The latter would have been risky as I've been hearing it was a "limited release."

I think there are examples where Creed claimed something was limited but actually wasn't; as well as examples when something truly was limited (e.g. Scent of Oger).

Regarding production, I've been hearing people on these boards say that credible sources tell them that 2,500 bottles were actually made. That's far more than the 500 Creed claims. Either way, I'm happy with my purchase as I greatly enjoy this scent and didn't want to risk not being able to purchase in the future.

Blog Entries

LOL...well, it's not so much that the things they say NEVER happen, it's just that it often takes a remarkable amount of time for that eventuality to actually occur!
    LOL!

CREED® time dilation - a known phenomenon. No worries!

Would like to sample this one. Being that it's so limited, I may never get that opportunity.

Ok guys, in your opinions is this a year around scent,or is it best suited for a particular season? Are you wearing it much in these winter months?

Ok guys, in your opinions is this a year around scent,or is it best suited for a particular season? Are you wearing it much in these winter months?
    For me, it's a year round scent. I got it in July. Wore it in the summer, later in the fall, and plan on wearing it sometime soon in the winter.

(3409)
    Last edited by hednic; 25th January 2014 at 06:37 AM.

Got a sample of this. A dichotomy for me. I get the uber excellence in this, but on the flip side I can see a lady bathed in it. I agree it *could lean on the fem side, but gosh, this ever so skates on the fence. I need to skin test it, but I'm not sure I'd wear a full bottle. Definitely well done.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Agree with hednic that this works as an all-season fragrance. I suppose if I had to pick a particular season, it seems best suited for the fall, but it would work just fine in almost any climate.

Also agree with Scentologist that is seems like it can certainly lean a little feminine (for me it's the abundance of ylang-ylang that makes it a bit more feminine) but it can certainly be worn by a man since there are a lot of other notes going on in the background keeping it from being too one-sided. Just a great scent IMO.

Okay, I changed clothes and about to throw this on my skin. Can't wait until tomorrow so here I go lol.

Redneck, that is totally hilarious! Love your sense of humor! Well if I may, I have skin tested this now. Its only been almost an hour, but I feel this is fairly linear and I can tell you what I think. It reminds me of something from the past, but much much better. I could be wrong as its been 2 decades since I've smelled it, does Dior Poison come to mind? Anyways, this is dark, and sexy. The Jasmine absolute is stunning. I get somewhat of an Original Santal vibe far in the background. I can now agree with my buddies Hednic and Dougczar that its a wonderful fragrance and as compared to Jardin di'Amalfi, this one is much more masculine and wearable. Very unique and sensuous. I imagine Zoro walking in with the mysterious mask on a red skyline evening about to tango with a brunette temptress lol

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me it was love at first sniff. Not too floral and not too spicy. Just the right mix.

(1654)
    Ditto for me, Hednic. I have two bottles and no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliDude View Post
    Regarding production, I've been hearing people on these boards say that credible sources tell them that 2,500 bottles were actually made.
    That would be me . I have a number of long term SA contacts in Harrods and made enquiries as to the number produced with three of them and each volunteered the 2500 figure without any prompting from me. I can certainly confirm after visiting last weekend that the store still had plenty on the shelves in the main perfumery and the gentlemans grooming lounge downstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Well if I may, I have skin tested this now. Its only been almost an hour, but I feel this is fairly linear and I can tell you what I think. It reminds me of something from the past, but much much better. I could be wrong as its been 2 decades since I've smelled it, does Dior Poison come to mind? Anyways, this is dark, and sexy. The Jasmine absolute is stunning. I get somewhat of an Original Santal vibe far in the background. I can now agree with my buddies Hednic and Dougczar that its a wonderful fragrance and as compared to Jardin di'Amalfi, this one is much more masculine and wearable. Very unique and sensuous. I imagine Zoro walking in with the mysterious mask on a red skyline evening about to tango with a brunette temptress lol
    Like your perception .

I tend to experience Jardin d'Amalfi as a more effeminate Erolfa and 1849 as a rather more butch Samsara. Both tread fine lines between the sexes but are still definitely unisex IMO. Despite mixed reaction here it still sits proudly in the upper echelons of my favorite releases for 2013.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 25th January 2014 at 07:53 AM.

I don't perceive perfumes as seasonal or venue-related but since you ask, it means you do.
    Therefore, I'd say cooler evenings.

for swap/sale:

OK guys, just ordered mine from Luis in NYC Creed Boutique. Super nice guy. They now have 8 left. I also asked for samples of Spice and Wood, Sublime Vanille, Fuilles Verte, Pure White and Windsor. No luck on that last one! $350 flat and it's on the way!

Whew! Thanks for all your input.

You just bought a winner, Chuck. Congrats!

I have to give this fragrance the best dry down award in my opinion. It's so smooth and elegant, might have to get a full bottle asap.

Basenotes Plus

OK guys, just ordered mine from Luis in NYC Creed Boutique. Super nice guy. They now have 8 left. I also asked for samples of Spice and Wood, Sublime Vanille, Fuilles Verte, Pure White and Windsor. No luck on that last one! $350 flat and it's on the way!

Congratulations, Chuck - you won't be disappointed .

Chuck, you will not be disappointed - had you waited, you may have missed out. Enjoy.

Thanks, guys. As I am a true Creed fanatic, I felt I owed it to myself to make getting this a priority. I sold off about 10 lesser scents to fund about half the purchase. With a renewed focus on quality, not quantity, I feel good about the purchase. This will make the next month seem easier to tolerate as I wait for my next purchase!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Glad to see more members in the 1849 club
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Good for you Chuck! Money well spent IMO. Enjoy it with each spray.

(3659)

Great pickup. I know this will be a winner for you.

Congrats on your purchase! One of my favorite Creed fragrances.

I have two healthy sprays on my arm right now! To me it is truly unisex, a little spicy, and maybe more of a cooler weather scent, but not so much as Royal Oud. I'm having a very difficult time of trying to think of a comparative scent! I know I get so impatient with others when they can't do that, so I feel like a hypocrite. It smells very luxurious, and there's a candy like quality to my nose. Like a sweet fruity presence. I'll give it a full wear tomorrow.

Funny aside...I also received a sample pack from Bond out of the blue featuring 3 of their "newest" scents. Curious, I did not realize that Wall Street was a new addition!!! Who do they take me for? Lol

I may get ridiculed, but the only similar scent I can think of would be a summer Eau version of JHL, if there was such a scent.

I have two healthy sprays on my arm right now! To me it is truly unisex, a little spicy, and maybe more of a cooler weather scent, but not so much as Royal Oud. I'm having a very difficult time of trying to think of a comparative scent! I know I get so impatient with others when they can't do that, so I feel like a hypocrite. It smells very luxurious, and there's a candy like quality to my nose. Like a sweet fruity presence. I'll give it a full wear tomorrow.

Funny aside...I also received a sample pack from Bond out of the blue featuring 3 of their "newest" scents. Curious, I did not realize that Wall Street was a new addition!!! Who do they take me for? Lol
    Congrats on a fine buy, Mr. ChuckW. 1849 is an unusual and complex fragrance. Give it several road tests. I get different effects with each wearing - one sign of a fine fragrance, IMO.

PS: Have you ever heard of New Haarlem? Riverside Drive? ALL NEW from Bond No. 9!
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 5th February 2014 at 12:14 AM.

I may get ridiculed, but the only similar scent I can think of would be a summer Eau version of JHL, if there was such a scent.
    Turns out, I'm not far off! 1849 and JHL share at least 4 common notes - bergamot, vanilla, patchouli and sandalwood.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 5th February 2014 at 12:44 AM.

I too find no similarity between 1849 and Royal Oud. Not even the slightest. IMO the closest scent to 1849 is Guerlain Samsara. I would say 1849 is a masculine version of Samsara. All in all, 1849 is one of my favorite Creed fragrances.

As Jon Rodgers and Calidue pointed out, Samsara is a good comparative. Thanks for coming up with that as I was struggling to remember what it reminded me of. I'm still testing this one and by the time I'm done, it'll most likely be gone. In terms of gender, it weaves back and forth on me. Very peculiar. Its no doubt unisex, but is playing hopscotch with a pogo stick.