Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

I think we've finally got things sorted out. Apologies to all for any confusion, including purplebird7, who may have misread my thinly expressed intent. Thanks for leading me by the hand, Ipp!

SLUMBERHOUSE SAMPLE PASS

So, officially, Badarun and I are offering a sample pass of the Slumberhouse fragrances below. We both have FBs of the starred items. For the rest we have one FB between us and, in most cases, one or more samples. If you're interested, please reply here or PM me. I'll list the pass order on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have a preference, I'll try to accommodate it. I'm thinking 1 ml per person, as Ipp suggests, but if you don't mind 2 people per ml then we can handle more.

What fun! Thanks, Badarun, for helping us sample so many unique fragrances. Here goes!

Baque
    Eki
    Flou
    Grev
    *Jeke
    Kere
    Mare
    *Norne
    Ore
    *Pear & Olive
    Rume
    Sana
    Sova
    *Vikt

Default Re: A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

What a great selection!

Excited for all involved, and big thanks to ScentFan and Badarun for setting up a great pass!
    Last edited by deadidol; 16th December 2013 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks for setting this up guys, I'd love to be included! I came late to the Slumberhouse party and didn't get to try many of the now discontinued fragrances. I live quite close to badarun, so should be quick and easy!

Good luck & well done guys!

Have fun everyone involved, and thanks to ScentFan and Arun for getting this together. I've tried all but Eki and Mare, but I feel fortunate enough to have tried the rest, so I'm alright .
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I don't think I have Eki, so you might want that taken off...

If you can send me a sample of Pear and Olive and Rume, that would be greatly appreciated. When I send to the next person. I will also send a sample of something (in wardrobe). Thanks guys!

I haven't tried any Slumberhouse scents so would love to be included in Sample Pass. Please feel free to put me towards the end. Work is a bit crazy right now, which slows down my ability to test and post reactions as quickly as I want to.

Basenotes Plus

I'd like in on this as there are some discontinueds that I haven't tried. I'll spare the ones that I have samples/bottles on so that there's more to go around of those.

Blog Entries

Thank you for this lovely opportunity, Scentfan and Badarun. I'm really looking forward to experiencing these and also reading reviews and impressions. Now about the name pronunciations....
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    I don't think I have Eki, so you might want that taken off...
    i have Eki, badarun (or will shortly).

Gosh, yes. I'm glad you got this going, ScentFan. Just carry on, you and badarun.

That quick, I think the sample pass is full with these participants:

JiveHippo, sjg3839, juanderer, mimielle, bogsc, purplebird7

Actually, I need to add myself to the list to sample badarun's and add him for my Eki. At 1 ml/person that's 7 ml of each perfume, a large amount from 30 ml FBs. Instead, let's stick to 5 ml max sample bottles and ask everyone to use less than 1 ml.

Sample Pass Order:

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer (Pear + Olive, Rume)
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    (Maybe we can think of a way to slip in Eki and Mare for Octavarium).

Badarun, I'll start getting things together and PM you about the details. Will ship when the FB's I'm awaiting arrive.

Thanks, all, for participating! Post your impressions here when the samples reach you. So looking forward to reading your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    That quick, I think the sample pass is full with these participants:

JiveHippo, sjg3839, juanderer, mimielle, bogsc, purplebird7

Actually, I need to add myself to the list to sample badarun's and add him for my Eki. At 1 ml/person that's 7 ml of each perfume, a large amount from 30 ml FBs. Instead, let's stick to 5 ml max sample bottles and ask everyone to use less than 1 ml.

Sample Pass Order:

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    (Maybe we can think of a way to slip in Eki and Mare for Octavarium).

Badarun, I'll start getting things together and PM you about the details. Will ship when the FB's I'm awaiting arrive.

Thanks, all, for participating! Post your impressions here when the samples reach you. So looking forward to reading your replies.
    Honestly, if you are not using the Slumberhouse samples, you probably only need to send 1mL of each. We really only need one or two sprays from a small vial, and 1mL is roughly 10 sprays, enough for each of us. If you want to air on the safe side, 2mL is really the max needed considering most will only wear it once.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Honestly, if you are not using the Slumberhouse samples, you probably only need to send 1mL of each. We really only need one or two sprays from a small vial, and 1mL is roughly 10 sprays, enough for each of us. If you want to air on the safe side, 2mL is really the max needed considering most will only wear it once.
    No idea, OctaVariuM. This is my first sample pass. What do others think?

Blog Entries

I'm happy just to get to experience them, honestly. But ideally? I'd like to be able to test on blotter, skin and hanky. 3 sprays
    ― Fernando Pessoa

If we're just doing wrist sampling, it could work, but I can't see how 7 people are supposed to get a full wearing from 1ml.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    If we're just doing wrist sampling, it could work, but I can't see how 7 people are supposed to get a full wearing from 1ml.

My main concern here is that these are given a fair assessment - some have been immediate loves with me but others take a few wears to appreciate & explore properly.
    Even those that I knew would be FB purchases from the start have continued to show different facets on further exploration.

Not trying to be a killjoy here but it's something to be considered - along with the fact that they are in limited supply.

1-2 sprays on skin is typically enough for me to decide whether I want to investigate a scent further by acquiring my own sample or small decant. I don't expect to decide whether I should buy full bottle through a sample pass that includes many participants. You all are being very generous as it is with sharing of your full bottles!

One or two sprays even from one of the official samples is more than enough to get a full wearing out of if you spray it on your neck like most fragrances. I've got probably 10+ of his samples and most of them are nearly full since I've worn them maybe 4 times each and the small amount of juice I wear each time is more than enough.

In the end it doesn't matter to me, I'm just trying to save the donators more juice. At the very most I think 2mL would be more than enough. Even if someone wears it twice, that's 2-4 sprays max (unless they are stupid and wear three sprays and overwhelm themselves) through6 people, so 12-24 sprays=1.2-2.4mL.

Basenotes Plus

I would be grateful to get a sample of any of them besides pear and olive as it's the only one I have tried.

One or two sprays even from one of the official samples is more than enough to get a full wearing out of if you spray it on your neck like most fragrances. I've got probably 10+ of his samples and most of them are nearly full since I've worn them maybe 4 times each and the small amount of juice I wear each time is more than enough.

In the end it doesn't matter to me, I'm just trying to save the donators more juice. At the very most I think 2mL would be more than enough. Even if someone wears it twice, that's 2-4 sprays max (unless they are stupid and wear three sprays and overwhelm themselves) through6 people, so 12-24 sprays=1.2-2.4mL.
    Sounds sensible!

Whatever you guys can provide is cool with me. Thanks!

I'm okay with sending up to 5ml max, as mentioned previously, as I don't want someone at the end of the pass to be sniffing out of the vial...

Scentfan - I have extrait & EDP versions of Ore, so please add 1 additional vial for this. & you can leave me out of Eki, as I read reviews about it being a floral, it might not interest me enough...

I'm actually counting 7 people in the pass:
    JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7

Also, I've found that 1ml is actually closer to 6 or 7 sprays (of course this depends on the atomizer). I really don't care how much juice is sent tbh, I'm just happy/grateful to get a chance to smell these. However, If we we're allotted one spray each, I would probably choose to spray my wrist as I feel I could judge the fragrance much more accurately that way.

Btw, I regularly wear 5 or 6 sprays of Ore extrait, and it's not overwhelming at all. I really can't imagine doing just one spray of any fragrance, no matter how strong.

What about badarun

Btw, I regularly wear 5 or 6 sprays of Ore extrait, and it's not overwhelming at all. I really can't imagine doing just
    one spray of any fragrance, no matter how strong.
    Jivehippo - having extensively used Slumberhouse, I can tell that for testing, one or max 2 sprays is more than sufficient, in most cases 1 will do a better job to you than 2...particularly for these 8 below:

Baque
    Grev
    *Jeke
    Kere
    *Norne
    Rume
    Sova
    *Vikt

I'm actually counting 7 people in the pass:
    JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7

Also, I've found that 1ml is actually closer to 6 or 7 sprays (of course this depends on the atomizer). I really don't care how much juice is sent tbh, I'm just happy/grateful to get a chance to smell these. However, If we we're allotted one spray each, I would probably choose to spray my wrist as I feel I could judge the fragrance much more accurately that way.

Btw, I regularly wear 5 or 6 sprays of Ore extrait, and it's not overwhelming at all. I really can't imagine doing just one spray of any fragrance, no matter how strong.
    Not to derail this too much, but 5 sprays! Jesus. You are the kind of guy I see posting about how you wear 10 sprays of A*Men or 4 sprays of Black Afghano, aren't you :P? That being said, Ore is pretty weak by Josh's standards. Try doing that with Jeke and you'll die.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Jivehippo - having extensively used Slumberhouse, I can tell that for testing, one or max 2 sprays is more than sufficient, in most cases 1 will do a better job to you than 2...particularly for these 8 below:

Baque
    Grev
    *Jeke
    Kere
    *Norne
    Rume
    Sova
    *Vikt
    For sure Arun. I was replying to Octavarium's comment where he said "unless they are stupid and wear three sprays and overwhelm themselves". If three sprays is stupid, then my 5 or 6 sprays must be downright mental. Like I said, I'm happy just to smell these. I do think that 5ml is waaayy too much.

Basenotes Institution

Slumberhouse scents need to be applied lightly guys/gals. Over do it and they will literally sicken you. Go easy at the beginning. Trust me.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Not to derail this too much, but 5 sprays! Jesus. You are the kind of guy I see posting about how you wear 10 sprays of A*Men or 4 sprays of Black Afghano, aren't you :P? That being said, Ore is pretty weak by Josh's standards. Try doing that with Jeke and you'll die.
    Sure, 5 or 6 sprays of A*Men. I've done the same with Norne, again, not overwhelming. I don't like Black Afgano, so no sprays of that please. Few weeks back I did 5 of Interlude Man, ok, that was a bit much, but it settled down after an hour or so. What's the point of wearing fragrance if nobody (including yourself) can smell you? Perhaps it's a skin type thing.
    Last edited by JiveHippo; 17th December 2013 at 02:08 PM.

I use 5-6 of the Ore extrait too, it's one of the easiest to wear w/o being cloying type from SH. On heavier Slumberhouse's I still go with 3 sprays, but all under clothing; even with that they last 24+ & project quite well.

Few weeks back I did 5 of Interlude Man, ok, that was a bit much
    Finally, something on which all of us are on the same page...

Sure, 5 or 6 sprays of A*Men. I've done the same with Norne, again, not overwhelming. I don't like Black Afgano, so no sprays of that please. Few weeks back I did 5 of Interlude Man, ok, that was a bit much, but it settled down after an hour or so. What's the point of wearing fragrance if nobody (including yourself) can smell you? Perhaps it's a skin type thing.
    I think you are right in saying it is a skin thing. One spray of Sova lasts days on me, and projects for at least half of that time. I wear frags for myself, so as long as I smell it, that's how much I use. I can see needing a few sprays of Norne or Ore though, but not the esprit Ore...that stuff doesn't need it!

Blog Entries

I'm pretty lavish with application of my own fragrances too but I wasn't expecting to get a full-on multi-spray wearing from a sample pass, just test enough to decide if I want to do further investigation on my own (for the in-production) or to say 'I've been lucky enough to test it' for the out of production limiteds. 5 ml of so many types among less than 10 people is very generous but I do also know that it's fun to share and gift a special experience to those who will appreciate it too, so I'll not protest it!
    Just imagine me smiling and saying 'ooooooohhhhh! Thank you!!', and planning to give the best feedback I can for the thread.
    ― Fernando Pessoa

I do think the line is best explored with a good dousing as these are scents designed to wear you rather than the other way around; you'll be able to get a sense of what's going on with them a small amount although nuance and the full SH experience might get lost a little.

I'm a 1/2 spray guy on most of them, but I actually can pile on the Ore and the Norne as they have a cacooning effect.
    Last edited by deadidol; 17th December 2013 at 06:40 PM.

Dear friends, my goodness. Leave us not leap into a gift horse's perfume bottles. Most of these perfumes are extinct! They'll never be on sale again and can't be bought at any price. Even the ones still on sale are expensive. I woke up deciding to stick to my original intention of offering an experience of Slumberhouse perfumes, though not enough to bathe in them. One day they'll be worth an awful lot. I want to leave some for my heirs.

We'll send enough for everyone to have a couple of sprays. Hope you enjoy them.

Great stuff, ScentFan & Badarun - looking forward to reading members' impressions!

Status of Slumberhouse Pass

Hello, in the pass. Here's today's status. Ready to send to Badarun in 5 ml spray bottles -- scotch tape over the labels, the tops secured with yellow plastic tape, all enclosed in a gold net bag, boxed and massively cushioned -- so he can sniff as desired & complete the sample set are the following. I had extra of two, so I topped them off.

Eki - 5 ml
    Jeke - 2.5 ml
    Ore - 2 ml
    Pear + Olive - 5 ml
    Sova - 2 ml
    Vikt - 2 ml

as well as empty, labeled, taped sprayers for what he can spare of:

Baque
    Flou
    Grev
    Kere
    *Mare
    *Norne
    *Rume
    *Sana

*All goes in the mail upon arrival of empty vials for these last four. Hopefully tomorrow.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 24th December 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Thanks!

If a spot remains, I'd like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slumberhouse Pass Begins

Welcome KBF1972 (almost missed you), remik and markc! The pass procedure follows, but let me start with a poem that wrote itself over these days of preparation:

Slumberhouse Dream
    by moi

Late one night a coach approached;
    dark visitors left it
    robed in draw-strung velvet
    and entered my abode —

scents of harvests wafting in,
    of fallen leaves in winter ice,
    seeds frozen in the ground
    awaiting spring,
    sunny summer meadows.

A voluptuous revelry they made,
    telling stories
    of earthen glory,
    enchanting me past star-strewn midnight
    and into day.

The generosity of these scents, their unchecked splendor and beauty, so captivated me that I recant. Please do happily leap into this gift horse's perfume bottles! But don't let my enthusiasm influence your response! I look forward to the joy of vicariously sniffing through a nose other than my own.

Between us Badarun, JiveHippo and I are sending 5 ml of each scent. Assuming 10 sprays/ml, this means 5 sprays each for the 10 of us. For Slumberhouse, this translates to multiple wearings. If you need less, it will help ensure enough for everyone.

Here is the final sample pass order.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

Please PM your address to the name that precedes yours and drop a note here when you've mailed to the next person. There's no easy way to send only certain requests to a participant, so just sample what you like and ignore the rest. Ipp, I think you said you want to comment using bottles of your own? Feel free. Same for you, OctaVariuM, if you like, and others.

Enjoy!

Sample Pass Contents: 5 ml each of

Baque
    Eki
    Flou
    Grev
    Jeke
    Kere
    Mare
    Norne
    Ore (extrait)
    Ore EdP
    Pear + Olive
    Rume
    Sana
    Sova
    Vikt
    Last edited by ScentFan; 28th December 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: correct no. of participants and sprays each

Have fun all & well done to the organisers!

Thanks, ScentFan, will comment if appropriate from my lot!

Wow, this got up to 5 ml each? Well, if there is room then, I would love to join. I won't need much, as I have sniffed/own a few of these, but there are several that I would love to smell. No worries if this is full though.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Wow, this got up to 5 ml each? Well, if there is room then, I would love to join. I won't need much, as I have sniffed/own a few of these, but there are several that I would love to smell. No worries if this is full though.
    It's all boxed and taped with postage applied and would have gone yesterday except the Post Office was closed. However, maybe we can tag you onto the end. markc, if there's anything left when you're done, would you forward it to cello? Cello, why don't you PM markc your address, just in case, with a note referencing this message?

It's all boxed and taped with postage applied and would have gone yesterday except the Post Office was closed. However, maybe we can tag you onto the end. markc, if there's anything left when you're done, would you forward it to cello? Cello, why don't you PM markc your address, just in case, with a note referencing this message?
    Absolutely. I only intend to try the few I haven't already tried, but yes by all means I can send whatever is left

Great! Thanks, markc.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Absolutely. I only intend to try the few I haven't already tried, but yes by all means I can send whatever is left

Great! I also only need to sniff about 3 that I have not tried or own, so I'll coordinate with markc as it gets closer if those are still available. Great job on getting the pass going ScentFan!
    And if by the time this gets to me my bottle of Zahd has arrived, I'd be happy to decant some and ship backwards to those on the list that did not buy a bottle while it was available.
    Last edited by cello; 30th December 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Y'all do know that I am dying of curiosity to try these right?!! Dad-gum Josh and his scents full of intrigue and unusual components! The more I read, the more I suspect his offerings are straight up my alley.

Danieq, we Slumberhouse fans welcome all converts. I can honestly say I've yet to smell ANYthing like Josh has produced and I've been sniffing pretty much non-stop for 3 months, now. For me, each one is an experience in itself -- quite apart from whether or not I can wear it, e.g., whether the Mona Lisa matches my living room decor, is irrelevant to its status as a masterpiece. I notice some of the earlier Slumberhouses make me sneeze (not the later ones), but they, too, are wonderful. The question raised today -- if you had to live with only 3 the rest of your life, which would it be? -- clarified things. I thought about the beauties in my growing collection, imagined them all disappearing, and knew I'd have to keep at least one Slumberhouse. I've actually felt uncomfortable since posting my choices. Could I really live with only Vikt?

So, welcome. You're number 1 on the waiting list. If anything remains when cello is done, it comes to you.

Oh, Cello, what a wonderful offer about Zahd! Thank you so much!

Off with me to my spreadsheets (are you really going now?). Yes, really!

It's with an anxious heart that I update you on the Slumberhouse Sample Pass. On Saturday, December 28 I carefully packed up the following, adding a note to you in a special envelope, and printed out a USPS mailing label, first class to badarun in Canada, with tracking. The post office closed early that day so on Monday, Dec 30, I took the box there. Since it was already stamped, I handed it to one of the clerks as I've done many times. She nodded like they always do. Now, 9 days later, and the tracking number has never shown up on their system, except to confirm I printed a label when I did. I phone the post office and am told not to worry. Chances that it is lost are infinitesimal. It is surely on its way.

Please add your good thoughts to the prompt arrival to badarun's door of, as near as I can remember:

Eki - 5 ml
    Jeke - 5 ml
    Ore - 2 ml
    Pear + Olive - 5 ml
    Sova - 2 ml
    Vikt - 5 ml

Plus labeled 5 ml spray bottles for the other 7.

Meanwhile, I will beseech the gods of the mail on our behalf.

Any good news yet, guys?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Any good news yet, guys?
    None. Just back from a trip and yesterday was a holiday here. Today is the day I go to the Post Office and raise a fuss.

Just curious; did you disguise the contents to get through customs? I.e. Did you write on the customs form that these were something other than perfumes? If they get even an inkling that fragrance is being shipped, they'll confiscate it and kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Just curious; did you disguise the contents to get through customs? I.e. Did you write on the customs form that these were something other than perfumes? If they get even an inkling that fragrance is being shipped, they'll confiscate it and kill it.
    I think I did, deadidol. Confiscate? Not return it?

I think I did, deadidol. Confiscate? Not return it?
    Depends on the country. Often, it's confiscate and subject the recipient to testing charges in which most of the juice is lost in a lab. Badarun will be contacted through the recipient information on the customs form if that's what happened. When you fill out that form, it should be completed as "gift" and listed as something innocuous like "glass beads" or "ceramic figurines."

Give it more time, but be careful following up. Be sure not to let them know this is about perfume.

I recently sent a package to Italy that was confiscated and destroyed because the post office figured out what was in there. I made the mistake of writing "lotion" on the customs form--something I'd done for other countries--but it failed here. I sent something to Italy a couple of weeks ago as "decorative bottles" and that made it through.
    Last edited by deadidol; 21st January 2014 at 03:56 PM.

I've had couple of fragrances being confiscated & "destroyed"; however, both will show updates on carrier used by sender @ country of origin & if transferred to Canada Post, we will be able to see the pckg still stuck @ Canada Customs / Canada Border Services Agency & if being confiscated, they will send a letter saying, product XYZ in the pckg is not permissible to be shipped internationally, etc etc & that it will be destroyed.

Yay! It showed up. USPS tracking shows it delivered to badarun at 6:44 am this morning! Hope it didn't wake him. Wow, what a scare that was!

The Slumberhouse Sample Pass is alive! Enjoy, enjoy. So looking forward to your reviews.

Yay! So glad it all worked out!