Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

Sweet!!

Basenotes Plus

So glad to hear this worked out OK!!!

badarun - after you are done with testing, you have to cross the border and mail the package to the next person from within the US to avoid another possible disaster. It's sad how our US/Canadian border is so "secure" when we are practically the same country. I'm myself Canadian as well, living in the US, and it always bugs me how difficult it is to cross this silly border when you can travel just about anywhere else in the world with far less fuss and issues. Or shipping stuff across the border - you feel like a criminal most of the time, even if you do declare everything 100% properly.

Well, looking forward to testing Slumberhouse one of these days!! :-)

Great stuff - looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Yay! It showed up. USPS tracking shows it delivered to badarun at 6:44 am this morning! Hope it didn't wake him. Wow, what a scare that was!

The Slumberhouse Sample Pass is alive! Enjoy, enjoy. So looking forward to your reviews.
    Yet to arrive; Canada Post has the tendency to show delivered ; however, it should get delivered later today, around the next 2-3hrs. If the pkg can be stuffed into the mailbox, they show it as complete ; however it's now "out for delivery" - this is again based on my experience... Anyways, I'm expecting 1 more pkg and my sis is there to collect both, I'll update once my sis calls me abt the arrivals...

& very glad that it's finally here...

I must admit that I have some reservations about the way a sample pass of this particular line might work, despite the fact that the organizers have put together extremely generous amounts. I fear it'd be kind of like quickly glancing at a beautiful, yet complex work of art through a sheet of glass for a brief second rather than absorbing and contemplating over an extended period, but at least it'll open people up to what the line is doing. My own experience with them is that many took a long time to learn to appreciate and they seem very contingent in general; it's not a line that you can simply sniff and assess on the spot. That's one of the many ways in which they're not like standard perfumes.

I would also advise against using test strips (as would the perfumer) as the materials play out radically different when experienced this way and will oftentimes only unlock an aspect / single ingredient of the composition rather than the whole swirl that's extremely dependent on body chemistry (and, to a degree, the kind of mood they evoke -- which isn't always one of buoyancy). I'd also advise against sampling more than one in a day (which could be a problem, time-wise) as these are scents designed to alter perceived experience -- the way to wear Norne, for example, is to allow it to engulf you for a whole day. Whether the wearer finds it "nice" is (somewhat) irrelevant with this line as it's more about the aesthetic effect. With that said, I'm looking forward to hearing some impressions, too
    Last edited by deadidol; 21st January 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Deadidol, many thanks for that perspective. I'm always one to err on the side of personal freedom and it's in that spirit that I emptied up to 5 ml from my bottles. I'm the kind of person who swiftly knows what I like -- knew I'd buy these glories practically on first sniff. Wearing them only confirmed this decision. My intention is that each participant approach the sample pass in his or her own way (deliberate or lightning quick, as they prefer) -- mindful of the others eagerly waiting and that the post office has already imposed a three-week delay.

IOW, everyone do take account of all advice, especially experienced advice like deadidol's, then relax and enjoy these perfumes that I love. I'm eagerly awaiting your honest reactions, whether you can't stand them or fall in love, like me.

p.s. There are 14 fragrances (15 counting the two versions of Ore). If each participant hangs on to the samples for two weeks, it will be June before the pass is complete. With 1 person on the waiting list, it would be July. I'm hoping a week max will be enough.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 21st January 2014 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    but I think most of us can get a decent idea whether a scent is worth testing on skin at all or whether to skip it and move on to another sample.
    This was my concern. If you test these on anything other than skin, you really won't be testing them at all. They respond very different on non-skin things due to the materials, plus they're more about an overall experience. Just keep in mind that unless you spend time wearing them, there's a good chance that you might be missing most of the concept / idea / intent. I doubt it'll be much of a concern, but I predict there'll be a lot of quick dismissals coming up soon

That was my concern as well, deadidol - sniffing a vial won't give any clue.
    I remember that it took me a few tries to appreciate Mare even after having purchased a few others - by which time it was sold out anyway!

I am just on the waiting list and they may never make it to me at all but here is my two scents. If the scents need time, why not allow two weeks per person. It won't kill anyone to wait and the fragrances will be given a better chance at being understood.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I hear you, deadidol and Ipp, but the fact is I fell passionately in love with these fragrances on first sniff! I bought them at once and to this day my initial assessment of their superiority stands unchallenged by any house other than, a couple of days ago, Sonoma Scent Studio, which IMO excels in an entirely different way. It's really impossible to compare them, like comparing sunsets to sunrises. In each there is fire blazing on the horizon. Such is the case with Slumberhouse and SSS. Honestly, I don't understand the caution. If one can love on first sniff, why not? Is your concern that people will hate on first sniff? If that's the case, I join you. Everyone, give these scents a full chance before deciding you don't like them. I've been sniffing non-stop 4 months and have encountered nothing out there like Slumberhouse.

Pckg arrived y'day - I had a long day, so couldn't respond to this thread y'day night. I should start decanting tomorrow & should set the package off by Friday / Saturday latest...Enjoy it whenever it gets to you; whoever is sampling a SH for the first time - be prepared...it will be like nothing else you have sampled.

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Pckg arrived y'day - I had a long day, so couldn't respond to this thread y'day night. I should start decanting tomorrow & should set the package off by Friday / Saturday latest...Enjoy it whenever it gets to you; whoever is sampling a SH for the first time - be prepared...it will be like nothing else you have sampled.
    Wonderful! You're changing this pass from good to awesome. Thanks, Badarun!

Update - package ready to be shipped out to jivehippo; however, waiting for him to send over his address. Will ship the pkg tomorrow.

Jeke (& maybe P&O too, but it still is up to the brim) had leaked - i've filled Jeke back to 5ml again and have taped it again (not as good as scentfan's packaging, but this might hold good).

Update - package ready to be shipped out to jivehippo; however, waiting for him to send over his address. Will ship the pkg tomorrow.

Jeke (& maybe P&O too, but it still is up to the brim) had leaked - i've filled Jeke back to 5ml again and have taped it again (not as good as scentfan's packaging, but this might hold good).

Thanks, badarun, I thought I'd taped those atomizers down. Appreciate it.

Thanks, badarun, I thought I'd taped those atomizers down. Appreciate it.
    You had, not your fault at all, ur packaging was excellen... Think the screw in atomizer is the issue...also only 1 or 2 at the most had leaked, so hopefully no more till it reaches the last person on this run...

The SH sample pass is on!

I will be adding Rume, Norne, and Mare to the package. This is gonna be fun!

I will start posting reviews/impressions of the ones I've tried already!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    The SH sample pass is on!

I will be adding Rume, Norne, and Mare to the package. This is gonna be fun!

I will start posting reviews/impressions of the ones I've tried already!

So exciting, JiveHippo! I'll PM you my address, being next. Can't wait to smell the ones new to me, too. Many thanks for contributing! Here's the pass order again. Everyone be sure the person before you on the list has your mailing address.

JiveHippo
    ScentFan
    sjg3839
    juanderer
    mimielle
    bogsc
    purplebird7
    KBF1972
    remik
    markc

If there's anything left:
    danieq

Pckg shipped to Jivehippo - should reach him latest by Wednesday (think it might reach by tuesday - but we never know how quickly they can get it there; we are just about 60 miles from each other).

Pckg shipped to Jivehippo - should reach him latest by Wednesday (think it might reach by tuesday - but we never know how quickly they can get it there; we are just about 60 miles from each other).
    Great, badarun. Do you want to post any scent impressions?

Thanks for that, badarun - lovely descriptions - I can smell them over here

Hey, I wish I had the noses to dissect a fragrance like a few others here, it's just amazing & I really admire their ability...

Me too - but giving a great picture is just as helpful!

Wow, terrific, badarun. I aspire to your level of analysis and will study this. Right now I have to go watch The Bachelor (a previous one) marry...what was her name again? Can't help it. I'm a Libra, the sign of marriage.

thanks for sharing your impressions Badarun, I really enjoyed going through them.

Here's my take (disclaimer - I’m nowhere near the good noses we have here on BN...). On a general take, I find both Slumberhouse & Juniperridge to be the most natural parfums.
    You do?? Thanks. Rapidly googling.

You do?? Thanks. Rapidly googling.
    JR is difficult too, but only bcoz they seem much more denser, one of the colognes I have actually sticks to the skin. But I find them nowhere close to Slumberhouse with rgds to complexity or difficulty / challenging factor.

JR is difficult too, but only bcoz they seem much more denser, one of the colognes I have actually sticks to the skin. But I find them nowhere close to Slumberhouse with rgds to complexity or difficulty / challenging factor.
    Thanks. Yes, I gathered they're probably more rustic.

i would do everything to test norne but i live in italy :-((

Quote Originally Posted by absynthium View Post

If you know anyone going to London, Roullier White stock them & have a sample service.

What would happen if I mailed you a sample? Would some customs ogre confiscate it?

As we have seen in the main Slumberhouse thread, members may wish to bear in mind that incidents of persons soliciting Slumberhouse products are not uncommon on the internet (not referring to present company).
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...39#post3055539

In any case, any form of soliciting of goods or any other form of trading in discussion threads is not permitted here, however good the intentions.
    There is a Marketplace and products are occasionally listed there, or suitably qualified members may start a 'Wanted' thread.

Back to the sample pass please
    Last edited by lpp; 28th January 2014 at 01:13 PM.

Package arrived today ! Only problem, it looks like now Eki has leaked . There's only around 3ml left so perhaps we will have to limit ourselves to one spray of that one. I'm going to transfer what's left into 2 2.5ml atomizers. These particular atomizers have never leaked on me.

Also, looking at the decants, it seems like a daunting task to sample them all in one week. There are 18 scents altogether, so I think 2 weeks is a more realistic timeframe.

I will add some more impressions tonight if I have time.

Package arrived today ! Only problem, it looks like now Eki has leaked . There's only around 3ml left so perhaps we will have to limit ourselves to one spray of that one. I'm going to transfer what's left into 2 2.5ml atomizers. These particular atomizers have never leaked on me.

Also, looking at the decants, it seems like a daunting task to sample them all in one week. There are 18 scents altogether, so I think 2 weeks is a more realistic timeframe.

I will add some more impressions tonight if I have time.
    If I get a vote, I have zero problem whatsoever with people taking 2 weeks. Patience comes easy to me, especially for a good reward hahahaha. I say take your time, they'll get down the line soon enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, if you need two weeks then take it. These perfumes are worth the attention.

p.s. Throwing out these atomizers I bought that (grrrr) leak!

Just wondering whether anyone has heard from mimielle recently?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    As we have seen in the main Slumberhouse thread, members may wish to bear in mind that incidents of persons soliciting Slumberhouse products are not uncommon on the internet (not referring to present company).

In any case, any form of soliciting of goods or any other form of trading in discussion threads is not permitted here, however good the intentions.
    There is a Marketplace and products are occasionally listed there, or suitably qualified members may start a 'Wanted' thread.

Confused. If I'm missing something, Ipp, please PM me.

Just wondering whether anyone has heard from mimielle recently?
    I was wondering the same thing.

It shouldn't be confusing, ScentFan - soliciting goods &/or trading is not permitted in the discussion threads.
    If anyone wishes to query Moderation they should do so by p.m.

Never mind, Ipp, I'll go back and read the whole thread and figure it out.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 28th January 2014 at 07:05 PM.

As requested.

As requested.
    Ipp, I'm sure all is clear to you, but I haze zero idea what you're talking about.

If some here wish to query moderation issues they should do so by pm.

I think she's referring to the discussion about relentless efforts by BN lurkers trying to buy collections of fragrance which was discussed in the other Slumberhouse thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...use-Discussion.

As we have just seen in the other thread, it has been a problem here in the past and therefore any soliciting, whether of samples or bottles, should not be encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I think she's referring to the discussion about relentless efforts by BN lurkers trying to buy collections of fragrance which was discussed in the other Slumberhouse thread http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...use-Discussion.
    Right. Deadidol explained that and I appreciated it because one of them had contacted me in private. If someone's trying that in this thread, I've totally missed it.

Get away, you naughty ones, and leave our Slumberhouse Pass in peace!

Shipping to Italy is a pain as customs there are really strict; you have disguise packages and whatnot. With that said, some of the locations that carry the line might be able to do this. It's worth hitting up a few of them via email to see if they'd be willing to ship samples to you. Really, the best way to get Euro representation is through official distribution, but then you have the problem of the IFRA.

Oh! Got it now.

Blog Entries

It's exciting to see the pass underway, I hope the leakages are under control. I don't have much experience with decants and types of bottles to put them in, are some bottle companies more reputable than others?
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Mimielle, my experience and that of others I've discussed the issue with is that items from http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/ never seem to leak and they offer reasonable rates.

Basenotes Plus

I see Slumberhouse relaunched Vikt today ( http://www.basenotes.net/content/193...-relaunch-Vikt ), so I couldn't resist and placed an order for a sample pack from Indie Scents - 5 x 1ml samples, with the re-released Vikt included. I'm on the sample pass list, closer to the end of it, so this will help me with testing at least the 5 most popular scents in their line while waiting for the sample pass to arrive later this summer.

Whatever I have left from my samples by then, I'm willing to include in the sample pass for others to enjoy, especially if I see some of the samples are getting little low on juice.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I see Slumberhouse relaunched Vikt today ( http://www.basenotes.net/content/193...-relaunch-Vikt ), so I couldn't resist and placed an order for a sample pack from Indie Scents - 5 x 1ml samples, with the re-released Vikt included. I'm on the sample pass list, closer to the end of it, so this will help me with testing at least the 5 most popular scents in their line while waiting for the sample pass to arrive later this summer.

Whatever I have left from my samples by then, I'm willing to include in the sample pass for others to enjoy, especially if I see some of the samples are getting little low on juice.
    I think this is a mistake as Vikt was re-issued last year, not today. The reissue has been out for a few months now, but either way, it's great, so enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Mimielle, my experience and that of others I've discussed the issue with is that items from http://www.accessoriesforfragrances.com/ never seem to leak and they offer reasonable rates.
    Thanks! Had that link once and lost it. Replacing the leakers with these. When the pass comes to me from JiveHippo, I'll transfer the samples. No more leaks!

Flou:
    I'd love to smell this on a woman!

Smells great on a woman - be it my girlfriend, my sis or my b'ful niece...

Smells great on a woman - be it my girlfriend, my sis or my b'ful niece...
    So looking forward to smelling Flou!

Baque:

Goes on very similar to Sova, and also brings to mind certain aspects of Jeke. Spices, dried fruits, and eventually tobacco. It's one of the more intense SH scents. In the mid I detect oud, or perhaps some other intense woody note. In the drydown, a little vanilla. Lasts 12hrs plus and projects very well. Very nice!

I've gotta say, deadidol was right, this is tough! I've worn a different SH frag almost every day for the last week and half. TBH, I'm all Slumberhoused out! These aren't the type of fragrances that I like to wear every day. For the few I have remaining, I will resort to wrist sampling.

Interesting to read through these reviews, awesome all. Thanks for sharing. I first dove into Slumberhouse about 2 years ago, so it's interesting hearing the perspectives of the newly initiated persons.

Interesting badarun, you are the only person that I've seen on basenotes that finds Sova to be quite animalic. Something in the fragrance gave me a headache, so I could not test extensively. However, my few times with the fragrance I got a Beeswax/Castoreum/Honey/Burnt Woods. I much preferred Baque to Sova as it was more mellow an not animalic in the slightest. To be clear though, I'm speaking of the first release, not the newer stuff. I'm not sure if the new bottles are the same as the first major release in August of 2012.

Default A Slumberhouse Sample Pass

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Interesting badarun, you are the only person that I've seen on basenotes that finds Sova to be quite animalic. speaking of the first release, not the newer stuff.
    I find Sova to be extremely animalic. It's loaded with castoreum for one thing, but beeswax absolute, contra to what it might seem, smells more like sweat and dirt than honey. I'm wearing Sova today in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Interesting badarun, you are the only person that I've seen on basenotes that finds Sova to be quite animalic.
    Sova to me - probably the most animalic I've smelt so far (including Masque Montecristo) - awaiting Leather Oud to arrive sometime this week / next, this is supposedly more challenging according to many - will wait to pass judgement.