Code of Conduct

Question New to fragrances. Going to buy/sample for first time. Suggestions?

Hi All,

I'm 42yrs old and just got interested in colognes. An ex GF got me some D&G Light Blue and I used that one bottle for 3yrs. I see that frag is not very well regarded on here. I actually liked it though found it very weak. Instead of buying it again I decided to investigate. At first I just got some cologne using Amazon as my guide. I picked up some Curve for Men and Perry Ellis 360 Red. The Curve is probably a watered down bottle. It’s OKAY, but not great to me even if it was full strength. The Perry Ellis smells like Aqua Di Gio from reviews I’ve read and people thought that’s what I was wearing. I just had a co-worker tell me I smelled “delicious”. Again, it’s OKAY, but I don’t feel it’s me. That led me to more research and to this site. I was promptly overwhelmed and intrigued at the same time.

I have a Sephora store near me and it seems a good place to go. Or is Macys, Dillards, etc...better for selection? I’m hoping they have sample sizes of most frags. I’ve never shopped for a fragrance before. Any tips? Is it possible to sample many scents with a “fresh nose”?

I’d like to get a very moderate collection of fragrances over time.

While I do like the “fresh” scents, I think I’d like to get something more masculine and Winter appropriate next, but I’m open. I’d like to keep the price $100 and under. I don’t mind spending a bit more for something that blows me away and would be my “signature” scent...up to $150. In no particular order I’d like to sample the following:

Fahrenheit Cologne by Christian Dior
    Angel Men Pure Malt
    A*Men Pure Havane
    L'Homme Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent
    La Nuit de L'Homme Yves Saint Laurent
    AQVA Cologne by Bvlgari
    L'eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake
    Diptyque Tam Dao
    D & G The One
    Cool Water
    Spicebomb VIKTOR & ROLF

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dean

Default Re: New to fragrances. Going to buy/sample for first time. Suggestions?

Any of the above smell very different from their opening scent?

Basenotes Plus

First of all, welcome to basenotes! From the list you mentioned i saw a few i have, Fahrenheit, cool water, l'homme, and the one. They are all great fragrances and i recommend them all. The fragrances do smell different from opening to dry down. But its a good different! some may not change as much but if they do its for the best.

Try going to department stores to sniff fragrances. if you really like a fragrance then take a note of it. You can go to online discount retailers to get them cheaper than department stores. so instead of buying 1 in a department store you can get 2 online for around the same price! hope i helped!

As for how they change over time

Quote Originally Posted by Dean407 View Post

Fahrenheit Cologne by Christian Dior
    stays mostly the same

Angel Men Pure Malt
    less fruit, more vanilla

L'Homme Cologne by Yves Saint Laurent
    gets spicier, a little vetiver and sweetness

La Nuit de L'Homme Yves Saint Laurent
    goes from sweet and watery to spicy

AQVA Cologne by Bvlgari
    gets a little dark and spicy

L'eau d'Issey by Issey Miyake
    smoothens out and gets better

D & G The One
    doesn't last very long - fades away

Cool Water
    gets a little more woody and less aquatic

Spicebomb VIKTOR & ROLF
    stays the same but dramatically weakens

Banned
    Blog Entries

Since fresh is your preference..
    Issey Miyake
    Clean Shower Fresh

Also
    GPH 2
    Polo Modern Reserve
    Burberry London

Gucci Pour Homme II or Terre D Hermes for the winter.

Welcome to you! Perhaps Burberry London might be something that would interest you.
    (1661)
    Last edited by hednic; 16th December 2013 at 07:35 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Definitely L'eau D'issey by Miyake and obviously Fahrenheit are must haves
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Fresh and Masculine = F. Malle Géranium Pour Monsieur: a blast of mint followed by geranium.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions and info, guys. I just ordered a Creed Aventus vial sample and Cuba Gold. Talk about different ends of the spectrum. :-)

I wanted to see what the fuss is about and for the price, the Cuba Gold has some fans.

Is theperfumedcourt one of the better places to get samples? I may not get to the store for a couple weeks.

For a high end bottle try out Creed's Millesime Emperial, an awesome summer scent, you can get a 50ml decant off a split, just keep your eyes peeled on the basenotes splits forum...

For a great masculine winter scent and day scent during fall and spring, try out Terre D'Hermes, I love that one for sure!

Basenotes Member

Perry ellis and mont blanc have a few good cheapies. Your list looks like a very good place to start.