Code of Conduct

Thread: er... hello!

Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default er... hello!

Hey There!

I'm 21 and trying to transition from the AXE body spray stuff to cologne.

I don't know much about Cologne and Fragrances and i'm currently trying to learn about them. I got a bottle of Dolce & Gabanna Cologne from my sister last Christmas or so, and decided to open it today and try it out and to my surprise I liked it alot (http://www.amazon.com/Dolce-Gabbana-...abbana+cologne) .

I'm currently really interested in the different types of Cologne and how all of them are different. I must say though I'm a mere college student and I am limited financially when it comes to Cologne.

What are some Colognes you all would recommend for a college student that's limited financially? I tend to like sweeter / fresher smells as opposed to spicy smells. (I enjoy Chrome by Azzarro, and a few others as well) .

Also, is there a place I might be able to find out which Fragrances are better for what kind of weather / etc?

Thanks!

P.S I'll probably try to sample ones you all suggest at Sephora, I don't mind a few expensive ones here and there either.
    Last edited by oidesu; 16th December 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Default Re: er... hello!

Hey and welcome to base notes! Im glad to hear that you are leaping towards getting into fragrances. As you are sort of new to the fragrance game the one piece of advice i can give you is to sniff around. Go into department stores and make a note of fragrances you really like. You can find most department store fragrances online and they are a lot cheaper. I know how money can be an issue. I too am a college student and have financial restrictions, which sucks! But like i said before, you can find them a lot cheaper online.

Hi and welcome!
    If you get a chance, try Set Sail St. Barts for Men by Tommy Bahama. The main notes are lime, tequila, guava, vanilla and palm wood. It's fresh and beachy, with the guava giving it sweetness and a nice line of boozy tequila running through it. See the review page for all of the notes and what others think of it: http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128385.html
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Banned
    Blog Entries

Welcome
    all under 30 bucks
    360 RED-WHITE-BLACK
    Bergamotto Marino
    Chrome Legend
    MJ Legend
    Silver Scent
    Altamir
    Horizon

Gucci Pour Homme II is a good one.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

+1 Bergamotto Marino
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard

Welcome to you! Enjoy your time at Basenotes!

I'd suggest sampling Acqua di Gio and Eau Sauvage to see if they are to your liking. They can be found at Sephora.

(1659)
    Last edited by hednic; 16th December 2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Get a Mont Blanc INDIVIDUEL ...sweet well made and easy on the wallet...welcome and enjoy
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Welcome!

As others were saying, a great idea would be to sample a lot before committing, tastes can change a lot when you start expanding your horizons. Also, bring a pencil with you at the store and write the name of the frag on the paper strip. Then you can reexamine at home. Paper is not a substitute for skin, but it gives a pretty good idea of what a perfume is about.

As for stuff you could try, a few things in different styles:
    fresh: Guerlain Vetiver Tom Ford Grey Vetiver, Mugler Cologne
    sweetish gourmand: Dior Homme,
    Woody, intense: Bulgari Black, Aramis, A*Men (also in its variations like Pure Malt)

A very good quality/price ratio is found in Aramis perfumes (owned by Estee Lauder), thouhg the full line is usually carried by Macy's, not Sephora. anyway, Tuscany, Aramis 900, Havana, etc.

cacio

Thanks alot for the suggestions,

I'll be going to Sephora tomorrow (and probably macys) and sampling them.

What kind of fragrances are generally popular amongst people? Such as Beachy/Sweet/ Fruity or Spicy/Woody ?

I'd say that in the US the masculine best sellers are sweetish-woody things (like one million, play etc), or calone loaded marine things (eau d'issey, aqua di gio, light blue). I dislike both, but that's what seems to sell. Feminine best sellers seem to be pink syrupy things, made inedible by sharp clean florals.

cacio

Thanks!

Has anyone tried Paradise By Alfred Sung For Men. Eau De Toilette Spray , if so how does it smell? Friends of mine have told me to purchase it yet I don't know what it smells like.

Also, what are some online sellers of cologne that sell authentic cologne outside of fragrancenet ? I'm looking into Overstock and Amazon are those two decent websites to purchase from?
    Last edited by oidesu; 16th December 2013 at 11:41 PM.

Welcome to Basenotes!

+1 Perry Ellis 360° Red

Nautica Voyage

Quote Originally Posted by oidesu View Post
    Thanks!

Also, what are some online sellers of cologne that sell authentic cologne outside of fragrancenet ? I'm looking into Overstock and Amazon are those two decent websites to purchase from?
    FragranceNet is one of the most reputable. I never purchased from Overstock, but I have purchased through Amazon -- both from a 3rd party seller using Amazon, and from Amazon itself. That is a pretty safe way to go, as long as the actual person you are dealing with (if it not Amazon) has very good feedback. You might also want to look at BeautyEncounter. You should also check out LuckyScent, but they don't have the deep "Grey Market" discounts you might be looking for.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by oidesu View Post
    Thanks!

Has anyone tried Paradise By Alfred Sung For Men. Eau De Toilette Spray , if so how does it smell? Friends of mine have told me to purchase it yet I don't know what it smells like.

Beauty encounter and FragranceX. I'm weary of overstock, and amazon depends on what store you buy it from.

just got Nautica Voyage love the smell.

Anyone colognes that are in the same category as it?