Code of Conduct

Default Does anyone mix different fragrances to make the signature scent?

I recently got interested in fragrance layering and want to try it for myself.

I'm new to niche and have no clue on how to do it right.

How do you basenoters mix different fragrances & what are the favorite combis?
    And Death Shall Have No Dominion

Default Re: Does anyone mix different fragrances to make the signature scent?

I know many in the community layer TV with Tuscan Leather, other then that I don't mix personally, kill the purpose: for that I would just get essential oils and do my own concoction, doesn't make sence for me to ruin a perfumers take(IMHO, ) it's like getting a Picasso and adding my brush strokes on already filled canvas with artists rendering......just get your own canvas and stroke away, in other words get your own oils and stop committing plagiarism to a degree....please, no one take it personally it's just my opinion and not set on stone ...to each it's own...enjoy and God blesss!
    Last edited by magnus611; 16th December 2013 at 03:14 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Many people do successfully but I personally don't as I like to appreciate each scent individually.
    (1669)
    Last edited by hednic; 16th December 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I layer TF White Patchouli and Chapaca Absolute. Jo Malone's are designed for layering and I enjoy experimenting with those. I've also been adding Saffron Cologne Intense to many other frags in my collection. But most of the time I use frags individually.

Blog Entries

I am learning to and experimenting. I've combined essential oils to my taste and while I do appreciate a perfumer's creation 'as is', I can't resist the urge to tinker sometimes, much like spicing an iconic recipe to taste. I don't think it ruins the original because hey, it washes off.
    I'm getting some samples of the Commes de Garçons incense fragrances to purposely try adding a floral or other potentially harmonious favorite note.
    I was just thinking about this today when I read the description of Hinoki. I can't think Rei would mind...
    Last edited by mimielle; 17th December 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

I never layer, however, I have this long standing idea to make one huge decant from all the samples I own - currently at 200+. Yet to find time for this endeavor.

I've tried experimental layering in the past... Usually ended up disasterous

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

That could be grand....or sit like this when worn...
    (Especially with the set of Slumberhouse, oh my...)
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Isn't there a niche perfumer who has a set of several that you are SUPPOSED to combine In different ways and amounts? Or did I just make that up via wishful thinking...
    *edit*
    Trilby Lark mentioned Jo Malone so I looked. Here is a guide:
    http://www.jomalone.com/products/380...ance-Combining
    It could serve as a lesson for other types, I'm guessing even though it is tailored to these existing fragrances.
    Diptyque fragrances also pair with their candles that are not just the carbon copies of each other but rather they are compliments. I haven't tried them yet but I want to.
    Last edited by mimielle; 17th December 2013 at 12:18 AM.
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Creeds layer well. I would not say that they were "designed" for layering, but I think that (1) Creed SAs discovered that mixing Creeds sometimes smelled really good, and pushed ambivalent customers over the fence, (2) they found it's a good way to sell two bottles, (3) it's a good way to satisfy clients who have become bored with the standard offerings, and (4) some combinations can be made more masculine or feminine, allowing reluctant buyers to overcome psychological barriers to a cross-gender purchase.

I find that layering works best either (1) within certain houses, and/or (2) with two "lopsided" perfumes which complement each other. For me, Chanel feminines and masculines complement each other very nicely, and give interesting combinations.

To me, layering is like collage. They can be interesting, but they tend to be a lesser art than a truly great original. However, some of my favorite images / wallpapers / screensavers are superpositions of two images, and so layering makes sense in that context.

Reasonably Good Layering, Same House, Compatible Classic Fragrances:

Bad Layering, Different Houses, Classic / Sport / Outdoorsy Frags:

Really Bad Incidental Layering, Counterfeit Oud mixing with Yesterday's Knock-Off of Caswell-Massey Tricorn :

Interesting Layering - Pick 5 Random Frags and Hope for the Best, Rave to Your Buddies, Forget The Formula:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mimielle View Post
    That could be grand....or sit like this when worn...
    (Especially with the set of Slumberhouse, oh my...)
    LOL! Nice! I can think of plenty of fragrances that work for these characters, and in no case would the combination not raise my eyebrows!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Creeds layer well. I would not say that they were "designed" for layering, but I think that (1) Creed SAs discovered that mixing Creeds sometimes smelled really good
    Which Creed feminine floral (if any) would you maybe recommend over Royal Oud?
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mimielle View Post
    Which Creed feminine floral (if any) would you maybe recommend over Royal Oud?
    OK - first of all, Royal Oud is an easy one to layer - almost nothing is like it, and it's very lopsided toward oriental ingredients, so it's easy to find compatible fragrances.

If you want to go floral, I'd recommend either Acqua Fiorentina or Jardin d'Amalfi, if you prefer their modern stuff, which I think mixes pretty nicely.

However, a really good combination in Creedville is Tubereuse Indiana with almost anything modern, and that includes Royal Oud. Just a little bit of Tubereuse Indiana adds a significant amount of old-school class and formality to the more modern things like SMW, MI, and VIW. And it really changes Royal Oud nicely for gals who want more florals, or for guys who want something dressier and more formal.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Raw Vanilla is said to be good for layering

My first bottle I ever bought was a Rocawear Evolution 100ml because it was being cleared out at $10. I can't stand it since it's too boozy and heavy for my taste, so I tried layering it with some D@G The One Sport (nice fresh scent that lasts all but 10 minutes on my skin, lol) to see if it would make a decent bed time scent. It worked to my surprise!

I love Creeds but.. Mixing creeds together would make me bankrupt
    And Death Shall Have No Dominion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whgpf95 View Post
    I love Creeds but.. Mixing creeds together would make me bankrupt
    Not if you get decants or samples until you sort it out, then buy singly on sale or do a split.
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Blog Entries

If you want to go floral, I'd recommend either Acqua Fiorentina or Jardin d'Amalfi, if you prefer their modern stuff, which I think mixes pretty nicely.
    However, a really good combination in Creedville is Tubereuse Indiana with almost anything modern, and that includes Royal Oud.
    I have some long tube samples of a few other Creeds including MI. Looks like I need the Tubereuse Indiana sample to join the party and bring the two flowery friends. Seems like TI will layer over other things too., from reading the notes Single note flower dosing with violet (flower) or gardenia, is my usual way to start layering, so this fills the bill and then some, thanks much! A 'What do we Layer' thread might be fun if there isn't one already. I don't want to hijack this one too hard. {^.~}
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Default Does anyone mix different fragrances to make the signature scent?

OK - first of all, Royal Oud is an easy one to layer - almost nothing is like it, and it's very lopsided toward oriental ingredients, so it's easy to find compatible fragrances...
    Thanks to this recommendation, I'm going to try Creed Royal Oud under GPH1 or Kalemat on Thursday.

Update:
    Okay, I couldn't wait until Thursday. I immediately got up and gave a full forearm spray of Royal Oud and then sprayed Kalemat on-top.
    Very (very) spicy-sweet. Luxurious. Thumbs up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mercutio; 18th December 2013 at 05:36 AM.
    KCCO!

Basenotes Plus

I've been layering Obsession and Mitsouko and I love it. One day I just wanted to warm my Mitsouko up now I'm addicted to the two scents mixed now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I usually use a light intensity aftershave and then layer on an EdT over that once it has faded off a bit. But I haven't tried much layering of two EdT's. I did give one set a try and it worked pretty well. Start with Diptyque Tam Dao and then a few sprays of MPG Santal Noble. Worked out pretty well.