Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Zahd

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    BTW: I don't see a picture of the bottle on this thread - are we still, respectfully, not posting pictures of the Zahd bottle?
    There should be a link up on the other thread to a slew of bottle pictures, but as international orders have started to arrive (Ireland got their yesterday), I can't imagine it'd be a problem at this point.

Anyone know the meaning behind the jellyfish? Looks cool, just wondering if there was some sort of connection to the brand...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

I found this at http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd/

"Lush puddle bubbles of the jellyfish rubble" - in the notes on the construction of Zahd. Not sure how this translates to be representative of the fragrance, but perhaps someone else has more insight on this...?

Thanks for the detailed responses Redneck Perfumisto and Deadidol, sorry I kinda hijacked the thread with my forest perfumes, haha. I enjoy both hyper-realistic depictions of nature and abstract ones in perfumery, so I'd still like to try JR. I'm currently enjoying CB IHP's Wild Hunt, which is a very realistic depiction of a forest floor, but it is also balanced well. Perhaps I'll just try Siskiyou to sort of get a feel for JR's aesthetic. But, as a person who loves hiking and camping, my wardrobe always has room for a scent that makes me smell like I ran into a bunch of trees at full tilt.

Didn't catch that before. Looks sweet, love the new bottle design.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I found this at http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd/

"Lush puddle bubbles of the jellyfish rubble"
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Blog Entries

For those of us who can't ever try this, how about some more descriptions, please? Chocolate & cranberry....?

Finally! I just got home and my parents had the package waiting for me on my bed, along with Vikt. I've yet to wear it yet (though I've worn it before in sample form), so I'll withhold comment, but I already know I love it from those samples.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Finally!
    same here - wearing 1 spritz now & it's just pure bliss...I sincerely feel sad for those who can't smell this...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Sure, rub it in...

Does anyone know where one could get at least a sample?
    I'm working on that. I'll get in touch when it's definite.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Chocolate & cranberry....?
    It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. The scent smells very bright and quite tart / waxy up front and then becomes more of a rich oriental attar. It's very dense, and the concentration's almost 40%, so it coats your skin. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj

Bottle pictures (from the other thread) can be found here: http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj
    Fun pix

Blog Entries

It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. The scent smells very bright and quite tart / waxy up front and then becomes more of a rich oriental attar. It's very dense, and the concentration's almost 40%, so it coats your skin. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj

Bottle pictures (from the other thread) can be found here: http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/
    Ok, good. Thanks!

It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. The scent smells very bright and quite tart / waxy up front and then becomes more of a rich oriental attar. It's very dense, and the concentration's almost 40%, so it coats your skin. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjjBottle pictures (from the other thread) can be found here: http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/
    So I have a question for you deadidol. At the top I do certainly get the cranberry, but there is a strong note of something dry that I simply can't identify. I had decided that the note was a dusty cocao, but am I wrong? If the cocao is at a low level is it sandalwood? Or is it champaca wax? Whatever it is the opposite notes work surprisingly well together. That accord does not smell much like sandalwood I have smelled in other perfumes (or like the real sandalwood I remember from back in the day), but sandalwood does come forth later in the progression. I am a little surprised that more reviews and impressions have not been posted as Zahd has certainly made it to the hands of many who ordered it. And I am very much looking forward to reading others opinions.Also wondering how many bottles actually made it to basenoters... I will start a count.1
    Last edited by Akahina; 2nd March 2014 at 03:23 PM.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I wore mine yesterday, after receiving it on Tue. I wanted to wait until I could give it a full day and pay a little bit of attention to it. Unfortunately, I also had a stuffy head yesterday, so I am sure I missed all the nuances.

The tart cranberry dominated the first hour or so to my nose, and it was rather loud here too. And, yes, there is a bit of a cough medicine vibe here too, that others have mentioned (although I could have been influence by that suggestion). After a couple of hours, it settled down and did not radiate as much. Here is where it got really, really good. I did get the subtle cocoa, and yes, it is much more subtle than in Ore. The drydown is to die for. I am smelling it on my Tshirt this morning (pulled it back on just for the lovely smell until I shower). What I did not get was a dominant incense note! It is very well integrated into the scent, a part rather than the main player. It is rich and creamy, more sandalwood than incense, at least to my stuffy nose.

Further wearing required, but this is good stuff! A most successful blind buy. I enjoy Slumberhouse, but don't love them all, so it was a little nervy to blind order (although I knew I could sell it if I hated it, so not really that risky).

Due to the composition, the sandalwood does not become the main player; but it is there w/o a doubt. The incensy aspect I see feels like the ashes on sandalwood incense sticks burned (smelt a day or 2 after) - the smoke is dissipated, but you can still feel the sandalwood ash like smell (not from the incense sticks of today - this is from history - what we used in India about 15-20 yrs back - when sandalwood wasn't as rare / expensive as today)...

My interests & tastes are too varied to ever choose 1 scent as my favorite - but Zahd is really pushing the limit on that; ahead of all other older Slumberhouse favorites like Baque / Vikt / Norne / Jeke / Sova / Ore - surprisingly, Zahd is so easy to wear & much more versatile compared to those 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    So I have a question for you deadidol. At the top I do certainly get the cranberry, but there is a strong note of something dry that I simply can't identify. I had decided that the note was a dusty cocao, but am I wrong? If the cocao is at a low level is it sandalwood? Or is it champaca wax? Whatever it is the opposite notes work surprisingly well together. That accord does not smell much like sandalwood I have smelled in other perfumes (or like the real sandalwood I remember from back in the day), but sandalwood does come forth later in the progression. I am a little surprised that more reviews and impressions have not been posted as Zahd has certainly made it to the hands of many who ordered it. And I am very much looking forward to reading others opinions.Also wondering how many bottles actually made it to basenoters... I will start a count.1
    It sounds like what you're talking about is that chamapaca wax—which literally has an almost waxy, fatty aspect to it. It's very unusual when paired with the tart cranberry, and that's what makes the heart of the scent so striking. Mysore sandalwood doesn't have a strong smell at all—in fact many people (myself included) are fairly anosmic to it. What it does is in a blend is it provides depth and and binds the other materials together for a more seamless composition. Usually when people get an image of what sandalwood should smell like in their mind, it's a synthetic version—ebanol, javanol, sandalrome—all woody notes with a slight bitter, lactonic quality that have been around for years. Mysore (and I've tried the Mysore used in this without any of the other ingredients), is a slightly milky, woody thing with a bit of a raspy aspect, but it's extremely quiet and low key. So perhaps it's best to think about the Mysore in Zahd less as a note, and more of an effect that's a key player in the overall composition. What I would suggest though is to spray a small amount onto a tissue and let it sit for a few days. You'll be able to track the shifts through the attar to the amber base with more clarity, and understand what the scent is doing a little more. This stuff will last on paper for more than a week, so just set it aside and let it do its thing.

As far as people not talking about it goes, I'm not sure this is an instant like/dislike scent, and the people I've spoken to about it are still trying to figure out where they stand. With something this unusual and striking, there'll be some cognitive dissonance involved—especially after the wait. I think Slumberhouse fragrances take months to evaluate and appreciate, so I'd ask people two or three months from so, and see what they think then!
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 05:08 PM.

Absolutely correct regarding the "sense" of sandalwood, it is part of the creamy aspect, amongst other notes I am sure. And I also totally agree that this one will take many wears to figure out. That was day one, so much left to learn about this fragrance. The reference on the burned incense stick will most likely be lost to me though, as I have not really ever burned it, and certainly not the better stuff. My "feeling" of incense is more of a sharp, almost acrid smell, and this fragrance just didn't seem to go there. At least what I could detect so far.

I did spray the corner of a scarf with Zahd last week and the smell is still there and the drydown is wonderful. (And it was a black scarf so the stain is not an issue with this dense red juice!) Yes, still trying to figure Zahd out but I have retired the bottle for a little while. I figured four days in a row were enough. But my next day off I am going to wear it again, maybe two sprays this time.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I'm wearing my bottle for the first time today and I am very much enjoying it. I am pretty sure that dry scent you are getting is the wax from champaca. I'm fairly familiar with the note, and it seems like that is definitely it. I don't get much cocoa in here, though, especially compared to either version of Ore.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I'm wearing my bottle for the first time today and I am very much enjoying it. I am pretty sure that dry scent you are getting is the wax from champaca. I'm fairly familiar with the note, and it seems like that is definitely it. I don't get much cocoa in here, though, especially compared to either version of Ore.
    OK, I will admit to not having a clue what champaca wax smells like, so I will bow to the experienced nose that knows! The combination of notes at the top is delicious and unique, that I do know for sure!
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

OK, I will admit to not having a clue what champaca wax smells like
    Well, as far as I know, champaca wax (or cranberry concrete, for that matter), haven't been used before in perfumery, so that's not a surprising reaction. But you've smelled champaca before, right? It's a relative of both anise and magnolia, largely popularized through the similar smelling Nag Champa incense. Here, in its waxy form, you get a real thick, slightly bitter version of what is ordinarily a sweet floral that can go ordinarily a bit sickly quite fast. In this sense, the wax effect adds texture as if this were just tart cranberry and sweet florals, it'd be a bit of a killer—so it's that nuance that helps it along.

But this difficulty in figuring out what's going on with these scents isn't limited to Zahd as they all use absolutely bizarre / rare / unheard of materials. Dittany of Crete, algae, lapsang souchong, oakwood abs, whiskey lactone, clementine, bigarade, raspberry leaf etc are all ingredients that you don't see too often, but are in a number of scents from the line.
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 07:15 PM.

I do get the nag champa feeling a little later in the mid with Zahd and am very familiar with that smell, as I think I said in my initial review. Not knowing certain notes makes for nice surprises, but at the same time the unknown smells makes me want to know more.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

OK, I will admit to not having a clue what champaca wax smells like, so I will bow to the experienced nose that knows! The combination of notes at the top is delicious and unique, that I do know for sure!
    Yeah, I mostly know it because of the incense and a few candles that I've had with champaca in it (which is more floral than this is).

Although I've taken issue with reviews from this writer in the past, here's a very insightful and dedicated take on Zahd: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...mited-edition/

Although I've taken issue with reviews from this writer in the past, here's a very insightful and dedicated take on Zahd: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...mited-edition/
    That really was an insightful review... thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I was lucky enough to get a sample of Zahd with an order. Just found and sniffed the paper I tested it on. Amazing! Even many days later the scent is still luxuriously there. Can't smell hardly anything on the other perfume papers from the same time. The wait for Zahd is definitely going to be worth it.
    I am finally sniffing Zahd today, thanks to some generous friends. Yes - this fragrance is powerful, powerful stuff. Even by the old standards, it has a titanic base. Hours later on paper, I feel like it's just getting into the heart.

Once, when my wife was away on vacation, I luxuriated in Kouros (which she hates) for days on end, just to see what the experience would be like. Just letting the base pile up like cord-wood, until the base was the fragrance itself. Zahd is stronger, one drop right out of the bottle. And yet I find its base very coherent - very singular - like the scent of roses made of some kind of incense.

Zahd is a gorgeous fragrance - literally something out of the past. It has a huge sense of nostalgia. I can sense my feelings toward it evolving, and I don't want that to stop, because it is so rich and multi-faceted, that it's not fair to pin it down.

I know that people literally want to hold on to their Zahd forever - to be covetous and sparing with it, but I almost feel that this is contradictory to the fragrance itself. Zahd begs to be worn in some kind of care-free last dance. It's like an old photograph that is falling apart in the rain, and all you can do is remember it. But that is the beauty of it. I don't even want to say why I feel this way, because that's not what matters. Zahd says something about the moment - about time itself.

There is an old bouquet of red roses laying on the stone fireplace in front of me. That is Zahd. I was in the basement a few days ago and found my father's school papers from the 1940's. There was a dried corsage stuck between decomposing pages of old construction paper. That is Zahd. And when I smelled the fragrance, I could see a parlor like the one in my brother's old, historical house, with its tin ceiling, antique furniture, and rich wooden trim. I could see a woman there. Is she wearing red velvet like the idea that inspired Josh? Or is it the upholstery of the old furniture? I don't know, I can't remember, and the memory is fading. And that, to me, is the beauty of Zahd.

It's like an old American version of mono no aware - the beautiful sadness of things. You can't - in the end - ever back up to beat it. Because that IS the beauty of it.

There is an urge for me to talk about the technicalities of why the fragrance makes me feel this way, but I just want to say to myself - no - talk about that later. For now, just revel in the feeling that Zahd gives me. And I really think that's more important. How does Zahd make you feel?

Blog Entries

I waited to read this until I just finished my first sniff - let's go see......

Wow, Red. Well that went over well!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I waited to read this until I just finished my first sniff - let's go see......
    Wow, Red. Well that went over well!
    LOL - Yes, that did!

Part of me suspects that I'm just saying "spray with abandon" because I'm trying to talk myself out of coveting it, but then when I read Kafkaesque's entreaties to re-release it, I feel that I've come to a great realization. socalwoman summed it up in her joke, but the truth is, there should be no other Zahd, there can be no other Zahd, and there will be no other Zahd - and none of that even accounts for the fact that Josh sabotaged the formula on purpose. The backside of the beauty of ephemeral emergence is that emergence happens again. There will be a Slumberhouse fragrance that recalls, renews, and even exceeds Zahd, because that, too, is part of the beauty of Zahd. So in the end, Josh keeps his promise and Kafkaesque gets her wish. One more beautiful symmetry of Zahd.

Here is something great that Kafkaesque said:

"The contrasts make Zahd feel like some sort of avant-garde, modernist take on fruitiness that completely up-ends its usual characteristics in commercial perfumery."

I felt the same thing. To me, it's as if the modern red fruity floral was thrown back in time and done over. It's kind of like saying that there's some universe where the answer of this iteration - the red fruity floral - gets recycled to the early 20th century, and classical perfumery starts out with that. Who doesn't think THAT is cool?

I could go on, but I'll wait. Too much to say. I think some of this stuff just needs to sink in.

Wonderful posts, guys and a very interesting blog post - still waiting patiently over this side of the pond...

As a relatively new Slumberhouse convert, I was slow checking out my Mare sample - sure enough, it sold out.

Zahd has reinforced this lesson even before arriving.

These are not only special due to the skill, vision & ingredients involved - they are liquid works of art and surely the artist must be free to choose their future direction as being obliged to repeat an applauded piece over & over is not conducive to creativity?

So, I'm awaiting future developments with interest

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Wonderful posts, guys and a very interesting blog post - still waiting patiently over this side of the pond...

As a relatively new Slumberhouse convert, I was slow checking out my Mare sample - sure enough, it sold out.

Zahd has reinforced this lesson even before arriving.

These are not only special due to the skill, vision & ingredients involved - they are liquid works of art and surely the artist must be free to choose their future direction as being obliged to repeat an applauded piece over & over is not conducive to creativity?

So, I'm awaiting future developments with interest
    Absolutely agreed with your statement about artistic direction and creativity. The show must go on, because that is the nature of shows!

Hoping yours gets there soon. I'm sure the impressions are going to be rolling in here for some time. There will be a second and third wave of reviews as samples and decants start flying around, too.

I know that people literally want to hold on to their Zahd forever - to be covetous and sparing with it, but I almost feel that this is contradictory to the fragrance itself. Zahd begs to be worn in some kind of care-free last dance. It's like an old photograph that is falling apart in the rain, and all you can do is remember it. But that is the beauty of it. I don't even want to say why I feel this way, because that's not what matters. Zahd says something about the moment - about time itself.
    Fantastic!

I've enjoyed reading this particular page of commentary about Zahd. Thanks especially to Redneck Perfumisto. The imagery in his review really grabbed me. I even went to the page from akafkaesquelife to read that review. Now I am sorry that I wasn't paying attention last autumn and missed my chance to buy a bottle. Wah! Even though I'm not a Slumberhouse fan, I am excited to see that Josh Lobb continues to expand his business and perfume making skills. The reason why is because we need something to really stand out in the world of insipid perfumes and their numerous flankers. And, I tried my hand at making perfume and discovered that it is far more complex, more expensive, and requires more skill than I ever knew. Anybody who attempts to make a go of it in the niche perfumery business deserves much credit. Anybody who actually makes a success of that business deserves to be considered a true artist. I doubt I'm saying anything that Slumberhouse fans don't already know. I'll keep reading.

Some of the best postings I've read on BN are on this thread, not just because I like Slumberhouse, but because of the way people have reacted to Zahd...Keep them coming people.

My update on Zahd: The Indian temple vibe I wrote too much too early on is actually very minimal to missing now (not ruling it out, but it's been so with 2 testings done with just a half spray on 2 diff nights - somehow I feel, in the summer heat, this might become more visible). Note that when I wrote abt it, all I had was the first sample I recvd on Zahd. That gave me a very different experience - the indian temple vibe was something I can't mistake, neither could members from my family. On that sample, I could detect no cocoa at all; here with the new bottle, I get the cocoa + strong cranberry start, which I didn't get on the sample. & w/o a doubt, this is a very heavy concentrated version than the sample which I had, which by the way had great projection (& longevity) & was much lighter than the current. Sandalwood used heavily now, is seen now easily, much more than before on the sample; but as sandalwood always does, is not the prominent player. One of the best evolving parfums I've smelt ever & I'm still discovering this. Will take months to get around this (if I do get around it). As well, the incensy feel was stronger right from the start on the sample; here with the masterful blending, it takes time before my nose gets it - more towards a 5-6hr mark, from which point, the blend of incense, sandalwood & champaka are just fabulous - you don't want to remove your nose off from sniffing the area sprayed on!

A great creation overall (pity that "great" is such a simple adjective I'm using to describe this piece of art) & even for a fan like me of heavier creations from Slumberhouse like Sova / Norne / Rume etc, Zahd easily triumphs all those...At least for now - till Josh creates another...

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Some of the best postings I've read on BN are on this thread, not just because I like Slumberhouse, but because of the way people have reacted to Zahd...Keep them coming people.

My update on Zahd: The Indian temple vibe I wrote too much too early on is actually very minimal to missing now (not ruling it out, but it's been so with 2 testings done with just a half spray on 2 diff nights - somehow I feel, in the summer heat, this might become more visible). Note that when I wrote abt it, all I had was the first sample I recvd on Zahd. That gave me a very different experience - the indian temple vibe was something I can't mistake, neither could members from my family. On that sample, I could detect no cocoa at all; here with the new bottle, I get the cocoa + strong cranberry start, which I didn't get on the sample. & w/o a doubt, this is a very heavy concentrated version than the sample which I had, which by the way had great projection (& longevity) & was much lighter than the current. Sandalwood used heavily now, is seen now easily, much more than before on the sample; but as sandalwood always does, is not the prominent player. One of the best evolving parfums I've smelt ever & I'm still discovering this. Will take months to get around this (if I do get around it). As well, the incensy feel was stronger right from the start on the sample; here with the masterful blending, it takes time before my nose gets it - more towards a 5-6hr mark, from which point, the blend of incense, sandalwood & champaka are just fabulous - you don't want to remove your nose off from sniffing the area sprayed on!

A great creation overall (pity that "great" is such a simple adjective I'm using to describe this piece of art) & even for a fan like me of heavier creations from Slumberhouse like Sova / Norne / Rume etc, Zahd easily triumphs all those...At least for now - till Josh creates another...

Yeah, what he said
    Badarun, that sounds like what I was smelling...but you expressed it much more elequently. And I totally agree about the aprox. 5-6 hour mark, that was when the magic started.

It is indeed interesting to read the poetic and colorful descriptions of Zahd in this thread. I admit that I am somewhat jealous of those that can write so colorfully about a scent...and I can not. Even as an artist I find it difficult to create such metaphores. (And I am glad though that others get cacao at the top.)

Zahd is a pinnicle scent, and hopefully a turning point. Seemingly this is the most mature scent from Slumberhouse and hopefully represents not just a new direction, but a reincarnated aesthetic in perfume that has been lost over decades and centuries. Building fresh and new scents without preconceived ideas of what a perfume should be using unusual and usual ingredients with both creativity and naivate. This could be a very interesting ride...
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I admit that I am somewhat jealous of those that can write so colorfully about a scent...and I can not. Even as an artist I find it difficult to create such metaphors.
    Couldn't agree more Akahina - I've always admired & been envious at the same time of the way people can discern the notes (should I add "with ease") & describe it so damn well...

One major factor that brought me back to basenotes was the same poetic / artistic views written on fragrance reviews - I hate blind buys & I have actually blind bought 2 parfums - based purely on one reviewers excellent words - luckily, both the "buy" turned out to be good ones! I'm nowadays taking the time to send a PM thank you to those reviewers - one at a time.

Such lovely reviews. I dare say that the lack of great availability of this fragrance coupled with the rave reviews will serve to propel whatever Josh creates next into mythical status just for its ability to be acquired! Well played Mr.Lobb!

You all have created such beautiful imagery around this scent. Thank you for sharing artful words.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    will serve to propel whatever Josh creates next into mythical status just for its ability to be acquired!
    Doubt it...Every basenoter I know is hard to please, same with myself. So the next release of whatever might be, will be received well - ONLY if it's worthy enough, even for die hard fans. People who would like to capitalize on probable limited edition will jump on it w/o a doubt though..

Doubt it...Every basenoter I know is hard to please, same with myself. So the next release of whatever might be, will be received well - ONLY if it's worthy enough, even for die hard fans. People who would like to capitalize on probable limited edition will jump on it w/o a doubt though..
    I'm not going to blindly jump on another one of his limited sales even though I am a fan. It's really risky. Fortunately, Zahd was enjoyable. Vikt, for me, I despise. If I blindly bought Vikt (got it for free) in that fashion I would be upset. Though, I could easily resell it, so.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Originally Posted by badarun
    Doubt it...Every basenoter I know is hard to please, same with myself. So the next release of whatever might be, will be received well - ONLY if it's worthy enough, even for die hard fans. People who would like to capitalize on probable limited edition will jump on it w/o a doubt though..I'm not going to blindly jump on another one of his limited sales even though I am a fan. It's really risky. Fortunately, Zahd was enjoyable. Vikt, for me, I despise. If I blindly bought Vikt (got it for free) in that fashion I would be upset. Though, I could easily resell it, so.
    Meant to say - whoever capitalizes on buying & selling at a higher price - always happens with this house (from my own experience in having been approached twice by the same person, using 2 different user names on basenotes - as FYI, user was banned again very recently)

Personally I don't expect another limited release as Zahd was. It was his only pre-sale release ever of something he had created in a very small batch. It's release was, as I understand it, to raise money to help his independant company remain independant.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Well perhaps I am too new to watching the brand. That was my impression since observing the reaction to Zahd. It is too bad when people capitalize on someone else's success. I'd rather see Josh getting the benefit of his dedication to the art.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I'm not going to blindly jump on another one of his limited sales even though I am a fan. It's really risky. Fortunately, Zahd was enjoyable. Vikt, for me, I despise. If I blindly bought Vikt (got it for free) in that fashion I would be upset. Though, I could easily resell it, so.

Interesting - Vikt is a very interesting and enjoyable one to me although, again, I was late buying it but personally feel that it's better than the current regular line.
    I missed out buying the recent Mare as well, due to my awful slowness in sampling, and have subsequently arrived at the conclusion that this is one of very few lines where I'm happy buying blind.

... have subsequently arrived at the conclusion that this is one of very few lines where I'm happy buying blind.
    Same here. For me, it boils down not so much to my familiarity with Josh's aesthetic, but the direction that he's taking Slumberhouse in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I've enjoyed reading this particular page of commentary about Zahd. Thanks especially to Redneck Perfumisto. The imagery in his review really grabbed me. I even went to the page from akafkaesquelife to read that review. Now I am sorry that I wasn't paying attention last autumn and missed my chance to buy a bottle. Wah! Even though I'm not a Slumberhouse fan, I am excited to see that Josh Lobb continues to expand his business and perfume making skills. The reason why is because we need something to really stand out in the world of insipid perfumes and their numerous flankers. And, I tried my hand at making perfume and discovered that it is far more complex, more expensive, and requires more skill than I ever knew. Anybody who attempts to make a go of it in the niche perfumery business deserves much credit. Anybody who actually makes a success of that business deserves to be considered a true artist. I doubt I'm saying anything that Slumberhouse fans don't already know. I'll keep reading.
    Perfumery is a fascinating art. I only wish that the more "mainstream" artists were more often allowed the freedom that independent artists have. Watch the brand "A Lab on Fire". ALoF is an outlet for artistic creations by mainstream industry perfumers. Some very, very cool stuff.

One mainstream perfumer I want to just mention and praise here is Loc Dong. He made an art scent that I smelled, which was just WOW - very over-the-top - you want to talk about unwearable? Holy cow. But tragically, tragically good as abstract art. But in his day job? All the stuff that billions of women wear to work or to the store.

There have been some really good interviews with Josh, but one of them reveals his respect for the mainstream perfumers - which I would dare say is likely greater than ours, because he truly understands the problems of the art. Here it is:

http://notablescents.net/2012/04/27/...-slumberhouse/

I can totally see the Indian temple thing - there are strong reminiscences of various Indian floral incenses I've used. People are asking for an incense fragrance from Slumberhouse - well - anything which learns from Zahd should have something like that. Maybe not your mama's incense, that's for sure!

It is indeed interesting to read the poetic and colorful descriptions of Zahd in this thread. I admit that I am somewhat jealous of those that can write so colorfully about a scent...and I can not. Even as an artist I find it difficult to create such metaphores. (And I am glad though that others get cacao at the top.)

Zahd is a pinnicle scent, and hopefully a turning point. Seemingly this is the most mature scent from Slumberhouse and hopefully represents not just a new direction, but a reincarnated aesthetic in perfume that has been lost over decades and centuries. Building fresh and new scents without preconceived ideas of what a perfume should be using unusual and usual ingredients with both creativity and naivate. This could be a very interesting ride...
    Great comments. I, too, am very happy that Slumberhouse has gotten to where it is.

We're a cunning lot. I know that I can smell unwearable or "not my thing" 3 months into the future. There's no fooling this crowd. Even deceptive note lists are penetrable to a large enough group of BNers. We can read through the thickest marketing hype the industry can throw at us. Josh's honesty is like a glass door that has already been swung open.

Meant to say - whoever capitalizes on buying & selling at a higher price - always happens with this house (from my own experience in having been approached twice by the same person, using 2 different user names on basenotes - as FYI, user was banned again very recently)
    Tell any deputy if he returns. We run a clean establishment in this here saloon de parfum.

Personally I don't expect another limited release as Zahd was. It was his only pre-sale release ever of something he had created in a very small batch. It's release was, as I understand it, to raise money to help his independant company remain independant.
    That's my understanding. But the best part of Zahd is whatever comes next. Zahd is fascinating as an evening meditation on its own transience, which somehow promises a joy in things to come.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    Well perhaps I am too new to watching the brand. That was my impression since observing the reaction to Zahd. It is too bad when people capitalize on someone else's success. I'd rather see Josh getting the benefit of his dedication to the art.
    Don't worry - money is a puny benefit. Josh is getting the real ones.

But I just want to throw this out because I can't resist. I have finally realized an important aspect of all of this. Capitalization is an act of autonomously determined sustainability. It's great that artists can offload that calculation to somebody else, and stay pure. That pattern is actually in the industry. They recognize it. They know there is a war between creativity and a universe that demands everything else, and for all our complaints about how they balance that opposition, I have to give them credit - they actually try. The best thing we can do is add support right were it is needed - the artists. Help them push back, and expand their sphere of influence.

Interesting - Vikt is a very interesting and enjoyable one to me although, again, I was late buying it but personally feel that it's better than the current regular line.
    I missed out buying the recent Mare as well, due to my awful slowness in sampling, and have subsequently arrived at the conclusion that this is one of very few lines where I'm happy buying blind.
    I should really take that strategy! There is no SH release that does not have its fans! No bottle ever goes to waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I can totally see the Indian temple thing - there are strong reminiscences of various Indian floral incenses I've used. People are asking for an incense fragrance from Slumberhouse - well - anything which learns from Zahd should have something like that. Maybe not your mama's incense, that's for sure!
    You know, I never got the Indian temple thing from it that much at all, but I trust Arun's experience and heritage with such scents, and I also do know that, at least early on in the development, that was the part of the motivation for creating Zahd. It did go more plush and textured, but several people have picked up on the temple aspect. In its early stage (Arun tried one of early prototypes), it was basically only half the scent—the heart accord mainly. My thoughts on it from back then (it must have been a year ago) were that it felt like fireworks going off—incredibly bright, but not cloying, and totally original without being difficult. It changed quite a bit, but at that point, it wasn't a complete composition. The champaca was quite a bit more pronounced back then, and that's what lent it Indian associations for me.

As far as the incense goes—we all know what to expect from an incense fragrance, right? We all have a general idea of the theme (largely based on some of the touchstones like Avignon or Norma Kamali), but what happens when that theme is fed through a totally different interpretive lens? Is it still incense? Zahd does this to a degree—it is an incense scent, but not only is it not like any other incense scent available, it's not like any other scent available.

But another case of this (that I'd invite you all to watch closely) is Bogue Profumo's upcoming In-Sense series. It's barely even recognizable as what we might think of as incense (at least incense like Avignon). But that's because it's entirely possible for a perfumer to interpret what incense means in their own way. Also, there are quite a few brands of incense that don't actually smell like a traditional or liturgical incense. As much as I'd love to see Josh (or Antonio Gardoni) knock Kamali out of the park, it's been done—too many times now. So thinking outside the confines of what incense is and should be is the path ahead—but that's also what we got with Zahd, a totally surprising twist on the genre.
    Last edited by deadidol; 4th March 2014 at 09:55 PM.

Blog Entries

You know, I never got the Indian temple thing from it that much at all, but I trust Arun's experience and heritage with such scents, and I also do know that, at least early on in the development, that was the part of the motivation for creating Zahd. It did go more plush and textured, but several people have picked up on the temple aspect. In its early stage (Arun tried one of early prototypes), it was basically only half the scent—the heart accord mainly. My thoughts on it from back then (it must have been a year ago) were that it felt like fireworks going off—incredibly bright, but not cloying, and totally original without being difficult. It changed quite a bit, but at that point, it wasn't a complete composition. The champaca was quite a bit more pronounced back then, and that's what lent it Indian associations for me.

As far as the incense goes—we all know what to expect from an incense fragrance, right? We all have a general idea of the theme (largely based on some of the touchstones like Avignon or Norma Kamali), but what happens when that theme is fed through a totally different interpretive lens? Is it still incense? Zahd does this to a degree—it is an incense scent, but not only is it not like any other incense scent available, it's not like any other scent available.

But another case of this (that I'd invite you all to watch closely) is Bogue Profumo's upcoming In-Sense series. It's barely even recognizable as what we might think of as incense (at least incense like Avignon). But that's because it's entirely possible for a perfumer to interpret what incense means in their own way. Also, there are quite a few brands of incense that don't actually smell like a traditional or liturgical incense. As much as I'd love to see Josh (or Antonio Gardoni) knock Kamali out of the park, it's been done—too many times now. So thinking outside the confines of what incense is and should be is the path ahead—but that's also what we got with Zahd, a totally surprising twist on the genre.
    Exactly. We use words to describe what we smell, by relating what we smell to what we know, and whatever the words are, where that experience is indexed.

What do I call the smoky aspect of Zahd? Do I call it the Indian rose incense that I use in my Japanese kōro? It reminds me of that, instantly. Is it the recollection of the smoky aesthetic which has been sadly lost from the world, with the disappearance of fragrances like the living fossils of Troisième Homme de Caron and Guerlain Derby? Because THAT is another thing it reminds me of, and which makes this such a great "masculine" fragrance to me. Or is it the smoky, candle-lit parlor of the past, which I can almost see in my mind, where Mitsouko was made with cranberries, and I'm smoking a cigar, and people are burning incense as they discuss whatever Eastern religion has captured their fancy?

"Incense" was always a bad word for us to use, in my opinion. It's a unifier that has become strong - too attractive, and it damages the finer aspects of what can and should be called incense. I think Zahd is perfectly on the money in rejecting categories here. Rather than being a large-scale WTF, it's a small-scale WTF. A thousand stories emerge from something that has clear elements that could be drawn together into clichés, but are instead left to us to figure out in our own ways.

Zahd is a bit like an MDM thread. Where's it gonna go? PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!

Deadidol, can you tell us anymore about the Bogue series? It sounds promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Deadidol, can you tell us anymore about the Bogue series? It sounds promising
    There's an old thread somewhere in Huddlersville where Freddie (Smelly Thoughts), Alfarom, myself, and a few others all wrote reviews on his two releases and the "tailored" collection. Sadly, Huddler seems to have eaten them all (and I didn't save any of my reviews). But I'll see if there's anything I can do to import the bulk from there into a new thread. It's a strikingly line—quite different to Slumberhouse—but the talent is arguable there.

Most of the posts are missing. I've emailed Grant to see if they can be salvaged, if not, I'll start up a new one.

Most of the posts are missing. I've emailed Grant to see if they can be salvaged, if not, I'll start up a new one.
    I do remember that thread. Is the tailored collection you speak of the in-sense series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I do remember that thread. Is the tailored collection you speak of the in-sense series?
    No, it's different. But there were a couple of tailor scents that smelled very similar. It's a line that leans very aromatic--almost old school. Candied violets, culinary herbs, incense, smoke.

incredibly bright, but not cloying, and totally original without being difficult.
    Yessir - spon on - totally forgot that aspect - it was bright for sure (this was from the sample I described)!

Blog Entries

This was my wife's reaction to smelling Zahd for the first time!

She is something of an incense-phobe, so clearly that aspect (Japanese temple) is not too strong, because if it's there at all, she notices. And fruity scents do not normally get a positive reaction - she'll just call them "ordinary". But she's a huge rose lover, and that strengthens my feeling that the floral aspects of Zahd have some kind of oddly rose-like pattern. It's clearly way too big for rose, but it just has that "shape". Nombre Noir - same thing, a very abstract rose, layered on top of a lot of other more "solid" stuff, although that is an actual rose fragrance, with a huge rose note. Some interesting similarities, I have to say.

My Zahd turned up today - that gromwell is crazy stuff

Having just applied some, my day has definitely improved somewhat - the red velvet pouch is a nice touch too and the bottle is so cool, a definite improvement.

All that can be said for now is.....WOW - love it & so happy to be able to sniff this stuff at last