Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Zahd

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    BTW: I don't see a picture of the bottle on this thread - are we still, respectfully, not posting pictures of the Zahd bottle?
    There should be a link up on the other thread to a slew of bottle pictures, but as international orders have started to arrive (Ireland got their yesterday), I can't imagine it'd be a problem at this point.

Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Anyone know the meaning behind the jellyfish? Looks cool, just wondering if there was some sort of connection to the brand...
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Basenotes Plus

I found this at http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd/

"Lush puddle bubbles of the jellyfish rubble" - in the notes on the construction of Zahd. Not sure how this translates to be representative of the fragrance, but perhaps someone else has more insight on this...?
    Currently wearing: Odoon by Pekji

Thanks for the detailed responses Redneck Perfumisto and Deadidol, sorry I kinda hijacked the thread with my forest perfumes, haha. I enjoy both hyper-realistic depictions of nature and abstract ones in perfumery, so I'd still like to try JR. I'm currently enjoying CB IHP's Wild Hunt, which is a very realistic depiction of a forest floor, but it is also balanced well. Perhaps I'll just try Siskiyou to sort of get a feel for JR's aesthetic. But, as a person who loves hiking and camping, my wardrobe always has room for a scent that makes me smell like I ran into a bunch of trees at full tilt.

Didn't catch that before. Looks sweet, love the new bottle design.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    I found this at http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd/

"Lush puddle bubbles of the jellyfish rubble"
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 135ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium)

Blog Entries

For those of us who can't ever try this, how about some more descriptions, please? Chocolate & cranberry....?

Finally! I just got home and my parents had the package waiting for me on my bed, along with Vikt. I've yet to wear it yet (though I've worn it before in sample form), so I'll withhold comment, but I already know I love it from those samples.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Finally!
    same here - wearing 1 spritz now & it's just pure bliss...I sincerely feel sad for those who can't smell this...
    Currently wearing: Ho Hang by Balenciaga

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    Sure, rub it in...

Does anyone know where one could get at least a sample?
    I'm working on that. I'll get in touch when it's definite.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Chocolate & cranberry....?
    It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. The scent smells very bright and quite tart / waxy up front and then becomes more of a rich oriental attar. It's very dense, and the concentration's almost 40%, so it coats your skin. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj

Bottle pictures (from the other thread) can be found here: http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj
    Fun pix

Blog Entries

It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. The scent smells very bright and quite tart / waxy up front and then becomes more of a rich oriental attar. It's very dense, and the concentration's almost 40%, so it coats your skin. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjj

Bottle pictures (from the other thread) can be found here: http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/
    Ok, good. Thanks!

It's cranberry concrete and champaca wax over mysore sandalwood and specially commissioned attar that contains marigold, blue lotus, ambrette etc. There's cocoa absolute in it, but it's quite a low level. The base also has a combination of labdanum, myrhh, tolu and peru balsams. The scent smells very bright and quite tart / waxy up front and then becomes more of a rich oriental attar. It's very dense, and the concentration's almost 40%, so it coats your skin. You can see the production here: http://imgur.com/a/GNHjjBottle pictures (from the other thread) can be found here: http://postimg.org/gallery/7rylehy8/ddd683c4/
    So I have a question for you deadidol. At the top I do certainly get the cranberry, but there is a strong note of something dry that I simply can't identify. I had decided that the note was a dusty cocao, but am I wrong? If the cocao is at a low level is it sandalwood? Or is it champaca wax? Whatever it is the opposite notes work surprisingly well together. That accord does not smell much like sandalwood I have smelled in other perfumes (or like the real sandalwood I remember from back in the day), but sandalwood does come forth later in the progression. I am a little surprised that more reviews and impressions have not been posted as Zahd has certainly made it to the hands of many who ordered it. And I am very much looking forward to reading others opinions.Also wondering how many bottles actually made it to basenoters... I will start a count.1
    Last edited by Akahina; 2nd March 2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I wore mine yesterday, after receiving it on Tue. I wanted to wait until I could give it a full day and pay a little bit of attention to it. Unfortunately, I also had a stuffy head yesterday, so I am sure I missed all the nuances.

The tart cranberry dominated the first hour or so to my nose, and it was rather loud here too. And, yes, there is a bit of a cough medicine vibe here too, that others have mentioned (although I could have been influence by that suggestion). After a couple of hours, it settled down and did not radiate as much. Here is where it got really, really good. I did get the subtle cocoa, and yes, it is much more subtle than in Ore. The drydown is to die for. I am smelling it on my Tshirt this morning (pulled it back on just for the lovely smell until I shower). What I did not get was a dominant incense note! It is very well integrated into the scent, a part rather than the main player. It is rich and creamy, more sandalwood than incense, at least to my stuffy nose.

Further wearing required, but this is good stuff! A most successful blind buy. I enjoy Slumberhouse, but don't love them all, so it was a little nervy to blind order (although I knew I could sell it if I hated it, so not really that risky).
    Currently wearing: No. 23 by Ava Luxe

Due to the composition, the sandalwood does not become the main player; but it is there w/o a doubt. The incensy aspect I see feels like the ashes on sandalwood incense sticks burned (smelt a day or 2 after) - the smoke is dissipated, but you can still feel the sandalwood ash like smell (not from the incense sticks of today - this is from history - what we used in India about 15-20 yrs back - when sandalwood wasn't as rare / expensive as today)...

My interests & tastes are too varied to ever choose 1 scent as my favorite - but Zahd is really pushing the limit on that; ahead of all other older Slumberhouse favorites like Baque / Vikt / Norne / Jeke / Sova / Ore - surprisingly, Zahd is so easy to wear & much more versatile compared to those 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    So I have a question for you deadidol. At the top I do certainly get the cranberry, but there is a strong note of something dry that I simply can't identify. I had decided that the note was a dusty cocao, but am I wrong? If the cocao is at a low level is it sandalwood? Or is it champaca wax? Whatever it is the opposite notes work surprisingly well together. That accord does not smell much like sandalwood I have smelled in other perfumes (or like the real sandalwood I remember from back in the day), but sandalwood does come forth later in the progression. I am a little surprised that more reviews and impressions have not been posted as Zahd has certainly made it to the hands of many who ordered it. And I am very much looking forward to reading others opinions.Also wondering how many bottles actually made it to basenoters... I will start a count.1
    It sounds like what you're talking about is that chamapaca wax—which literally has an almost waxy, fatty aspect to it. It's very unusual when paired with the tart cranberry, and that's what makes the heart of the scent so striking. Mysore sandalwood doesn't have a strong smell at all—in fact many people (myself included) are fairly anosmic to it. What it does is in a blend is it provides depth and and binds the other materials together for a more seamless composition. Usually when people get an image of what sandalwood should smell like in their mind, it's a synthetic version—ebanol, javanol, sandalrome—all woody notes with a slight bitter, lactonic quality that have been around for years. Mysore (and I've tried the Mysore used in this without any of the other ingredients), is a slightly milky, woody thing with a bit of a raspy aspect, but it's extremely quiet and low key. So perhaps it's best to think about the Mysore in Zahd less as a note, and more of an effect that's a key player in the overall composition. What I would suggest though is to spray a small amount onto a tissue and let it sit for a few days. You'll be able to track the shifts through the attar to the amber base with more clarity, and understand what the scent is doing a little more. This stuff will last on paper for more than a week, so just set it aside and let it do its thing.

As far as people not talking about it goes, I'm not sure this is an instant like/dislike scent, and the people I've spoken to about it are still trying to figure out where they stand. With something this unusual and striking, there'll be some cognitive dissonance involved—especially after the wait. I think Slumberhouse fragrances take months to evaluate and appreciate, so I'd ask people two or three months from so, and see what they think then!
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 05:08 PM.

Absolutely correct regarding the "sense" of sandalwood, it is part of the creamy aspect, amongst other notes I am sure. And I also totally agree that this one will take many wears to figure out. That was day one, so much left to learn about this fragrance. The reference on the burned incense stick will most likely be lost to me though, as I have not really ever burned it, and certainly not the better stuff. My "feeling" of incense is more of a sharp, almost acrid smell, and this fragrance just didn't seem to go there. At least what I could detect so far.
    Currently wearing: No. 23 by Ava Luxe

I did spray the corner of a scarf with Zahd last week and the smell is still there and the drydown is wonderful. (And it was a black scarf so the stain is not an issue with this dense red juice!) Yes, still trying to figure Zahd out but I have retired the bottle for a little while. I figured four days in a row were enough. But my next day off I am going to wear it again, maybe two sprays this time.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I'm wearing my bottle for the first time today and I am very much enjoying it. I am pretty sure that dry scent you are getting is the wax from champaca. I'm fairly familiar with the note, and it seems like that is definitely it. I don't get much cocoa in here, though, especially compared to either version of Ore.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I'm wearing my bottle for the first time today and I am very much enjoying it. I am pretty sure that dry scent you are getting is the wax from champaca. I'm fairly familiar with the note, and it seems like that is definitely it. I don't get much cocoa in here, though, especially compared to either version of Ore.
    OK, I will admit to not having a clue what champaca wax smells like, so I will bow to the experienced nose that knows! The combination of notes at the top is delicious and unique, that I do know for sure!
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

OK, I will admit to not having a clue what champaca wax smells like
    Well, as far as I know, champaca wax (or cranberry concrete, for that matter), haven't been used before in perfumery, so that's not a surprising reaction. But you've smelled champaca before, right? It's a relative of both anise and magnolia, largely popularized through the similar smelling Nag Champa incense. Here, in its waxy form, you get a real thick, slightly bitter version of what is ordinarily a sweet floral that can go ordinarily a bit sickly quite fast. In this sense, the wax effect adds texture as if this were just tart cranberry and sweet florals, it'd be a bit of a killer—so it's that nuance that helps it along.

But this difficulty in figuring out what's going on with these scents isn't limited to Zahd as they all use absolutely bizarre / rare / unheard of materials. Dittany of Crete, algae, lapsang souchong, oakwood abs, whiskey lactone, clementine, bigarade, raspberry leaf etc are all ingredients that you don't see too often, but are in a number of scents from the line.
    Last edited by deadidol; 2nd March 2014 at 07:15 PM.

I do get the nag champa feeling a little later in the mid with Zahd and am very familiar with that smell, as I think I said in my initial review. Not knowing certain notes makes for nice surprises, but at the same time the unknown smells makes me want to know more.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion

OK, I will admit to not having a clue what champaca wax smells like, so I will bow to the experienced nose that knows! The combination of notes at the top is delicious and unique, that I do know for sure!
    Yeah, I mostly know it because of the incense and a few candles that I've had with champaca in it (which is more floral than this is).

Although I've taken issue with reviews from this writer in the past, here's a very insightful and dedicated take on Zahd: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...mited-edition/

Although I've taken issue with reviews from this writer in the past, here's a very insightful and dedicated take on Zahd: http://akafkaesquelife.wordpress.com...mited-edition/
    That really was an insightful review... thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I was lucky enough to get a sample of Zahd with an order. Just found and sniffed the paper I tested it on. Amazing! Even many days later the scent is still luxuriously there. Can't smell hardly anything on the other perfume papers from the same time. The wait for Zahd is definitely going to be worth it.
    I am finally sniffing Zahd today, thanks to some generous friends. Yes - this fragrance is powerful, powerful stuff. Even by the old standards, it has a titanic base. Hours later on paper, I feel like it's just getting into the heart.

Once, when my wife was away on vacation, I luxuriated in Kouros (which she hates) for days on end, just to see what the experience would be like. Just letting the base pile up like cord-wood, until the base was the fragrance itself. Zahd is stronger, one drop right out of the bottle. And yet I find its base very coherent - very singular - like the scent of roses made of some kind of incense.

Zahd is a gorgeous fragrance - literally something out of the past. It has a huge sense of nostalgia. I can sense my feelings toward it evolving, and I don't want that to stop, because it is so rich and multi-faceted, that it's not fair to pin it down.

I know that people literally want to hold on to their Zahd forever - to be covetous and sparing with it, but I almost feel that this is contradictory to the fragrance itself. Zahd begs to be worn in some kind of care-free last dance. It's like an old photograph that is falling apart in the rain, and all you can do is remember it. But that is the beauty of it. I don't even want to say why I feel this way, because that's not what matters. Zahd says something about the moment - about time itself.

There is an old bouquet of red roses laying on the stone fireplace in front of me. That is Zahd. I was in the basement a few days ago and found my father's school papers from the 1940's. There was a dried corsage stuck between decomposing pages of old construction paper. That is Zahd. And when I smelled the fragrance, I could see a parlor like the one in my brother's old, historical house, with its tin ceiling, antique furniture, and rich wooden trim. I could see a woman there. Is she wearing red velvet like the idea that inspired Josh? Or is it the upholstery of the old furniture? I don't know, I can't remember, and the memory is fading. And that, to me, is the beauty of Zahd.

It's like an old American version of mono no aware - the beautiful sadness of things. You can't - in the end - ever back up to beat it. Because that IS the beauty of it.

There is an urge for me to talk about the technicalities of why the fragrance makes me feel this way, but I just want to say to myself - no - talk about that later. For now, just revel in the feeling that Zahd gives me. And I really think that's more important. How does Zahd make you feel?

Blog Entries

I waited to read this until I just finished my first sniff - let's go see......