Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Slumberhouse Zahd

Initial impressions, an hour in: cherry, cocoa, sandalwood and myrrh. And some of that honey/hay you get with Sova. That's what my nose says, and its probably wrong. Enjoying though.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

A very nice BNer(thanks Jive) sent me a generous sample of Zahd. I have given it three full wearings and unfortunately its a pass from me. Im not good at note-picking but the scent is very cloying(sweet). Agree that it does give off a cherry coke/cherry lollipop vibe with coffee and smoke. Slumberhouse has produced some very good scents but, to me, this is not one of them.

Regards Rex

Basenotes Plus

I am wearing this as my SotD (courtesy of an amazing B'ner named PalmBeach) and it is quite potent! 1/2 spray to the chest and 1 two the wrist, tapped both wrists together, and then tapped them to the pulse points behind the ear. It is 27 degrees and this stuff is slicing through the cold like the glaive ran through the beast! Sweet, incensey goodness so far!
    Favorites at the moment:
    Xerjoff Uden
    Xerjoff Nio
    Creed Virgin Island Water
    Creed Aventus
    Frapin L'humaniste
    AdP Colonia Leather
    Dior Homme cologne 2013

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FISS80 View Post
    I am wearing this as my SotD (courtesy of an amazing B'ner named PalmBeach) and it is quite potent! 1/2 spray to the chest and 1 two the wrist, tapped both wrists together, and then tapped them to the pulse points behind the ear. It is 27 degrees and this stuff is slicing through the cold like the glaive ran through the beast! Sweet, incensey goodness so far!
    I can totally see this. Zahd is powerful stuff! And so different - just mind-blowing. I've been having to take a mainstream break the last few days to get my head back in one piece. A little Macy's therapy.

I gave Zahd a more typical wearing today, two sprays from a small atomizer vial. I got a completely different opening than when I dabbed it on my hand. Then, it was super-concentrated sugary cranberry with some myrrh and sandalwood under; today it went on as intense chocolate with cherry syrup, like one of those filled chocolate candies. To my surprise, my wife read it as incense and licorice. We both found it overpowering at first.

I anticipated a lessening of the sweetness and more wood and incense as the day wore on. That happened a little bit, but it's been about 14 hours now, and cranberry sugar has been dominant most of the day.

I think I'd like to try wearing just one tiny spray from the vial, or maybe diluting it some as Red suggested, although I generally feel it's the perfumer's job to provide the desired concentration. ;D But truth be told, this really has not endeared itself to me enough that I am looking forward to the next wearing. It's well into gourmand territory, too much so for me to enjoy.

I'm glad I got to try it, I feel very fortunate. And there's another thing I like. I've read a couple of comments to the effect that Zahd represents a more balanced and user-friendly approach than previous SH offerings. I don't find that; I am happy that this is just as heavy and weird as anything I've tried from the house to date. It's just not my style. I look forward to seeing what the next SH adventure will be.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Basenotes Plus

I wore Zahd yesterday on a warm, sunny day and thoroughly enjoyed the 'fusion' of the attar with the other ingredients in this one.

Normally, 'sweet' scents totally put me off (and so does 'fruity') but the sweetness in this doesn't annoy me at all because it's tempered by the other aspects and seems to become a part of the general overall experience so it's not intrusive to me.

I sampled a more traditionally composed recent 'exotic' scent over the weekend and it was way too sweet to be considered further.

I'm massively impressed by the way in which Zahd has been blended to produce something so unusual and unique (and do rather wish that the bottles had been larger).
    Last edited by lpp; 18th March 2014 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I wore Zahd yesterday on a warm, sunny day and thoroughly enjoyed the 'fusion' of the attar with the other ingredients in this one.

Normally, 'sweet' scents totally put me off (and so does 'fruity') but the sweetness in this doesn't annoy me at all because it's tempered by the other aspects and seems to become a part of the general overall experience so it's not intrusive to me.

I sampled a more traditionally composed recent 'exotic' scent over the weekend and it was way too sweet to be considered further.

I'm massively impressed by the way in which Zahd has been blended to produce something so unusual and unique (and do rather wish that the bottles had been larger).
    agree. It shouldn't work for me, but in fact it won me over.

Basenotes Plus

I'd never gone anywhere near cocoa until Ore either

Basenotes Plus

The reports are intriguing, and so is Slumberhouse in general. Going to have to get some samples of this in the near future. Zahd sounds like something I would wear!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by stargarden View Post
    The reports are intriguing, and so is Slumberhouse in general. Going to have to get some samples of this in the near future. Zahd sounds like something I would wear!
    Zahd was a limited release and is not in production, although some bottles may be listed for re-sale (in the Marketplace here, for example) in the future.

Samples of some of the others are available via Indiescents and possibly elsewhere.

I lucked into a bottle of Zahd, from a fellow BN'er. Sprayed 1 half-ish shot to the nape of my neck this morning (not working on Sunday) and have been in a cherry, dusty myrrh & wood cloud all day. In short, it's stunning.

Great capper to an all Slumberhouse weekend. Mare Saturday; Jeke for Saturday night out (went all night into Sunday morning) and then Zahd. Wow!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I lucked into a bottle of Zahd, from a fellow BN'er. Sprayed 1 half-ish shot to the nape of my neck this morning (not working on Sunday) and have been in a cherry, dusty myrrh & wood cloud all day. In short, it's stunning.

Great capper to an all Slumberhouse weekend. Mare Saturday; Jeke for Saturday night out (went all night into Sunday morning) and then Zahd. Wow!
    Unique, isn't it? Zahd is very "Slumberhouse", but it is certainly one of a kind.

You smell fantastic James!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

I got my bottle but I think I'm just not a cranberry person. Shall be selling/swapping mine.

Mine is out for delivery! Well, it got caught up in a 'hold mail' fiasco, but I'm expecting to collect it tomorrow. I am sooooo happy to have been able to acquire this one. I want to play with it, ala RP and try a bit diluted in some perfumer's alcohol. Stretching it seems like a good idea.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

I noticed that sometimes the cranberry facet comes out with a bang--tart and powerful--while other times the fragrance opens with more of a gourmand, cherry cordial smell. In the latter instance the cranberry emerges later, more softly. I prefer this opening to the former.

Default Slumberhouse Zahd

I'm very glad so many of you are finding Zahd so excellent, it seems some of you love it as much as I passionately love Norne. I have to ask a question though, and please believe me I don't mean it in an offensive way at all.......but for those of you diluting it, I am screaming at myself, "Am I in the Twilight Zone???" I'm giving it my lone full wearing today, and quite frankly, it's been pretty damn difficult to detect. At all. And I'm just at a loss on why anyone would think it needed weakened. I love Josh and his fearless creativity, but the fact that Zahd sits so very close to my skin has me wondering if you've gone a bit mad. Again, I'm actually smiling when I write this, I'm really just incredibly curious, not being insulting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

I thought that it wore fairly close to the skin the first time of wearing - on exiting & returning to the room that was proven not to be the case

Diluting it is not something that has occurred to me as it seems so beautiful the way that it was made but I guess that everyone has different ideas.

I am not sure I would want to dilute Zahd but I might try with a tiny bit. This one lasts a long time and one spray or a partial spray is enough for me. Will be interested to see how it works for others that might try.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

I don't find it to be undetectable by any means Markc, but it certainly does wear close to the skin. In my mind, the benefit of diluting would be to more effective spray it over a larger area. As it is, is sprays in sort of a red splotch, not really spreading. When I use it this way, I rub it over the area, but a dilution would allow me to skip that step. at least I imagine it would.

Right now, I'm spraying from a tiny Nordstrom style atomizer so I think one spray is not equivalent to a spray from the bottle would be. At that rate, I'm using three sprays today and am experiencing a soft cloud.

I'm about to go out for a brisk walk, will be interesting to see what the result is on a warm, glistening body.

I'm not sure the concentration of Zahd, but I'm guessing it's well over 30%. Keep that in mind as well...fragrances with super high concentrations are heavier and will sometimes sit closer to the skin.

If you chose to dilute, I'd urge you to let it sit for a while...like a month or so.
    Last edited by rynegne; 7th April 2014 at 06:57 PM.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 60ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

Thanks for the replies, and for understanding I meant no offense or harm.

I am still in that minority though who can't see the positives for subtle fragrances. And I don't mean to single out Zahd, which seems pleasant enough, which for me is saying a lot because I don't usually do anything but dislike berry scented fragrances. To me again, I just am of the opinion that if there are lotions out there that project more off the skin for $5, why spend over $100? Don't mind me, I'm just grumbling to myself hahaha.

Basenotes Plus

Grumble away

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Grumble away
    Hahaha thanks.

And to also add in defense of Zahd, I had merely 4 sprays left to apply, which is a little short of my normal application. I did 2 to the chest, 2 to my arm.

Basenotes Plus

O.K.....that's a bit more than me & it's still nicely present since this morning

I don't have any trouble knowing it's there & often do with many these days.
    Last edited by lpp; 7th April 2014 at 08:06 PM.

I agree and disagree with this...the Slumberhouse EdP's definitely jumped off of the skin in comparison to the newer extraits. But, many the EdP's were deemed unwearable by many because they were so strong and tenacious. The end result of the Slumberhouse extraits is a much more appealing and wearable product. Additionally, the newer stuff is much smoother and more well rounded...and in some cases they're different fragrance entirely (Vikt.) So I guess it's a little difficult to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    I am still in that minority though who can't see the positives for subtle fragrances. And I don't mean to single out Zahd, which seems pleasant enough, which for me is saying a lot because I don't usually do anything but dislike berry scented fragrances. To me again, I just am of the opinion that if there are lotions out there that project more off the skin for $5, why spend over $100? Don't mind me, I'm just grumbling to myself hahaha.
    MadHat Scents

Skiff (Ambergris, Tropical Fruit, Pacific Red Cedar, Floral Mukhallat) / Embers - ONLY 60ml Left (Un-burned Incense, Campfires, Leather and Resins) / Khus (Ruh Khus, Sandalwood, Rose, Geranium) / Oudhy (Dark Rose, Dried Woods, Oud, Musk)

I actually think the concentration is closer to 40% if I remember right.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Masque Milano Russian Tea

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Just a quick point as I'm on the go here. Sillage and projection are going to be low for most wearers as the concentration is so high (it's closer to 40% than 30%). With such high concentrations and less alcohol to burn off, you get a scent that sits close to the wearer and is very intimate and encompassing. That's part of the design, so it not just isolated to you
    Yup.

What does that concentration percentage actually mean? I just this morning read that Santa Maria Novella colognes are all 3%. And some of them jump off the skin and project like crazy. If they are 3% concentration, does that mean it's 97% alcohol??

3% does indeed mean 97% alcohol to 3% oils. 40% in Zahd is the amount of oils to 60% alcohol. Deadidol has a good explanation of why there's not as much sillage/projection.

"Just a quick point as I'm on the go here. Sillage and projection are going to be low for most wearers as the concentration is so high (it's closer to 40% than 30%). With such high concentrations and less alcohol to burn off, you get a scent that sits close to the wearer and is very intimate and encompassing." - Deadidol

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    What does that concentration percentage actually mean? I just this morning read that Santa Maria Novella colognes are all 3%. And some of them jump off the skin and project like crazy. If they are 3% concentration, does that mean it's 97% alcohol??

Last edited by rynegne; 7th April 2014 at 09:22 PM.
    MadHat Scents