Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Slumberhouse Zahd

Anyone else get their bottle?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

All I can say is that those of you brave enough to jump at this ultimate blind buy are in for a treat! I have now worn Zahd for three days in a row. Longevity on me is 8-12 hours. I never can really judge sillage because I can't step away from me to judge. But I have had multiple complements from friends. One said, "you smell like a man." Well, this is unisex so forget that one. Another one said it reminded them of Christmas. Must be the cranberry note. One more said they had never smelled anything so delicious and asked where they could buy it. Sadly I had to tell them they could never buy it and explaing why just frustrated her and she refused to understand how anything could be so limited. The uniqueness of this scent may be an issue here but it will only add to its forthcoming legendary status which I am almost certain will come. I am thinking that I may have to ration Zahd. Also hoping that any new scents from Josh will be equally brilliant...

Don't give up hope if you ordered a bottle. It will come. And you will ask yourself why you did not order extras. I for one am going to spray this on my scarf or on cloth to increase longevity. And treasure this one as something special, which it is.
    Last edited by Akahina; 22nd February 2014 at 04:49 AM.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Cranberry usually reminds me of Thanksgiving :-) The Slumberhouse that reminds me of Christmas is definitely Rume. Glad you're enjoying your bottle! Although it doesn't make much sense for me to revisit, you guys have me wanting to reach for my sample tomorrow with your wonderful comments and reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Another one said it reminded them of Christmas. Must be tge cranberry note.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Blog Entries

I for one am going to spray this on my scarf or on cloth to increase longevity. And treasure this one as something special, which it is.
    Good man! Rare and exclusive fragrance brings one more member to the "spray on cloth" club!

(Windsor, trying to enhance the rose note, was where I started down that path. I was shocked at how much it helped.)

Anyone have any objections to moving this thread over to General? I've no idea why it's filed in the MFD as this isn't a male/female fragrance. Perhaps getting a male perspective only was the goal? Anyhow, unless there are some valid objections as to otherwise, I'll bump it over later in the day so that the ladies of BN who are also receiving shipments this weekend can have a place to chat / discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Good man! Rare and exclusive fragrance brings one more member to the "spray on cloth" club!

(Windsor, trying to enhance the rose note, was where I started down that path. I was shocked at how much it helped.)
    I have read that spraying on cloth is traditional, or at least was common practice even long before I was born! It does help with longevity and extending the top notes. Zahd for example lasts about 8-12 hours on me, a little less than many Amouage scents but stilll top notch. However the scarf I sprayed once over 24 hours ago still smells wonderful! Top notes are gone but what remains is still amazing and I don't have to search for it.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Anyone have any objections to moving this thread over to General? I've no idea why it's filed in the MFD as this isn't a male/female fragrance. Perhaps getting a male perspective only was the goal? Anyhow, unless there are some valid objections as to otherwise, I'll bump it over later in the day so that the ladies of BN who are also receiving shipments this weekend can have a place to chat / discuss.
    As a male, the male fragrance discussion page is where I usually go. That's why I started it there. I think the first Slumberhouse thread on Basenotes was started on the male discussion page also. It had a ton of responses, but it was moved and now I'm not sure where it can be found. I'm not sure why there's an urgency to move threads from the male discussion forum. I believe the male forum is by far the most heavily trafficked discussion forum on Basenotes, so why not leave it there?

If the goal is to get more females involved in the discussion, why not do away with male/female forums and just have a general discussion forum?
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Quote Originally Posted by UngerWoo View Post
    As a male, the male fragrance discussion page is where I usually go. That's why I started it there. I think the first Slumberhouse thread on Basenotes was started on the male discussion page also. It had a ton of responses, but it was moved and now I'm not sure where it can be found. I'm not sure why there's an urgency to move threads from the male discussion forum. I believe the male forum is by far the most heavily trafficked discussion forum on Basenotes, so why not leave it there?

If the goal is to get more females involved in the discussion, why not do away with male/female forums and just have a general discussion forum?
    It actually wasn't moved -- it's in the Huddler archive, still waiting to be revived I guess. I think the sentiment is more that when a line produces unisex fragrances, we might think about placing them into the General discussion category -- which is where the existing Slumberhouse discussion is alongside a number of the other indies that don't acknowledge gender. We've had several female members of the site discovering discussions long after they started on unisex scent and wondering why they were tucked away in the male discussion board.

You might notice that we removed "Industry" from the title of "General" section in order to promote the discussion of non-gendered fragrances, and since then, General has actually become one of the most trafficked parts of the site. Long overdue!

But it's your thread, so I'll leave it up you

EDIT: Woah. I just noticed that this thread has been moved already. Hmmm.
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd February 2014 at 11:41 PM.

I've been mulling over Zahd all day. Refraining from commenting on it yet, but I will say one thing about it: Its development over the course of a full wearing is phenomenal.

And I think the new bottles are cool. I like them.

Blog Entries

EDIT: Woah. I just noticed that this thread has been moved already. Hmmm.
    Not I, said the Perfumisto in the back of the room.....

Apologies for the confusion - I moved this thread before logging out last night.

Is it to be returned to MFD?
    Last edited by lpp; 23rd February 2014 at 09:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Is it to be returned to MFD?
    NEVAH!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEVAH!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    No need for the slightest embarrassment! Leave that for us slowpokes who can't figure out what's going on!!!

The Zahd discussion is surprisingly quiet, almost non-existent.

I wonder why...

I'm not talking about it because I don't want to use it! It's a rare piece I'd rather not spray. But, at the same time - if I may be frank - it's highly unique, and "appealing" but not wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    I'm not talking about it because I don't want to use it! It's a rare piece I'd rather not spray. But, at the same time - if I may be frank - it's highly unique, and "appealing" but not wearable.
    I agree with you that I don't want to wear it because of the rarity, but disagree completely that Zahd is "not wearable". I find it extreemly wearable, probably the most wearable Slumberhouse to date and the most appealing. In fact I have now worn it 4 days in a row in order to become familiar with the scent. (Now it will become that special one that comes out rarely when the mood strikes.) I find it not only wearable, but adicting. Perhaps there is not much chat because very few people have accepted delivery yet.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Noticed it was your number 1! Quite a fan, and I respect that But you also like Opus VII, and I cannot respect it lol.

One thing I noticed was that the samples had a more "medicinal" smell on the top notes than the actual bottle does.

Noticed it was your number 1! Quite a fan, and I respect that But you also like Opus VII, and I cannot respect it lol.

One thing I noticed was that the samples had a more "medicinal" smell on the top notes than the actual bottle does.
    We all have different tastes! And I am very glad that more people don't care for OpusVII; that means that one of my most complemented scents is more exclusive to me! ;-)
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Regarding the opening, Zahd immediately smells like and reminds me of a cherry cordial--chocolate over cherry and cherry liqueur. The cocoa note is sweeter than the cocoa in Ore, perhaps wetter, and therefore it's more like chocolate candy, but not overly sweet. Zahd opens very much on the gourmand side of the spectrum. But the cherry cordial does not last too long, it transforms into more of a tart cranberry at which point it becomes medicinal (cough syrup to put it crudely...though it doesn't really smell like cough syrup, it might remind you of it). I haven't been able to analyze it much past this point, though I noticed that the chocolate makes a seamless transition into a rich sandalwood and something else (oud? champaca?) kind of base, that's a little darker than its previous stage. It's very smooth and lush and is a welcome transition from the gourmand opening. Floral notes also begin to emerge at this point, but they're different than typical florals I'm accustomed to.

As I said, I really only feel that I know the opening at this point, and the middle stages and drydown are becoming more clear but I haven't really tried to deconstruct them in any way yet.

Longevity and sillage is excellent. Zahd performs very well.

Regarding "wearability" I haven't worn it out and about yet, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think this one's going to be a problem. There's also certain facets in it that make it seem like it will be well suited for any season or time of the year, and that those facets will emerge and shine depending on the time of year.

Too early to say how I would rank this, or exactly say how I feel about it, but like Akahina said, it's addictive (just like I find Vikt addictive) and intriguing, and seems to have a lot of layers. I think Josh's "crushed velvet" comparison is pretty accurate too.

Too bad I'm at work right now...I really want to spray some Zahd.

And it is messy! Watch out!

at which point it becomes medicinal (cough syrup to put it crudely...though it doesn't really smell like cough syrup, it might remind you of it).
    And I hate this part of it. Anyone chemically nkow hwy it goes that way?

And I am very glad that more people don't care for OpusVII; that means that one of my most complemented scents is more exclusive to me! ;-)
    I love when people hate my favorites for this reason! You and I have the exact same tastes... I actually look to your opinion assuming I'll probably agree.

As for Zahd, it's stunning. I've worn it for the past two days, and it's gorgeous. I get a lot more of the cocoa than the cranberry which is disappointing since the cranberry I do get is outstanding. It is a very sweet and yummy scent, yet the opinions that I've gotten from ladies is that it's a very masculine scent. Also unlike anything I've smelled, with the champaca and attar giving it a truly unique and special feel. Sillage and projection suck for me, but that has more to do with my skin, while the longevity is great. Yesterday, I put it on at 10am before my flight to California, and all throughout the 6 hour flight I was continually treated to wafts of delicious Zahd at unexpected moments, coming back to say hi just when you think it's gone. It stuck around a solid 14 hours, though as a skin scent the majority of the time. I find it versatile and very easy to wear, can't see an occasion or season that it would be inappropriate. Yes, people associate cranberries with Christmas, but this scent would work fine in the summer since it's also so delicate and delicious. Though I do predict I will conserve the limited amount I have to special occasions like the holiday season.
    Last edited by rouj; 24th February 2014 at 06:24 PM.

Sounds great, Buysblind. Thanks for the appetizer! Mine is "out for delivery" - finally.

Buysblind: you had me at cherry! Great write up!

Aaaarrrrrghhh the suspense is killing me, I can't wait any longer!! Oh please Mr. Postman!!!

And I hate this part of it. Anyone chemically nkow hwy it goes that way?
    Chemically, no, but I think that's the cranberry concrete (is that what he called it?) emerging.

My wife doesn't like this part either, but I'm not ready to make a call on it either way. When I first tried Vikt, the opening licorice blast was hard for me to appreciate. It smelled like green Nyquil. But what I realized pretty quickly is that that was just an association. I got a bottle of green Nyquil out of my medicine cabinet and compared it side by side to Vikt. And in an instant the association vanished. I was cured. I realized that actually, they're nothing alike. Now I enjoy the licorice aspect of Vikt.

I'm not going to deny the "cough syrup" association that emerges after the initial cherry cordial stage, but I think it will dissipate on its own the more familiar I become with Zahd.

One good sign, is that I'm excited to go home and put some on. It's a very intriguing and different fragrance, and it's pleasant as well. I'm hesitant to wear it to work, as it could be distracting. But I can't wait to wear this out and see how it does.

Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post
    I love when people hate my favorites for this reason! You and I have the exact same tastes... I actually look to your opinion assuming I'll probably agree.

As for Zahd, it's stunning. I've worn it for the past two days, and it's gorgeous. I get a lot more of the cocoa than the raspberry which is disappointing since the raspberry I do get is outstanding. It is a very sweet and yummy scent, yet the opinions that I've gotten from ladies is that it's a very masculine scent. Also unlike anything I've smelled, with the champaca and attar giving it a truly unique and special feel. Sillage and projection suck for me, but that has more to do with my skin, while the longevity is great. Yesterday, I put it on at 10am before my flight to California, and all throughout the 6 hour flight I was continually treated to wafts of delicious Zahd at unexpected moments, coming back to say hi just when you think it's gone. It stuck around a solid 14 hours, though as a skin scent the majority of the time. I find it versatile and very easy to wear, can't see an occasion or season that it would be inappropriate. Yes, people associate cranberries with Christmas, but this scent would work fine in the summer since it's also so delicate and delicious. Though I do predict I will conserve the limited amount I have to special occasions like the holiday season.
    Nice rundown!

You're the second person to get comments on its 'masculinity.' I think someone told Akahina, "You smell like a man!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Buysblind: you had me at cherry! Great write up!

Aaaarrrrrghhh the suspense is killing me, I can't wait any longer!! Oh please Mr. Postman!!!
    Ha! Didn't recognize you with your new avatar (stop gloating!).

If you like Aomassai I think you'll like this one. They smell nothing alike. But they're both complex gourmand fragrances, that go beyond gourmand and reach some really interesting places.

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    Sounds great, Buysblind. Thanks for the appetizer! Mine is "out for delivery" - finally.

Three of my favorite words in the English language!

Sillage and projection suck for me, but that has more to do with my skin,
    Just a quick point as I'm on the go here. Sillage and projection are going to be low for most wearers as the concentration is so high (it's closer to 40% than 30%). With such high concentrations and less alcohol to burn off, you get a scent that sits close to the wearer and is very intimate and encompassing. That's part of the design, so it not just isolated to you

Just a quick point as I'm on the go here. Sillage and projection are going to be low for most wearers as the concentration is so high (it's closer to 40% than 30%).
    Good grief, 40%! If my samples are anything to go by, the sillage and projection suit me just fine. Zahd is such a complex scent that it doesn't need to be overwhelming as well.

40%, damn. No wonder this was his most costly perfume to date...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    My wife doesn't like this part either, but I'm not ready to make a call on it either way. When I first tried Vikt, the opening licorice blast was hard for me to appreciate. It smelled like green Nyquil. But what I realized pretty quickly is that that was just an association.
    These scents really take a while to get your head around -- which is why I thought the sample pass was very bad idea. They need to be worn quite heavily for a little while to really evaluate what they do. It's much less of a case of a quick "I like it" or "I don't like it." This is largely because they're truly unique—there's nothing out there that smells like Zahd, and it's a difficult scent to articulate in that it feels both familiar and totally bizarre at the same time. Furthermore, they work with mood and environment, kind of shaping both -- but it's also not necessarily going to be a "good" or a "happy" mood that they invoke. But one thing that can be said with certainty is that if you submit to them, they will alter your perception / experience of reality by essentially coloring your environment. This is why they're often described as experiences rather than simply perfumes. It sounds a bit hackney and cliched, but it's hard to deny that that's what's going on.

I totally agree with this...I could wear something like Dior Homme or CdG 2 Man any day, any occasion. More often than not, I reach for those two when I don't know what to wear...and Vettiveru joins the two in the spring and summer months. Slumberhouse, at least for me isn't just something I reach for...it's more of a fragrance experience for me. I have to really be in the mood to wear them. I couldn't reach for Rume if I knew that I was going to be in a meeting all day in a stuffy room next to three or four people. Surprisingly I wear Rume when I'm feeling down and I know I'm mostly alone for the day. The scent brings me back to my childhood and happy times, not sure what about it does that but it lifts me a little when I'm experiencing one of "those days." Similarly, I tend to wear Vikt when I'm feeling a little on edge...strange but it seems wearing of Slumberhouse is quite relative to my feelings and current mood, at least for me.

These scents really take a while to get your head around -- which is why I thought the sample pass was very bad idea. They need to be worn quite heavily for a little while to really evaluate what they do. It's much less of a case of a quick "I like it" or "I don't like it." This is largely because they're truly unique—there's nothing out there that smells like Zahd, and it's a difficult scent to articulate in that it feels both familiar and totally bizarre at the same time. Furthermore, they work with mood and environment, kind of shaping both -- but it's also not necessarily going to be a "good" or a "happy" mood that they invoke. But one thing that can be said with certainty is that if you submit to them, they will alter your perception / experience of reality by essentially coloring your environment. This is why they're often described as experiences rather than simply perfumes. It sounds a bit hackney and cliched, but it's hard to deny that that's what's going on.

Got my tracking # this evening!

I just got my tracking as well =) now i just need to wait for another 2 weeks or more to receive it.

I kind of wish that this thread hadn't been moved here, because then I wouldn't have seen it and pined for an impossible fragrance. Inspiring stuff, though. Crushed velvet. Cranberry. Cranberry is a very under-appreciated note in my opinion, and I haven't come across it much in the perfume world. I love the little poetic scraps at the bottom of the link (http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd). My brain works like that too on some days, where a phrase or a feeling will float by and you have to grab a pen and write it down before it disappears. An interesting look into the perfumer's mind, in an abstract way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peppermoon View Post
    I kind of wish that this thread hadn't been moved here, because then I wouldn't have seen it and pined for an impossible fragrance. Inspiring stuff, though. Crushed velvet. Cranberry. Cranberry is a very under-appreciated note in my opinion, and I haven't come across it much in the perfume world. I love the little poetic scraps at the bottom of the link (http://www.slumberhouse.com/zahd). My brain works like that too on some days, where a phrase or a feeling will float by and you have to grab a pen and write it down before it disappears. An interesting look into the perfumer's mind, in an abstract way.
    Just keep your eye on Slumberhouse - there will surely be more great art coming from this house! Stay in the game for the next unique scent!

Redneck Perfumisto, I actually haven't tried anything from Slumberhouse yet (yikes!). I've been meaning to test Norne on my "foresty scents" quest. Zahd's notes caught my eye, though it is way out of my price range. It seems I should start from the beginning with Slumberhouse, as so many experienced Basenoters vouch for its quality.

These scents really take a while to get your head around -- which is why I thought the sample pass was very bad idea.

Gee, deadidol, please don't worry. Josh found out about the sample pass and truly appreciates it. All is well.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post

Gee, deadidol, please don't worry. Josh found out about the sample pass and truly appreciates it. All is well.
    Oh, I'm sorry ScentFan -- it's just a personal preference more than anything. What you set up was more than generous (as well as a lot of work). The main reason I was so apprehensive is that I was seeing some odd and highly dismissive interpretations of the scents in other places around the same time, and it turns out that it was from a group who were sampling via test strips and quick dismissals without really wearing / spending time with them. For many brands it works just fine, but I think this one's a little different. Again, my apologies for been such a doofus (smacks self upside head).
    Last edited by deadidol; 25th February 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Got my tracking # this evening!
    Same here - we poor Canadians - have to wait much longer

Quote Originally Posted by badarun View Post
    Same here - we poor Canadians - have to wait much longer
    Sucks, eh?

I think you're going to like it, badarun.

Redneck Perfumisto, I actually haven't tried anything from Slumberhouse yet (yikes!). I've been meaning to test Norne on my "foresty scents" quest. Zahd's notes caught my eye, though it is way out of my price range. It seems I should start from the beginning with Slumberhouse, as so many experienced Basenoters vouch for its quality.
    Peppermoon, I, too, was on a quest for a foresty scent......for about 14-15 years. I tried dozens and dozens either personally suggested to me, or those recommended on posts on the subject. My first time sampling Norne.......quest was over. Done. This is the whole forest, natural as it gets, it's what I was looking for all this time. I strongly recommend you try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Peppermoon, I, too, was on a quest for a foresty scent......for about 14-15 years. I tried dozens and dozens either personally suggested to me, or those recommended on posts on the subject. My first time sampling Norne.......quest was over. Done. This is the whole forest, natural as it gets, it's what I was looking for all this time. I strongly recommend you try it out.
    Agree completely. Norne IS the forest primeval.

Oh, I'm sorry ScentFan -- it's just a personal preference more than anything. What you set up was more than generous (as well as a lot of work). The main reason I was so apprehensive is that I was seeing some odd and highly dismissive interpretations of the scents in other places around the same time, and it turns out that it was from a group who were sampling via test strips and quick dismissals without really wearing / spending time with them. For many brands it works just fine, but I think this one's a little different. Again, my apologies for been such a doofus (smacks self upside head).
    Apology accepted and not to worry. Slumberhouse will prevail!

Norne is now definitely on my to test list. Ever since my recent adventure to the forests in the Pacific Northwest, I've been jonesing for something that smells like those forests did.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

There's another company that focuses on wilderness scents - forgot the name, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Sucks, eh?

I think you're going to like it, badarun.
    BB - i'be been fortunate to have sampled a few versions of Zahd & I actually like the old version vikt which I own; couldn't resist a revised version, so went for that too...As for waiting, every SH purchase has been WORTH the wait - so no issues there.

Hopefully there are no issues @ customs when it enters canada; so far, never had issues with SH shipments; but u never know...

Juniper Ridge?

There's another company that focuses on wilderness scents - forgot the name, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Juniper Ridge?
    YES! Though I haven't tried them. Has anyone here?

YES! Though I haven't tried them. Has anyone here?
    I have. There's a discussion of the line around here somewhere. It's a totally different aesthetic.

Blog Entries

Not sure, but you might like some of the Ajne​ line. Out of California.

Not to nitpick... but I was hoping for some samples with Zahd. Bummed none were included.

I'm sure Josh was busy trying to get everything out, didn't have much time or the resources to do so. Also, that would be a lot of samples and juice to include for the 150 that purchased Zahd alone.

Not to nitpick... but I was hoping for some samples with Zahd. Bummed none were included.

Well with those great recommendations, looks like I'm definitely going to have to try Norne...and maybe Juniper Ridge too.

Blog Entries

Well with those great recommendations, looks like I'm definitely going to have to try Norne...and maybe Juniper Ridge too.
    Juniper Ridge is very much worth a sniff. D.I. is very right that Slumberhouse and Juniper Ridge are totally different aesthetics, and yet they are both "outsider" fragrances that shake up the existing mainstream aesthetics. I have friends who think JR is *the best fragrance ever*, because they were looking for unrestrained naturalism. Slumberhouse is nothing like that. Juniper Ridge is like nature microphotography with an artistic bent. Most amazing close-up shot of bark EVER - get your limited edition print. Slumberhouse is more like a new kind of abstract painting by a guy who's familiar with the natural worldview of the Pacific Northwest.

I am just thankful that I was interested in fragrance when this stuff happened. I'm actually not a huge lover of either line, but I respect people who can bring something new and compelling into the art world.

Juniper Ridge is very much worth a sniff. D.I. is very right that Slumberhouse and Juniper Ridge are totally different aesthetics, and yet they are both "outsider" fragrances that shake up the existing mainstream aesthetics.
    You should totally take a sniff, but you should also have a good sense of what you're getting with Juniper Ridge. Whereas Slumberhouse is composing perfumes, Juniper Ridge is basically bottling and selling extractions of shrubbery and other plant life. It less of a perfume experience, on more like climbing into a trash can filled with coniferous bits and pieces and then sitting there for a week. I've tried a couple from the line, and I'll be honest: I found them very, very difficult. I'm glad they exist because it's a cool idea (and their packaging is amazing!), but they really stink quite bad :P One's passable ("Siskiyou"), but the others give the impression of somebody stumbling out of a forest after being there for a week with no way to bathe. The other problem is that because of the way they're made (they're not really structured compositions, and there's no scaffolding to maintain them—it's literally just leafy water), they don't stick around long at all (which, IMO, is a good thing). I'm probably making them sound awful, but if you're into extremely raw and challenging olfactory experiences, they're worth taking for a spin. But just be aware that whereas Slumberhouse is "improper perfumery,"—it's still perfume. Juniper Ridge is something else entirely.

The packaging is beautiful, Hall (the guy behind it) is really cool, and the line is getting INSANE amounts of press, but just be prepared that it's a bit like rolling in the conifers for a week or so.
    Last edited by deadidol; 27th February 2014 at 08:18 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I have a sample of Zahd that a very generous Basenoter sent me last night. I am wearing it now.

I want to post my full impressions later. For now, I am sort of befuddled. I have never smelled ANYTHING remotely like this at all & I have sampled almost the full line.

I'll check back later

BTW: I don't see a picture of the bottle on this thread - are we still, respectfully, not posting pictures of the Zahd bottle?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

I know that some people outside of the USA haven't received their Zahd yet, so just click the link below to see the bottle.

http://distilleryimage9.ak.instagram...ba1d8069_8.jpg