Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Slumberhouse Zahd

Don't start diluting Zahd...

Just admit you don't like it and sell it.

If you have to chemically alter a scent to get yourself to like it, I think it's time to look at another scent.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Don't start diluting Zahd... Just admit you don't like it and sell it. If you have to chemically alter a scent to get yourself to like it, I think it's time to look at another scent.
    I feel the same way about layering scents, but people do it all the time.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

If you have to chemically alter a scent to get yourself to like it, I think it's time to look at another scent.
    You mistake me sir. I LOVE Zahd, but am interested in how to spread it about more effectively and allow it to last and last since I'll only ever have this one bottle. If I can dilute a bit and get my 30ml to last longer, you can bet I'll do it.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Curious to how you're diluting and with what materials? Only reason I ask is that I've seen people dilute before with rubbing alcohol or other oils like jojoba or coconut which will alter and ruin the fragrance. I wouldn't want to see anyone wasting their money or juice.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    You mistake me sir. I LOVE Zahd, but am interested in how to spread it about more effectively and allow it to last and last since I'll only ever have this one bottle. If I can dilute a bit and get my 30ml to last longer, you can bet I'll do it.
    Last edited by rynegne; 8th April 2014 at 01:59 AM.

I don't know danieq...your favorite bottle of wine will last longer if you pour water into it as well.

Is it worth it?
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Curious to how you're diluting and with what materials? Only reason I ask is that I've seen people dilute before with rubbing alcohol or other oils like jojoba or coconut which will alter and ruin the fragrance. I wouldn't want to see anyone wasting their money or juice.
    I bought perfumers alcohol for this purpose.

I don't know danieq...your favorite bottle of wine will last longer if you pour water into it as well.

Is it worth it?
    A difference of perspective. I enjoy diluted Bailey's for example. Not a wine drinker. But anyway, the point is not that I dislike Zahd as is, I LOVE it as is. But the fact is that I only have a very limited amount. The idea is to see whether I find that changing the concentration diminishes my enjoyment of it or if it might actually enjoy it for longer. But you are free to keep your perspective intact.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I feel the same way about layering scents, but people do it all the time.

Is it worth it?

A difference of perspective. I enjoy diluted Bailey's for example. Not a wine drinker. But anyway, the point is not that I dislike Zahd as is, I LOVE it as is. But the fact is that I only have a very limited amount. The idea is to see whether I find that changing the concentration diminishes my enjoyment of it or if it might actually enjoy it for longer. But you are free to keep your perspective intact.
    Really - the entire profession of bartending arises from the fact that mixing drinks works. I may love a good wine, beer, or whiskey, but I've had drinks that impressed me every bit as much.

The way I see it, every wear is an experiment in physical and chemical change of a fragrance. The whole reason I buy and love body products is that they change the scent. I spray on clothes to change the behavior of the scent (or retain it, depending upon one's perspective). Where I spray on my body changes a scent. Dabbing versus spraying changes a scent. Wearing the EDP with the EDT changes the scent, and adding deodorant, shampoo, and shaving balm complicates it even more.

Once DULLAH started me on tweaking of Windsor by spraying on clothing, he created a monster. As far as fragrance is concerned, be careful - "once you go hack, you never go back"!

It's not like I diluted all my Zahd! But half a mL of the stuff and 1.5 mL of perfumer's alcohol gives an "EDT" that wears like an EDP. Still smells like Zahd. Is there anything else in the whole universe that smells like Zahd? LOL Not that I know of. But my diluted Zahd brings the fragrance to a very interesting place, so why not? Still ruby red and stains everything it touches! And - given that Zahd isn't exactly blowing off the topnotes like a sport frag, there is precious little difference between the "EDT" and the pure Zahd sprayed lightly, except that with the EDT, it's just plain easier to do. And if you go light with the EDT, it gives a nice subtle Zahd scent that is really more my style, most of the time.

And layering. Collage. When it works, it's beautiful. Rejection of layering reminds me of IT management that refuses to use more than one language to solve a problem optimally. I'm clearly a heretic and not a purist in that regard - I'm very empirical, and believe in using the right tool for every job or piece of a job. In layering, I've simply found fragrances that can yield new solutions, measured by the metric of my own tastes, by mixing in things which add what I regard as missing pieces to create something new. It's entirely analogous to solutions by linear combinations. It's basically a form of minimal perfumery, ghastly as it is to the original perfumers. But in fact it proves something really fascinating about olfactory space - the idea that there are so many sweet spots, that linear combinations of known sweet spots are very likely to land in new ones. But really, that's the same reason that combinations of accords work. It really is lucky for us that so many combinations still smell good.

But don't worry - I don't layer or hack my frags all the time. OK - maybe just a little bit. But I do respect the original work, between Photoshop jobs!

Personally I don't care if others layer scents! To each their own. There are likely many combinations that work well and Bond encourages layering as do a few other houses. I am not a purist by any sense of the word and yes, I may dilute a tiny bit of Zahd myself just as an experiment. I don't see how mixing it down to a lighter dilution would be any great sacrilige. It will likely still smell like Zahd. However, if I ever layer Tribute with Crush, just kill me...please.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    However, if I ever layer Tribute with Crush, just kill me...please.
    LOL!!!

I momentarily thought of layering Zahd with Green Irish Tweed, but I considered the possibility of all sorts of horrible, mutated offspring, and ended up leaving it as a road not traveled!

Basenotes Plus

Interesting replies

Didn't Josh once suggest just gently 'distributing' an earlier, dark-coloured scent?

I usually just wipe my wrists against each other to spread it a bit & don't have staining issues (but will admit to enjoying the visual of the initial red drippiness).
    That's how I apply attars too.

My approach has been to wear it less often than something in a 100ml bottle/in current production and just really appreciate it on those occasions but everyone will have their own ideas, which is one of the reasons that these threads are so much fun.

When it's gone, the memory will be indelibly printed on my brain
    Last edited by lpp; 8th April 2014 at 10:37 AM.

It's all good Danieq. Just wanted to make sure you didn't corrupt what little you had. But after reading your reply and Red's reply I see how dilution is a reasonable approach.

By the way, how much do you have? A bottle or small decant? A small sample?
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

Good! Would want to see anyone ruin their juice, that's the only reason I ask.

Red/Danieq, what concentration have you diluted your Zahd decants to? Just curious to how it's performing at each concentration in terms of longevity/silliage/overall smell.

Also, another note for Mark. I'm guessing (I don't know for sure) that Zahd is composed of a ton of naturals...this can keep the fragrance at low projection/sillage levels as well. Most of us are used to having lower concentration fragrances with a high amount of synthetics vs. naturals.

Of the natural fragrances I've tried and/or made tend to sit close to the skin and last a day or longer...as body heat or body moisture goes up the natural fragrances tend to pump out little bursts of projection throughout the wear.

Good! Would want to see anyone ruin their juice, that's the only reason I ask.

Red/Danieq, what concentration have you diluted your Zahd decants to? Just curious to how it's performing at each concentration in terms of longevity/silliage/overall smell.

Also, another note for Mark. I'm guessing (I don't know for sure) that Zahd is composed of a ton of naturals...this can keep the fragrance at low projection/sillage levels as well. Most of us are used to having lower concentration fragrances with a high amount of synthetics vs. naturals.

Of the natural fragrances I've tried and/or made tend to sit close to the skin and last a day or longer...as body heat or body moisture goes up the natural fragrances tend to pump out little bursts of projection throughout the wear.

Thanks Rynegne. It's kind of embarrassing how little I know about the science of fragrance being that I've worn it since I was a teen. Someday, I'd definitely want to take a shot at playing around and creating something. Can you point me to where you started when you did some research?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not embarrassing at all. I've been listening to music forever and I don't know the least bit about composing a song...or playing the guitar outside of a few chords. This website is a great resource along with the internet in general. I will say, it can be very misleading...some of the information you read out there. I wasted a lot of time and money using the wrong resources suggested. There are several people in the DIY Forum in Paul, Chris and David that are extremely helpful as well...basenotes DIY section wouldn't be where it is without them.

Quote Originally Posted by markc View Post
    Thanks Rynegne. It's kind of embarrassing how little I know about the science of fragrance being that I've worn it since I was a teen. Someday, I'd definitely want to take a shot at playing around and creating something. Can you point me to where you started when you did some research?

Last edited by rynegne; 8th April 2014 at 03:27 PM.

It's all good Danieq. Just wanted to make sure you didn't corrupt what little you had. But after reading your reply and Red's reply I see how dilution is a reasonable approach.

By the way, how much do you have? A bottle or small decant? A small sample?
    I have a FB plus a few samples and a decant. Just this week scored the FB so I have a little wiggle room. I have not yet done any dilutions as I want to get some glass atomizers in which to try it (only have plastic at present). I did, however, try it with Ore Extrait at a ratio of 2 ml alcohol to 1ml Ore with a positive result. The scent was the same but I felt I was able to spread it more effectively.

Basenotes Plus

Captain Obvious says: If the concentration is 30-40% and you want to dilute it, going 50-50 on Zahd and your diluting agent will give you an eau de parfumish concentration which might still not be as loud as its toilette or cologne cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Captain Obvious says: If the concentration is 30-40% and you want to dilute it, going 50-50 on Zahd and your diluting agent will give you an eau de parfumish concentration which might still not be as loud as its toilette or cologne cousins.
    You'd think it'd be that simple, but dilution will alter the profile. That's why formulas need to change with dilution (see Vero's stuff for example). P+O will be returning to its EdP form soon, but it's a different structure altogether as simply cranking up the alcohol content will result in something that's essentially not P+O -- at least in the way the perfumer intended it. Watered-down Zahd will certainly produce something, but it won't be Zahd.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    You'd think it'd be that simple, but dilution will alter the profile. That's why formulas need to change with dilution (see Vero's stuff for example). P+O will be returning to its EdP form soon, but it's a different structure altogether as simply cranking up the alcohol content will result in something that's essentially not P+O -- at least in the way the perfumer intended it. Watered-down Zahd will certainly produce something, but it won't be Zahd.
    I 100% agree.

I mean, bottom line, it's yours to do what you want with. But it's kind of like taking a rare, vintage whisky, and adding coke to it

Slumberhouse's high concentrations are integral to the shift in aesthetic from the screamingly loud, borderline obnoxious EdP concentrations of a few years ago to something more reserved and mannered. Ore, Vikt, Zahd, Norne were all retooled to provide more intimate experiences rather than being some Bond-esque building evacuator. Although P+O is returning to EdP from extrait, that one's a bit of an anomaly in that the structure is quite altered and it actually comes across more tastefully in the EdP form. If Baque does end up returning, it'll be in extrait as the EdP is punishingly loud.

I agree, it will not definitely not smell the same...but become more of less a shell of the current concentration with additional alcohol. Maybe that's what some people are looking for though. I know a majority of people like their Maker's with Coke rather than neat :-) not me though...aside from the occasional rocks.

I'm glad to see Baque will return in extrait form, if released. The old EdP was one of my favorite scents, but it was just way too amped up and in-your-face for me to wear outside of the house. I remember specifically trying not to break the nozzle or let out a huge spray as I would SLOWLY press down on the trigger.

The only EdP of Slumberhouse I still prefer is Rume. For whatever reason this one abstained from reaching the super abrasive and loud levels the EdPs of Vikt, Baque and even Grev.

The only EdP of Slumberhouse I still prefer is Rume. For whatever reason this one abstained from reaching the super abrasive and loud levels the EdPs of Vikt, Baque and even Grev.
    Oh, I found that one to be pretty loud in EdP! It actually took a visit to the Extraitor™ at one point but got a bit mangled in the process. Some scents just work better as EdP.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, I found that one to be pretty loud in EdP! It actually took a visit to the Extraitor™ at one point but got a bit mangled in the process. Some scents just work better as EdP.
    Zahd would have presumably have been diluted further at source if it was a great idea? - but each to their own.
    Last edited by lpp; 8th April 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Again, just to reiterate and explain further why I don't admire subtle, more personal scents......I'm really no Disco Stu or some figure that wants to drown out a room with loud cologne 70s style. I would however, like a little feedback from friends and people I work with once in a while. Simply put, I wouldn't mind if the fragrance I was wearing was noticeable to others I'm standing or sitting close to. This did happen a few times in the 90s when things were less muted. I just don't appreciate the "toning down" that so many others seem to enjoy. And most especially, if I myself have trouble detecting it on my forearm, to me that's a HUGE negative. Especially considering how hard I work to make money to spend on something I'd like to enjoy. This is just me trying to explain where I'm coming from, not meant to criticize what anyone else's preferences are. I want something that projects a bit.

I do the one spritz and rub technique. Believe me it's still strong as ever, it's just not as loud and aggressive as Baque or Vikt to me...but DEFINITELY every bit as tenacious and long-lasting. I spritzed my wrists once...just once and dabbed together and the smell of Rume was on the cuffs of my jacket for no lies...the better part of two or three weeks.

I mean, bottom line, it's yours to do what you want with. But it's kind of like taking a rare, vintage whisky, and adding coke to it

Slumberhouse's high concentrations are integral to the shift in aesthetic from the screamingly loud, borderline obnoxious EdP concentrations of a few years ago to something more reserved and mannered. Ore, Vikt, Zahd, Norne were all retooled to provide more intimate experiences rather than being some Bond-esque building evacuator. Although P+O is returning to EdP from extrait, that one's a bit of an anomaly in that the structure is quite altered and it actually comes across more tastefully in the EdP form. If Baque does end up returning, it'll be in extrait as the EdP is punishingly loud.
    two reactions to this. First, if Bacque is returning as an extract, I say yay to that and where do I sign up? Because I find all of the extracts in the line very good if not outstanding, and I prefer not to project much.

Second, if Pear+Olive is being retooled as an EDP, maybe I better get on the stick and buy the extrait!

Btw, I did this as a young-un with my Dad's favorite alcoholic beverage. To this day, 40 years later, he still grumbles about that!!!

Lol James.

I don't intend to dilute it all. Try not to worry. I am just interested in the experiment. I don't think I had realized that EdP is usually projecting more. Why is that the case?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I am bemused at any suggestion that Zahd doesn't project. I found it to be every bit as "loud" as Jeke or Sova extraits. I use only one spray of SH extraits. I use two of almost everything else, from every other house. I can't even imagine what the EdPs must have been like. Of course, we perceive differently and have different expectations and desires, I am not disparaging or questioning anyone's perception, I just can't imagine wanting these to project more for me!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

I don't think I had realized that EdP is usually projecting more. Why is that the case?
    Alcohol is a "carrier," meaning that it carries the scent from the body with heat. With less alcohol involved and more compound, there's a higher chance that the scent will sit closer to the skin and perform more intimately. With that said, what goes into the compound also plays a role as many naturals won't project (or last) on their own, which is why they're often bolstered with synthetic counterparts and "fixed." However, if you take something like a Jo Malone scent, the alcohol-to-compound ratio is so out of whack, that you'll only get an hour or so out of it before it expires—there's simply not enough in the compound to keep up with the alcohol evaporation. Now, take something like a Bond scent or something like Joop!: these are largely built upon aroma chemicals that, even in low concentrations, are nuclear in strength, and can therefore get by with a lower concentration of alcohol than a perfume that uses more natural materials. Zahd has both naturals and synthetics—and some of the synthetics are quite strong (ethyl maltol), but the concentration is significantly ramped up in this one by the presence of myrrh absolute, which is diluted with a high concentration.

So, generally speaking, the more alcohol, the more projection—but what's in the compound plays a role as well.

Confession time. I'm a little intimidated by Zahd, my first Slumberhouse. I have only tested it once, but it it became so cloying that I just wanted it to go away. The top notes were so strong that I never had a clear enough nose to experience any further development & it was kind of a turn off. I put one spritz on each of my forearms. Was that too much? I really want to *get* this & enjoy it like everyone else.

Alcohol is a "carrier," meaning that it carries the scent from the body with heat. With less alcohol involved and more compound, there's a higher chance that the scent will sit closer to the skin and perform more intimately. With that said, what goes into the compound also plays a role as many naturals won't project (or last) on their own, which is why they're often bolstered with synthetic counterparts and "fixed." However, if you take something like a Jo Malone scent, the alcohol-to-compound ratio is so out of whack, that you'll only get an hour or so out of it before it expires—there's simply not enough in the compound to keep up with the alcohol evaporation. Now, take something like a Bond scent or something like Joop!: these are largely built upon aroma chemicals that, even in low concentrations, are nuclear in strength, and can therefore get by with a lower concentration of alcohol than a perfume that uses more natural materials. Zahd has both naturals and synthetics—and some of the synthetics are quite strong (ethyl maltol), but the concentration is significantly ramped up in this one by the presence of myrrh absolute, which is diluted with a high concentration.

So, generally speaking, the more alcohol, the more projection—but what's in the compound plays a role as well.
    Explanation much appreciated. Thanks!

Genie, I sprayed one spray and rubbed it on both arms in my first tests,perhaps try that. Or even 1/2 spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    Confession time. I'm a little intimidated by Zahd, my first Slumberhouse. I have only tested it once, but it it became so cloying that I just wanted it to go away. The top notes were so strong that I never had a clear enough nose to experience any further development & it was kind of a turn off. I put one spritz on each of my forearms. Was that too much? I really want to *get* this & enjoy it like everyone else.
    I don't think it's the easiest one to slide into either—it is somewhat overwhelming upfront. There's actually a great critical review of it over on Fragr**tica (and I mean a GREAT review) that shares your concerns. For a first Slumberhouse, it's not the most representational. But I urge you to hang onto it because what you'll find with the line is that aesthetic is so different—and somewhat challenging at first—that there's a bit of a shock at first. Once you become more familiar and accustomed to general aesthetic, Zahd will probably start to make more sense. I've returned to scents that I didn't particularly like only find that they suddenly click. If not, you'll be able to sell it in a few months with no problem at all—probably for more than you paid

Quote Originally Posted by Genie Jeanie View Post
    The first couple of times I wore Zahd, and Mare for that matter, I dabbed, did not spray, and only 1 schmear on the back of my hand. You might try that, to keep the 'volume' down a bit as you explore the scent. I still wear Norne that way. Its great, but its BIG.

Basenotes Institution

Good idea. I have worn it about 3 times and each time has been more challenging than the last - and now that it's Spring/Summer in Miami it's the last thing I want to reach for.

But next time I encounter it I'm going to dab it on, not spray it. I'll do the same for the other samples from the house, that I have not warmed to.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 9th April 2014 at 04:19 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the replies everyone! The excellent reviews you suggested were very helpful, deadidol. (both of them ) The term " front-loaded" is a perfect description of my experience with Zahd. I think a bit of adjustment to my application method will bring me through the transition that was sorely missing in my first attempt.

Danieq & James, I obviously overdid my application with 2 full sprays! I think my best approach for the next try is to decant a bit (using hazmat protective gear) & give it the 1 schmear test.

You're right about the weather here in Florida being a major drawback, Mike. We're already in the 80s during the day & I'm finding myself reaching for the lighter scents in my wardrobe. I think I'll need to barricade myself in the house with the ac cranked up to get in the right mood for this nose grenade.

I may give test #2 a run over the weekend.

Best of luck Genie! I bet the two of you will learn to play nice. You're just having a touch of culture shock.

A generous BNer gave me a sample of Zahd, and while I'm very glad to have tried it, boy am I ever happy I didn't jump at a bottle.

I've tried it twice, and quite liked it (which is saying something, as the entire "berry" family usually leaves me ice-cold) ... but. There's something in it. Something dry, woody, almost "brushy" - I think it might be the trisamber Josh discussed with Kafkaesque in a series of tweets. Whatever it is... it's... persistent, and extraordinarily distinctive. All the clothes I wore when I sampled Zahd smell of it - and I've washed them. Any clothes that have touched those clothes smell of it. The strap of my bag smells of it, and any clothes that touch that strap. I keep smelling it, and thinking, "what's that - Zahd? What? Oh."

"Slumberhouse Zahd. A single spray is forever." Or at least, going on two weeks now.

I --- yeah, I'm pretty weary of Zahd at this point.
    Last edited by CompassRose; 11th June 2014 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CompassRose View Post
    A generous BNer gave me a sample of Zahd, and while I'm very glad to have tried it, boy am I ever happy I didn't jump at a bottle.

I've tried it twice, and quite liked it (which is saying something, as the entire "berry" family usually leaves me ice-cold) ... but. There's something in it. Something dry, woody, almost "brushy" - I think it might be the trisamber Josh discussed with Kafkaesque in a series of tweets. Whatever it is... it's... persistent, and extraordinarily distinctive. All the clothes I wore when I sampled Zahd smell of it - and I've washed them. Any clothes that have touched those clothes smell of it. The strap of my bag smells of it, and any clothes that touch that strap. I keep smelling it, and thinking, "what's that - Zahd? What? Oh."

"Slumberhouse Zahd. A single spray is forever." Or at least, going on two weeks now.

I --- yeah, I'm pretty weary of Zahd at this point.
    I'm sorry, Katharine. I know what you're going through, though ... as much as I love Slumberhouse, I always have to be careful what I wear it with. I've had several clothing items retain the scent for weeks afterwards. And considering that Zahd is possibly the most heavily concentrated scent he's released, that only magnifies the problem.

I don't mind with any of the rest of them. Basically my entire wardrobe all winter holds little honey ghosts of Sova and warm wisps of Baque. This whatever-it-is in Zahd, though - brushy! And dry. It's just assertive and insistent instead of lingering more politely. It's really weird.

I did like the actual wear part -- and as I said, only Josh could've made a berry fragrance I would even remotely enjoy, probably.

Basenotes Institution

I know EXACTLY the note you're talking about CompassRose and it also manages to keep me from fully enjoying this scent as much as I do the others (Sova & Vikt).
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle