Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which one smells more skanky and dirty? Muscs Koublai Khan or Leather Oud?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Muscs Koublai Khan

16 35.56%
  • Leather Oud

25 55.56%
  • Both are the same level of skanky and dirty

4 8.89%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which one smells more skanky and dirty? Muscs Koublai Khan or Leather Oud?

Which one smells more skanky and dirty? Muscs Koublai Khan or Leather Oud? Both are pretty awesome!
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Default Re: Which one smells more skanky and dirty? Muscs Koublai Khan or Leather Oud?

Lol....... This thread is just what I need for that Xmas chuckle. It's leather Oud that's more skanky than MKK, I could wear MKK to church.
    Currently wearing: Patchouli by Murdock

Dependent

Default Re: Which one smells more skanky and dirty? Muscs Koublai Khan or Leather Oud?

I didnt vote, as I havent smelled MKK. But I LOVE leather oud... Having a light trigger finger is key. It "can" be very pleasant.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Both are way exaggerated, especially MKK. I didn't find anything stanky about MKK.

Leather Oud definitely has a civet note that is clear as crystal, but its nowhere near what some say about it.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

I have smelt both and I own Leather Oud. My nose says LO is skankier.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Have and love both - MKK is probably a bit on the dirtier side than LO, in my opinion.

Mkk has a faint stink initially, but soon turns into a sweet musky skin scent. Try parfums d empire musc tonkin for some skank.

This is an interesting comparison! MKK tends to have very different effects on different people due to the nature of the musks used and anosmia, whereas almost everyone gets the civet in LO. So I'd say that LO wins out on consistency of skank, whereas MKK's can be flowers and sweetness for some, and full-on crotch for others.

If you're curious about skanking it up, though, I'd invite you to seek out Brent Leonesio's No. 8 (which, IMO, should be called No. 2). When I tried it at Scent Bar, the manager handed it to me carefully and said "don't get it on your skin."

Honestly though, it wasn't that bad. I swear.

Basenotes Plus

^^^^ Or as some swear, try Masque Montecristo.

Leather Oud would be my choice
    (1685)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

MKK, in sort of a nursing home kind of way, but I don't think that they're comparable scents.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    ^^^^ Or as some swear, try Masque Montecristo.
    Best. Skank. Ever.

I must try Masque Montecristo lol but its unavailable in NA. It has hyrax!

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    I must try Masque Montecristo lol but its unavailable in NA. It has hyrax!
    It'll be at Lucky Scent soon enough. The hyrax/hyraceum isn't too strong in it, to be honest. If you want a hyrax bomb, check out Olympic Orchids' Tropic of Capricorn!

As others have said, musk perceptions vary a lot, so what is superdirty to some could be superclean to others (I know people who find Le Labo oud clean soapy...). To my nose, MKK is dirtier, also because it's centered on musks, while Leather oud has woods and leather above the animalics.

cacio

I don't get any shanky/dirty accord from leather oud
    For MKK I get earthy smell but not dirty

Banned
    Blog Entries

Mkk

MKK is voluptuously fruity and floral at first but dries down to a flat, blunt civet in my experience.

Leather Oud is animalic in a nice way , MKK smells as if you had a one night stand with Marilyn Monroe wearing No 5 and MKK is the result in the morning.

Leather Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    This is an interesting comparison! MKK tends to have very different effects on different people due to the nature of the musks used and anosmia, whereas almost everyone gets the civet in LO. So I'd say that LO wins out on consistency of skank, whereas MKK's can be flowers and sweetness for some, and full-on crotch for others.
    This. On me MKK is sometimes nice and dirty other times it is like a box of turkish delight; I much prefer the former. LO is just a very nice scent with a a strong (though not dirty to me) civet note.

APLS is another.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I have and love both. While MKK's reputation precedes it with a larger-than-life image, Leather Oud is dirtier, stronger and longer lasting.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I would say that Leather Oud is the dirtier one here. MKK can be sweet and pleasantly musky, whereas even the smallest over-application of Leather Oud can leave you wondering whether you've stepped in something. (I prefer LO, for the record.)

Leather Oud more animalic to my nose ...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Power Where You Need It

I adore and own both. I find MKK pretty dirty during the opening but after it settles down, what you're left with is an amazing musky-floral that's well behaved and enjoyable. Leather Oud, on the other hand, it's hardcore throughout. With that said, they now have a serious contender: Montecristo.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Leather Oud is one of the kings of Skank.
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

This is a pretty good heavy weight match.... very close vote
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Dependent

Leather Oud for sure...when I was just getting into this hobby a good Basenoter sent me a sample of this one and I honestly thought it was a joke...I thought that some how he had just liquified some straight up poo and stuck it in a vial. Yep, and I have smelled it quite a few times since then and it still smells that same way. I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would want to smell like that...let alone pay so much money to smell like that...don't wipe after you do your business and you can smell the same way, and it's free.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    ....With that said, they now have a serious contender: Montecristo.
    Wifey officially seized my LO last night, with any further sharing by me not really welcome. ^^ This looks like my way out.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Wifey officially seized my LO last night, with any further sharing by me not really welcome. ^^ This looks like my way out.
    Do yourself a favor. Put your hands on a bottle as soon as you can

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here