Code of Conduct

Default Getting Frags Into the Directory

What do you have to do to get a fragrance into the directory?

I filled out the submission form with all the required info and more about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Still nothing.

Is there another way to do this that I'm missing?

Just wondering. There's a couple frags I'd like to get into the directory.

Default Re: Getting Frags Into the Directory

I don't think you are missing anything. I recalled it took about a month or so for the Majda Bekkali scents incorporated into the directory. That's my observation for this particular example and those were the only scents I had ever requested.

Hopefully Mods can shed some light into this.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 17th December 2013 at 10:01 PM.

I'd like to understand the criteria and the process better too.

I am still waiting for Jo Malone's Saffron Cologne Intense to be added.

First I just have to say that the mods are not involved in this process, the work on the directory happens at the Admins level.

From what I understand the inclusion of new items in the directory had to be set aside during the transition period from huddler, so now it's quite a backlog to get through. I think the top priority was to add the 2013 releases, especially from the most well known houses. The rest of the process is not known to me, but I would guess it takes time to verify the data, and maybe to get the rights to publish photos? And most importantly, the time to do all of these things.
    Last edited by furrypine; 18th December 2013 at 04:59 PM.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Thanks for the explanation.

(1754)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dear furrypine,

Thank you for your answer. It provides valuable insight into all the work necessary to run this wonderful website.

Sound Scents

This is one of the most frustrating aspects of BN for me (and I am sure many others including the Admins who have to deal with the ever growing backlog) -- and let's face it, new fragrance postings during the Huddler tenure were not really much faster or more complete. The new fragrance backlog has been a relative constant since I joined over 10 years ago (not to mention the even larger amount of fragrances that need correcting with incorrect release years, gender assignments, etc.). I truly hope the BN Admins take a long look at the brilliant collaborative research effort the Admins at Parfumo.net have implemented with their membership. By having volunteer members help with the fragrance vetting and correction process, fragrances are posted and/or corrected within a week or less the vast majority of the time with many the next day! Their directory's relative completeness is proof positive that teamwork can pay off big time.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Hello.

Currently Basenotes is run by Grant (full-time) and me (part-time - I also have a day job). Recently, Dani was taken on to take care of the Basenotes Community, and Basenotes Dude is our tech expert/back up; both Dani and Basenotes Dude also have other jobs. That is the sum total of Basenotes admin staff.

When we were on the Huddler platform, the system for adding fragrances was *so* ridiculously time-consuming that it *literally* took ten times longer to add each one (yes, I timed it). As a result, and with the knowledge that we were returning to this platform, we added the minimum fragrances necessary.

Now we have a backlog, which we are working through - in part thanks to the hard work of furrypine - and several hundred fragrances have been added since the return. Each fragrance needs to be vetted before publishing - currently this is Grant's responsibility alone; he will be recoding, when he gets the chance, so that I can do so too. We're also trying to standardise note entries as we go so that the search works more efficiently.

Added to this, we have the coding of the Huddler Era information to complete, and we also had a much higher than normal e-mail load to deal with for the month or so after the return. Meanwhile, we also need to keep up with the normal day-to-day work - writing articles/reviewing reviews, etc.

In a nutshell, we are behind, but we are working on it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

You guys do a great job

Thanks Judtih for taking the time to explain this further. I can imagine how overwhelming this all can be for administrators.

(1868)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks chaps, it's appreciated. It's been a hard few months, but we're getting there, steadily. Once we've caught up some more, we hope to look into ways of making the system for this more efficient - and introducing other improvements which were on hiatus before/during Huddler.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    This is one of the most frustrating aspects of BN for me (and I am sure many others including the Admins who have to deal with the ever growing backlog) -- and let's face it, new fragrance postings during the Huddler tenure were not really much faster or more complete. The new fragrance backlog has been a relative constant since I joined over 10 years ago (not to mention the even larger amount of fragrances that need correcting with incorrect release years, gender assignments, etc.). I truly hope the BN Admins take a long look at the brilliant collaborative research effort the Admins at Parfumo.net have implemented with their membership. By having volunteer members help with the fragrance vetting and correction process, fragrances are posted and/or corrected within a week or less the vast majority of the time with many the next day! Their directory's relative completeness is proof positive that teamwork can pay off big time.
    They had a bit of an advantage, coming in late in the game (an even greater advantage than Fragrantica did). When they first started up the international side over at parfumo, they were basically designing the fragrance input system, so they were able to adopt a more crowd-sourced model very easily. But clearly they did so, and that is the way of the future, obviously. I've noticed that they have had fragrances in there before they're available - in one case, at the point where a RUMOR of the launch was confirmed. When I saw that, I was actually a bit stunned.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    They had a bit of an advantage, coming in late in the game (an even greater advantage than Fragrantica did). When they first started up the international side over at parfumo, they were basically designing the fragrance input system, so they were able to adopt a more crowd-sourced model very easily. But clearly they did so, and that is the way of the future, obviously. I've noticed that they have had fragrances in there before they're available - in one case, at the point where a RUMOR of the launch was confirmed. When I saw that, I was actually a bit stunned.
    This is the model all should emulate and they deserve complete credit for its excellent execution. I hope others will follow their example of how things can and (IMO) should be done.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

This is the model all should emulate and they deserve complete credit for its excellent execution. I hope others will follow their example of how things can and (IMO) should be done.
    I've always been awed as to how they've been able to carry that out
    so well.It's indeed enviable.

(1926)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I've always been awed as to how they've been able to carry that out
    so well.It's indeed enviable.

(1926)
    I made a suggestion on another thread about how to pull off what you guys want with somewhat minimal changes to BN. Please go take a look at the discussion - it happened on the "Reviews..." thread.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...=1#post3023536

Have we all read Judith's posts # 9 & 12 on this thread?

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Have we all read Judith's posts # 9 & 12 on this thread?
    Yes, and with all due respect it only increases the apparent need for further improvement suggestions and discussion. The Parfumo folks have just as few admin people as BN (and it would not surprise me if they too have "day jobs" as well). As Parfumo (through Red's recommendation) has identified and implemented a fragrance addition and correction system that works with their similar limited administrative resources, studying what they have done seems like a pretty good idea, IMO. If the system can be improved upon further by folks here, even better.
    Current Top Favorites:

8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)