Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Most Satisfying Fragrance

Chergui

This is the only fragrance where i feel compelled to sniff my wrist. I do that throughout the day.

Basenotes Plus

Hermes Bel Ami.

Not necessarily the "best" fragrance I own, but somehow it is extremely satisfying on so many levels, every single time I wear it. And like bard above, I keep sniffing my arms and wrists all day long when wearing it. It's deeply comforting, alluring, sexy, evocative... I keep salivating like Pavlov's dog every time I get a whiff.
    Currently wearing: Odoon by Pekji

Blog Entries

For me it's Robert Piguet's VISA & Frederick Malle Une Rose: these two come to mind instantly.
    We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men. ~Herman Melville

Basenotes Plus

L'Heure Bleue. I have worn it for thirty years and it never ceases to amaze me, cheer me up, comfort me. It has longevity, sillage, development, and makes me feel beautiful. I love other scents but LHB is the one I must have and must wear. I am fortunate to have enough vintage to last until I die but even the current formulation isn't awful.

Dependent

Chanel Coromandel and Atelier Gold Leather for me. Two long-lasting, slightly gourmand, complex scents.

They both seem to express sophistication, sensuality and an artistic bent all at the same time. So, they push the big buttons for me.

Neither actually make my top 5 list when I consider a lot of practical factors. But in spite of that, these are the ones I most look forward to wearing the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Bond no 9's Manhattan.
    The opening takes me back to my childhood years, when I used to live in Kyoto, Japan. This fragrance evokes zen-like calmness within me. When I wear this, I get this sense that "all is well".

Dependent

Lumiere noire pour homme. It's so comforting. Its a fragrance that I never regret putting on as it is excellent for every occasion
    Currently wearing: Santal Impérial by Creed

I love reading all of your answers, particularly the 'why'. Keep them coming.

Blog Entries

My most satisfying fragrance is the one that was (*cough*) "unexpected". Yes - the tagline that I cynically mocked when I didn't like or understand it. There was certainly some justice in the fact that I fell for a fragrance that I made fun of.

Bleu de Chanel disturbed me, like an idea that seems true on its face, but enigmatic in its explanation. I couldn't smell parts of it. It seemed pointless - diffuse - meaningless. But such attributes can also be understood as virtues, once you have a handle on why they are that way - when they are things like mystical - ephemeral - non-obvious. Eventually, it began tantalizing me - and satisfying me, by giving up a little at a time. To the point where I am comfortable with the occasional whiffs of greatness that come from it every now and then, and which leave me patiently waiting for the next.

I am STILL unable to fully see beyond the veils of Bleu de Chanel. It's like a night that never ends - something new around every corner. I've grown to love that. To accept that I'll never understand it completely. But to enjoy what I can. To let part of it always be a mystery to me.

It has to be l'heure bleue for me as well. It's just simply perfect. It's unique, pretty, versatile - I wear it when I'm going out and want a comforting and uplifting scent with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, though I am on a rose kick, the most satisfying perfume is one with lots of rooty orris. So Iris Paddilla by l'Artisan is it for me. It's calming and natural, so it makes me feel sublime, and it even makes me nod like a high.

MFK Cashmere Mood: the heavy oud blast in the opening appeals to, and communicates with, my animal side - in a sort of 'stroking the mane of a lion' way. I find it to be a reassuring scent, "everything's OK".

Armani Prive Royal Oud: it's smoothness makes me feel calm and puts my soul at ease, sort of like taking a deep breath on a winters' night whilst looking at the stars.

You get the gist

For me, TF Oud Wood makes me think, "OMG, this is perfection" when wearing it. It's JUST strange enough to be interesting, it's delicious without being too sweet or cloying. There are no notes in it that I don't like (a rarity). It has a sterile rubbery warmth that is just so comforting to me.

My most satisfying fragrances are Derby and M.

They remind me of smell of old clothes in my father´s wardrobe.

The last two weeks, Jo Malone Saffron has been filling this roll for me.

For me, Bois Farine and Bois d'Armenie.

There is one fragrance that I find myself always coming back to. It's the one fragrance I would gladly sacrifice all of my other fragrances to have. But it is long discontinued. It doesn't have a very popular following, not nearly like YSL M7, Gucci Nobile, or Gucci Envy. But there's enough interest to keep the dwindling supply at lofty prices, because some people feel the same way about it as I do. I won't mention it because every time you talk about a discontinued fragrance, there's going to be several people new to learning about it who could possibly become future bidding competition.

That aside... I did mention Amouage Epic Man earlier, because I'd just gotten it. I still find it very satisfying. But I would also have to include Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. There's just something about it that makes me feel so good when I smell it rising up from my neck.

Fragrances which are rich, smooth, refined and complex with quality ingredients in extrait strength, such as Puredistance M or Invasion Barbare.

queen of the universe

What is satisfying? A fragrance so intoxicating I inhale deeply and resist exhaling. Exactly which fragrance varies, tho said fragrance will be my go to for two or three months. Most recently, the astringent cheeriness of Amarige has been it for me. Previous go-tos have been vintage Weil Antilope for that "lotiony" dry down I so crave, and SL Sarrasins just for being so lush. Shalimar is a perennial. Mollie Parnis, my signature, gets heavy rotation, too. I can't choose one.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    won't mention it because every time you talk about a discontinued fragrance, there's going to be several people new to learning about it who could possibly become future bidding competition.
    J
    Oh, I understand completely! :-)

This fall I met my HG -- luckily for me, not a vintage fragrance -- Chanel 31 Rue Cambon -- but I couldn't begin to tell you what it is that I love about it. A soul mate can't be reduced to a laundry-list, after all. Suffice to say, I'll sometimes wear it all week, or every other day, in spite of the many other delicious, beloved fragrances in my cabinet.

It... Completes. Me. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I won't mention it because every time you talk about a discontinued fragrance, there's going to be several people new to learning about it who could possibly become future bidding competition.
    I may have had this thought a time or two.

There ought to be secret elf factories, busily churning out re-concoctions of prized vintages for our delight. Surely there are.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Oh, I understand completely! :-)

This fall I met my HG -- luckily for me, not a vintage fragrance -- Chanel 31 Rue Cambon -- but I couldn't begin to tell you what it is that I love about it. A soul mate can't be reduced to a laundry-list, after all. Suffice to say, I'll sometimes wear it all week, or every other day, in spite of the many other delicious, beloved fragrances in my cabinet.

It... Completes. Me. :-)
    You're very lucky to find something like that. I'm not yet at the point where I'd say a fragrance absolutely completes me, because my tastes are rather broad. That's why I don't have an absolute "signature" as yet. I do think I'll eventually end up with 4 signatures: warm days, cool days, daytime, evening.

I've never smelled Chanel 31. Will have to make a point of it next time I'm @ Chanel.