Code of Conduct

Default Most Satisfying Fragrance

I was just thinking about fragrance and how there are so many that I enjoy. Each has different characteristics and is enjoyed for a different reason. Today, I'd like to post the following question: Which fragrance do you find to be the most satisfying to wear?

I'm not asking for your favorite scent necessarily, though it might also be that. But which fragrance leaves you feeling that you got all you were expecting? I expect the criteria for what is satisfying will be different from one person to the next. For example, one person may feel most satisfied with excellent longevity. Another might feel most satisfied when all their desires for particular notes are met.

Share your most satisfying fragrance with us and feel free to tell us why you find it so.

Default Re: Most Satisfying Frageance

My most satisfying fragrance to wear is Clive Christian No 1 Pure Parfum Limited because on an emotional level, it always reminds me of my son who gave it to me as a gift for a special occasion and evokes fond memories of the wonderful times we were able to share together. On an olfactory level it is satisfying because it is so smooth, smells wonderful, and seemingly lasts forever on my skin with a few drops This is the only fragrance I own that I always regret having to wash it off my skin.

(1751)
    Last edited by hednic; 18th December 2013 at 05:23 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My most satisfying fragrance is Coromandel. I wear it only occasionally and each time I do I wonder why I don't wear it more. It just feels very ME.

There are so many that I find totally satisfying, so I'll just mention one that popped into my mind first.

L'air du Desert Marocain is one I always enjoy. It smells great, I can smell it on myself all day, and I know I smell good. It's pretty much all you can ask of a fragrance.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Wow. So far some really good examples.
    Love me some Green Irish Tweed though...makes me feel like a million bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

I would say, right now, my most satisfying fragrance to wear is Sova by Slumberhouse. I know I talk a lot about the house around here. I sometimes fear people just take me for a fanboy and don't listen to what I have to say or take me seriously, but when I wear Sova, none of that matters. It takes me to scent memories I really cherish, and reminds me that my friends do actually care about me even if they never call me or text me or try and get in contact with me during the school year. It was the first heavy scent that made me realize how amazing perfumery could be, and in a way facilitated my interest in fragrances.

Now, I cherish every moment it gives me. Each time I wear it I debate going without a shower the next day so that I can keep experiencing it, as it always gets better as it sits on the skin (it really is magical like that), and sometimes it decides I'm worthy and sticks around even after a shower. Wearing Sova is almost like a symbiotic relationship between man and perfume. I use it to smell good and remember happy times, and it uses me and my skin as its easel to paint wafts of scent magic. In that way, Sova is almost a living thing. It develops and changes, it experiences things with me and somehow suits those occasions. It is so satisfying, and I just love Sova.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 18th December 2013 at 12:43 PM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Lately I like them ethereal and evanescent. Chanel Eau de Cologne works.

A few others:

Egoiste (vintage)
    Zino Davidoff (vintage)
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Songe d'un Bois d'Ete
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)
    Yohji Homme (vintage)
    Santal de Mysore (Lutens)
    A*Men
    Memoir Man
    Jeke - Probably helps that I live in Portland and feel the need to give that line some love :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 5th January 2014 at 12:24 AM.

For me, these never seem to fall short on any front:

YSL M7
    Knize Ten
    Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Dior Homme Intense. Need I say more?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Most Satisfying Fragrance

TF Amber Absolute- gorgeous smell..Lasts a week on t-shirts..
    Maybe during income tax time I will splurge for some more!!!
    Makes me feel like a million bucks

by Kilian Incense Oud.

Creed Aventus...instant mood booster for me. Just flat out manly. Forget the pineapple note, the birch note is the star in my book.
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Aventus, takes me to a care free environment, transports me to place where everybody knew my name besides other things... ..ooh olfactory travels are great to enjoy.......God bless you all.....

honorable mentions of those other ones in my rotation that blow me away and just pull me into an Atmosphere of satisfaction are Royal oud, DHI(DH) and lately Tauer's LDDM...
    Last edited by magnus611; 18th December 2013 at 06:43 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My most satisfying fragrance to wear is Clive Christian No 1 Pure Parfum Limited because on an emotional level, it always reminds me of my son who gave it to me as a gift for a special occasion and evokes fond memories of the wonderful times we were able to share together. On an olfactory level it is satisfying because it is so smooth, smells wonderful, and seemingly lasts forever on my skin with a few drops This is the only fragrance I own that I always regret having to wash it off my skin.

(1751)
    Love reading the occasions when you wax eloquent Hednic!

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I would say, right now, my most satisfying fragrance to wear is Sova by Slumberhouse. I know I talk a lot about the house around here. I sometimes fear people just take me for a fanboy and don't listen to what I have to say or take me seriously, but when I wear Sova, none of that matters. It takes me to scent memories I really cherish, and reminds me that my friends do actually care about me even if they never call me or text me or try and get in contact with me during the school year. It was the first heavy scent that made me realize how amazing perfumery could be, and in a way facilitated my interest in fragrances.

Now, I cherish every moment it gives me. Each time I wear it I debate going without a shower the next day so that I can keep experiencing it, as it always gets better as it sits on the skin (it really is magical like that), and sometimes it decides I'm worthy and sticks around even after a shower. Wearing Sova is almost like a symbiotic relationship between man and perfume. I use it to smell good and remember happy times, and it uses me and my skin as its easel to paint wafts of scent magic. In that way, Sova is almost a living thing. It develops and changes, it experiences things with me and somehow suits those occasions. It is so satisfying, and I just love Sova.
    You make this sound truly wonderful. I'm so glad you've found one that speaks to you this way.

I don't know that I've been doing this long enough to answer my own question, but I'm sure reading all of your answers will be helpful. The one that comes to mind off the top of my head is Amouage Ubar, which feels so amazingly comfortable and puts an immovable smile on my lips.

I think these things vary over time; at the moment for me it is Bal a Versailles. Each time I wear it, I enjoy the experience. And each time I wear it I wonder why I don't wear it more often.

Two for me. The first right now is Epic Man, maybe because I'm wearing it. When I first put it on, it's so strong and enlivening I'm instantly happy and in love. But that's not why I am listing it. It's hours and hours later having smelled the oud incense and pepper, Epic returns to show a sweeter side and becomes downright delicious. I didn't notice that for the first four times I wore it, now I have an even greater appreciation for its creation.

The other is Slumberhouse Jeke. The cherry tobacco, the sweetness that isn't too overt, the warmth of the burning campfire, it's so many things. Reminds me of the old men at the smoke shop that I walked by as a kid wanting to be among them and in on whatever secrets they shared. And the booziness that I only recently discovered by going from the sample to the actual bottle! Wow. And on top of the images it conjures, I feel manly and sexy throughout wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    ...Sova is almost a living thing...
    Great post, OctaVariuM, and I agree with you about Sova!

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post

YSL M7
    Knize Ten
    These are all very worthy choices (I haven't had the Trumper Sandalwood but given the context, I'll take your word for it)!

I don't "do" superlatives, my tastes change a lot and things depend on my mood.

That said, at the moment, Slumberhouse Jeke and Le Labo Poivre 23 are both very satisfying to me from beginning to end, and when I'm not wearing them, I look forward to wearing them.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post

That said, at the moment, Slumberhouse Jeke and Le Labo Poivre 23 are both very satisfying to me from beginning to end, and when I'm not wearing them, I look forward to wearing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rouj View Post

The other is Slumberhouse Jeke. The cherry tobacco, the sweetness that isn't too overt, the warmth of the burning campfire, it's so many things. Reminds me of the old men at the smoke shop that I walked by as a kid wanting to be among them and in on whatever secrets they shared. And the booziness that I only recently discovered by going from the sample to the actual bottle! Wow. And on top of the images it conjures, I feel manly and sexy throughout wearing it.
    This is another one that has really been becoming a new love for me (Jeke). Every time I wear it I love it, and every day I end up not wearing it I want to wear it again soon. It's a very inviting one once you get to know it a little.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

This is a hard question.
    The most satisfying perfume experience is when I wear black oud(although not my favorite)
    It has everything: silage,longevity, uniqueness and above all it is a nice scent

Not one, but almost many from Slumberhouse - Zahd, Vikt, Baque, Norne, Jeke, Rume, Sova - I just can't stop sniffing when I wear these. Runners up will be Amouage, Kilian's and many Guerlain's...

Quote Originally Posted by mercutio View Post
    Wow. So far some really good examples.
    Love me some Green Irish Tweed though...makes me feel like a million bucks.
    +1 for GIT

Basenotes Plus

MFK Cashmere Oud layered with Puredistance Black.

Amouage Epic Man. This is my first new bottle niche purchase and my decision was made after sampling about 30 different fragrances. Yep, I took a tour of lower Manhattan and stopped by 6 different fragrance shops. I put together a list of what interested me, but then when I smelled Epic Man... I was momentarily hypnotized. If I was going to wear only one fragrance, this would be it hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartGallacher View Post

YSL M7
    Knize Ten
    Geo F Trumper Sandalwood
    I agree about M7 and Knize Ten. Those are definitely on my list of most reliably wonderful and wearable fragrances that I own. Others are Dries Van Noten and lately La Fumee Ottoman. Shalimar is always satisfying also.

The Trumper Sandalwood is really lovely. I've been going back and forth with that one for a couple of years now and think it may be time to splash out on a bottle.

I don't think I can answer this question yet. More time has to pass. Right now I'm in love with scent itself and its ability to create impressions and evoke emotion. Today I fell passionately in love with Vikt and feel privileged to have it on. Theoretically it's a man's fragrance, I assume, but something in me feels all carnal woman when I wear it. At the other extreme is Bal ŕ Versailles, perfume heroin. Now that I've found them, I can't imagine being without them.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Right now I'm in love with scent itself and its ability to create impressions and evoke emotion..........Now that I've found them, I can't imagine being without them.
    This really expresses where I am as well Scentfan! Great way to put it!

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Today I fell passionately in love with Vikt and feel privileged to have it on. Theoretically it's a man's fragrance, I assume, but something in me feels all carnal woman when I wear it.
    I would love to smell that on my girlfriend! It's a beautiful scent, and in my opinion very unisex. The only ones I think of Josh's that may not be well suited for a woman are Norne and Jeke and even then it could work. Excellent choice Scentfan!

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I was just thinking about fragrance and how there are so many that I enjoy. Each has different characteristics and is enjoyed for a different reason. Today, I'd like to post the following question: Which fragrance do you find to be the most satisfying to wear?

I'm not asking for your favorite scent necessarily, though it might also be that. But which fragrance leaves you feeling that you got all you were expecting? I expect the criteria for what is satisfying will be different from one person to the next. For example, one person may feel most satisfied with excellent longevity. Another might feel most satisfied when all their desires for particular notes are met.

Share your most satisfying fragrance with us and feel free to tell us why you find it so.
    This is an interesting question and not at all weird. I get a real feeling of satisfaction from some of my scents - I have generally found that sandalwood is the note behind that good feeling of satisfaction according to my tastes.

Some of my most satisfying therefore in no particular order:
    - GIT
    - Santal Noble
    - Sycomore

Chypre Palatin, for lovely evolution, and that was just from a sample.

Tabac Blond a transformative fragrance.
    SMN P'Eau D'Espagne and Pot Pourri both of which waft their medicinal resinous breeze around me all day.
    Onda, for it's wonderful oddness and rich classicism at the same time.
    Iris 39 cool and urbane and goes on and on.

And, like pluran I like a blast of Cologne. Really, a traditional Eau de Cologne is one of the most satisying fragrance experiences. Either Acqua di Sicilia, Acqua di Genova, or more recently Alvarez Gomez does it for me every time.

Knize 10
    31 Rue Cambon
    Ambre Sultan
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Chergui

This is the only fragrance where i feel compelled to sniff my wrist. I do that throughout the day.

Basenotes Plus

Hermes Bel Ami.

Not necessarily the "best" fragrance I own, but somehow it is extremely satisfying on so many levels, every single time I wear it. And like bard above, I keep sniffing my arms and wrists all day long when wearing it. It's deeply comforting, alluring, sexy, evocative... I keep salivating like Pavlov's dog every time I get a whiff.

Basenotes Plus

For me it's Robert Piguet's VISA & Frederick Malle Une Rose: these two come to mind instantly.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

L'Heure Bleue. I have worn it for thirty years and it never ceases to amaze me, cheer me up, comfort me. It has longevity, sillage, development, and makes me feel beautiful. I love other scents but LHB is the one I must have and must wear. I am fortunate to have enough vintage to last until I die but even the current formulation isn't awful.

Chanel Coromandel and Atelier Gold Leather for me. Two long-lasting, slightly gourmand, complex scents.

They both seem to express sophistication, sensuality and an artistic bent all at the same time. So, they push the big buttons for me.

Neither actually make my top 5 list when I consider a lot of practical factors. But in spite of that, these are the ones I most look forward to wearing the next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Bond no 9's Manhattan.
    The opening takes me back to my childhood years, when I used to live in Kyoto, Japan. This fragrance evokes zen-like calmness within me. When I wear this, I get this sense that "all is well".

Basenotes Plus

Lumiere noire pour homme. It's so comforting. Its a fragrance that I never regret putting on as it is excellent for every occasion

I love reading all of your answers, particularly the 'why'. Keep them coming.

Blog Entries

My most satisfying fragrance is the one that was (*cough*) "unexpected". Yes - the tagline that I cynically mocked when I didn't like or understand it. There was certainly some justice in the fact that I fell for a fragrance that I made fun of.

Bleu de Chanel disturbed me, like an idea that seems true on its face, but enigmatic in its explanation. I couldn't smell parts of it. It seemed pointless - diffuse - meaningless. But such attributes can also be understood as virtues, once you have a handle on why they are that way - when they are things like mystical - ephemeral - non-obvious. Eventually, it began tantalizing me - and satisfying me, by giving up a little at a time. To the point where I am comfortable with the occasional whiffs of greatness that come from it every now and then, and which leave me patiently waiting for the next.

I am STILL unable to fully see beyond the veils of Bleu de Chanel. It's like a night that never ends - something new around every corner. I've grown to love that. To accept that I'll never understand it completely. But to enjoy what I can. To let part of it always be a mystery to me.

Basenotes Plus

It has to be l'heure bleue for me as well. It's just simply perfect. It's unique, pretty, versatile - I wear it when I'm going out and want a comforting and uplifting scent with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, though I am on a rose kick, the most satisfying perfume is one with lots of rooty orris. So Iris Paddilla by l'Artisan is it for me. It's calming and natural, so it makes me feel sublime, and it even makes me nod like a high.

MFK Cashmere Mood: the heavy oud blast in the opening appeals to, and communicates with, my animal side - in a sort of 'stroking the mane of a lion' way. I find it to be a reassuring scent, "everything's OK".

Armani Prive Royal Oud: it's smoothness makes me feel calm and puts my soul at ease, sort of like taking a deep breath on a winters' night whilst looking at the stars.

You get the gist

For me, TF Oud Wood makes me think, "OMG, this is perfection" when wearing it. It's JUST strange enough to be interesting, it's delicious without being too sweet or cloying. There are no notes in it that I don't like (a rarity). It has a sterile rubbery warmth that is just so comforting to me.

My most satisfying fragrances are Derby and M.

They remind me of smell of old clothes in my father´s wardrobe.

The last two weeks, Jo Malone Saffron has been filling this roll for me.

For me, Bois Farine and Bois d'Armenie.

There is one fragrance that I find myself always coming back to. It's the one fragrance I would gladly sacrifice all of my other fragrances to have. But it is long discontinued. It doesn't have a very popular following, not nearly like YSL M7, Gucci Nobile, or Gucci Envy. But there's enough interest to keep the dwindling supply at lofty prices, because some people feel the same way about it as I do. I won't mention it because every time you talk about a discontinued fragrance, there's going to be several people new to learning about it who could possibly become future bidding competition.

That aside... I did mention Amouage Epic Man earlier, because I'd just gotten it. I still find it very satisfying. But I would also have to include Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree. There's just something about it that makes me feel so good when I smell it rising up from my neck.

Fragrances which are rich, smooth, refined and complex with quality ingredients in extrait strength, such as Puredistance M or Invasion Barbare.

queen of the universe

What is satisfying? A fragrance so intoxicating I inhale deeply and resist exhaling. Exactly which fragrance varies, tho said fragrance will be my go to for two or three months. Most recently, the astringent cheeriness of Amarige has been it for me. Previous go-tos have been vintage Weil Antilope for that "lotiony" dry down I so crave, and SL Sarrasins just for being so lush. Shalimar is a perennial. Mollie Parnis, my signature, gets heavy rotation, too. I can't choose one.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    won't mention it because every time you talk about a discontinued fragrance, there's going to be several people new to learning about it who could possibly become future bidding competition.
    J
    Oh, I understand completely! :-)

This fall I met my HG -- luckily for me, not a vintage fragrance -- Chanel 31 Rue Cambon -- but I couldn't begin to tell you what it is that I love about it. A soul mate can't be reduced to a laundry-list, after all. Suffice to say, I'll sometimes wear it all week, or every other day, in spite of the many other delicious, beloved fragrances in my cabinet.

It... Completes. Me. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I won't mention it because every time you talk about a discontinued fragrance, there's going to be several people new to learning about it who could possibly become future bidding competition.
    I may have had this thought a time or two.

There ought to be secret elf factories, busily churning out re-concoctions of prized vintages for our delight. Surely there are.

Quote Originally Posted by C Rose View Post
    Oh, I understand completely! :-)

This fall I met my HG -- luckily for me, not a vintage fragrance -- Chanel 31 Rue Cambon -- but I couldn't begin to tell you what it is that I love about it. A soul mate can't be reduced to a laundry-list, after all. Suffice to say, I'll sometimes wear it all week, or every other day, in spite of the many other delicious, beloved fragrances in my cabinet.

It... Completes. Me. :-)
    You're very lucky to find something like that. I'm not yet at the point where I'd say a fragrance absolutely completes me, because my tastes are rather broad. That's why I don't have an absolute "signature" as yet. I do think I'll eventually end up with 4 signatures: warm days, cool days, daytime, evening.

I've never smelled Chanel 31. Will have to make a point of it next time I'm @ Chanel.