Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 61 to 94 of 94
  1. #61

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Oops - I think I posted a reply in the wrong place... so sorry! It has been removed.
    Last edited by annamadeit; 21st December 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Mistake - replied to wrong post!

  2. #62

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    See above...
    Last edited by annamadeit; 21st December 2013 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Mistake

  3. #63

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    All great, big, relevant questions, for sure, Gimmegreen. I always think of sustainability (or anything else, for that matter) as rings on the water. Everything we do causes a definite ripple effect. But I'm afraid that as long as the sheer number of humans and their many actions on this earth so dramatically skews the fragile balance that true sustainability requires, no effort is ever going to be perfectly sustainable. I once worked on a Living Building Challenge, which has very strict rules about what is permissible. It was hugely challenging, and although everyone did the best they could, and in the end it was as good as we could get it, it still wasn't perfect. A humbling experience indeed. I think we just all have to highlight and cherish those that are trying, and realize that we can always do better. And most importantly - don't ever stop asking the difficult questions!

  4. #64
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    I am extremely surprised to learn the price of Australian sandalwood is more than the Mysore. That's hard to believe considering the price some charge for the oil. Maybe it's due to the availability. I prefer Australian myself. I have some oil from the nineties and it's Mysore but u think its inferior to Australian of today.

  5. #65

    Default

    Thanks for the great series, Jordan. Interesting to read that the current price for the oil is above that for Indian Mysore oil. I read elsewhere a while ago that the end price is expected to drop when harvesting and production reaches its full potential to around $2700/kg (at around 3.7% yield) - which is still pricey!

  6. #66
    Basenotes Member TXAggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    I have a degree in Chemistry and Supply Chain Management so this series of articles was especially interesting to me. I would very much appreciate similar series on other essential oils. Thanks very much for the insight and history lesson.

  7. #67

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Cason View Post
    I am extremely surprised to learn the price of Australian sandalwood is more than the Mysore. That's hard to believe considering the price some charge for the oil. Maybe it's due to the availability. I prefer Australian myself. I have some oil from the nineties and it's Mysore but u think its inferior to Australian of today.
    Interesting Cason.Only your nose knows what it likes! Into the draw you go.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by TXAggie View Post
    I have a degree in Chemistry and Supply Chain Management so this series of articles was especially interesting to me. I would very much appreciate similar series on other essential oils. Thanks very much for the insight and history lesson.
    TXAggie, thank you for your comment. I learnt a lot myself in the research process for this series. Mentioning Supply Chain and History will place you in the drawl Just! With those qualifications I hope you have a rewarding and fascinating job.
    Last edited by Jordan88888888; 9th January 2014 at 09:46 PM.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Thanks for the great series, Jordan. Interesting to read that the current price for the oil is above that for Indian Mysore oil. I read elsewhere a while ago that the end price is expected to drop when harvesting and production reaches its full potential to around $2700/kg (at around 3.7% yield) - which is still pricey!
    Hello Mark. Yes the market could very well do that or not! You have now been placed into the draw for a valuable and an historic oil.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    The smell of sandalwood is something I don't know if I've truly experienced, so the "what it smells like" section was particularly interesting to me since I see the different areas it's harvested gives off a different smell. So cool! I would love to have a little bottle of this to experience a true sandalwood experience and relate it to fragrances I have smelled.

    I also would love to dabble in fragrance-creation so this would definitely put me over the edge for that.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Over the edge you go Ularewolf and into the hat for the draw. If you win remember that this is an ingredient not a composed perfume. This oil is also young not vintage. Hours of fun ahead for you!

  12. #72

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan88888888 View Post
    Over the edge you go Ularewolf and into the hat for the draw. If you win remember that this is an ingredient not a composed perfume. This oil is also young not vintage. Hours of fun ahead for you!
    Oh indeed. I want to experience the ingredients more. Thanks for this opportunity!

  13. #73
    Basenotes Plus
    juanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,216

    Default

    18% a year?!

    I was amazed to learn that there is a sandalwood- based wart removal product in R&D stages. I wonder what impact in the price inflation of sandalwood this will have if it proves successful.

  14. #74

    Default

    What a fascinating series of articles! Thank you Jordan.

    I had no idea at all that this industry had been in the planning to this extent in Australia since the '90's. It's very amazing when I think of the time, money, and foresight needed to accomplish this. I'm particularly impressed with the way the distillation process uses waste wood from the local timber industry and recycled water.

    It brings me joy that there continues to be such a demand for pure, natural santalum album oil and wood and that its value is still so strongly recognized. I like to imagine that if I were in Purna's place, I would make the same wise investment he did!

    I wish TFS all the best in their endeavors!

  15. #75

    Default

    I'd like to be considered for the draw. Very curious about this oil as I am a sandalwood buff. What I learned that surprised me was the relatively low rate of cost increase per year (in the teens). My experience is that the price has been increasing faster. Maybe this is just retail in my region. I am excited about this project and very curious to smell how young oils like these compare to stuff distilled from older trees. Thanks!

  16. #76

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Fascinating to read the description of how the Australian oil smelled and the possible impact of the Australian terroir on the product. It would be interesting to blind test this to make sure it wasn't due to some kind of expectation bias from knowing what is being sniffed.
    Hopefully it wasn't due to contamination from eucalypts in some way (e.g. small quantities of eucalyptus leaves getting into the harvest is thought to be responsible for a slightly minty quality in some Australian red wines).

  17. #77

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Thank you for a concise and informative history of the Sandalwood industry; especially pleased to read Australia's Santalum Album has been well received. I was surprised to find out the extent to which the plant was harvested (roots included!) and find comfort that forestry sustainability is being employed.
    Happy New Year to all!

  18. #78

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    I was amused by the testers who could smell Australia in the new source of oil. I learned, to my surprise, that the oil improves with time.
    Very interesting series of articles, and thank you for the Giveaway.

  19. #79

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Hi, Just got here, under the drawing wire. Now I need to go back and read everything. Thus far I learned that the Aussie sandalwood was worth more then the Mysore. Thank you.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    18% a year?!

    I was amazed to learn that there is a sandalwood- based wart removal product in R&D stages. I wonder what impact in the price inflation of sandalwood this will have if it proves successful.
    Juanderer The Wanderder? Cool name. Yes the R&D is a massive and rigorous operation. Ha, inflation, I wonder too. Now I will stop wondering and put your good name in the draw. We will draw this soon.
    Last edited by Jordan88888888; 31st December 2013 at 10:22 PM.

  21. #81

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennapa View Post
    Hi, Just got here, under the drawing wire. Now I need to go back and read everything. Thus far I learned that the Aussie sandalwood was worth more then the Mysore. Thank you.
    En pointe Jennapa. Right on time for the draw!

  22. #82

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Kinglsat View Post
    I was amused by the testers who could smell Australia in the new source of oil. I learned, to my surprise, that the oil improves with time.
    Very interesting series of articles, and thank you for the Giveaway.
    Ah, yes. Oud and Musk grains do the same like vintage wine. Popping you in the hat now Kinglsat.

  23. #83

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by DL Johnson View Post
    Thank you for a concise and informative history of the Sandalwood industry; especially pleased to read Australia's Santalum Album has been well received. I was surprised to find out the extent to which the plant was harvested (roots included!) and find comfort that forestry sustainability is being employed.
    Happy New Year to all!
    A Happy New Year upon You DL Johnson. I hope you find comfort with this oil. We will know soon as I have your good name in the hat for the draw.

  24. #84

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Fascinating to read the description of how the Australian oil smelled and the possible impact of the Australian terroir on the product. It would be interesting to blind test this to make sure it wasn't due to some kind of expectation bias from knowing what is being sniffed.
    Hopefully it wasn't due to contamination from eucalypts in some way (e.g. small quantities of eucalyptus leaves getting into the harvest is thought to be responsible for a slightly minty quality in some Australian red wines).
    Those eucalyptus were planted in Issan in North East Thailand and drained the water table before anyone knew what was happening. They have cut them down now; a beautiful tree but only in its native habitat. All the best to you for conducting your own blind test. You are in the draw Darjeeling.

  25. #85

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by Fungusamongus View Post
    I'd like to be considered for the draw. Very curious about this oil as I am a sandalwood buff. What I learned that surprised me was the relatively low rate of cost increase per year (in the teens). My experience is that the price has been increasing faster. Maybe this is just retail in my region. I am excited about this project and very curious to smell how young oils like these compare to stuff distilled from older trees. Thanks!
    Nothing to consider; in the hat you go Fungusamongus. I hope that you can compare this young oil to vintage ones.

  26. #86

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    What a fascinating series of articles! Thank you Jordan.

    I had no idea at all that this industry had been in the planning to this extent in Australia since the '90's. It's very amazing when I think of the time, money, and foresight needed to accomplish this. I'm particularly impressed with the way the distillation process uses waste wood from the local timber industry and recycled water.

    It brings me joy that there continues to be such a demand for pure, natural santalum album oil and wood and that its value is still so strongly recognized. I like to imagine that if I were in Purna's place, I would make the same wise investment he did!

    I wish TFS all the best in their endeavors!
    Aha, a Purna avatar called Arlecchino in this the 21st century. Thank you for your fascination. It was fascinating to research and write up for you. Your good name is in the draw.

  27. #87

    Default

    Oh Drat, was there a deadline that I've missed....? Too bad...

    I've been "watching" the Aussie Sandalwood industry grow, wading through the earlier versions of Sandalwood that had the note I don't like, I call it an "Oily parakeet cage" note.

    While on the exhibition floor last year in Long Beach California for the Cosmetics Chemists suppliers Day, I happened upon an Aussie Sandlewood distiller who said he'd worked at Mt. Romance, been in charge of something, and he knew exactly what note I was talking about, and he called it a "Cat's Piss" note. He promised me some samples of his new and improved Aussie Sandalwood, But I have yet to hear from him...

    I use the Aussie Sandalwood in some of my perfumes, where I can mask that oily parakeet cage note aspect.

    I know that I'm spoiled, but after being in Mysore in the late '80's, and enjoying the old mysore grades, and now I've acquired some 1930 Mysore sandalwood oil, I still have to give a nod to old mysore sandalwood. But I am waiting very patiently for the rise of the Aussie Star of Sandalwoods... :-) Hoping it improves every year...

    PK

  28. #88

    Default

    I had no idea that they use santalum alba roots to make oil. plus many other things. I'm glad to participate

  29. #89

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    And the Sandalwood Oil Gift Recipients have been announced...
    Happy New Everything to you all for 2014 and Beyond.

  30. #90

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Oh Drat, was there a deadline that I've missed....? Too bad...

    I've been "watching" the Aussie Sandalwood industry grow, wading through the earlier versions of Sandalwood that had the note I don't like, I call it an "Oily parakeet cage" note.

    While on the exhibition floor last year in Long Beach California for the Cosmetics Chemists suppliers Day, I happened upon an Aussie Sandlewood distiller who said he'd worked at Mt. Romance, been in charge of something, and he knew exactly what note I was talking about, and he called it a "Cat's Piss" note. He promised me some samples of his new and improved Aussie Sandalwood, But I have yet to hear from him...

    I use the Aussie Sandalwood in some of my perfumes, where I can mask that oily parakeet cage note aspect.

    I know that I'm spoiled, but after being in Mysore in the late '80's, and enjoying the old mysore grades, and now I've acquired some 1930 Mysore sandalwood oil, I still have to give a nod to old mysore sandalwood. But I am waiting very patiently for the rise of the Aussie Star of Sandalwoods... :-) Hoping it improves every year...

    PK
    That is a great note description Pkiler. I have a smelt it too and called it a urinous note. This is not always a bad thing in perfumery which as you state can be masked. Sometimes it is a fleeting note. Very cool to have some vintage. I hope you can enjoy comparing your treasures to the new oil. No draw for you but the contact details are at the end of the post if that interests you. And a Happy New Year to you and your perfumes.
    Last edited by Jordan88888888; 3rd January 2014 at 05:43 PM.

  31. #91

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Quote Originally Posted by elve View Post
    I had no idea that they use santalum alba roots to make oil. plus many other things. I'm glad to participate
    An elf! Hello Elve, you just missed the draw. The root oil was news to me too. All I can do now is wish you a Happy 2014 and hope you do not miss any other treats this year!

  32. #92

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets + Sandalwood Oil Giveaway

    Man I love the new basenotes --- I hope I win...one thing I learned is that over the past 15 years the price has increased on a compound basis by 16 % per annum.
    Thanks for the opportunity and great article series. I love you guys!
    Oh well I missed the draw too -- congrats to the winners. Gotta pay more attention dammit lol.
    Last edited by surge; 3rd January 2014 at 08:35 PM.

  33. #93

    Default

    The results of the draw have been announced here
    http://www.basenotes.net/content/191...ift-Recipients
    Last edited by lpp; 3rd January 2014 at 08:29 PM.

  34. #94

    Default Re: Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Interesting that different batches of oils are blended together for a more consistent odour profile. I thought they'd just blend everything together. Does this mean that some amount of oil is left behind?

    Also, I wonder if any of the Australian Santalum Album trees will be allowed to reach their full maturity before being harvested? Maybe this way they could offer a superior grade of oil in addition to the regular one (assuming an older tree would give a superior oil - maybe not?).
    Hello again Renegade,

    Santalum album or in this case Australian album oil is very stable - eg. its composition does not vary significantly from batch to batch however as a natural product, some variation does occur. The blending allows TFS to match a customers' previous order as closely as possible. The blending also achieves a more consistent product like champagne etc. If an oil was "out of whack' then it would be blended up or down for consistency.

Similar Threads

  1. Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 7: What does it smell like?
    By Jordan River in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 3rd January 2014, 03:11 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19th December 2013, 09:07 PM
  3. Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 6: Distillation
    By Jordan River in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th December 2013, 03:43 PM
  4. Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 2: The Perfumed Chamber
    By Jordan River in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th December 2013, 05:31 PM
  5. Article: Sandalwood Dreams, Part 1: Myths and Legends
    By Jordan River in forum Article Comments
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10th December 2013, 11:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000