Code of Conduct

Smile Too Many Bottles

Hi everyone,

I just feel comfortable saying right off the bat, i am pretty quiet most of the time but i check BN everyday ust to see what is going on, what is new and good, etc... All the things that draw you here for different or maybe the same as many of you nice people. I just wanted to ask you guys and gals how many is enough, my wardrobe is around 100 deep bc i have a bunch of doubles.

The issue i wanted to ask everyone about is it is really hard to stop buying and have the "perfect wardrobe" which, at least for me i know is impossible, it is just hard bc it seems like today there are so many new fragrances coming out and not just celebrity scents but a lot of $$$$ niche scents too, does anyone else feel like they can not keep up? I try and order samples to try to keep up but it seems new niches come out so often, i can't keep up. thanks you everyone, in advance, for your feedback and thoughts.

BTW, If i don't try the new stuff, ie, all of the new Aouds, i remember when there were very few Aouds and now they are in everything.
    Last edited by "Scentapede"; 18th December 2013 at 04:32 PM.

Default Re: Too Many Bottles

As long as you enjoy them, and it doesn't interfere with your other financial duties.....Rock on! There is a lot worse you can be addicted to.

Personally, I never tried to keep up,
    In 2011 there were over1000 new launches, how can I keep up!
    What I do is smell old stuff, buy old stuff with the exception
    of occasional new releases purchases

Just a while ago I formed the intention of building a max 50-bottle collection. Since I knew zip, I decided to systematically sniff houses and genres to simultaneously learn and discover the best. Each great scent only increased my urge to find another one. Not counting minis and samples, I'm somewhere in the 40's. I know I'll reach 100. Hope I can stop then, but if it stays this pleasurable, who knows? Next thing is to set up a rotation so I can enjoy them all.

My intention is to have 10 frags that I adore and consider master pieces...the rest I sell , give away and just sample here and there , while enjoying this journey and taking deep breath here and there to master self control cause if not my Amex black card would be up the roof ...."Practice self control Daniel Son...wax on and wax off" (Karate kid quote)
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Ditto. I have a new scent trial rotation going on around my top rotation. In keeping it to just 10 favorites , I will make cuts and additions to my list of top scents accordingly. All told about 30 scents in both rotations. Ones that are neither on the contenders nor favorites lists will be found a good home or given away as gifts to family and friends. The reality is such that in the past there were some scents that gathered dust and no interest whatsoever in revisiting them.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have only tried maybe 5 of the 2013 releases..
    Impossible..
    I have been buying more samples/decants..
    I don't feel I need anymore FB's

Interesting, as I no longer deem fragrances in decants /samples form as candidates for my top collection. If I like it enough I will hunt down the full bottle size at any cost.
    Chic is all about humor. Which means chic is about intelligence. And there has to be oddness-- most luxury is conformist, and chic cannot be. Chic must be polite and not incommode others, but within that it can be as weird as it wants.” - LT

There's no ceiling I have set for myself yet. Perhaps the magic number will be 2,000. Perhaps not. I gave up setting limits for myself years ago. There always seems to be something new I want to add to my collection. I'll just go with the flow until my enjoyment with fragrances ends.
    (1772)
    Last edited by hednic; 18th December 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

My limit is 30...I try to get rid of some when I get close to that number by selling/swapping. I have 4 right now that need to go. I don't try to keep up with anything...it's fruitless. You'll go broke and never wear it all. Unless you're super wealthy, try to set some limits.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My limit is 30...I try to get rid of some when I get close to that number by selling/swapping. I have 4 right now that need to go. I don't try to keep up with anything...it's fruitless. You'll go broke and never wear it all. Unless you're super wealthy, try to set some limits.
    I don't know if it's that useful to sell bottles you payed full price for… Isn't this just a method to keep buying without feeling guilty?

I've mostly managed to stick to prices that I'm happy to pay for a perfume, so most of my bottles aren't that expensive. If I tire of something I sell it which seems to work ok so far. My shopping has slowed down very much as a lot of the niche/new perfumes cost more than I'm willing to pay for smelly water.

I've mostly managed to stick to prices that I'm happy to pay for a perfume, so most of my bottles aren't that expensive. If I tire of something I sell it which seems to work ok so far. My shopping has slowed down very much as a lot of the niche/new perfumes cost more than I'm willing to pay for smelly water. I'm happy to enjoy what I own instead of letting them molest my wallet.

Up to 19 now, I have this notion that I'll wear them all a bunch over the next year and widdle them down to 10 or 12.
    Im not a real fragrance hound, I like to smell nice and mix it up.
    It all about figuring out exactly what I like and what my girlfriend likes.
    I likely wont be sticking my neck out on another full bottle going forward.
    I think my last purchase for the year will be Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée after I pitch a couple of rejects. (Clinique Happy for Men & 125 Years)

I am trying to cut back - a little. I am trying to cut down on my blind buying (but actually have a bottle of on it's way that I blind bought). I am also cutting back on samples. The last 2 years I bought samples of EVERYTHING I could get my hands on. Now, I have already tried or own a lot of it, and the new stuff I don't order a sample as soon as it's available. I can wait and get it in due time now.

Ideally, I would like to only buy 1 or 2 bottles / month for 2014. I have some really nice fragrances that sit for 4-6 months between wearings and some kinda nice ones that I haven't worn yet this year. So, I do want to slow the growth of my collection, but there are still about 20 things on my list that I know I want to buy this year. But yes, it is very hard to set a limit. When I first started 2 years ago, my limit was 15. Then 30. Then 50... Then 100... Just kept growing. But too many good ones getting neglected, so I need to cut down on the samples so I can focus on the bottles that I have.

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I don't know if it's that useful to sell bottles you payed full price for… Isn't this just a method to keep buying without feeling guilty?
    I guess you could say that. But what good is it to just keep accumulating bottles that you don't use? At least I can raise extra cash to buy the other ones I'm going to buy anyway. You can really spin it anyway you like, but it works for me and my lifestyle.

Like you I have just north of 100 bottles and feel like there are still a bunch I need to try and get my nose on. I just don't think that there is any way to truly "catch up" has it seems like every year we see more and more releases....honestly it's starting to go from fun, to "wow, what am I going to do with a couple lifetimes worth of cologne already?!" I've already vowed to start my 2014 New Years resolution and start selling/trading some before I just keep buying away.

Based of the Now Smell This estimate that a 50ml bottle used daily lasts about a year... the only sensible upper limit is whether you'll finish all the bottles you have before you snuff it.

I know I won't. A quick tally tells me I've got enough already to last over 60 years (!)

But I still want more... I'm a lost cause, clearly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Based of the Now Smell This estimate that a 50ml bottle used daily lasts about a year... the only sensible upper limit is whether you'll finish all the bottles you have before you snuff it.

I know I won't. A quick tally tells me I've got enough already to last over 60 years (!)

But I still want more... I'm a lost cause, clearly.

I've always wondered about this, thanks for the info!!!

About one-month before starting my Basenotes account I had given away over 35 full-bottles of good cologne. Cartiers, Hermes, Chanel, Dior, and many others. Currently as of December 18th, 2013, I have 10-Creed's, 2-Tom Ford Private Blend Collections, and 3-Hermes.

I am very much content with what I own. Also, I'm certain there won't be anyone within a 7-mile radius of me with10-bottles of Creed. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't mind owning a bottle of L'Artisan "Batucada", but my thoughts are toggling with the notion of "What's the point?".

With all that extra money being spent on colognes just to smell nice having a few ounces of gold & silver isn't a bad idea either.

Quote Originally Posted by FreshSmell View Post
    ...With all that extra money being spent on colognes just to smell nice having a few ounces of gold & silver isn't a bad idea either.
    Well, yes. That, too.

I know how you feel. I have a set limit of no more than 15 at any one time... Keeps me in check.

I have the perfect wardrobe - some of which is listed in my wardrobe function - and I have several scores of options for every conceivable occasion. And I just now limit myself to buying bargains for my amusement.
    Regards,
    Renato

When I read all this I think I have to do something else in the future and stop visiting this site each day. I have about 70 FB now. Should this come to an end?

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Scentapede" View Post

..The issue i wanted to ask everyone about is it is really hard to stop buying and have the "perfect wardrobe",,
    The journey is the destination. For many it is the hunt itself, and all that comes from the hunt, that is behind it all.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

The more I sample, more I am happy with what I currently have. New releases rarely catch my attention and even when I am sometimes excited about some scents after few sampling it rarely ends on my wishlist because it would be "just another scent to wear once per month" and thats not enough to justify the cost.

To answer your question... its not hard to stop buying... its hard to find difference between wants and needs and between scent that you love and scent that you like. Life is too short to buy just "likes"...
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

I know the feeling. I wanted to stop around 50, then I hit 100, then I really wanted to stop, then I hit 150.. and still purchasing stuff I like. I think it's a never-ending cycle, unless they stop making fragrances.. I'm gonna keep buying them.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post
    Based of the Now Smell This estimate that a 50ml bottle used daily lasts about a year... ]
    Typically average sprayers put out 10 to 12 sprays for each millilitre.
    So a 50ml bottle has 500 to 600 sprays in it.

Given that there are 365 or 366 days in a year, "Now Smell This" must assume the average chap puts on around one and a half sprays or less per day.

Perhaps they should rename themselves as "Now Don't Smell This On Me".
    Regards,
    Renato

Quantity & it's value are purely subjective.

for swap/sale:

If it wasn't for this forum (and the internet, in general), most people would be happy wearing one or two fragrances.

Like they used to.

When they had better things to spend their money on.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Quantity & it's value are purely subjective.
    THIS. 100000% this. Sadly, I suspect the comment will be over the heads of many. And that's a shame.

You are not me and I am not you. What may be too much for me might be nothing at all to you, or vice versa. Which one of us is wrong? Answer: NEITHER. As Hedonist said, "Quantity & it's value are purely subjective."

Only you can decide what's right for you.

Hedonist speaks the truth.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

My tendency is to selectively respond/react to/act on certain momentary or more long-term fragrance likings and start, continue, pursue, deepen, diversify etc. my fragrance purchases according to them, even though I also keep "the big picture" of a more or less ideal fragrance wardrobe somewhere in my mind while doing this. So, rather than a pressure, it's far more a double/diverse source of enjoyment- on one hand, aspiring to to that so elusive perfect collection (or anything close to it), on the other hand, the journey towards it can be equally fun and challenging.

Basenotes Plus

It's complicated. I just said I was going to slow down, but my curiosity is too high. But I mainly buy decants and inexpensive bottles. I feel sorry for my neglected bottles and try to rotate them in. I also get a different perspective on my owned bottles as I try new stuff. I have 20 and can' see going over 30.

Quote Originally Posted by joe mcclaine View Post
    If it wasn't for this forum (and the internet, in general), most people would be happy wearing one or two fragrances.

Like they used to.

When they had better things to spend their money on.
    Good you said most. Because before I even knew basenotes existed I had a ton of perfumes. I had more before than I do currently!

1 Millilitre equals 10-12 sprays??????
    I highly doubt that....

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Typically average sprayers put out 10 to 12 sprays for each millilitre.
    So a 50ml bottle has 500 to 600 sprays in it.

Given that there are 365 or 366 days in a year, "Now Smell This" must assume the average chap puts on around one and a half sprays or less per day.

Perhaps they should rename themselves as "Now Don't Smell This On Me".
    Regards,
    Renato
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Back up bottles make good Christmas presents when your running low on cash

Quote Originally Posted by thehighend View Post
    I know how you feel. I have a set limit of no more than 15 at any one time... Keeps me in check.
    I set the same limit for myself two weeks ago.

Yesterday, I crossed that limit. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Snaggy1 View Post
    I highly doubt that....
    You can doubt it, or you can disprove it.

Get a calibrated pipette as I did, and count the sprays into it till you reach the one millilitre mark.

From memory results were 8-10 sprays per ml for Creeds and old Boss bottles.
    12- 15 sprays per ml for many 30ml bottles.
    10-12 sprays for typical 100ml bottles.
    Regards,
    Renato

I thought I'd be done at 30 bottles. Now I've gotten to the point where I'll possibly buy a decant of something. I'm a big fan of having the bottles, but ultimately all I care about is the juice, and I realized that after 125+ bottles, some decants would be fine....I don't think I'd wear full bottles anyway. As others have stated, a lot of the juice I already have will probably go bad before I get to all of it.

I highly doubt that....
    I've decanted well over 200ml.

1ml is 9-11 sprays.

for swap/sale:

1ml is 9-11 sprays.
    So , you are telling me that my little 5ml samples are good for +/-45-50 sprays?????
    I don't think so...

So , you are telling me that my little 5ml samples are good for +/-45-50 sprays?????
    I don't think so...
    Well, it easy for you to disprove us.
    Get a full 50ml bottle of scent.
    Start spraying it till you empty it, and count the sprays while you do so.
    Divide that total count figure by 10.

Then you will know how many sprays you get from a 5ml sample, rather than thinking that you know.

You seem to forget that many of us have gotten sore fingers spraying numerous 1ml and 1.4ml sample vials.
    Cheers,
    Renato

1ml is 9-11 sprays.
    I don't think so...
    I don't know if you're acting stupid or you really are stupid because you're asking the same question over and over again and expecting a different reply?

for swap/sale:

I don't think so...
    Yes, at a minimum. Probably more bc the sample sprayers spray even less than normal bottles. Why are you in such disbelief about these numbers? I always thought it was a widely known fact that a ml is ~10 sprays from a normal sprayer.

I have +- 100 perfume. I beginning to suspect I shop to get over stress. Luckily for me, my son get to use what's left of it. Hmmmm maybe my grandson can use them too lol.

I don't know if you're acting stupid or you really are stupid because you're asking the same question over and over again and expecting a different reply?
    Just making sure that I read your stupidy well...
    Fill up a 5ml decant with water, put the spraying top on it and spray... You will get +/- 24 sprays out of the decant and not 50, like you said.
    Kinda think you are the stupid one here...

Basenotes Plus

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Back to the topic....for me, with my current financial status, I want to stay under 50 bottles(yeah, right). That means getting rid of my bad semi-blind buys, and keeping/buying only what I consider amazing.

I just want to keep what I really, really like, and dump stuff that I never wear, to keep the bottle numbers low. That being said, I am currently investigating many new(new for me) niche houses...

Basenotes Plus

Thank you, thank you guys for this thread.

I am going over to see my family for X-mas lunch soon. And I am going to "consolidate" (2 nephews in college, and a brother-in-law).

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    There's no ceiling I have set for myself yet. Perhaps the magic number will be 2,000. Perhaps not. I gave up setting limits for myself years ago. There always seems to be something new I want to add to my collection. I'll just go with the flow until my enjoyment with fragrances ends.
    (1772)
    Thats an understatement lol. I also don't have any ceiling , but I will go through periods where I buy fragrances then I just stop for a few months. I don't forsee myself buying a fragrance till my bday in March . I will be sampling a lot.
    I want to try fragrances from Nicolai, Michallef ,
    Last edited by vinramani09; 25th December 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Well, it easy for you to disprove us.
    Get a full 50ml bottle of scent.
    Start spraying it till you empty it, and count the sprays while you do so.
    Divide that total count figure by 10.
    Then you will know how many sprays you get from a 5ml sample, rather than thinking that you know.
    You seem to forget that many of us have gotten sore fingers spraying numerous 1ml and 1.4ml sample vials.
    After some research on some Websites, it seems like there is a general consensus that 1 ML equals get 5 - 12 sprays of fragrance coming out of the actual fragrance BOTTLE (and not a decant). There are VERY different results on this.
    Like I said before, I filled up a 5ml plastic decant bottle with water, all the way to the top and put the sprayer on it. I counted 24 sprays until the decant was empty.
    However, I can see some bottles having more sprays per ML.
    Still, between 5 and 12 sprays per ML is a pretty big difference. I guess, I can see the difference in output when I spray Cerruti 1881 and when I spray Pure Havane, for example.
    Just don't count on your little 5ML decant having the same amount of sprays per ML than your actual fragrance bottles, because that is not going to be the case.

After some research on some Websites, it seems like there is a general consensus that 1 ML equals get 5 - 12 sprays of fragrance coming out of the actual fragrance BOTTLE (and not a decant). There are VERY different results on this.
    Like I said before, I filled up a 5ml plastic decant bottle with water, all the way to the top and put the sprayer on it. I counted 24 sprays until the decant was empty.
    However, I can see some bottles having more sprays per ML.
    Still, between 5 and 12 sprays per ML is a pretty big difference. I guess, I can see the difference in output when I spray Cerruti 1881 and when I spray Pure Havane, for example.
    Just don't count on your little 5ML decant having the same amount of sprays per ML than your actual fragrance bottles, because that is not going to be the case.
    Plainly, I could put scent into an insecticide sprayer and get 1or 2 mls per spray.
    Which is as relevant to how many sprays one gets out of typical scent bottles as what you are are writing about your particular atomiser sprayer.
    You keep disagreeing with what I wrote on the basis of unsupported assertions and irrelevant consideration.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by "Scentapede" View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just feel comfortable saying right off the bat, i am pretty quiet most of the time but i check BN everyday ust to see what is going on, what is new and good, etc... All the things that draw you here for different or maybe the same as many of you nice people. I just wanted to ask you guys and gals how many is enough, my wardrobe is around 100 deep bc i have a bunch of doubles.

The issue i wanted to ask everyone about is it is really hard to stop buying and have the "perfect wardrobe" which, at least for me i know is impossible, it is just hard bc it seems like today there are so many new fragrances coming out and not just celebrity scents but a lot of $$$$ niche scents too, does anyone else feel like they can not keep up? I try and order samples to try to keep up but it seems new niches come out so often, i can't keep up. thanks you everyone, in advance, for your feedback and thoughts.

BTW, If i don't try the new stuff, ie, all of the new Aouds, i remember when there were very few Aouds and now they are in everything.

Please could we try to stick to the topic - thanks.