Code of Conduct

Default I wonder how much of our respective passions for fragrance...

...came from youthful insecurities??? I think when I was 15 or 16, knowing I wasn't a jock or in the popular crowd, I determined that I needed SOMETHING to get me in the running, so to speak. I figured that if I did my best regarding grooming and attire, it would help. But so many other guys didn't have to try as hard and got noticed. I figured maybe having the right fragrance would give me just the edge I needed. Since then, I feel naked without a fragrance. If, when I was single in my 20s, I went to a club, I would be an absolute wallflower if I didn't have some manner of noticeable fragrance on me. But with it? My confidence was boosted exponentially. Now I apply after every shower, and freshen up a couple times a day and once before I return home....and I'll lightly mist myself before going into a public place.

Anyone else here experience this?

Default Re: I wonder how much of our respective passions for fragrance...

I've always been a confident guy (especially with the ladies), but fragrances are an added bonus.

I don't think it is so much insecurities but rather simply a desire to make the best possible impression on others. Certainly being well-groomed, well dressed, and smelling good- all these things can make you feel better and have more confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    ...came from youthful insecurities??? I think when I was 15 or 16, knowing I wasn't a jock or in the popular crowd, I determined that I needed SOMETHING to get me in the running, so to speak. I figured that if I did my best regarding grooming and attire, it would help. But so many other guys didn't have to try as hard and got noticed. I figured maybe having the right fragrance would give me just the edge I needed. Since then, I feel naked without a fragrance. If, when I was single in my 20s, I went to a club, I would be an absolute wallflower if I didn't have some manner of noticeable fragrance on me. But with it? My confidence was boosted exponentially. Now I apply after every shower, and freshen up a couple times a day and once before I return home....and I'll lightly mist myself before going into a public place.

This is me to a tee now also, so I can totally relate! Always have a 5ml atomiser with my fragrance of that day locked and loaded!lol

However, the youth thing not so much...started my fragrance wearing and passion later in life. As a matter of fact wearing fragrances I would say makes me MORE self conscious and insecure, as my mother non-stop gets on me about it(even when now I wear nothing around her, she still claims "my deodorant is way too strong!" with all the theatric hand motions along with it) Also anytime someone around me continually clears their throat/coughs/sniffs their nose I think "oh great, do I have too much on...or do they just have a cold?!"

Dependent

my love of fragrance came from me stealing my brothers Versace blue jeans, going to school and getting tons of compliments. Before that, I wore whatever was lying around. since then, I realized how much power fragrance holds
    Last edited by Preston H; 18th December 2013 at 10:14 PM.

None whatsoever.

In fact I used to hate scents and people who wore them, particularly when they set off my asthma and hay fever. I've only just come around to them recently, and in fact I tend to be rather self conscious and usually don't want others to smell it unless they get really close.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    This is me to a tee now also, so I can totally relate! Always have a 5ml atomiser with my fragrance of that day locked and loaded!lol

However, the youth thing not so much...started my fragrance wearing and passion later in life. As a matter of fact wearing fragrances I would say makes me MORE self conscious and insecure, as my mother non-stop gets on me about it(even when now I wear nothing around her, she still claims "my deodorant is way too strong!" with all the theatric hand motions along with it) Also anytime someone around me continually clears their throat/coughs/sniffs their nose I think "oh great, do I have too much on...or do they just have a cold?!"
    I HATE it when people complain that it's too strong!!!

The worst thing is that I am scared to complain to management about body odor or strong cigarette odor of my coworkers for fear they will throw my cologne usage back in my face.

My respective passion for fragrance came from the country where I spent years of my adolescence and the people who inspired me while I was there. Nothing linked to a youthful insecurity.
    (1781)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I've always been around fragrances - the ouds, incense, rose, musks of the eastern variety. So being into fragrances is natural.

I'm not passionate about frags. I just like nice smelling things, nice shoes, shirts, watches...I guess you could call it fashion or just an appreciation of nice things.
    If you think fragrances are expensive, try enjoying watches. £200-500 ($300-750) is considered CHEAP and £1500-2000 midrange for mechanical watches. I have 8 and I'm too poor to buy anymore. Time pieces are art and science (mechanics) combinef and extremely elegant. I'm 31 btw. Perhaps they do have something in common. Fragrances are artistic and a form of expression too.

Sent from my HTC One
    Last edited by badr; 18th December 2013 at 11:37 PM.

I was plenty insecure in my youth but my passion for fragrance has nothing to do with it.
    It started with aftershaves. Boys didn't wear fragrance but men did.
    As I tried different aftershaves and colognes my appreciation grew.

"Fragrances are artistic and a form of expression too."
    My thoughts exactly. They take me to a time, a place, a feeling or a mood.

I am on the other end of the spectrum here, like many I am sure.

My love for fragrance came from the fragrance itself...if I smell something interesting, my curiosity takes over. Till today, I wear fragrance for personal enjoyment, period. I could care less what those around me think. Probably selfish, but...
    Keep Smelling Good
    ANDREW

I think most of the world's problems can be traced back to peoples youthful insecurities
    That and trying to impress women, which is probably part of the same deal

I was very insecure in my youth, but that didn't stop me from wearing Poison, Obsession and Diva. Even insecure, I had a strong personality. However,that isn't where the passion came from. Honestly, the passion came from being here and realizing there was so much to fragrance. I'd been searching for something to replace a scent that I had and couldn't replace and I began to read on here and the rest is history. For me, it's very much about sensory stimulation. I love things that ignite the senses.

Can't say it did. I did all my youthful dating without fragrance and rather successfully so. Getting older and more unsightly may be a reason though lol.

Banned
    Blog Entries

in my youth I was always the cool chubby kid..
    always played ball and kept a few girls..
    always with the (In) crowd..
    The obsession started some time ago..

When you don't have any room left on the drawer/chest/medicine cabinet or wherever you initially started storing frag's..
    Then you know you are obsessed..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewthecologneguy View Post
    I am on the other end of the spectrum here, like many I am sure.

My love for fragrance came from the fragrance itself...if I smell something interesting, my curiosity takes over. Till today, I wear fragrance for personal enjoyment, period. I could care less what those around me think. Probably selfish, but...
    Yes! When I was a kid I could find something wonderful in the department stores and it was a real treasure hunt. I could even afford it! That was back in the 1970's. Nothing is any good now, though :-( so I have to go on to the fancy high end stuff for my fix.

Early on, though, I just enjoyed the adventure of aroma. I never worried that someone might not like it. I had very good taste. Still do :-)

Insecurities? Not really seeing that one. I have fond memories of seeing my father spritz his favorite colognes while taking my mother out on their weekly "date night" - I remember once he was putting on his blazer, took it back off, sprayed his shirt once, looked down at me and said "I almost forgot your mother's favorite scent" and winked at me and continued with "...we can't have that, now can we?".

But that aside, it's just a piece of my wardrobe like my watches, my choice in shoes or how my belts match my shoes typically. No confidence is gained from a scent for me. It's usually only for me - odd thing, I tend to thank any incoming compliments, but I never have felt the need to seek any out. My confidence is not lacking - ask my wife... it's how I got her

Smell can trigger a memory. It's part of our senses. In fact, it's just another way for me to remember certain items or events.

There's a lot of good responses in this thread. But if anything, this is just a part of my daily routine and doesn't compensate for anything other than an interesting hobby and habit. But who doesn't enjoy smelling good? If not for others, for yourself (which to me, is way more important).

I agree to a degree, for me is just and always was even from my early teens an accessory to an already radiantly shinny slab of Gold in heat of the Sun that has being embellished with a sparkling crusted Diamond....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I started just because of two reasons: I loved the feedback I got from girls when I smelled good, and I just loved smelling good for myself. I got immense personal pleasure from my own aroma when I wore Polo in particular. My Mom pushed me toward Avon Black Suede when I was 15, and I have never looked back. I was never in the cool crowd and I was never a jock. I was fiercely independent and I still am. Might be the only child thing!

Hope it's okay to add a female perspective here (I often wear traditionally masculine fragrances, for what it's worth)... While I always felt that wearing fragrance was a real 'finishing touch' to being well-groomed and did indeed boost my self-confidence, my passion for fragrance was actually born out of finally overcoming serious environmental allergies that largely robbed me of my sense of smell for several years.

Once I could smell things again, I first set out to find a second 'signature scent' and then all hell broke loose... :-)
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

It's part of the lifestyle here.

for swap/sale:

Never linked it with insecurities.
    It is something I picked up, and gained momentum over time.
    Since I picked it up, evry one around me (i mean relatives) seemed
    to have picked some of it as well, I introduced black oud and
    amouage Jubilation to them, they buy it the whole time now

I wouldn't say this is true for me. I don't really think about whether my fragrances help me appear to be a good mate or get any attention (I never get compliments). I just wear them to enjoy them and enjoy the art form, just like how someone would collect fine art or antiques.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

I don't link my passion for fragrances to insecurity in any way. I'm a sensual man. My passions are photography, music, perfume, daaaaaaaark beer, and a woman's touch. Not in that order

In my opinion, the guys who wear "cologne" because they think it'll help them get laid have insecurity issues. Those guys are usually looking for things like AdG and 1 Million. They're looking for "panty-droppers," and god I hate this awful phrase. It's both juvenile and disrespectful. I'm sure there are some of those guys on basenotes, but for the most part, this is a community of people who are in-tune with their sense of smell and find pleasure in it, and I think that's marvelous.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I started to wear fragrances to impress others but now I wear them just for myself, so yes, maybe you are right and many people wear fragrances just to fulfill their "attention whore" needs but hopefuly everyone will mature over time and find that its kinda unhealthy reason.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Interest in fragrances came before interest in the ladies.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!