Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: I want to REEK! - Is that so wrong?

I've wrestled with this issue as well. However, I have come to realize that often, I've just become a osmotic to the scent while others around me smell it strongly.

Try spraying mostly on your neck such as the hollow of your throat and the sides of your neck, but not behind your ears. I like to spray on these places and also just below the neckline of my shirts and blouse so that the fragrance will waft up to my nostrils.

Blog Entries

Regarding some modern Guerlains, my personal observations in case they might be helpful.
    Citrus and herbal Aqua Allegorias and modern Après L'Ondée EDT are most fleeting but for Après, it very much fits the nature and the name. I love it enough not to mind. I will reapply or follow it with L'Heure Bleue. At least so many have the Guerlinade going on so they can follow each other without much if any disharmony in my nose. Within reason.
    I could use Mitsouko after Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune. I think layering and transitioning the Guerlains is fun.

Insolence, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Shalimar last a couple to several hours longer in EDP on me but I like EDT in some of them too, they each smell different, though. L'Heure Bleue especially because the freshness balances the powder better on me in EDT at the expense of longevity. In Mitsouko, the EDT is long-lasting enough but too sharp on me most of the time, I prefer the EDP but I don't usually wear it 2 days in a row. I find Shalimar less cloying in EDT but sometimes crave the sensory swoon of EDP. But not at a small library boardroom meeting. So often I need both!

I'm really glad I made tests of different versions before starting to buy, the differences matter to me enough to want to know in advance what to expect, even though I have not ventured into any really expensive things. I would have been a little taken aback with a blind buy of Après L'Ondée, it being expensive enough to me and a little effort to get. Knowing in advance, I could decide better.
    It's a constant trade off for me especially since I have always had dry skin too. If I am not careful, everything lasts even less than it could if I will slather on the cream and oils and take moisturizing baths. I spray at the base of my skull under long hair and in my cleavage in addition to the usual places.

When I want to reek, I wear Fendi original (even the EDT is stronggggg) or Chanel Coco Noir EDP, especially on my clothes or hair. On a coat made from any kind of natural materials, they will stay most of a winter unless dry cleaned away! Funny about By Kilian, looking at the boxes and bottles, I'd have thought they would be very strong and Bond No9 the more fleeting. Molecule 1 would certainly smell like Emperor's New Clothes to someone who can't smell Iso E Super though, right?

My problem with reapplying anything too complex is that I very much enjoy the development of the notes from beginning to end so spraying something afresh when the middle or last notes of a previous application linger even a little doesn't always smell very good to me. I haven't seen this aspect discussed much but I've been wondering about it.

It doesn't especially have to do with price either, we've all sprayed on a bad drugstore 'stank' we could unfortunately still smell into tomorrow despite bathing vigorously, right? :P Aviance Night Musk...
    Last edited by mimielle; 20th December 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Clarification
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    Try spraying mostly on your neck such as the hollow of your throat and the sides of your neck, but not behind your ears. I like to spray on these places and also just below the neckline of my shirts and blouse so that the fragrance will waft up to my nostrils.
    The cleavage is another popular place and many apparently pop a tiny scented cotton ball there!
    The little hollow at the base of the neck is a great place to apply - - do take care to allow the scent to dry after applying to the neck area before wearing some of the more porous gemstones.

I have the older Apres L'Onde edt and parfum, I can smell the edt a good four hours later, but I bet anyone standing two feet from me wouldn't. I get little wafts every so often when I think it has gone. The parfum is actually very similar to L'Heure Bleu you get hours from it.

You really want to blast bystanders six feet away, then Chanel especially the older edts. I have No22 which could take on at least six other well known fragrances and beat them in a reek out.

The older Caron edps I get a good six hours from and other can still smell them too.

Rule one for me, never wear the same fragrance more than 3 to 4 days in a role. I get bored and I bet my nose would too.

Spray is better than dab for me(apart from Caron extracts especially Narcisse Noir which could bitch slap most modern perfumes for attitude and power):

one spray each side of the neck about half an inch from your earlobe, base of throat, then hairline at the back of the neck.

one spray on each wrist, then inner elbow, then down each forearm.

If you really want to go for it, behind each knee and the V each side where thights join your body.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

As mentioned earlier, l would avoid spraying the neck as it's too close to the nose, & may cause you to stop noticing the scent after a while. l recommend a couple of sprays on each outer forearm; l find the fine hairs there hold the scent for far longer than anywhere else, & give off nice wafts when you move.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Agree that the outer forearm is a great place - it doesn't interfere with jewellery there either and is additionally my preferred place for samples.

The hollow at the base of the neck has been suggested for oils worn for aromatherapy type purposes.
    Last edited by lpp; 20th December 2013 at 09:22 AM.

Reek away, re-apply.
    Currently wearing: Sahara Noir by Tom Ford

just over spray endlessly!
    after that join the "Liberal Oversprayers club" here on B'notes!
    Currently wearing: Red Vetyver by Montale

If it doesn't last/project it's not worth a lot of money. It misses the whole point of perfume. Even if I like the perfume I will not be happy with it. I don't think I should have to pour half the bottle over myself to make it last if other perfumes manage to with 2 or 3 sprays.

Blog Entries

ln my experience, & on my skin, there are very few fragrances that last adequately with only two or three sprays. On average l use around six or seven sprays for most of mine. Should l join the Liberal Oversprayers Club too??
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    ln my experience, & on my skin, there are very few fragrances that last adequately with only two or three sprays. On average l use around six or seven sprays for most of mine. Should l join the Liberal Oversprayers Club too??
    Sure!
    You are welcome!

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think it's really impolite to spray an invasive amount of fragrance on yourself. It's beyond a matter of personal preference when you are invading upon other people's senses.

I just want to point out that I was also using some hyperbole there too. I know the feeling of enjoyment of having a scent envelop one and wanting to enjoy it for a whole day.

I can't speak to the modern Caron parfums, but of the Guerlain and Chanel pure parfums I've tried, they're much much better than the reguarl edt/edp concentrations.
    Tom Ford Splits: ORIGINAL AMBER ABSOLUTE AVAILABLE (PreReformulation)!!!
    ONE LEFT:
    Italian Cypress, Azure Lime, Costa Azzura, Patchouli Absolu, Mandarino Di Amalfi

Also: Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Neroli Portofino, Lavender Palm, Plum Japonais, Champacca Absolute
    Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post

one spray each side of the neck about half an inch from your earlobe, base of throat, then hairline at the back of the neck.

one spray on each wrist, then inner elbow, then down each forearm.

If you really want to go for it, behind each knee and the V each side where thights join your body.
    Heed Donna’s advice for maximum reek. I change scent a couple times during the day so base of neck at hairline, cleavage and forearms is enough for five hours and then I want a change. I also find hair and clothes are a good holder of scent.

I’m in the minority and when possible I prefer to splash or generous dabs. I like to keep my fragrance close so only those who enter my personal space can smell what I have on. Only one I tend to overdose on is No.5. On days where I’m not in enclosed spaces with people I will wear it like fog around me.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Sadly, some of my favorites just don't deliver in the longevity dept. I fight back by making and carrying spray decants. Reapply whenever the mood strikes me. It's actually quite luxurious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, this I do all the time ....
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by SereneGreen View Post
    I think it's really impolite to spray an invasive amount of fragrance on yourself. It's beyond a matter of personal preference when you are invading upon other people's senses.
    Of course, but I work at home. Most days I am spraying for personal enjoyment.

Today I'm using some of the spraying techniques suggested here on Tom Ford's Jasmine Rouge. So far so good.

Basenotes Plus

I want long-lasting scents, too, SF. Most of the L'Artisans, though beautiful, don't last at all on me and so I don't buy them. However, I got a sample of Caron Acaciosa (after reading your scent-fest) and it lasted more than 12 hours! That's a keeper! I don't expect so much from citrus scents but most of my collection is made up of long-lasting scents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Of course, but I work at home. Most days I am spraying for personal enjoyment.
    I do most of my big spraying in the evening, when I'm home. And work-at-home days and weekends are awesome.

When I was a kid, things were different. It seemed like all women wore perfume, and you could smell them easily. There was a lot of smoking, too - pipes and cigars included - and the smells were everywhere. It's not surprising that European perfumers travel to North Africa to get olfactory inspiration - they basically have to go to a society where scents are not viewed as an intrusion, to chance upon - well - intruding inspirations.

It's important to remember that current Western social values are not universal in time or space, no matter how much that thought tends to naturally manifest (pun intended).

I dream of taking a retirement trip to some place where lots of fragrance is a good thing. Probably won't happen, but I can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I dream of taking a retirement trip to some place where lots of fragrance is a good thing. Probably won't happen, but I can dream.
    Sounds like you need to head to Hedonist country - the UAE!

(1913)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sounds like you need to head to the Hedonist country - the UAE!

(1913)

TOTALLY!

My wife would love to go - she just wants to go to too many other places, too! But I would love to make it happen. Maybe not this year, but we'll see......

TOTALLY!

My wife would love to go - she just wants to go to too many other places, too! But I would love to make it happen. Maybe not this year, but we'll see......
    I have yet to get there, but if your wife is a shopper - that's shoppers' paradise from what I understand
    (1915)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have yet to get there, but if your wife is a shopper - that's shoppers' paradise from what I understand
    (1915)
    I was looking online, and they have more L'Occitane stores than I would have thought possible. And they carry some exclusives that apparently are not here in the US or in Europe!

Yes, I will definitely enlist that one in getting her to go. The trick will be reining it in a bit once we get there!

The trick will be reining it in a bit once we get there!
    I hear you

(1918)

I often want to reek ,too
    Projection is not the most important, can always spray a couple of times extra. But I want and admire longevity. Dont need 24 hrs, but when I have to press my nose to my wrists after three hours, that is heartbreaking. In some cases, like citruses I do understand that its not physically possible though, not a matter of quality.
    Mini spray in bag, and spraying on clothes are the best tips I can offer
    Currently wearing: Beloved by Amouage

I also apply after I return home from work and can enjoy the scent to my own satisfaction. For me, perfume is definitely aromatherapy.

People are strange about "air space." They consider it part of their personal space, and they don't want others to intrude with smoke or fragrance. Some of them have fears regarding their health. Others feel repulsed by strong odors. It didn't always used to be this way in our society, but it is now. Hence, the trend toward "apologetic" fragrances. I don't like them. I like bold aromas. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, as long as nobody else is harmed, so we have to take our differences into consideration if we want to get along. There are times and places when it's okay to reek.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 21st December 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    People are strange about "air space." They consider it part of their personal space, and they don't want others to intrude with smoke or fragrance. Some of them have fears regarding their health. Others feel repulsed by strong odors. It didn't always used to be this way in our society, but it is now. Hence, the trend toward "apologetic" fragrances. I don't like them. I like bold aromas. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, as long as nobody else is harmed, so we have to take our differences into consideration if we want to get along. There are times and places when it's okay to reek.
    working in a place where some people lobotomizes you with their alcoholic breath and assorted body odours raging from acrid sweat to stale piss I am often congratulated by my colleagues for my trail of scents!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    working in a place where some people lobotomizes you with their alcoholic breath and assorted body odours raging from acrid sweat to stale piss I am often congratulated by my colleagues for my trail of scents!
    Same here!