Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Blog Entries

Default Re: I want to REEK! - Is that so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    working in a place where some people lobotomizes you with their alcoholic breath and assorted body odours raging from acrid sweat to stale piss I am often congratulated by my colleagues for my trail of scents!
    Damn - where is the "like" button when I need it?

working in a place where some people lobotomizes you with their alcoholic breath and assorted body odours raging from acrid sweat to stale piss I am often congratulated by my colleagues for my trail of scents!
    Hysterical!

Well, all, I realize now that I'm paying for having sampled perfumes only on a strip of paper and briefly on my hand, rather than doing a full wearing. However, I'm now wondering if, as chypre suggest, the IFRA rules could be responsible for these ephemeral designer perfumes. For a Caron EdP to vanish on the skin in less than 2 hours, so much so that you can't even smell it on your hand is ... weird. So I'm conducting comparisons. A Tom Ford on the left hand. A Slumberhouse on the right. An hour and the Slumberhouse still reeks, as it should. The Tom Ford is dying down. I'm going to keep at it until I can either draw conclusions, or discover none can be drawn. Will report.

After reading through this read I can say that a lot of people misunderstood the OP's concern.

She doesn't want to flood the area with her perfume but she expects projection to be reasonable. Not 2-3 hours.

I agree.

I don't want a perfume to be 10 hours because that just feels unnatural but then again 2-3 is really just unacceptable most of the time.

I do own a few perfumes that project 2-3 hours but those are rare cases because the perfume is worth those short hours (Idole is one).

Am I anosmic?

No I continuously smell my perfumes the whole time they project whether 4 hours like Mouchoir de Monsieur or 14 like Leather Oud.

I get get anosmic with some perfumes but thats only the first 5 minutes after spraying. And not every time. There must be some ingredient that causes it but I know for a fact that its not in all perfumes.

The main question is :

Can we say a perfume should last longer than X hours.
    Does that mean said perfumer is purposely reducing projection?
    Or is incompetent as a perfumer?

The latter can't be because Francis Kurkdjian's Absolue pour le Soir projects and lasts for a good 8 hours while Lumiere noir pour homme is gone in 3 hours.

They're both priced similarly and are in the same category (not regular line vs prive line for example).

Whats causing one to last much less than the other?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hysterical!

For a Caron EdP to vanish on the skin in less than 2 hours, so much so that you can't even smell it on your hand is ... weird. So I'm conducting comparisons.
    Which Caron are you referring to?

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Which Caron are you referring to?
    Both of my new loves: En Avion and Accord 119. They're EdPs and reformulations, I assume, but even so ...

Both of my new loves: En Avion and Accord 119. They're EdPs and reformulations, I assume, but even so ...
    I've worn En Avion edp on several occasions from the Caron boutique & it lasted a good 6 hours with excellent projection.

How many sprays are you spraying?

for swap/sale:

I've worn En Avion edp on several occasions from the Caron boutique & it lasted a good 6 hours with excellent projection.

How many sprays are you spraying?
    Two or three?

Two or three?
    I thought you were going to say one.

2-3 is reasonable.

Try 5-6.

for swap/sale:

I thought you were going to say one.

2-3 is reasonable.

Try 5-6.
    Will do, but now I'm wondering if all this sniffing I've been doing is making my nose malfunction. Looking up anosmic.

Why do you suspect that you're anosmic? It seems as though you've been able to detect fragrance in the recent past. You've certainly written some good reviews.

Blog Entries

Will do, but now I'm wondering if all this sniffing I've been doing is making my nose malfunction. Looking up anosmic.
    You've certainly done a LOT of sniffing in a short space of time. Maybe your nose is tired? Perhaps taking a short break might help things to reset a little.
    Last edited by teardrop; 22nd December 2013 at 07:43 PM.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Increase the amount of sprays until you get the desired effect.
    (1819)
    Simple as this.

Reek??? One spray and you are good to go for four hours. Your nose gets fatiqued quickly, and people will smell you. Try carrying an atonomizer with you and refresh after lunch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    You've certainly done a LOT of sniffing in a short space of time. Maybe your nose is tired? Perhaps taking a short break might help things to reset a little.
    Probably right. Not sure I can stop my nose. I think it's gone robo.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Some lines capitalize on screaming volume to try and dupe unsuspecting buyers to believing that it's a sign of quality.
    Spot on assessment. Sadly, many members echo that sentiment. As far as the OP goes, you may not smell it but others around you may smell it fine. If you wear a scarf, what you can do is spray it with your scent. This may enhance your personal enjoyment of said fragrance

More thoughts on reeking. Temperature and humidity in the environment play a role in fragrance projection and perception - maybe some adjustments with regard to the aforementioned?

This is going to sound strange, but I almost envy you! I think it's more liberating than the "sterile" non-scent of most work places!
    Last edited by purplebird7; 24th December 2013 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    This is going to sound strange, but I almost envy you! I think it's more liberating than the "sterile" non-scent of most work places!
    after all it is not so strange, working in a "bohemienne" environment leaves lots of room for "unconventional behaviour" !!!

Blog Entries

after all it is not so strange, working in a "bohemienne" environment leaves lots of room for "unconventional behaviour" !!!
    Yep, so does working in a hospital...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

get a travelo

Over-applying, over-spraying, plus slight longevity enhancers that moisturize skin (creams, body lotions, preferably unscented) plus fragrances with lots of civet, musky, amber, leathery etc. notes should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    slight longevity enhancers that moisturize skin (creams, body lotions, preferably unscented)
    Scentfan, I would test this, too. Depending on where you live (humid vs dry climate) and depending on the dryness of your skin, using an unscented lotion on your neck, shoulders, chest, décolletage, and arms could help with the longevity. I know I personally notice a difference in the longevity of *some* of my fragrances when I use lotion first and when I don't.

That may not solve it for you, but it may help. Then, whether you increase the number of sprays (I usually use 4-5 sprays on everything except Sonoma Scent Studio fragrances ) or simply decant and reapply throughout the day I think is totally personal preference.

Btw, I don't own a single L'Artisan full bottle, in part because I don't love them -- the LAP oeuvre is not my cup of tea -- and in part because of the longevity issues. I just won't wear anything that doesn't last at least 4 hours. (I do have 2 LAP decants that seem to be exceptions to the LAP longevity rule: Traversee du Bosphore and L'Eau du Navigateur.) Good luck!

Scentfan, I have this same issue and it's annoying, but I recently purchased my first Montale (Red Aoud) and they have a reputation for being bombs. I wasn't disappointed I can tell you. However, the truth is, that when I was able to smell it constantly, it actually became overwhelming. I had that experience with Guerlain's Habit Rouge as well. I now wear only one spray of either of those frags due to this issue.

All that to say, it varies from one scent to another...........and be careful what you wish for. LOL

Good luck getting it all figured.

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post
    get a travelo
    Bought some. Thanks.

danieq, I'm in love with Montale's Jasmin Full and will probably buy Incense Full too. Wonderful fragrances. Now I want to do a sniff fest on the entire Montale line. By the time I get to the Guerlains I'll probably need a bigger house for my collection.

ExtremeK I did first notice this problem in the drier winter climate.

Thanks for the additional pointers, everyone.
    Last edited by ScentFan; 26th January 2014 at 04:11 AM.

I think I belong to the 7-8 sprays group and my fragrances still do not project. I think my skin absorb fragrances to the max even if I do not have dry skin. Also I bring mini atomizers, good thing the company I work for is not strict on fragrances at all, so I can wear anything I want

Right now, I will double apply my fragrances, wet skin ---->apply fragrance (7-8)---->apply moisturizer ----->apply fragrance----->wear clothes; will report back how it goes;

It's quite possible that others are noticing your fragrances when you are not, happyscent - have you asked friends or co-workers for their opinions yet?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    It's quite possible that others are noticing your fragrances when you are not, happyscent - have you asked friends or co-workers for their opinions yet?
    I don't get any comments if I smell of perfume or anything when I am in the office even if I do a heavy application. Hmmm, your right maybe I should ask them up front if I am wearing too much for comfort.

Though in the office, I only wear citrus, tea, mint, floral-berry type of fragrances so I tend to over apply.

It may be worth asking around, happyscent - sometimes our brains just start ignoring the fragrance that we're wearing.

So if you spend $$$ on lipstick it should be smeared all over the face? Makes no sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    So if you spend $$$ on lipstick it should be smeared all over the face? Makes no sense at all.
    Of course it should! Don't be silly.

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    It shouldn't be applied so faintly that it's like you're noir wearing lipstick.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Try a spray on your hair. It works wonders.

I want to reek of L'Heure Bleue, but find it's a quieter scent so I tend to spray on the back of my hand and make sure to sit with my hand on my chin often enough to catch lots of whiffs throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I want to reek of L'Heure Bleue, but find it's a quieter scent so I tend to spray on the back of my hand and make sure to sit with my hand on my chin often enough to catch lots of whiffs throughout the day.
    Had bad luck with my L'heure Bleue vintage sample. It came, but it smells like cherries and there's no voluptuousness at all! It's either spoiled or not L'heure Bleue.

Blog Entries

Heliotrope does smell a little like cherries ScentFan, so l am not surprised you are smelling them in L'Heure Bleue. Maybe some of the other notes in your sample have turned, though. l think l read somewhere that L'HB does not age very well.

Another name for heliotrope grown here is 'cherry pie'.

Got some heliotrope here in my kit. Sniffing. Totally right. It's cherries. You guys know your stuff. Thanks, teardrop and Ipp. I'm going for the current LhB because I do love it. Will try again for vintage.

Good luck, ScentFan!

I haven't smelled Cherries at all, I do hope you get a better sample of vintage next try Scentfan.

Blog Entries

I think it's called "cherry pie" because it's like when you add the almond extract to the cherries in the pie. That's what heliotrope smells like. To me it always smell first of play dough then settles into an almond sweetness.
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th January 2014 at 10:36 PM.