Code of Conduct

Default Help Me Identify A Fake? (kennethcole / fragrancenet.com)

In advance, I appreciate any and all opinion and guidance.

I have scanned this site's discussion board for hours, and I've seen strong opinions against people jumping on here, giving negative comments on a B2C site, and then ditching. I truly understand all of your passionate responses to these trolls. This post is NOT about that. I honestly and truly need your assistance in determining if a particular shipment may be illegitimate before raising concern with the company. I'm not accusing the vendor of selling fakes, but what I may suspect is that the vendor may have been faked by one of their distributors. I am asking your opinion if I have valid concern enough to return/request for a refund.

I really need your help and experience in determining my way forward.

After reading tons of posts here, I decided to order from fragrancenet.com for my Dad's Christmas present, as it appeared it had the best reputation and fierce support around these boards. I ordered Kenneth Cole's Black. Today, the shipment was received and a picture of the unopened and sealed product looks like this:

There are several aspects of this packaging that REALLY raises some flags for me. I will provide a picture of what fragrancenet.com uses as their stock photo here, which is VERY consistent across vendors across the internet (kohls, target, etc):

REMEMBER: I have not opened this package since it's a gift.

Difference #1: Notice the words "New York" below the "Kenneth Cole" line. It exists in MOST snapshots of the packaging across the Internet, including the fragrancenet.com site where I ordered this, but not on the package that I received.

Difference #2: Look at the line below "Eau De Toilette". Mine simply says "VAPORISATEUR" whereas EVERY image I can pull up on google (including the one at fragrancenet.com where I ordered this) has some text that exceeds the length of the line above it, although I can't read the exact words because of decreased resolution.

Difference #3: and THIS is the most striking difference that I've found. Everywhere I've looked, including ALL google search of images, and most importantly the image portrayed by fragrancenet.com where I bought this, is the order of the quantity. On my box, it lists the OZ first and then the ML. Every single picture I've seen of this product has listed the ML first, and then the OZ. But not mine...

So, with these three things in mind, do you thing I have enough of a case to return this to fragrancenet.com for a refund and with some valid evidence that this may be illegitimate? Or should I take my investigation further?

Again, I truly and sincerely appreciate any and all comments.

Moderator.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help Me Identify A Fake? (kennethcole / fragrancenet.com)

Hi OmahaVike & welcome!

Normally, people are advised to take a sniff - a fake will be ghastly!

If you're unhappy, it's probably best in terms of your peace of mind to return the item, request a refund & purchase another from a reputable 'bricks & mortar' store

Product packaging does vary enormously for many reasons & 'stock' photos frequently fail to reflect this.

As you have doubtless seen, 'fake' threads here are far more common than the discovery of fakes!

Post Thanks / Like

Also, your purchase is in a price range that does not make much sense to fake. A fake Creed is going to net hundreds of dollars of profit for the faker, but KC Black is roughly $25, which does not offer much of a margin.
    "You just keep me hangin' on." -- Farewell, Lou.

I agree with Lpp. She raises many valid points. If only for your peace of mind, return it, and get it elsewhere where you can clearly see the packaging of the product to your satisfaction before purchasing it.

(1947)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

You don't do "fire on mirror" check?..

When you spray perfume on the mirror, then light it up. If after it turns out to be splited on tiny equal drops - then - good real stuff, based on quality oils.
    If it turns out to be single puddle of alcohol - then...someone in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6of1 View Post
    Also, your purchase is in a price range that does not make much sense to fake. A fake Creed is going to net hundreds of dollars of profit for the faker, but KC Black is roughly $25, which does not offer much of a margin.
    Have to agree as well.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never heard of Black being faked..
    As mentioned it is still widely available at good prices

Post Thanks / Like

Macy's is getting rid of Kenneth Cole.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Highly doubt it's fake. Wouldn't be worth anyone's time to fake a Kenneth Cole

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Macy's is getting rid of Kenneth Cole.
    That's a shame..
    They have a few good scents..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    That's a shame..
    They have a few good scents..
    You can get it online, but limited. In the store near me, does not carry it anymore. Kohl's has it, but limited also.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO , return it although it's legit IMHO , just for peace of mind , I've stated many times, that I've done firm empirical exams on my skin on various niche and designer frags from authorized dealers and compared them to those obtained at fragrancenet and to my surprise some not all that I obtained from fragrancenet have been more potent (Creed) and others have little to NO major differences....and this to my honest truthful surprise and this to me was a welcome shock.
    Last edited by magnus611; 25th December 2013 at 03:12 AM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents"