Code of Conduct
    Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Question Is Amouage watering down ?

According to this URL below, Amouage could has been watered down.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/217...=1#post3021520

That is a good price anyway, but selling lesser quality products for lesser costs is really cheap trick.

By the way, it is one person's experience so it can not prove anything much.

He might got olfactory fatigue from smelling countess scents because there are load of perfumes there, both Niche&Designer.

Or Amouage might reformulated their fragrances again.

Anyone try Amouage lately ? Is Amouage watered down ?
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Default Re: Is Amouage watering down ?

Do you know which particular one was affected, Wit?
    Many of the older ones have altered a lot in recent years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Do you know which particular one was affected, Wit?
    Many of the older ones have altered a lot in recent years.
    We need to wait for 1111ff to tell us which ones he/she tried.

AMOUAGE bottles I bought months ago also smell quit different than the decants I got recent years.

Basenotes Junkie

A new member with eight posts claiming an unnamed Amouage fragrance to possibly be watered down is pretty vague if you ask me. Perhaps if we got a bigger number of claims, but as it is, I'm not sure we can conclude with anything.

It's not surprising to me, Wit - my old bottle of Ubar, for example, is a lot different to the newer one purchased a few years later and it's not only Amouage products that are affected.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hreple View Post
    A new member with eight posts claiming an unnamed Amouage fragrance to possibly be watered down is pretty vague if you ask me. Perhaps if we got a bigger number of claims, but as it is, I'm not sure we can conclude with anything.
    I can not agree more.

IMO, Gold has been altered but I think this is a universal truth. It has been toned down but I'm not sure about watered down/weaker.

I can say that my new bottle of Epic is a weakling. It lasts a good long while but 15-18 sprays of it will not do any harm and from what I've read, this would have knocked out a 5 block radius.

I also have a fairly new bottle of Memoir and from what I read, this one should prove stronger than what I experience. It is more potent than Epic for me but still, nothing like I thought it would be.

Now, my current bottle of Interlude is of nuclear strength. Is that perhaps because it's too new to have been altered???

Lastly, a test of Jubilation XXV proves it to be a lightweight on my skin. It quickly becomes a skin scent though it does last. I need to have my nose pressed to the area of application to detect anything. All of this leaves me very wary of spending high dollars for anything else from the house.

Sadly, reports are now mounting of progressive watering down of Amouages. The most striking to my nose are Homage and Lyric woman, now bland orange blossoms. Ubar and Gold had been changed long ago, though at least a few years ago, they were still very good.

I have not smelled the recent iterations of masculines, so I cannot comment on them. But evogel's post doesn't come as a surprise, and makes me sad.

cacio

Not for me. Mine have been solid.

I heard a lot of grumbling about Red Vetyver. Very sad - was a great fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    I can say that my new bottle of Epic is a weakling. It lasts a good long while but 15-18 sprays of it will not do any harm and from what I've read, this would have knocked out a 5 block radius.
    Yes. If you would even consider more than 3 sprays of this, then it cannot be the same Epic Man that I have.

IMO, Gold has been altered but I think this is a universal truth. It has been toned down but I'm not sure about watered down/weaker.

I also have a fairly new bottle of Memoir and from what I read, this one should prove stronger than what I experience. It is more potent than Epic for me but still, nothing like I thought it would be.

Now, my current bottle of Interlude is of nuclear strength. Is that perhaps because it's too new to have been altered???

Lastly, a test of Jubilation XXV proves it to be a lightweight on my skin. It quickly becomes a skin scent though it does last. I need to have my nose pressed to the area of application to detect anything. All of this leaves me very wary of spending high dollars for anything else from the house.

What jubilation did you get ... jubilation 25 or XXV...maybe they gave you 25(Women) instead of XXV(men's ) . My XXV , which I got from Steve (splitter in basenotes (20ml)) , whom purchased it from MinNy is A horse kicking Mustang....one spray in the chest is enough, 2 sprays and I would be a walking radioActive drone ...btw, I just got this split from Steve about 6 or so weeks ago....Go figure
    Last edited by magnus611; 20th December 2013 at 04:57 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I bought my bottle of Epic Man this year and I can tell ya it is a monster on projection, sillage, and longevity on me.

Jubilation XXV is a tricky one I thought it was horrible with the projection and longevity but it was mostly olfactory fatigue on my part.

Out of my 18 bottles of Amouage, Memoir Man is probably the weakest on my skin.

I think it's hard to say something is positively watered down as our sense of smell does change. This goes for any fragrance that is rumored to have been reformulated or watered down. The best course of action would be to reach out to the company and ask them if this is true. Now a company might not give you the answer you'd like but why not ask the source.

I don't think new releases are on the weak side take a look at Opus VII it is a beast of a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev320 View Post
    I bought my bottle of Epic Man this year and I can tell ya it is a monster on projection, sillage, and longevity on me.

Jubilation XXV is a tricky one I thought it was horrible with the projection and longevity but it was mostly olfactory fatigue on my part.

Out of my 18 bottles of Amouage, Memoir Man is probably the weakest on my skin.

I think it's hard to say something is positively watered down as our sense of smell does change. This goes for any fragrance that is rumored to have been reformulated or watered down. The best course of action would be to reach out to the company and ask them if this is true. Now a company might not give you the answer you'd like but why not ask the source.

I don't think new releases are on the weak side take a look at Opus VII it is a beast of a fragrance.
    I can compare my two bottles of Ubar 'though - one purchased when it was initially re-released & the other purchased either last year or the year before - they are very different indeed.
    I have probably bored the socks off too many people already about the changes in Homage - not my faulty memory either.

For this reason, I'm happy to investigate new releases but am rationing & not replacing the older ones.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I can compare my two bottles of Ubar 'though - one purchased when it was initially re-released & the other purchased either last year or the year before - they are very different indeed.
    I have probably bored the socks off too many people already about the changes in Homage - not my faulty memory either.

For this reason, I'm happy to investigate new releases but am rationing & not replacing the older ones.
    It seems that most of the complaints I read about Amouage being reformulated are the female fragrances. If I remember someone asked Montale about possible watering down and they stated the percentage of perfume oil did decrease. If I am wrong please correct me.

I was not impressed with the sample of Homage I tried. It seemed very plain compared to Tribute attar.

The old Homage was very nice indeed but quite different from that marketed since a bit after the red boxes came in.

I own the original Ubar, never tried the new version. But reading notes and reviews, it actually seems like a different fragrance altogether.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

Reporting from the scene at Siam Paragon where that member said 'he tried Jub XXV & it smelled watered down", there is no Jub XXV tester, it is Dia Man tester, besides there is no Jub XXV box here.

But it is really cheaper here.

According to the SA, some tester are not arrived yet.

-now drinking tea at Harrods Tea Room-

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wit_Siamese; 26th July 2014 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks for the info., Wit - enjoy the tea!

I had a similar experience at department stores a few months ago, and I posted a thread about it. I could swear that some of the scents were weaker. This merely confirms my suspicions. If a high-quality house such as Amouage is doing it, then definitely, the others are, too. I suspect some of it is driven by profit-making, but I also suspect that the IFRA regulations are causing reductions in certain materials, and it is easier to dilute the entire fragrance to reach the target amount of the regulated material than to re-formulate with different materials.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I had a similar experience at department stores a few months ago, and I posted a thread about it. I could swear that some of the scents were weaker. This merely confirms my suspicions. If a high-quality house such as Amouage is doing it, then definitely, the others are, too. I suspect some of it is driven by profit-making, but I also suspect that the IFRA regulations are causing reductions in certain materials, and it is easier to dilute the entire fragrance to reach the target amount of the regulated material than to re-formulate with different materials.
    Gold man has gone pass serious reformulations.

Legend has it that it was much more dirty than it is now.

And I swear that my Epic Man I bought recently smell lighter than the decant I got a years ago,

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    Not for me. Mine have been solid.
    Same here, all my FB's I own are strong - Interlude & Epic are monstrous...Same with Tribute attar, sometimes even at the time of application, it's so strong that I have to keep my nose away...Lasts a day +, posts from other BN saying you can smell it after a shower are true, at least with Tribute.

I thought Jubilation died really quickly too-- less than 4 hours if I remember. Then I wore it last week and got a solid 6-8 hours IN WINTER. I don't know...one year between wears and the strength is noticeably better. I have the small sample bottle by the way (the little Amouage atomisers you get in a black case).

Epic died quick on me too. I haven't wrote it recently though.

It might be olfactory fatigue, it might just be spotty longevity. Some fragrances are like that. I generally get good longevity on fragrances, inluding Creed MIllesime Imperiale which is known to be short lived, perhaps due to my oily skin oily skin = fewer wrinkles too, so that's a win-win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post
    I thought Jubilation died really quickly too-- less than 4 hours if I remember. Then I wore it last week and got a solid 6-8 hours IN WINTER. I don't know...one year between wears and the strength is noticeably better. I have the small sample bottle by the way (the little Amouage atomisers you get in a black case).

Epic died quick on me too. I haven't wrote it recently though.

It might be olfactory fatigue, it might just be spotty longevity. Some fragrances are like that. I generally get good longevity on fragrances, inluding Creed MIllesime Imperiale which is known to be short lived, perhaps due to my oily skin oily skin = fewer wrinkles too, so that's a win-win.
    I also have oily skin. Epic Man last quit a long time on me, but JubXXV always gives me disappearing acts, on cold days I also get better longevity.

IMO, Amouage has reformulated their offerings like other perfume companies.

This really isn't an accurate measurement, but I have a 10mL decant of Jubilation XXV from about a year ago and that is absolutely nuclear on me (24+ hours), and my bottle of Jubilation XXV I recently purchased is not quite as potent, but I hesitate to give it a number since I've only worn it a few times.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Jubilation XXV
    - full bottle from years ago: 3 sprays = huge longevity. great impact (right from the beginning; not just after a few years of "mellowing out")
    - full bottle from beginning of 2012: 3 sprays = gone in some hours, density of the fragrance seems to lack, thinner, one-dimensional

Because of this experience I've decided to not invest into other Amouage fragrances.

It's a pretty common problem now.
    These days, it's probably worth checking a bit before replacing bottles from any large brand.

Hope that's not the case. These fragrances cost too much!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Hope that's not the case. These fragrances cost too much!
    Unfortunately, most perfume companies reformulate their creations to match IFRA's restrictions or cut down the cost or run out of the raw material.

Amouage are still potent, but they are also different than what we have in the past like someone mentioned in this thread and many thread in BN.

Change is inevitable, everything need change. No matter what we want it or not.
    Last edited by Wit_Siamese; 9th February 2014 at 02:59 AM.

I would bet money on a reformulation of jub xxv. I have some from a guy that sold the last 10 ml or so from his bottle and it's a beast of juice. Especially the opening. ..last longer...richer...deeper...fuller scent. I decided to buy a fb after using this juice and sadly my fb lacks the potency of my older juice. It still smells the same only weaker.

still great juice...However if it were full retail i would be offering my complaint letter to headquarters

Hm. I read this thread with concern, as I bought my bottle of Jubilation XXV in 2013 after sampling it a number of times and finally falling for it. I've noticed that it indeed seems subdued, but also that the projection seems tricky -- coworkers compliment me on it hours later after I've stopped smelling it strongly. So I do think olfactory fatigue is a real player with this one. At the same time, I have to agree that I've noticed a disappearing act. But I've seen people say that about this fragrance for a while, so maybe that's just inherent to the materials used, rather than that there was a serious reformulation?

It's possibly just due to compliance issues, in common with many other fragrances on the market.

And some will be more affected than others, depending on what's in them.

Interlude is huge, Fate is not exactly shy - when the perfumers know what they can use it's less of a problem. The older stuff that may have been reliant on specific ingredients that are now restricted are the ones that suffer - not just at Amouage, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by wit_siamese View Post
    unfortunately, most perfume companies reformulate their creations to match iff's restrictions.....
    IFRA

Why the hell are all my capital letters turinng into small ones when I post?
    Last edited by pluran; 6th February 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Tried my Jubilation XXV again last night, just to get more perspective in light of this thread. I had the experience I've had with it before, where I get a blast at first (sprayed twice on my arm), then seemingly nothing. But the rest of the evening, when I moved around, it was right there (smelling beautiful, too). This morning when I woke up it was still there, though faded of course, in the crook of my arm. So I don't think the basic potency of this one is an issue. Instead I think there's a component used which leads to real olfactory fatigue. Sometimes when I wear it, it seems huge and present, and other times I go for hours without smelling it even though coworkers notice it (and offer compliments). I suspect this is more what's at play rather than a weakening reformulation.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ifra

why the hell are all my capital letters turning into small ones when i post?
    Sorry, Pluran - just tested it (IFRA) and it's not happening to me.
    Is it only on one device?

I have just received a bottle of Epic Man from Fragrancenet (so not certain of how recent the production is), and it seems slightly different than the tester at Scent Bar and not as strong as two year old factory samples.
    Naturally, there are no top notes left in the factory samples but they are still quite full and rich. I am concerned that the new bottle may be watered down, however, I recall going through this with a fresh bottle of Memoir purchased from Lucky Scent a few years back. It took a month or two after the first spray for it to reach full potency. It smells fantastic now. I truly hope that this is the case and that this is a web scare. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
    Epic Man
    Memoir Man
    Zino
    Heritage
    Ambre Sultan
    Tobacco Vanille
    Bois Du Portugal
    Patchouly Noir

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone. Lots of love to you all.
    I am coming out of hiding to say this.
    I just bought a 100 ml bottle of Amouage Gold Woman from Luckyscent.
    Compared to the Gold Woman I had bought even in 2013.. this new bottle is weaker.
    No kidding I sprayed myself 10 times this evening ( ....I should be dead by now ..by old Amouage standards ) .
    It is watered down - probably again since 2013.
    I have noticed that my new Gold Woman is made in UK ( on the bottom of the box ) and no longer do you get the handwritten note inside the box that said " Hand packed for you by ...."
    I don't know if Amouage have always made their fragrances in UK. But this reminded me of P & G making Patou's Joy in UK. ( Nothing against Uk of course but I find it odd )

I am quite annoyed to pay $355 for the Gold I know and expect to get something quite shockingly weak .
    Rant over.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I just bought a 100 ml bottle of Amouage Gold Woman from Luckyscent.
    Compared to the Gold Woman I had bought even in 2013.. this new bottle is weaker.
    No kidding I sprayed myself 10 times this evening ( ....I should be dead by now ..by old Amouage standards ) .
    It is watered down - probably again since 2013.
    I have noticed that my new Gold Woman is made in UK ( on the bottom of the box ) and no longer do you get the handwritten note inside the box that said " Hand packed for you by ...."
    I don't know if Amouage have always made their fragrances in UK. But this reminded me of P & G making Patou's Joy in UK. ( Nothing against Uk of course but I find it odd )

I am quite annoyed to pay $355 for the Gold I know and expect to get something quite shockingly weak .
    Rant over.
    Thanks Mimi. I feel your pain, that is terribly sad to hear about Gold Woman as well. Are you going to return it? I returned the Epic Man and wrote an email to the Amouage rep stating my concern, have not heard back of course.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Oh my, look what the cat dragged in. Welcome back Ms. Mimi.

Hope all is well with you. You going to stay around a little bit?

Yet another sad news from the Amouage front. I dare not even think what Gold man could be now.

If it is possible to return it, it seems a great idea. Not that they'd care, but there's no point in adding to Amouage's profits for inferior products.

cacio

Ouch, Mimi

These days it's hit and miss . . . with any stuff on the counter I tend to check (as best I can) whether the tester (or samples if they have them) and the stock are from the same 'batch'. Generally the tester has been sitting there 'ripening in the sun' for a few months (or years) and the stock is more recent. Pointing this out to SA's is an exercise in futility, of course.

Ordering long distance is getting very risky - it's really a shame. Sorry to hear about your latest disappointment, Mimi - sad.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Oh my Mimi, sorry to hear about your unpleasant fragrance experience, but overjoyed to have you among us again!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Oh my Mimi, sorry to hear about your unpleasant fragrance experience, but overjoyed to have you among us again!
    Likewise!

Basenotes Institution

Hi everyone - thank you for your thoughts and replies !

Update :
    I could not stand it any longer and called Luckyscent and spoke to Carlos. Poor guy had to listen to me rant about how pissed I am . So I am returning the bottle to Luckyscent and getting a refund. In 6 years of buying from Luckyscent it is a real shame that this is the first time I have to return anything to them . It is not their fault.
    Bloody EU regulations ..will kill all our perfumes .
    No more Gold .... boo hoo ......

On the other hand I can say Ormonde Woman EDP - in their new bottles( I got the 120 EDP of Woman ) - is tremendous . As Amouage have watered down , OJ seem to have increased their strength, longevity and sillage is great. On the website it says the EDP have 30 % perfume oils in them .
    Now if the 'EU -whatsit- red tape- beaurocrats' read this...... OJ are probably doomed .....

***Mr Christopher Chong - should you happen to browse the internet looking for thoughts on Amoauge .. please read this. Your *new* direction appears to be one of 'watering down' . I for one, am not impressed.

Well done!

OJ likely is not (yet) watering down because their bases are made of modern synthetics (Geza Schoen), which likely aromachemical companies make good profits on. But of course, with IFRA, one can never say...

Some of Amouage post IFRA stuff is rather strong (eg, Interlude, fate), likely the perfumers shifted to currently unrestricted synthetics. But the classics have mostly gone.

caico

Hi everyone - thank you for your thoughts and replies !

Update :
    I could not stand it any longer and called Luckyscent and spoke to Carlos. Poor guy had to listen to me rant about how pissed I am . So I am returning the bottle to Luckyscent and getting a refund. In 6 years of buying from Luckyscent it is a real shame that this is the first time I have to return anything to them . It is not their fault.
    Bloody EU regulations ..will kill all our perfumes .
    No more Gold .... boo hoo ......

On the other hand I can say Ormonde Woman EDP - in their new bottles( I got the 120 EDP of Woman ) - is tremendous . As Amouage have watered down , OJ seem to have increased their strength, longevity and sillage is great. On the website it says the EDP have 30 % perfume oils in them .
    Now if the 'EU -whatsit- red tape- beaurocrats' read this...... OJ are probably doomed .....

***Mr Christopher Chong - should you happen to browse the internet looking for thoughts on Amoauge .. please read this. Your *new* direction appears to be one of 'watering down' . I for one, am not impressed.
    Hey, Mimi!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but I'm glad you were refunded.

Another once great niche house goes down the pan but I was long expecting it.

Yes, Mr Chong has certainly lost the plot, irrespective of restrictions.

Well, if nothing else, such threads make me glad I spent more time than I would have liked "vintage hunting" in recent years! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, if nothing else, such threads make me glad I spent more time than I would have liked "vintage hunting" in recent years! LOL.
    And I've always admired your proactive approach.

Blog Entries

There are a few that are still great (hold your breath). One that comes to mind is Houbigant Aperçu. ​Still available on the Internet, affordable and as glorious a floral chypre as any you're likely to find.

One of my favourite eshops (I have like half of my collection from them and they definitely are not fakes) started selling Amouages, Lutens, Montales and L Artisans (for example) for a very low price. (120 euros for 100ml of Amouage is LOW price). I am suspecting that:

1. All of this companies reformulated their juices and lowered prices just so they are more available to public
    or
    2. They made cheaper versions for western market
    or
    3. Market has been flooded with fakes
    TOP 5 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus
    4. Creed Millesime Imperial
    5. Azzaro Chrome Sport

TOP 5 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme Intense
    4. Dior Homme
    5. Byredo 1996

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    One of my favourite eshops (I have like half of my collection from them and they definitely are not fakes) started selling Amouages, Lutens, Montales and L Artisans (for example) for a very low price. (120 euros for 100ml of Amouage is LOW price). I am suspecting that:

1. All of this companies reformulated their juices and lowered prices just so they are more available to public
    or
    2. They made cheaper versions for western market
    or
    3. Market has been flooded with fakes
    Probably number one.

I'm sure many of the respectable niche houses start out with the best intentions. But, when the money really starts rolling in...

Basenotes Institution

Cacio, Kumquat, Trebor, Bigsly , Off Scenter ( he's back yay ! ) , Teardrop , Jon - I miss you. I miss everyone but I am obsessing over something else as well as perfume so my time is really kind of restricted.
    I returned the bottle and Andrea sent me an email saying they will either refund my money or replace the bottle * depending * on testing their stock .
    I am sort of insulted but also understanding of their position. Could be my nose is off but..... I trust my nose.

As you said Trebor... when the money starts rolling in ........ Hmmmmmmmm

Very impressed with the OJ though . Actually got to speak with Linda on the phone too . Double Woot !

Mimi, you should not feel bad about returning the bottle. If they'd announced the changes? Then maybe they'd have a point. But they are pretending they're selling the same stuff they always were, and they aren't. I wonder if people in the ME can still get the original version?

i have never owned the original Lyric, but I have an anecdote for you. I recently bought a decant of Lyric, based on my serious like of Lyric a few years ago. My decant didn't smell much like rose, but I'd heard the rumors, so I layered it with a drop of SSS Velvet Rose.

The Velvet Rose (one drop) kicked Lyric's hiney all over the room, and I used about 6 sprays of Lyric. OTOH, the combo smelled good.
    Last edited by Redhorse; 5th August 2014 at 12:15 AM.

Mimi, just come back to us when you're ready.

[B]
    I returned the bottle and Andrea sent me an email saying they will either refund my money or replace the bottle * depending * on testing their stock .
    I am sort of insulted but also understanding of their position. Could be my nose is off but..... I trust my nose.
    And how exactly are they going to 'test their stock', without compromising the unopened condition of the bottles they're selling? Maybe a sample bottle from the same batch (if they have all the relevant details) but that means they'll then be two bottles down.

A lot of people here know about it but most don't, and if they do they don't know the extent of it. It affects some of them a lot more than others. Just because they might seem as "strong" doesn't mean the stuff is as good. Not even close. There are all kinds of cheap and plentiful aromachemicals used to increase diffusive capacity, longevity, etc. Things like the intricately balanced Amouage Gold can never withstand EU / IFRA regulations. The new Gold Man is still decent but it's harder and flatter. Either way, the Amouage fragrances are still a hell of a lot more interesting and satisfying than the average Creed, etc. Interlude Man and others are substantial, but the "substance" comes more from those simple power-giving aromachemicals than the real complexity they would have without EU / IFRA restrictions. There's nothing they can do to sufficiently camouflage what's missing.

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

I'd return anything that doesn't smell right. If the stuff has changed then you should be made aware of it about it before you buy it. It's out of control, but people want new things. New niche houses popping up every two weeks making whole lines of half-baked dreck at $200+ a bottle. As Palm Apodaca said in Five Easy Pieces, "....I had to leave this place because I got depressed seeing all the crap. And the thing is, they're making more crap, you know. They got so many stores and stuff and junk full of crap. I can't believe it...Who? Man, that's who. Pretty soon, there won't be any room for man. They're selling more crap that people go and buy than you can imagine. Crap. I believe everybody should have a big hole where they throw the stuff in and burn it.....
    selling you crap and more crap and more crap. And I - I don't know. I don't know. I don't even want to talk about it..." :
    Last edited by pluran; 5th August 2014 at 08:15 PM.

Whatever its worth I received a sample of Gold Man today from LuckyScent. I still don't like the scent but I am impressed with the performance. I washed my arm twice with *dish washing soap and I can still smell it wafting from my arm 9 hours later.

I have no idea what version I got old cap/new cap....just thought I'd share.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    A lot of people here know about it but most don't, and if they do they don't know the extent of it. It affects some of them a lot more than others. Just because they might seem as "strong" doesn't mean the stuff is as good. Not even close. There are all kinds of cheap and plentiful aromachemicals used to increase diffusive capacity, longevity, etc...
    This is what I think happened to so many of the vintage greats that are still being produced.

I don't know about the vintage ones and maybe that's just for the best. I still really enjoy the line now but I understand if you don't get the same product as you used to, you are left with a bad feeling. And definitely at this price point.