Code of Conduct

Default YOSH - Konig Feedback and thoughts

I'm starting this thread again since the huddler one is still not available... If you have access to this fragrance please give us your feedback

Konig Notes (from luckyscent):
    Aromatic bitters, sage, cypress, apple, smoky papyrus, snow flowers, bois d’landes, vetiver, white musc, saddle leather, amber, firewood

Dependent

Default Re: YOSH - Konig Feedback and thoughts

I just ordered some samples at Luckyscent. I can't wait to try it!

It's a bit strange because it looks like the release of "König" is delayed. Full bottles are still not available, only samples.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Vinyl can suck my Discman
    Currently wearing: L'Oudh by Tauer

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Luckyscent has included a free sample of this in a purchase I recently made from them. Will arrive on Monday. Didn't have any previous info about this and they asked if I would be interested in trying something new, so I said yes.

(1957)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

There's a little bit of info here
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...iew-Yosh-Konig

Dependent

I received a sample and to be honest I am disappointed. I expected something truly outstanding, I mean it's not bad, but simply not what I expected. Since I am from Bavaria I love the whole background-story and I love the name "König" (German for "King"), but the background-story can also be a bit misleading because it says "black Bavarian forest" which could be mistaken for the famous "Black Forest" which is in Baden-Württemberg and not in Bavaria.

"König" smells a bit like "Encre Noire" with some apples. The apple-note is not sweet, it's more like those green and refreshing apples, so it actually adds some coolness and freshness to the scent. It has a nice dry and smoky wood-note, but also like "Encre Noire" this synthetic smelling so-called "White Musk" which I dislike and I think there is also a hefty dose of Iso E Super in it. It has sharper edges than "Encre Noire" and it smells a bit more natural, but is still quite synthetic.

All in all it's okay but nothing groundbreaking. I expected a barbaric medieval king in a dark castle, but it smells more like Neuschwanstein!

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    I received a sample and to be honest I am disappointed. I expected something truly outstanding, I mean it's not bad, but simply not what I expected. Since I am from Bavaria I love the whole background-story and I love the name "König" (German for "King"), but the background-story can also be a bit misleading because it says "black Bavarian forest" which could be mistaken for the famous "Black Forest" which is in Baden-Württemberg and not in Bavaria.

"König" smells a bit like "Encre Noire" with some apples. The apple-note is not sweet, it's more like those green and refreshing apples, so it actually adds some coolness and freshness to the scent. It has a nice dry and smoky wood-note, but also like "Encre Noire" this synthetic smelling so-called "White Musk" which I dislike and I think there is also a hefty dose of Iso E Super in it. It has sharper edges than "Encre Noire" and it smells a bit more natural, but is still quite synthetic.

All in all it's okay but nothing groundbreaking. I expected a barbaric medieval king in a dark castle, but it smells more like Neuschwanstein!
    Nice review - thank you. I am planning on getting a sample of this soon. You grabbed by attention with "Encre Noire with some apples".

I'm holding out my fully-formed opinion until I try it several times, but I really do like the fresh green apple, which is very similar to the leaves of lemon verbena, which creates a novel lead-in to the vetiver heart. The vetiver is smoky and kind of fools you into thinking it's a leather, much in the way Le Labo's Cuir 28 does for me.

There's definitely nothing off-putting about it, and I am giving this one a strong benefit of the doubt because of my respect for Yosh and my love for Sombre Negre.

I sampled several times. Lackluster to say the least. It's one the notes make you love it, but the smell doesn't quite get there.

I bought this fragrance the other day but have not open the sample vial yet...
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I sampled several times. Lackluster to say the least. It's one the notes make you love it, but the smell doesn't quite get there.
    I think I know what you mean. "König" failed to move me in any way. I wish I could say that I love it, I would be even happy if I could say that I hate it. Objectively there is nothing wrong with "König", but it triggers no emotions in me. It's just a nice scent, nothing more - but maybe that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hoschhti View Post
    I think I know what you mean. "König" failed to move me in any way. I wish I could say that I love it, I would be even happy if I could say that I hate it. Objectively there is nothing wrong with "König", but it triggers no emotions in me. It's just a nice scent, nothing more - but maybe that's enough.
    Exactly! I think if Yosh would add some steroids this could be a winner. Come on Ms.Han, give us something that spells "MAN", not man.

Sound Scents

For me it comes off as medicinal and balmy early, resembling sterilized first aid gauze right out of its pouch. All this with some slightly citric tart apple at the open slowly adding in leathery vetiver-driven woods late. The early developing medicinal aspect just does not work for me at all. Not a good one, IMO.
    Last edited by drseid; 9th January 2014 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Slight tweaks...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Count me among the disappointed. I am a big Sombre Negre fan and had high hopes. To me there is something like a cypress/Iso E Super accord (reminds me somehow of Terre d'Hermes) laid over burnt wood. I'm fine with weird juxtapositions, but this does not work for me. Also seems weak and short-lived. Took 5 or 6 sprays to the chest and gone within a few hours.

I must be the only one who adores this. I can understand the ambivalence from the reviewers though. Konig's in no way a challenging scent. It's easy to understand and inoffensive. I think that alone will probably turn off a lot of the people here, because, let's face it...we're basenoters because we love challenging, different, unique scents we want to wrap our heads around.

When I first tried Konig, I had a similar reaction to other reviewers here: Very nice and I do enjoy it, but where's the payoff? I was initially disappointed. I gave it a quick smell a few weeks later, and I thought to myself, "Damn, that's really good, but it's still too ordinary. I wish there was something more to it."

Well, I pulled it out again this past week, and I've simply fallen in love with it this time. It's an easy, unchallenging scent, but that in no way makes it a simple one. There's definitely a relation to Encre Noire, but it's not as biting and it rounds out gorgeously. I adore Encre Noire, but Konig is just SO EASY to smell and smell and keep smelling it...it's a scent that draws you in and you just want more. It's an easy scent to like, but it still smells niche. It smells expensive, which is a term I hate to use, but I don't know how else to describe it.

I can see why someone mentioned apples. It has something a little sweet and fruity, but this is generally not a sweet fragrance. It's like a more well-rounded, less in your face Encre Noire...like Konig is the valiant hero to EN's wicked step-brother. They're both tall, dark, and handsome, but EN is a little twisted and brooding.

It's a scent I believe you could recommend to a non-fragrance-crazed person, and they'd be extremely pleased with it. But, I still find it incredibly satisfying and unique. To this nose, it's about as versatile as they come. It's also a major attention-getter. In the short time I've been wearing it, I've received inquiries and compliments with greater frequency than I can think I've gotten from any other scent. I don't generally like scents that shout my presence, and I asked the people who stopped me whether it seemed like it was too strong or I'd put too much on. They all thought it was perfect exactly as is, and just went gaga over it.

I sampled it about a week ago. The smoke and woody aromas are right up my alley. The apple note is fresh and clean. I also enjoy this one. My bottle arrived yesterday. I will also now try Sombre Negra.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Basenotes Plus

Yes, Konig feels quite simple. But it's got a real crisp and sparkling quality to it. You get a smokey vetiver note when you smell it up close, and a crisp apple note from the sillage. To me it's got a really addictive sillage that draws you close and you just want to smell it over and over again. The smell is familiar but there's something in it that keeps you interested. It's simple yet intriguing if that make any sense.

I think this is better than Sombre Negra.