Code of Conduct

Default Bleu de Chanel smells very similar to...

Tsar by Van Cleef and Arpels. Anybody else thinks so?

Default Re: Bleu de Chanel smells very similar to...

Personally that would not have entered my mind. I do like Tsar though. They seem different to me.

(1908)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Metallic piss. I need to sell my bottle.......
    I smell marshmallows!

I hated this fragrance when it came out but I like it now probably because all the designer fragrances currently are so blah. The citrus and incense notes are very nice and this fragrance lasts and projects well too.

I have never smelled anything that is similar to Bleu de Chanel.

No there's no resemblance.

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I'll have to give it a try and see what you mean! There could be a kind of similarity of styles - I have noted one between Bleu de Chanel and Creed Himalaya. I never really got that earlier, but lately, I've been getting into Himalaya, and I totally get what Creed was up to with that fragrance. They both share a basic "fresh oriental" format, where some more standard motifs from orientals are buried under a blanket of cool, fresh notes. I think I must have really liked that aspect of Bleu, because I'm falling pretty hard for Himalaya now.

I don't think Tsar smells like Bleu de Chanel.

"Bleu de Chanel smells very similar to..." something I would run away from.
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    ...I have noted one between Bleu de Chanel and Creed Himalaya. I never really got that earlier, but lately, I've been getting into Himalaya, and I totally get what Creed was up to with that fragrance. They both share a basic "fresh oriental" format, where some more standard motifs from orientals are buried under a blanket of cool, fresh notes. I think I must have really liked that aspect of Bleu, because I'm falling pretty hard for Himalaya now.
    This. I came here to say just this - well, nowhere near as well as RP just did though. I wore Bleu one day, Himalaya the next - wife asked "You're wearing a scent twice in a row? Who are you?" and it hit me; they really are quite similar yet different. Same family though - just read what RP wrote. I can't do justice to the notes and families like that... yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    This. I came here to say just this - well, nowhere near as well as RP just did though. I wore Bleu one day, Himalaya the next - wife asked "You're wearing a scent twice in a row? Who are you?" and it hit me; they really are quite similar yet different. Same family though - just read what RP wrote. I can't do justice to the notes and families like that... yet.
    Scientific confirmation - even more awesome! I wasn't actually completely sure that my nose or my head wasn't playing some kind of trick on me, but between you and your wife, that settles it - they really are similar.

And that, TBH, is a point for Creed. Bleu de Chanel earned my respect, but I'll be dam*ed - Creed was there first! I had no idea. LOL - don't tell the n00bs and the Creed-bots - we'll never hear the end of it!

To me, it smells similar to the Allure series. I've always thought it should have been called Allure Bleu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    To me, it smells similar to the Allure series. I've always thought it should have been called Allure Bleu.
    Totally should have been in that series. I agree completely - it was in many ways an extension of the line.

The Allure series have that tonka bean base that gives them that "Allure" signature.

Bleu is NOT an extension of that signature in my opinion.

I also love the incense in Bleu, another exclusive that sets it apart as well.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I don't see the similarities with Tsar, but agreed on Himalaya. Bleu is my least favorit from CHANEL though..

Blog Entries

I was reminded of the old thread where we discovered this baby. MAN - does that bring back memories!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252...-New-fragrance

The closest to Bleu I have found is Salvatore Ferragamo's Acqua Essenziale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer1 View Post
    Thanks - I'll have to give that one a try!

Recently figured out that "Black is Black Sport" is a Bleu knockoff. There was an opened box of one at Marshalls so I decided to spray some on the box flap for the lulz... instantly thought 'BdC' - surprisingly they cloned the top notes pretty well. Didn't stick around for mid or base though... this is what it looks like:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Is-Bla...-/360793048414

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    +1...either have I
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Navyy8 View Post
    +1...either have I
    That's because you haven't tried Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale. Extremely similar.

By the way the new Zegna Uomo smells like a milder version of Bleu without the richness of Bleu's dry down.

While not similar in my opinion, they both have a common feature: a smooth, casual interpretation of fresh citrus notes.

Hawaiian Punch...seriously
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

i have never smelled anything that is similar to bleu de chanel.
    x2

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    totally agree!

btw I often wear Tsar and I can't smell any similarities at all!

Call me crazy but the first time I smelled Bleu du Chanel, the top instantly reminded me of the Polo Sport deodorant I used to wear in the late 90s. That said, I haven't smelled Polo Sport in over 10 years...

The only thing I've found even remotely similar to Bleu de Chanel is a fragrance called Nickel Enemy, they both have the grapefruit/incense thing going on.. but they dry down completely different.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    By the way the new Zegna Uomo smells like a milder version of Bleu without the richness of Bleu's dry down.
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Tried Zegna Uomo a few weeks ago - did not care for it one bit. I did not find any similarities to Bleu, either. I can rock Bleu any day of the week, Uomo - you'd have to torture me to spray it on my skin.

Nooooo wayyyyy! Maybe Aventus a tidddy bidddy
    Last edited by magnus611; 21st December 2013 at 07:35 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by bimmer1 View Post
    Agreed

Basenotes Plus

I really, really, really want to understand (not to mention, enjoy) Blue de Chanel. On my skin, the three or four times I have worn it it just feels muddled, hard to differentiate, and dull. I think what I need to do, just for the "learning process" is get another sample, and spend some time with it AND consciously try to detect each of the listed notes. FOr the life of me, I have been able to pick out nothing in the past wearings.

Basenotes Plus

;-)

I found Bleu a little generic when it first came out, so I let it be for a year or so. Then I tried it again. Then it clicked. Now I enjoy it, and find it perfectly nice and wearable. The name is misleading, it should have been called Verte, not Bleu, perhaps with that name it wouldn't make people think about aquatics and sport colognes - which this one is not. And pretty darn unique if you ask me, despite some comments from people calling it "generic." It's surprisingly rich and not a copy cat of everything else already on the market.

Definitely do give it another try, it's an overlooked gem, if you ask me.

YSL's L'Homme Libre is hands down the closest scent I've ever smelt to Bleu
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    I really, really, really want to understand (not to mention, enjoy) Blue de Chanel. On my skin, the three or four times I have worn it it just feels muddled, hard to differentiate, and dull. I think what I need to do, just for the "learning process" is get another sample, and spend some time with it AND consciously try to detect each of the listed notes. FOr the life of me, I have been able to pick out nothing in the past wearings.
    I was in exactly the spot you are in, Rich. Your strategy will work, but go big when you look for those notes, because some of the best ones are small, ephemeral and intermittent. I recommend picking an afternoon when you are free of obligations to meet people, and literally spray yourself silly with the sample. Use it all up. That is how I made it work.

The problem with this fragrance, in my opinion, is that the main motif (interesting woody oriental fragrance buried under a wall of freshness) is problematic for a lot of people. Bleu has many interesting features, but they're like rocks under the snow. You have to increase the lighting to see their outline. Once you do, it can win you over. So amp it up. I got so frustrated, I sprayed 25 sprays to make stuff show up. It worked beautifully, and I was hooked.

I agree with remik that the name Bleu is misleading. There are some deep, intense, "oily wood" notes that evoke a dark blue vibe, and the freshness is a bit like an oceanic breeze. But that's about it. It doesn't really have the typical aquatic thing for me. I think that the marketing was very smart by playing up the urban night theme for the color, and not trying to put this baby on a boat, where it doesn't belong.

I also agree with TMF that Libre is Bleu-ish - I think that it was an attempt to grab a bit of Bleu's momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    My experience with BdC may be quite different from yours, but the first time I tried it was a quick spray in a Department store. I didn't care for it. AT ALL. Didn't understand the hype. One year later, I had forgotten what it was that made me not like it, so I purchased a sample from The Perfumed Court, along with a bunch of other things that I was going to order anyway. When I received it, I gave it a quick spray while at home. Instantly fell in love. Went out and bought a fill bottle at Nordstroms about an hour later (along with a bottle of Grey Vetiver which I was going there to grab anyway).

Anyway, I would suggest wearing it in a place far removed from all the other scents in the air. I am not sure why I didn't care for it now, but perhaps there was just too much going on in the store for me to really just focus on BdC. One of the few scents that I have done a complete reversal on. Hate to Love.

Quote Originally Posted by remik View Post
    ;-)

I found Bleu a little generic when it first came out, so I let it be for a year or so. Then I tried it again. Then it clicked. Now I enjoy it, and find it perfectly nice and wearable.

Pretty close to my experience as well.

I think people just wanted to hate this fragrance, like every other designer or sport release. If everyone gave it a chance when it first came out, they would have realized it's not the same generic crap that is so often cranked out of designer lines (Gucci.) Loved this one from the start with the grapefruit/incense...light peppery notes and vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Pretty close to my experience as well.
    :-)

I think you pretty much described to the dot what happens when I'm at a department store. With so much crap they have being sprayed over and over all day long and inadequate ventilation, the fragrance counter reeks like one homogeneous fragrance cloud, every scent intermingled, then mixed with the nearby lady powders, lipsticks, and girly perfumes, creating very undesirable scenario for trying to get the true scent of whatever fragrance it is you are there to try. I find it impossible to get true picture of anything at department stores, hence I tend to try even designer fragrances at home, where I'm not overwhelmed by 28,000 flankers of 1 Million, Le Male and The One in the air. That's why Bleu felt generic to me at the store when I first tried it, but when I later tried a sample at home, I was blown away by its beauty and quiet, refined simplicity.

About the only stores where I find it's possible to get the true scent of a fragrance are the single house boutiques, where you are not bombarded by all those other fragrances in the air - i.e.: Dior, Chanel, Guerlain, Frederick Malle, etc.

I find this to be a very very safe scent. Spray and go scent. Not my best scent but can be my rotation signature scent. Thumbs up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I think people just wanted to hate this fragrance, like every other designer or sport release. If everyone gave it a chance when it first came out, they would have realized it's not the same generic crap that is so often cranked out of designer lines (Gucci.) Loved this one from the start with the grapefruit/incense...light peppery notes and vetiver.
    Wish I would have gotten it to begin with. Even among the people who had high hopes for it, for many of us, they turned out to be the wrong hopes. There were just too many preconceptions of what it was "supposed to be", from the point of view of niche lovers and people who admired the older part of the line. If it would have come in something like Mark Jacobs Bang, or something equally grounded in typical niche stuff, it would have gotten respect here - although it probably would have bombed in the marketplace, too. Same for something that would have been too dated, right out of the box. I think Polge pulled one off, steering admirably between the Scylla of monstrous niche and the swirling Charybdis of the designer toilet bowl. And that, while avoiding the traditions of the numbered Chanel sirens who constantly threaten to emasculate the men's line, but hearing enough of their song to stay classy.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No connection to me

I really like Bleu. It's a fine scent that's safe for any occasion.

Wish I would have gotten it to begin with. Even among the people who had high hopes for it, for many of us, they turned out to be the wrong hopes. There were just too many preconceptions of what it was "supposed to be", from the point of view of niche lovers and people who admired the older part of the line. If it would have come in something like Mark Jacobs Bang, or something equally grounded in typical niche stuff, it would have gotten respect here - although it probably would have bombed in the marketplace, too. Same for something that would have been too dated, right out of the box. I think Polge pulled one off, steering admirably between the Scylla of monstrous niche and the swirling Charybdis of the designer toilet bowl. And that, while avoiding the traditions of the numbered Chanel sirens who constantly threaten to emasculate the men's line, but hearing enough of their song to stay classy.
    You'r right. I think Bleu de Chanel has been a huge success from Chanel, and I think it will be one of the best sellers for years to come. Quality never goes out of style. Just look at Allure Homme. It wasn't a "wow" scent either when it was released, but it has proven to be a classic and a very successful scent from Chanel. Polge did everything right with Allure. Wide appeal from old to young, extreemely versatile, a safe pleasant smell, and high quality. A safe recipe of success!

Very good raw materials in a hugely derivative made for the masses fragrance. Still, considerably better (higher quality) than other sterilized disinfectants such as Green Irish Tweed, etc.
    Last edited by pluran; 22nd December 2013 at 11:03 AM.

Blue smells similar to a certain genre of body gels and drug store deodorants that I recall mostly from the 90's. I can't pin down which ones exactly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    You'r right. I think Bleu de Chanel has been a huge success from Chanel, and I think it will be one of the best sellers for years to come. Quality never goes out of style. Just look at Allure Homme. It wasn't a "wow" scent either when it was released, but it has proven to be a classic and a very successful scent from Chanel. Polge did everything right with Allure. Wide appeal from old to young, extreemely versatile, a safe pleasant smell, and high quality. A safe recipe of success!
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Very good raw materials in a hugely derivative made for the masses fragrance. Still, considerably better (higher quality) than other sterilized disinfectants such as Green Irish Tweed, etc.
    Definitely! Chanel has always seemed to keep quality materials as their back-up strategy on any scent. Turin mentioned this with the cologne in the Allure line - he ended up giving it a single star, but grudgingly admitted that the basic construction was good - even the bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    Blue smells similar to a certain genre of body gels and drug store deodorants that I recall mostly from the 90's. I can't pin down which ones exactly.
    I think this may have been part of Octavian's horrified reaction to Bleu. Familiarity of a fragrance facet in a non-luxe setting seems to be a universal turn-off - unless you really loved that functional product! I have to admit that there are a couple of Febreze and Swiffer products that are so close to designer and niche fragrances, they shock me every time I use them.

Basenotes Plus

I have to admit that there are a couple of Febreze and Swiffer products that are so close to designer and niche fragrances, they shock me every time I use them.
    Dove makes one awesome body wash called "Extra Fresh" that I love to pieces. It's indeed fresh, invigorating, smells awesome, like a very good summery fragrance (smells like high grade ingredients, even though I'm pretty sure it's all aromachemicals), great pick-me-up in the morning in the shower. I sort of wish there was a fragrance that smelled just like it. Yes, yes, it would have to be a light, fresh, aquatic fragrance, so I'm going to get blasted for this, but there are days when I'd rather wear something like this than some heavy leather, amber, incense, or even vetiver fragrance. Here in the summer it gets to 120-125F on average day, and a refreshing scent like this would be awesome.

(I have tried couple other body washes from the Dove line, none came close to Extra Fresh in terms of quality that appeals to this discerning nose.)

Basenotes Plus

LOL, I should perhaps clarify... When I wrote Dove, I did not mean Roja Dove... I meant this: http://www.dove.us/Products/Men-Care...Face-Wash.aspx

I think its the pink pepper and that synthetic sorta toilet bowel cleaner smell that all the allure series and bleu de chanel also seems to have that is similar. I think its basically just your choice of what else you like on top of that , that makes one of them your favorite to me personally.

LOL, I should perhaps clarify... When I wrote Dove, I did not mean Roja Dove... I meant this: http://www.dove.us/Products/Men-Care...Face-Wash.aspx

Blog Entries

Dove makes one awesome body wash called "Extra Fresh" that I love to pieces. It's indeed fresh, invigorating, smells awesome, like a very good summery fragrance (smells like high grade ingredients, even though I'm pretty sure it's all aromachemicals), great pick-me-up in the morning in the shower. I sort of wish there was a fragrance that smelled just like it. Yes, yes, it would have to be a light, fresh, aquatic fragrance, so I'm going to get blasted for this, but there are days when I'd rather wear something like this than some heavy leather, amber, incense, or even vetiver fragrance. Here in the summer it gets to 120-125F on average day, and a refreshing scent like this would be awesome.

(I have tried couple other body washes from the Dove line, none came close to Extra Fresh in terms of quality that appeals to this discerning nose.)
    LOL!

I will have to check this out! Hey - these types of fragrances are made by perfumers who graduated from the same schools and work for the same companies as the people who do fine fragrances. They may actually be the same people at different points in their careers. To me, the fine fragrance players play a game more like chess, and the functional perfumers play a game more like go, but there is a certain mutual respect, because they both play against a set of demanding rules that stymie the perfumer's brain.

And don't give up on seeing a fine fragrance that is very close to your Dove body wash. There is a lot of cross-over, because perfumers get inspiration everywhere. Somebody may realize that it needs a ticket to the big time!

Same here. It's pretty unique.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Entirely different.

I own and wear Bleu and Tsar and I don't find them similar. I enjoy them both. At one time Tsar was my signature scent. I've moved on to numerous "signatures". When I can't decide what to wear, I often go to Bleu.

I just smelled this today. Is it me or does this smell like the Allure line? I swear they all smell the same generic way.

I tried Midnight in Paris yesterday, which I thought was a safe fragrance, but Bleu is so safe that I'm wondering why you'd even pay to wear this stuff? It's so forgettable.

Those are my initial impressions. I've had it on my arm for 1 hour. So far, I'm glad I only have 10ml to get through but let's hope it improves with further wearings.

Sent from my HTC One

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by badr View Post
    ... Bleu is so safe that I'm wondering why you'd even pay to wear this stuff? It's so forgettable.

Those are my initial impressions.
    This seems to be a recurring theme - many of us on BN who have tried Bleu at first thought it was "generic" and "forgettable." Something magical happens after you give it a try, though, perhaps couple wearings. Its vague familiarity with other scents is probably what draws the "generic" comments, but it turns out it is a very good fragrance, extremely unique, fits most people just fine, and first virtually any situation, location or dress code. It is on the safe side, yes, but it is far from generic. I didn't like it when I first tried it (I, too, thought it was somehow too safe), but then I gave it another try (it took me almost a full year between tests) and ended up buying a bottle on the spot. There's something casual yet elegant in it that I can't exactly describe, all I know it's a top notch release from Chanel and I'm glad I gave it another try. Love it.

Dude bleu of chanel is unique . I though kenzo sport smells similar but just the opening the drydown change to citrus