Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick year's end sniffs and re-sniffs: Appreciating my basenotes friends

I took some time today to try and organize the packages, boxes, prescription bottles, etc, into which various samples are not so much organized as stashed. I want to re-smell the bounties of this year, and think of the lovely people who sent me a bit of themselves when they sent the scents. I'll add to this thread as I sniff.

Tonight, I stayed up to watch Dog Day Afternoon on TCM, and decided to splash, sniff, and record a quick impression. Here they are:

•L wrist and back of hand—Guerlain Vega, courtesy of our Larimar: non-stop beautiful, aldehyde/ylang/sandalwood symphony. Bea*u*ti*ful. An absolute treasure.

•R wrist—from bogsc,Pheromone by Marilyn Miglin. Not getting hormones at all, rather very, very vegetal, but gamey vegetal. Ripened, medicinal chypre. Like a sexy herbal tonic.

•R crook of arm—also from bogsc, Botrytis. Ah, the "noble rot" that makes a Sauternes a Sauternes. Yes, winey, honeyed, and sweet. Wish I still had No Regrets to do a side-by-side. I love Sauternes, and I love this. Not a classic, but grand exuberant fun.

•Cleavage—Knize Ten from cacio. Wait—what? Tuberose? Rubbery, medicinal, gassy floral dominates even the famed leather. I quick put a drop of Fracas on a fingertip to doublecheck. I don't care what the pyramid says: I SMELL TUBIE! Androgynous in a Bandit fashion.

Earlier in the day I had donned Slumberhouse Norne, my own sample purchase, and felt quite Christmassy in its enveloping coniferous-ness. Later, I spritzed that patchouli bomb that is Serge Lutens Borneo 1834 from our forfreddie. I smell a similarity; I'll call it vegetal VOCs (volatile organic compounds). Either is a good gloom-chaser in this weather. They don't warm the winter but exhilarate in its chill.

Oddly, this extravagant applying patchwork-wise did not overwhelm me. I turned one way, smelt one scent; another way, another scent, and a chance to reminisce about the friendships I've forged here. Tomorrow, more sniffing, and more friends to remember this holiday season. (:
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quick year's end sniffs and re-sniffs: Appreciating my basenotes friends

What a lovely idea Jujy54! Basenoters are indeed very generous, knowledgeable people
    and I too value all my cyber perfume friends here on this site (Bless you again, Grant for enabling
    such things to happen!) Enjoy your sniffing memories and a Happy Christmas and New Year to you.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Default Re: Quick year's end sniffs and re-sniffs: Appreciating my basenotes friends

Lovely thought, jujy! When the new year is upon us, I'll get a few things together that I have kept myself reminding to send you a sample. Promise! Just not right now!

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, kewart and Larimar, thanks for stopping by.

today, the morning was all about mumsy with two brilliant oils: Mysore sandalwood, and heliotrope. The Mysore was true and woody, like the folding fans one used to purchase so easily in an import store. The heliotrope was "Lucretia Borgia bakes a pie"—cherry and cyanide, deliciously dangerous.

Afternoon was busy, with samples of unrecorded provenance (feeling guilty) as well as at least one from cacio, the magnificent Calandre, which starts cool rose and has one of my favorite qualities, "sneaky sillage" where it wafts up an hour later to delight me unbidden, sans conscious sniffing. The same can be said for vintage Halston EdC, 80s date night all the way. I get a lettuce vibe of all things, followed by peppery vinaigrette, which is not to say it smells like a salad (it doesn't), but that it suggests an evening of dressing up and fine dining. Rochester Highland Lilac was an absolutely true soliflore, welcome in wintertime.

The two Esteban chypres, Classic and Modern are certainly contemporary, the modern being the more interesting. Starts fruity/anisic like Mauboussin, finishes with an acidulated patchouli that suggests an unlit cigar. Like.

Now for a bath in my own purchase, the vintage Weil Secret de Venus bath oil. What shall I wear to listen to the Paul Wnter Consort radio broadcast of the solstice concert? Maybe more Weil. Maybe Cassandra.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have been sampling samples a lot this week also..
    you have to let them drydown to get a full appreciation of them..
    sometimes it takes 2-3 full wearings of them..

Bentley Intense yesterday
    Vanille Absolument tonight

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, Tony. Usually I gove a new fragrance three days in a row of exclusive wearing. This is just for fun, really. Quick impressions. Some, like the Calandre, do linger and develop. Others are more linear. I must have 70 to 100 little vials! How ever did that happen? (;

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Ejoying the bounty I received from PerfumedLady, earlier this year. Favorite so far from her thoughtful package is Niki de Saint Phalle, a green, green chypre which on first sniff recalled EL Private Collection for it's suave use of galbanum. Where it departs is with a pronounced artemesia note, and prominent rose.
    The top notes include in addition to galbanum and artemesia a distinct "crushed stem" note, but oh, those top notes are fleeting. I get some coriander, too, fleshing out the rose, resplendent against a backdrop of oakmoss. All in all a gorgeous, gorgeous green and rose chypre.