Code of Conduct

Default Les Liquides Imaginaires

Has anyone tried scents from this house? I do not find much info on them on either BN or Frangantica....

(I have ordered Fortis as a blind buy as the notes sounded so enticing... am hoping i won't be dissapointed.)

Edit: I finally received my bottle of Fortis! My initial impressions is that it is beautiful, smooth and enticing. Reminds me somewhat of Cuirs by Carner Barcelona though. Will come back with more comments after i have had a full wearing and after a side-to-side comparison with Cuirs.
    Last edited by Klaaon; 11th January 2014 at 06:59 AM.

Default Re: Les Liquides Imaginaires

Just the other day I sampled Fortis, and I am seriously tempted to purchase it. It is akin to Gao, less monotonous-nuclear but faceted instead - in short, it is superior to it.
    Un parfum doit avant tout sent bon. - Guy Robert -

On the EU's amendment to sharpen restrictions on fragrance allergens

Unfortunately the house of Xerjoff is not one I am familiar with.... Have only really got onto BN this summer and it is then when I really got more serious about frags.

But thanks for the response... It does sound promising!

How about the other scents from the house? Did you try them and if so, did anything stand out for you?

I've tried Bloody Wood and Bello Rabelo and they're both very nice. Have been looking at this house for a while now. Have also received samples of Fortis and Sancti - also very nice.

(1927)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Im very intrigued by this house. Apparently a big hit at Pitti this year. The Dom Rosa notes have me very intrigued. Their website is difficult for me to navigate through however.
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Quote Originally Posted by trex57 View Post
    Their website is difficult for me to navigate through however.
    Agree. Not the best laid out site. A sample of what you are interested can be gotten here:
    http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/les-li...-sanguine.html
    (1971)
    Last edited by hednic; 22nd December 2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I definitely look forward to receiving my FB of Fortis, which i ordered from Essenza Nobile! will give my impression when i receive it.

Hednic, i note that you just bought Bloody Wood - appreciate if i can have your views on it. (i know you have previously said its' very nice)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

I definitely look forward to receiving my FB of Fortis, which i ordered from Essenza Nobile! will give my impression when i receive it.

Hednic, i note that you just bought Bloody Wood - appreciate if i can have your views on it. (i know you have previously said its' very nice)
    As soon as I receive it, I'll share my thoughts.

(2094)

Looking forward! Always appreciate hearing your views, Hednic!

any new insights?
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

Bloody wood is a nice fruity, woody scent, that opens with a very soft floral rose (don't get the violet) note and then the sweet fruit seems to take over for most of its development until the it dries down into a pleasant sandalwood after a few hours. I find it to be well balanced.

(3465)

I found Fortis to be a glorious take on the Saffron/Oud/Cypriol theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Duran's Gloves View Post
    I found Fortis to be a glorious take on the Saffron/Oud/Cypriol theme.
    Agree.The way the saffron blends with the oud is what makes this scent. Might not be my favorite in the line, but it's sure a good one.

(3471)

Well, I've worn Bloody Wood several times now. Its a big no for me. I can't shake the "Poison" similarities. That Chanel has always been a "stinker" to me. However, there are others to try from the House.

Anymore opinions on Fortis?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Anymore opinions on Fortis?
    never tried, but i was told by a connoisseur i fully trust that it is 'extremely impressive' (together with 'bloody wood'). currently offered as a split, i am in for 20ml each, impatient to get it.

I have a sample of Fortis - well, actually I should say "I had", since it's on eBay at the moment with other samples I'm getting rid of.

I will paste my review on Fragrantica here (not to sound megalomaniac, just to save time!):

I did not try Black Afgano so I can not join the party*, but this equally reminds me a lot of other fragrances. From Mugler's Angel at the very start, to loads of leathery/smoke/oud fragrances (it also reminds me Kurkdjian's composing style). However it's a warm spicy woody scent, with a sweet, wet and rich start progressively drying down to a smoky dry base with a really narrow floral/green note (I clearly smell the amyris). The vanilla/soft woods sweetness lasts from the beginning to the very end, so globally speaking it's a sweet scent through its whole lifecycle - which makes it, to my nose, a little boring. Not a miracle but a good fragrance.

Update: the late drydown (say, 3-4 hours after the first spray) is a no. Too much dry - unbalanced, monotone, bitter dryness - on my skin and to my nose.

* (quite a few users named Black Afgano there)

I just got in a few samples this week, have not tried them yet. I also put in a request to add the house.

Fortis
    So many references to Nasomatto Black Afgano and Carner Barcelona Cuirs around but a further aroma which I find equally close (or closer) to it is Bruno Acampora Nero, an high quality oil sharing with Fortis the notes of saffron, several woodsy resins, cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, musk and amber. Nero, in its oily pure essence "format" and the superior quality of musk, is the one I prefer of the quartet. There is (in each of the overmentioned perfumes) a common foundation of "standout" boise resins ( cypriol oil, pine resins, may be cistus), sandalwood, saffron, dark patchouli and ambergris arousing this typical, velvety and almost glamour "syrupy/gassy spicy sandalwood" sort of vibe. Effectively Fortis shares in particular (I would say exclusively) with Black Afgano the aoud typical "gassiness", probably some gassy cumin, vetiver and vanilla but while the Liquides Imaginaire's concoction is slightly sharper and "restrained" Black Afgano is overcharged, incensey, more vanillic and possibly darker. I find Fortis a dark beast of the down town venues as well as Nero, Cuirs and Black Afgano, probably more balanced and wearable than the Nasomatto's one but for sure less enjoyable, inebriating and musky than Nero. As soon as the gassiness from aoud and spices (saffron and cumin) keeps receding the aroma becomes almost subtle, refined, musky and sophisticated with a dark dry down mastered by ambery sandalwood, dark patchouli and resins of the forest. A great alternative for all those finding Black Afgano too much "rich" and Nero inaccessible.

Sampled Sancti today. Reminded me quite a bit of Avignon. An initial blast of frankincense as it opens with sharp citrus, bergamot, and lemon notes. I can detect the cardamom and touch of spiciness as it develops. The dry down is a very light, cedar/woody base. Would work well in spring, possibly summer weather. However, the longevity is deplorable. It's barely detectable on my skin after about an hour.

thanks to a very generous bnoter i was able to try all 6 scents by the house.... i guess at this point i am one of the very few in the U.S. familiar with the entire line.
    imo all of it is quite impressive. very fine, extemely classy scents. none is loud, which i guess impacts longevity more or less. the dry down on all of them is skin scent-like, but this does not bother me.
    currently the 3 eau della are available in the US - fortis, sancti, tumultu. the 3 eau sanguine are not as far as i know - bello rabelo, dom rosa, bloody wood. these are the 'winy' scents. the first two mentioned are very original. bello rabelo is the only take on immortelle i have really liked so far.
    for me the best of each group are sancti and dom rosa - full bottle worthy. light and immense fun to wear. longevity and projection are decent enough for me.
    everything else is worth at least a decant.
    the weakest links for me turned out those i expected to like best - fortis and bloody wood. they start very promising but they are the only ones that almost fall apart with the dry down.
    the house signature is the light woody dry down. very well done in most of them. not the loads of iso e super woods a la invasion barbare... thankfully no such synthetic torture here. the subtle approach of woody dry down by LLI is much better.
    Last edited by mspa; 23rd April 2014 at 03:36 AM.

What did you think of Fortis when you got it? Was it thumbs up or down for you? I bought the entire line of six from Essenza Nobile also and am happy with all of them, and saved quite a bit doing so.

It seems people are intrigued by the first three scents of this line (Fortis, Tumultu and Sancti), but actually I believe the "Sanguine" line i.e. the second three are more original and interesting. The "Sanguine" line is composed of Dom Rosa, Bello Rabelo and Bloody Wood and the idea behind them is precious wine (Champagne, Porto and Burgundy respectively), which is not a new idea in itself, but the rendition is, instead. The first is light and sparkling, the second is rich, deep and syrup-y, the latter is rich, too but in a more restraint, somehow "mystical" way. Absolutely worth a try!

Quote Originally Posted by BergamottoeBenzoino View Post
    I believe the "Sanguine" line i.e. the second three are more original and interesting.
    Agree. These are my preferred out of the six, with Dom Rosa at the top for me.

I found the longevity to be just fine w/ this one, I get an easy 9+ hours. It doesn't jump off the skin and project like Le Male or something along those lines and that's fine with me.

I found Sancti to be nice, but pretty boring. A mix of aldehydes, citrus and incense presented in a linear fashion.

If you're looking for a "fresh" and "clean" citrusy incense fragrance this won't disappoint you, because that's just what this is. Personally, I was expecting much more for the price tag attached to this one...something to push the envelope a bit...something that makes you say WOW...this is worth the $220 USD. I kept expecting something more in the development, it never came.

There are several other fragrances in this genre that cost about 1/2 the price and are done much better IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by repose View Post
    Sampled Sancti today. Reminded me quite a bit of Avignon. An initial blast of frankincense as it opens with sharp citrus, bergamot, and lemon notes. I can detect the cardamom and touch of spiciness as it develops. The dry down is a very light, cedar/woody base. Would work well in spring, possibly summer weather. However, the longevity is deplorable. It's barely detectable on my skin after about an hour.
    Last edited by rynegne; 23rd April 2014 at 04:50 PM.

Basenotes Plus

The two standouts for me are Fortis and Bloody Wood. I didn't like Dom Rosa or Bello Rabelo at all. Too much wine going on in there for me.

Sancti
    Sancti is another example of how much graceful and pure an olfactory olibanum rendition can stand out whether well measured and wisely combined. The final liturgical aura is present for sure but it tends to disgorge towards a more irresistibly ambery, rounded, almost tobacco flavoured general waxiness. Sancti, in the first "fizzy/aqueous" part of development, conjures me immediately fragrances a la Cardinal Heeley or Maack Craft while along the trip and the dry down in particular its special amber accord conjures me several more resinous (white/smoky and rosey) dry downs a la Tiziana Terenzi Ecstasy (and vaguely Piguet Casbah). The Sancti's fougere opening is freshly inebriating, slightly orangy/lemony, notably peppery and aldehydic. Aldehydes, pine resins, aromatic spices and lavender provide "space" and "air" like walking under snow along a canadian mountain forest side. The frankincense influence is in this phase freshly fluidy and peppery. The aldehydic (aromatic and peppery) Cardinal's type of introduction is here in this phase, somewhat piney, energetic, "molecular", slightly misty and aqueous. It takes a while before a central more consistent woody and mildly spicy core fixes its roots before to open the doors to an extremely resinous amber boise base clearly mastered by smoky myrhh, wax, incense, mossy galbanum, amber, faint rose and musk. I still detect the perfumed dark woods and the patchouli providing structure, balancing and "restraining" the general waxiness. In this phase the resemblance with Ecstasy is extreme, just Sancti appears less floral and possibly more resinous. This phase, despite its wearability, is not properly light or clean in my opinion since the frankincense/myrrh/galbanum accord provides depth, intensity, shadow and mystery, the comforting silence of a sacristy in a little village church. I detect a tobacco/vanilla delicious undertone joined with amber, nutmeg, cinnamon and seasoned woods. The latter provide an antique undertone smelling about old fornitures, dust, mould and naftalina. Just stunning. Probably one of the best frankincense rendition around, eucharistic and vaguely arcane. Extremely tenacious is the perfume on my skin.
    P.S= the dry down is effectively warmer, more dark, subtle, spicy/ambery and restrained with a virile undertone of ambergris and patchouli.
    Last edited by Darvant; 24th April 2014 at 12:05 AM.

I still have my samples to get too.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree. These are my preferred out of the six, with Dom Rosa at the top for me.
    Hi Hednic, happy we agree! I, too feel Dom Rosa as the most interesting of the whole lot, quite unique I'd say; but the one I'd wear is Bloody Wood, since I need more "texture" on skin.