Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Some ideas about how to buy perfume as a gift

This time of year much time and money is spent on perfume for girlfriends and wives. ( guys, too, of course) I can offer a couple of suggestions that may help you make an educated guess at the right gift. If you are trying perfumes at a department store, and please DO try them first, there are a few things to remember. Spray a bit on paper first. Wait a few minutes before sniffing. When you find some that you want to try on skin, try no more than 4 at one time. One on the inside of each wrist, one on the inside of each arm. Write a code mark to remind yourself which is which with a pen on your arm. Get as many samples to take with you as you can. Don't buy anything yet. Wait AT LEAST AN HOUR! (Go out to lunch maybe) Don't be afraid to try it on yourself. If you don't like it on you, chances are, you won't like it on her.
    Last edited by kumquat; 31st December 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Default Re: Some ideas about how to buy perfume as a gift

Great suggestions. And I'll add, when eventually you buy, see if you can get a sample - she can try the sample first herself and if she doesn't like, she can return it.

Also, if a perfume seems too complicated, related bath products and cream also work well, and are less of a commitment than a parfum.

cacio

Good suggestions, all, kumquat.

Far too many people are inclined to buy at the first sniff.

Better yet, get samples and try several times over a period of days.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the additional suggestions.
    Cacio, it is a great idea to have a sample for the recipient before opening the gift!
    Primrose, I agree, that's my basic reason for posting, take as much time as you can to make a decision. Comparing one against another is helpful, too.
    If anyone has questions, that's what we're here for.
    We get lots of these requests, so I thought it might help to consolidate here.
    Last edited by kumquat; 22nd December 2013 at 03:34 PM.