Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 62

Thread: Reviews..

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Reviews..

    It seems like only a handful of members write reviews..
    I know everybody has his/her own agenda but I find the review section helpful..

    The Forums are great and lively but reviews of certain scents are also informative as well..
    For instance I am interested in Mancera and a few other houses but their are very little reviews on any of the line..

    It would be nice for people to post in the Forums and Review Section..
    Thx in advance!!

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I agree. I am afraid my reviews are not very sophisticated, but I have written about 60 or so since I have joined last summer. I find the reviews of others very helpful, and writing my own is a fun part of the hobby.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Good point. Thanks. I haven't been posting my forum reviews in the Review Section. Will fix.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Totally agree. i understand that sometimes a review in a thread can be enriched by others' contribution and suggestion, but the review section is the most straightforward way to find out what we have to say on a certain fragrance
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

  5. #5

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Please try to keep reviews to the reviews section of the site and discussions to the discussion forums if possible. If a fragrance isn't in the database, fill out a request and maybe start a thread in the meantime. But the best way to bridge the review/discussion sections is to transform your review into a series of questions -- not just, "do you own it?" or "what do you think?" or whatnot, but specific, guiding questions about a fragrance that will prompt discussion. There are obviously grey areas involved, but if everyone started posting reviews in the discussion forums, it'd certainly get messy!

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & B˙zios
    Posts
    78,071

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I always enjoy reading other peoples reviews both positive and negative found in the Reviews Section. Need to check it out more frequently than I currently do.

    (1960)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Reviews..

    The Huddler period reviews have been making their way here and it would be great to see more being done.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I tried to do one review on old Coty scent but I didn't see it was published)) Maybe I got it wrong.. And also - who put picture of a perfume if there is no such yet, and same with the perfume itself, if you want to write review on something not in the list..

  9. #9

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Most reviews have to join a queue to be read by admin before being published, Lyuba so yours will be pending!
    Pictures are on the 'to do' list at the moment and also added by admin.

    This is a link to the missing fragrances form.

    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

    If you have trouble accessing it, maybe pm the details to me & I'll complete the form - these also have to be confirmed by admin before publication & there's a delay at present due to a backlog of data from the recent move from a different platform!

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...65#post3022765

  10. #10

    Default Re: Reviews..

    those who are afraid of not being sophisticated enough
    those who prefer immediate printing
    those who are just afraid...
    It would be great to find simple and brief reviews by more people
    p.s. is it possible to write reliable reviews without a full wearing?.. but maybe this is just another thread!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Reviews..

    @ Francolino

    p.s. - not for me!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Try YouTube...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Try YouTube...
    No thanks.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    No thanks.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Junkie Trilby Lark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    683

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I will make writing reviews my New Year's resolution.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I will make writing reviews my New Year's resolution.
    I rarely see any women's reviews

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    479

    Default Re: Reviews..

    The one thing that would be "nice," is if the reviews counted toward one's status here (i.e. moved on closer to being able to post their own trades and such). If one follows the guideline and posts reviews in the review section, and not here, they are less likely to accumulate meaningful posts. Just a thought.

  18. #18
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,115
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Reviews..

    There was a period of time when another website was stealing reviews. I think it was Fragrantia. They copied them and if the submitter had a bunch, they won some cheap bottle of perfume. I think I stopped reviewing then. Does anyone know if that's still going on?

  19. #19

    Default Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I rarely see any women's reviews
    Really? I think ScentFan just had about 25 new reviews posted just yesterday alone!
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd December 2013 at 03:45 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Please try to keep reviews to the reviews section of the site and discussions to the discussion forums if possible. If a fragrance isn't in the database, fill out a request and maybe start a thread in the meantime. But the best way to bridge the review/discussion sections is to transform your review into a series of questions -- not just, "do you own it?" or "what do you think?" or whatnot, but specific, guiding questions about a fragrance that will prompt discussion. There are obviously grey areas involved, but if everyone started posting reviews in the discussion forums, it'd certainly get messy!
    Hi, deadidol. Does this mean I shouldn't be posting my sniff-fests or should reformat them? As self-education, I pick a house or a genre, look up the history, then explore with sample reviews -- increasingly coupled with narrative (story and poem). In response to this thread, I'm cutting/pasting reviews from my sniff-fests into the "Reviews" section.

  21. #21

    Default Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hi, deadidol. Does this mean I shouldn't be posting my sniff-fests or should reformat them? As self-education, I pick a house or a genre, look up the history, then explore with sample reviews -- increasingly coupled with narrative (story and poem). In response to this thread, I'm cutting/pasting reviews from my sniff-fests into the "Reviews" section.
    ScentFan: there are no hard and fast rules for this, but the site is designed so that fragrance reviews can be categorized and searchable. The review section is open to comments, but they tend not to be as lively as other parts of the site. These forums are more discussion based, but merging the two is possible -- I do it myself.

    What started to become a concern was that several members decided that they should no longer have to have their reviews in the review section, preferring to simply post their reviews in the most trafficked areas of the site. The result was that the discussion forums were were getting inundated with non-discussion posts and these reviews were just sinking without trace.

    Reviews should go into the review section in order to catalog them for reference so that people can look them up by choice. But it's quite simple to reshape a review into a provocative question that prompts greater discussion than "I agree/disagree with your review." If the discussion forums became more about reviews, the review section could lose its strength as a searchable resource. But also, imagine how dull the discussion forums would be without any real, engaged discussion.

    Again, lots of grey areas, but there are plenty of good ways to bring these two distinct parts of the site together without concern.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    There was a period of time when another website was stealing reviews. I think it was Fragrantia. They copied them and if the submitter had a bunch, they won some cheap bottle of perfume. I think I stopped reviewing then. Does anyone know if that's still going on?
    I've actually never heard of them giving out bottles for this at all. Most of the prominent reviewers on here also post their reviews over there, so I'm not sure who would be stealing the reviews. Is there a username on fragrantica who is doing this? It's something we could certainly look into if what you're saying is the case. Feel free to PM me with the details if you'd prefer as if a single user name over there is posting reviews from multiple BN users here, it'd be easy to spot and put an end to.

    I post on both in general, but as our database is still a work in progress with many new releases still missing, I tend to log them there and then port them here when I can.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Thanks, deadidol. Food for thought.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Good point Tony!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

  25. #25
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I've actually never heard of them giving out bottles for this at all. Most of the prominent reviewers on here also post their reviews over there, so I'm not sure who would be stealing the reviews. Is there a username on fragrantica who is doing this? It's something we could certainly look into if what you're saying is the case. Feel free to PM me with the details if you'd prefer as if a single user name over there is posting reviews from multiple BN users here, it'd be easy to spot and put an end to.

    I post on both in general, but as our database is still a work in progress with many new releases still missing, I tend to log them there and then port them here when I can.
    I think the Fragrantica copy/paste scandal was a long time ago, when they were fairly fresh and trying some incentives to get more reviews. A few plagiarists were discovered by sharp BNers who spotted the poached reviews. At the same time, there were also discovered "fake BNs", where web scammers would copy large portions of entire sites as bad text copies to steal advertising clicks on Google searches. I thought that was pretty wild.

    I have to admit that I've been slack on reviews. I generally don't feel motivated unless it's something really new or really odd that needs a review because there is none at all, but the chances are, there is no entry for it, so I just submit the missing fragrance and bail. Maybe when I eventually retire, I can spend more time on them.
    * * * *

  26. #26

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I forget sometimes that Basenotes has that review area. I used to use it all the time. Now, I seem to just use Fragrantica for notes / reviews. And it seems most people here seem to start a new thread with their review of the product anyway.

  27. #27
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,115
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Red​, Good to know. I should do some reviews of some of the things I've been sampling of late, then. I have been remiss. Sometimes, if a scent is too new, it isn't in the review section. That can be a nuisance.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Keeping the reviews in the Reviews section is a well intentioned idea, but I expect to see more and more reviews in the discussion forums until Basenotes changes their policy of making reviewers wait months before their reviews appear in the Reviews section. I'm saying that based on previous policy. Maybe this hard line stance has changed, I don't know.

    If this is indeed an area of concern, then do something about the lag time between when reviews are submitted and when they are posted.

    The fragrance database, which is still managed in a haphazard manner, is also a factor. How are you going to post reviews of fragrances that aren't there?

    It seems to me like the main causes of this phenomenon lies with Basenotes' outdated philosophy and failure to keep the Directory current. Websites have evolved over the past decade and Basenotes wants to pretend it's still 2000.

  29. #29
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Keeping the reviews in the Reviews section is a well intentioned idea, but I expect to see more and more reviews in the discussion forums until Basenotes changes their policy of making reviewers wait months before their reviews appear in the Reviews section. I'm saying that based on previous policy. Maybe this hard line stance has changed, I don't know.

    If this is indeed an area of concern, then do something about the lag time between when reviews are submitted and when they are posted.

    The fragrance database, which is still managed in a haphazard manner, is also a factor. How are you going to post reviews of fragrances that aren't there?

    It seems to me like the main causes of this phenomenon lies with Basenotes' outdated philosophy and failure to keep the Directory current. Websites have evolved over the past decade and Basenotes wants to pretend it's still 2000.
    Noggs - let's talk (openly). Judith and Grant - please eavesdrop. I have a couple of quick ideas that will get us where we need to be faster than we were thinking.

    I was one of the people who egged Parfumo into adopting a crowd-sourced model (you can find my blog post over there, from about 2 years ago). I was emphasizing basically a wiki model, but what is really needed is simply wiki input on a more traditional structure. Whatever - let's look more deeply at the problem.

    Judith discussed current plans here. Basically, she can take over the need for Grant to do the final input of new fragrances. While this is a very welcome thing, from an I.T. perspective, it is simply widening the bottleneck by a factor of 2 intrinsically, and maybe some small multiple of that, if we assume best cases for Judith's time versus Grant's. It will not address latency issues (see below) or other problems with a non-wiki model.

    Latency is every second from when any person sees that a fragrance is missing until the fragrance is there and available to be reviewed. Only the pure wiki model has zero latency. But let's just accept that we have what we have, and try to reduce the number anyway, without going to a radically different model.

    Why? I believe that latency is the key factor in the low number of new fragrances coming in, and the fact that we are not keeping up with current releases. I believe that this is the undesirable value which is amplified in the system. And furthermore, that it is only by reducing latency to near-zero that we will begin to eliminate "blank" fragrances, where we ask people to be the first review.

    It is obvious that latency is killing reviews, particularly for the most critical ones - NEW reviews - by turning only a fraction of would-be review events into needed but less desirable submission events. It is also problematic for older, obscure fragrances, because any number of would-be submission events that are skipped, should people not want to bother doing the review later, keeps us from being authoritative. Fragrantica is now authoritative (2 or 3 spots down on Google) and Parfumo is becoming so (many less well-known fragrances are ONLY there).

    In the case of new reviews, a failure to get that first review sends people elsewhere during the most-searched part of a fragrance's lifetime. So the bottom line - we need to not let that first review get away.

    Likewise, if somebody has found a strange fragrance that's not in the database, we should immediately go for the high-value review from the one person who may know about it, and not let that part get away.

    QUESTION: How do we get somebody who doesn't find a fragrance to not bail?

    ANSWER: Let people immediately review "unknown" fragrances that are not in the database.

    Multiple submissions don't matter. They are a metric of urgency. USE IT. Then simply merge them.

    Thus, the incentive to get that first review in, is also the thing that gets the fragrance into the database. Conversely, if the "contribute" web page is constructed properly, the submission of the fragrance does everything possible to get an "Unknown" review.

    I had earlier suggested that we add links to the contribute page at the bottom of a failed search. But I really think that the contribute page needs the review code embedded in it - possibly even at the top, and very prominently - so that we can capture the review as the most important aspect. Likewise, there probably needs to be a standalone review entry page, that would let one enter a new review for a new fragrance.

    We need to operate on the presumption that submissions are real, accurate, and have worthwhile reviews.

    Bottom line - people need to be able to review "unknown" fragrances immediately, providing along with the review, whatever information they can. Latency will not be zero, but it will appear to be zero to the user.
    * * * *

  30. #30

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Bottom line - people need to be able to review "unknown" fragrances immediately, providing along with the review, whatever information they can. Latency will not be zero, but it will appear to be zero to the user.
    I don't know the difficulties involved, but I do agree with this. When I came I tried to review several fragrances not in the database, including two exciting ones from Majda Bekkali. Instead, I had to discuss them in the forums and soon I gravitated away from posting reviews.

  31. #31
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    I don't know the difficulties involved, but I do agree with this. When I came I tried to review several fragrances not in the database, including two exciting ones from Majda Bekkali. Instead, I had to discuss them in the forums and soon I gravitated away from posting reviews.
    I'm not entirely sure of the difficulties involved, either, because there are always thousands of different ways to manage any software change behind the scenes. But I did try to come up with an answer that minimizes the overall amount of change from the current system, and that is always a realistic path. If you have to make conditionals like "just add this package" or "just add this extension" or "just go to this other model", then you're talking a lot of ifs. But if we can continue use something almost identical to the current mechanism, then I am sure that Grant can take the basic idea and look for hacks to make it happen. A single "unknown" fragrance? A single folder that it dumps into? A changing, uniquely defined "unknown" fragrance, based on clock values, that gets renamed? There are always lots of ways to pull something off. I just hope that one can be found that's reasonable and doable without too much effort.

    I've had the same experience with reviews - I'm either looking to see if there are reviews, or what is known about the fragrance - and then it's just not there, and - do I want to take time, or..... - and then it's gone. Being given the option to just submit it all on the spot - picture included - man - that would be sweet. There is a real sense of accomplishment from a combined submission and review, that I think will get people to contribute more, and more often.
    * * * *

  32. #32
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,056

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I'm not entirely sure of the difficulties involved, either, because there are always thousands of different ways to manage any software change behind the scenes. But I did try to come up with an answer that minimizes the overall amount of change from the current system, and that is always a realistic path. If you have to make conditionals like "just add this package" or "just add this extension" or "just go to this other model", then you're talking a lot of ifs. But if we can continue use something almost identical to the current mechanism, then I am sure that Grant can take the basic idea and look for hacks to make it happen. A single "unknown" fragrance? A single folder that it dumps into? A changing, uniquely defined "unknown" fragrance, based on clock values, that gets renamed? There are always lots of ways to pull something off. I just hope that one can be found that's reasonable and doable without too much effort.

    I've had the same experience with reviews - I'm either looking to see if there are reviews, or what is known about the fragrance - and then it's just not there, and - do I want to take time, or..... - and then it's gone. Being given the option to just submit it all on the spot - picture included - man - that would be sweet. There is a real sense of accomplishment from a combined submission and review, that I think will get people to contribute more, and more often.

    I have to agree that the lag time is a real killer. I almost never bother with reviews from this directory because there are so few. I've posted quite a few on Fragrantica because of the ease of doing so. I do notice a different quality to the reviews found here, but since there are so many more elsewhere and it's so much easier to contribute, that is what I do. I'd love to contribute here as well, but waiting publication is somewhat discouraging and could feel a bit exclusive.

  33. #33
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I have to agree that the lag time is a real killer. I almost never bother with reviews from this directory because there are so few. I've posted quite a few on Fragrantica because of the ease of doing so. I do notice a different quality to the reviews found here, but since there are so many more elsewhere and it's so much easier to contribute, that is what I do. I'd love to contribute here as well, but waiting publication is somewhat discouraging and could feel a bit exclusive.
    I should go look at Fragrantica, but I'm scared it will tempt me!
    * * * *

  34. #34

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Very good points, RP.

    I agree that the critical issues for most members and prospective members are the timely additions of new fragrances to the Directory and reviews of these new fragrances.

    Regarding older, discontinued, or obscure fragrances, which are especially interesting to me, I have always hoped that Basenotes could become a resource for aficionados of these fragrances. The Directory is notably lacking many of these fragrances and reviews of them are even more scarce. About a fifth of my entire wardrobe have no entries in the Directory. This is no small number, around 400 fragrances.

    As far as writing reviews myself, my idea is to write reviews for these fragrances first and foremost. We don't need a 150th review of Aventus when there are already 149. What we need is reviews of fragrances for which there are no reviews.

    I'm all for helping input these fragrances into the Directory, but don't want to be hindered by unecessary constraints and protocols. For many of these fragrances all I know is the house and the name. Internet searches turn up nothing, and nothing can be verified. In their past submission procedures, Basenotes has required too much information be provided, and have even asked that accents and such for foreign languages be observed. I respect the desire for accuracy, but in these cases it isn't practical. If you're going to make it difficult and place too many conditions on submittal, then I won't do it. Practicality must trump the search for accuracy and completeness. Details and corrections can be added or made later.

    I'm on my iPad at the office and can't get into this in any greater detail now, but can do more when I get off work. Interesting conversation!

  35. #35

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I agree with Grant's philosophy that there should be some editorial control over reviews.

    Look at Fragrantica, with reviews in various languages, some nothing but attempts to sell a fragrance, others asking where to buy a fragrance, etc. That sort of stuff needs to be weeded out.

    Instead of delaying the posting of a review until after it is subjected to editorial approval, why not post it immediately and do the review afterwards? Surely the vast number of submitted reviews are okay, with only a small number being rejected or needing modification. These can be dealt with after the fact. It makes more sense to do it this way rather than delaying everything just in case you find something unacceptable.

  36. #36
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Instead of delaying the posting of a review until after it is subjected to editorial approval, why not post it immediately and do the review afterwards? Surely the vast number of submitted reviews are okay, with only a small number being rejected or needing modification. These can be dealt with after the fact. It makes more sense to do it this way rather than delaying everything just in case you find something unacceptable.
    This is the wiki principle, which is actually the same principle that Apple runs on, and liberal democracies as opposed to police states. It's the idea that most people will do the basics of construction right, and that the administrators only need to police what doesn't get done right. Steve Jobs always called it trusting the other guy to do his part. Great video describing it. He claimed that is what made Apple work.
    * * * *

  37. #37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    We have several members who make an effort to keep us updated with info about new fragrance releases. These announcements are usually posted to the FFD and MFD boards.

    Unfortunately it is usually weeks or months (or never) before this same info is entered into the Directory.

    Frankly, this seems silly. The information is already on the website. A member is thoughtful enough to get the info and is willing to put in the effort to post it. The same effort by the same individual, probably even less, could be used to enter the info into the Directory immediately. It seems like a no-brainer to me to take advantage of this.

    I know Basenotes was Grant's baby. But the baby is now an adolescent. The adolescent needs a bit more freedom, more room to grow.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Has everyone read Judith's posts 9 &12 here yet?
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...-the-Directory

  39. #39

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I'd like to post some reviews: I've been using the site for a couple of years and have a learnt a huge amount from other members' experiences, so it's payback time.

    However, I'm loath to spend time writing reviews if they're just going to disappear into a black hole. I'd rather wait until everything is working seamlessly before investing more time. Once six months' worth of accumulated knowledge - in the form of the Huddler threads - is back, I'll be more relaxed, but it sounds like there's quite a way to go before that happens. In sum, I appreciate the work everyone is doing behind the scenes but prefer to remain cautious.
    Last edited by saminlondon; 23rd December 2013 at 10:12 AM.

  40. #40

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by danieq View Post
    I almost never bother with reviews from this directory because there are so few. (...)
    I'd love to contribute here as well, but waiting publication is somewhat discouraging and could feel a bit exclusive.
    Are there really "so few" reviews here?

    Is really that bothering to have to wait a few weeks for a review to appear? I understand that immediate publication equals immediate gratification, but is it really that important? A review should be something "official", IMO, your take on a given fragrance, so I can't see the hurry. In my strictly personal experience, I felt quite weird on Huddler with the immediate publication, I felt I was doing something somewhat.. cheap and hurried- you know, the thought that you could re-write it any time...

    I understand the difficulty with not finding fragrances in the directory and the laborious process of adding new ones, but I can't see how this could interfere with writing reviews of known and recorded fragrances...
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

  41. #41

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I agree. I have hesitated a few times purchasing fragrances because there weren't enough or no reviews about them.

  42. #42
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Are there really "so few" reviews here?

    Is really that bothering to have to wait a few weeks for a review to appear? I understand that immediate publication equals immediate gratification, but is it really that important? A review should be something "official", IMO, your take on a given fragrance, so I can't see the hurry. In my strictly personal experience, I felt quite weird on Huddler with the immediate publication, I felt I was doing something somewhat.. cheap and hurried- you know, the thought that you could re-write it any time...

    I understand the difficulty with not finding fragrances in the directory and the laborious process of adding new ones, but I can't see how this could interfere with writing reviews of known and recorded fragrances...
    I had a long and overly technical answer, but I'm going to make this as short as I possibly can.

    In the data industry, CURRENCY IS KING. Not money currency - the other kind. The leading edge is the one that counts. Weeks are too long. Currency needs to be measured in DAYS. The more high-quality data the sooner, the better.

    This is not obvious. But it makes a HUGE difference in attracting and retaining customers. HUGE. In our case, that is both review writers and review readers as customers.
    * * * *

  43. #43

    Default Re: Reviews..

    RP, I'm with you. I'd rather have the Mods/admins use their limited time in other ways than having to put reviews up on the Directory. Yes, quality may suffer, but this can be addressed in other ways (guidelines, oversight, community response).

  44. #44
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoista View Post
    RP, I'm with you. I'd rather have the Mods/admins use their limited time in other ways than having to put reviews up on the Directory. Yes, quality may suffer, but this can be addressed in other ways (guidelines, oversight, community response).
    Community response is actually a great one, in terms of making corrections. I am continuously amazed by the quality of information on Wikipedia. The level of care and respect for information between people is truly amazing. The quality of the information is amazing. The timeliness of information is amazing (most of the time, a new idea in the news will have at least something on Wikipedia already).

    It's basically like bees and honey - they all value it, they all take care of it. Even when I made my first entry on Wikipedia, I saw how this works. I was approaching as a specialist, editing a nearly stub-like entry made by a non-specialist. What that person had written was wrong, but I felt obliged to carry their wording into the correction, and when I was done with it, I was certain that they would actually like my changes, and regard it as an enhancement. So what I'm saying is that even though we probably don't want to edit each others' reviews, I think that we (long-term and high-post members) can be trusted to update pictures, perfumers, and other technical data - and to respect what other people did, while correcting it as needed. I have often spotted technical errors on BN. Sometimes I get it in my gut to report the error - other times I just let it slide. I will bet that letting it slide happens a lot, because the fix costs more than the error. We need to reduce the cost of new entries, reviews, and the correction of data. All of these are things that many trusted worker-bees can be counted on to carry out with a net benefit, if it's easy to do.
    * * * *

  45. #45

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post

    It's basically like bees and honey - they all value it, they all take care of it.
    Agreed. You are reminding me that there's a slightly obscure Wikipedia entry I've been meaning to correct!

    To your point, it does seem like the power of the community can be leveraged here.

  46. #46
    Dependent danieq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southeastern Arizona
    Posts
    2,056

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by iodine View Post
    Are there really "so few" reviews here?

    Is really that bothering to have to wait a few weeks for a review to appear? I understand that immediate publication equals immediate gratification, but is it really that important? A review should be something "official", IMO, your take on a given fragrance, so I can't see the hurry. In my strictly personal experience, I felt quite weird on Huddler with the immediate publication, I felt I was doing something somewhat.. cheap and hurried- you know, the thought that you could re-write it any time...

    I understand the difficulty with not finding fragrances in the directory and the laborious process of adding new ones, but I can't see how this could interfere with writing reviews of known and recorded fragrances...
    I wouldn't say I am bothered, I just use another resource which is currently available to me, is super easy to use and allows me to get the info I want, which is real people's personal reactions to a fragrance that I am interested in. For me, I'm not looking for professionally styled reviews, if I want Luca Turin, I'll look him up. What I want is people's experience quickly and easily accessed in a gigantic data base. At least that is what I want for now.

  47. #47

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Just to add my 2C. I know the team are perennially working on it blah blah blah but the delay in adding new fragrances to the database (which predates Huddlerisation and de-Huddlerisation) is a real MINUS for this site. The forum is the best out there but the directory is shamed by Fragrantica and Parfumo.net. I must have reported Speick EdT as missing over a year ago and it still isn't there. I gave up after that. The absent Jardins d'Ecrivains line has been available for over 6/12 and in the Fragrantica database since the off. I'm sure we can all think of other examples. Want to check out a new fragrance? Go to Fragrantica.

    Also, disallowing non-Plus members from immediate publication of reviews is a backwards step IMO. I perused all the new reviews during the Huddlergeddon and there were only a couple of blatant spammy or offensive ones. These could just be reported to the mods. The delay of several weeks before publication is a real disincentive to reviewers. For reviews of new releases it is a disadvantage to all users. Are these reviews of reviews really necessary? Seems like a huge waste of time and effort to me.

    I second RP's comments about allowing longer-standing members to correct errors or add fragrances directly. Trolls don't stay long here because they don't get the attention they crave. I reported that incorrect picture for Bogart PH (2004) months ago and it's still the same. It gives the impression there is no-one on the other end. Maybe they are all too busy trawling through new reviews for naughty words.

    Don't get me wrong, this is a very good site but it could be great.

    /moan


  48. #48

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    Don't get me wrong, this is a very good site but it could be great.
    I've felt this way since I joined seven years ago.

    But what we want may not be what Grant wants. If he wants to run the site as a hobby, which is how I perceive it has been run until now, I don't foresee any great changes. If he wants to run it along more commercial lines and make Basenotes the internet resource for fragrances, he has to give up absolute control and accept more help. He also has to allow the site to change and grow so that it keeps pace with what the market expects. I don't understand the Huddler fiasco, but I wasn't surprised by it. Perhaps that was an attempt to transform the site into something else.

    Redneck Perfumisto has made some astute comments above about websites and the marketplace. I believe he understands the larger picture and what could be achieved.

    What does Grant intend? IMO I think Basenotes will remain more of a hobby. I haven't seen anything in seven years to make me think otherwise. And Basenotes being run as a hobby is a perfectly legitimate and reasonable thing.

    Fragrantica, despite its relative completeness, is all over the place and seems to lack integrity or consistency. I just never got Parfumo at all. Yes, their fragrance directory is more complete, but it's basically just a list of fragrances. The community there is like a ghost town.

    Basenotes has the most potential, and I think most of us see that.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Reviews..

    We all see the potential, but this might not be the best time of year to raise the question!

  50. #50

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I wrote 500+ reviews, and then my market area dried up for new fragrances that interest me. We get lots of new celebrity scents here. I could go out write a bunch of new, negative reviews, but (somehow) I hate to spritz myself with most of them! I'll have to go back to reviewing by ordering samples. After I go through the Slumberhouse sample pass, I'll have something to write. Those will be worth comment.

    That does bring up a point, too. If you want to stimulate reviews, do a sample pass. Get some vials, start a thread, and send them around. An added bonus is that you get to find out what other people think about the same fragrances that you have smelled (or own).

  51. #51
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,115
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Reviews..

    You are amazing , Purplebird! 500 reviews+! Although, I have to admit, I'm glad I didn't write any during Huddler. The blog entries I did are lost now :-( I promise to start reviewing again when they get this sorted out. I do want to contribute but most of those I try are new from LuckyScent samples I buy and there aren't any listings for them in the directory yet :-(


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  52. #52

    Default Re: Reviews..

    The Huddler reviews have been returning recently.

    If anyone wishes to contribute details of new products, this is the link
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

    There should also be 'Sample of the Day' threads for note-making.
    Last edited by lpp; 27th December 2013 at 06:21 PM.

  53. #53
    kumquat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    8,115
    Blog Entries
    98

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    The Huddler reviews have been returning recently.

    If anyone wishes to contribute details of new products, this is the link
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

    There should also be 'Sample of the Day' threads for note-making.
    Thanks for the info!

  54. #54

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I am one of those who think that waiting for a review to be published for several weeks is a bit too much, and it's not because I crave fame on the forum . I've posted reviews here and waited patiently, but then the server changed, and I noticed that the reviews I had published previously had new and strange punctuation errors: The apostrophe 's was all messed up almost everywhere! Editing these errors proved time-consuming, and sometimes, after editing them, I'd go back and see that the error is still there. I'm afraid to look now, once the server was changed again. For some reason, I have trouble searching for reviews, too.

    I admit I post reviews on Fragrantica more often than here because it's easier, but I think their balloon system is annoying.

  55. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Maybe somehow someway it can be done faster like in the Huddler days?
    That was awesome!!

  56. #56
    Basenotes Junkie
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    786

    Default Re: Reviews..

    If i want t KNOW (reviews,notes,perfumer etc.) about a fragrance, i go to Fragrantica. If i want to TALK about it, i go to Basenotes.

  57. #57

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Hopefully, once the Muddler backlog has been cleared, new entries of all sorts should be faster.
    Last edited by lpp; 28th December 2013 at 10:45 PM.

  58. #58

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Hello,

    Unfortunately I don't have the time to go into everything discussed on this thread in detail - I have mentioned it to Grant, however, particularly RP's input.

    In the meantime, can I just dispel once and for all the myth that it tales several weeks/months for non-BN Plus reviews to appear? This is not the case - and hasn't been so for nearly three years!

    Currently I'm a bit behind due to the Christmas break - so the oldest reviews on the list go back to just before then. The usual time scale is up to a week, maybe two if I'm really busy. We prefer to do it this way rather than let through some of the spam etc. which gets posted - which would then have to be reported and deleted - and in the meantime clogs up the site with irrelevant (and sometimes offensive) postings.

    We are hoping to put up a list of guidelines for reviewers at some point.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Reviews..

    I'm going to review all this feedback over the next few days

    CHeers

  60. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    15,256
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Reviews..

    Thx for being honest Judith and Grant

Similar Threads

  1. More negative reviews listed than actual # of negative reviews
    By SculptureOfSoul in forum Community Centre Archive
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th May 2012, 05:57 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th November 2011, 08:42 PM
  3. More user reviews > less reviews (supporting member perks)
    By jzzbassman in forum Bugs/Ideas Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th January 2011, 12:33 PM
  4. Reviews- How can I keep track of my Basenotes reviews?
    By Jemimagold in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29th April 2008, 10:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •