Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Reviews..

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Reviews..

It seems like only a handful of members write reviews..
    I know everybody has his/her own agenda but I find the review section helpful..

The Forums are great and lively but reviews of certain scents are also informative as well..
    For instance I am interested in Mancera and a few other houses but their are very little reviews on any of the line..

It would be nice for people to post in the Forums and Review Section..
    Thx in advance!!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Reviews..

I agree. I am afraid my reviews are not very sophisticated, but I have written about 60 or so since I have joined last summer. I find the reviews of others very helpful, and writing my own is a fun part of the hobby.

Good point. Thanks. I haven't been posting my forum reviews in the Review Section. Will fix.

Totally agree. i understand that sometimes a review in a thread can be enriched by others' contribution and suggestion, but the review section is the most straightforward way to find out what we have to say on a certain fragrance
    "Your fragrance with a fume of iodine" L. Cohen

Please try to keep reviews to the reviews section of the site and discussions to the discussion forums if possible. If a fragrance isn't in the database, fill out a request and maybe start a thread in the meantime. But the best way to bridge the review/discussion sections is to transform your review into a series of questions -- not just, "do you own it?" or "what do you think?" or whatnot, but specific, guiding questions about a fragrance that will prompt discussion. There are obviously grey areas involved, but if everyone started posting reviews in the discussion forums, it'd certainly get messy!

I always enjoy reading other peoples reviews both positive and negative found in the Reviews Section. Need to check it out more frequently than I currently do.

(1960)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

The Huddler period reviews have been making their way here and it would be great to see more being done.

I tried to do one review on old Coty scent but I didn't see it was published)) Maybe I got it wrong.. And also - who put picture of a perfume if there is no such yet, and same with the perfume itself, if you want to write review on something not in the list..

Basenotes Plus

Most reviews have to join a queue to be read by admin before being published, Lyuba so yours will be pending!
    Pictures are on the 'to do' list at the moment and also added by admin.

This is a link to the missing fragrances form.

http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

If you have trouble accessing it, maybe pm the details to me & I'll complete the form - these also have to be confirmed by admin before publication & there's a delay at present due to a backlog of data from the recent move from a different platform!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/372...65#post3022765

those who are afraid of not being sophisticated enough
    those who prefer immediate printing
    those who are just afraid...
    It would be great to find simple and brief reviews by more people
    p.s. is it possible to write reliable reviews without a full wearing?.. but maybe this is just another thread!
    Currently wearing: GrigioPerla by La Perla

Basenotes Plus

@ Francolino

p.s. - not for me!

Try YouTube...

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    Try YouTube...
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    No thanks.

I will make writing reviews my New Year's resolution.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I will make writing reviews my New Year's resolution.
    I rarely see any women's reviews

Basenotes Plus

The one thing that would be "nice," is if the reviews counted toward one's status here (i.e. moved on closer to being able to post their own trades and such). If one follows the guideline and posts reviews in the review section, and not here, they are less likely to accumulate meaningful posts. Just a thought.

Blog Entries

There was a period of time when another website was stealing reviews. I think it was Fragrantia. They copied them and if the submitter had a bunch, they won some cheap bottle of perfume. I think I stopped reviewing then. Does anyone know if that's still going on?

Default Reviews..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    I rarely see any women's reviews
    Really? I think ScentFan just had about 25 new reviews posted just yesterday alone!
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd December 2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Please try to keep reviews to the reviews section of the site and discussions to the discussion forums if possible. If a fragrance isn't in the database, fill out a request and maybe start a thread in the meantime. But the best way to bridge the review/discussion sections is to transform your review into a series of questions -- not just, "do you own it?" or "what do you think?" or whatnot, but specific, guiding questions about a fragrance that will prompt discussion. There are obviously grey areas involved, but if everyone started posting reviews in the discussion forums, it'd certainly get messy!
    Hi, deadidol. Does this mean I shouldn't be posting my sniff-fests or should reformat them? As self-education, I pick a house or a genre, look up the history, then explore with sample reviews -- increasingly coupled with narrative (story and poem). In response to this thread, I'm cutting/pasting reviews from my sniff-fests into the "Reviews" section.

Default Reviews..

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    Hi, deadidol. Does this mean I shouldn't be posting my sniff-fests or should reformat them? As self-education, I pick a house or a genre, look up the history, then explore with sample reviews -- increasingly coupled with narrative (story and poem). In response to this thread, I'm cutting/pasting reviews from my sniff-fests into the "Reviews" section.
    ScentFan: there are no hard and fast rules for this, but the site is designed so that fragrance reviews can be categorized and searchable. The review section is open to comments, but they tend not to be as lively as other parts of the site. These forums are more discussion based, but merging the two is possible -- I do it myself.

What started to become a concern was that several members decided that they should no longer have to have their reviews in the review section, preferring to simply post their reviews in the most trafficked areas of the site. The result was that the discussion forums were were getting inundated with non-discussion posts and these reviews were just sinking without trace.

Reviews should go into the review section in order to catalog them for reference so that people can look them up by choice. But it's quite simple to reshape a review into a provocative question that prompts greater discussion than "I agree/disagree with your review." If the discussion forums became more about reviews, the review section could lose its strength as a searchable resource. But also, imagine how dull the discussion forums would be without any real, engaged discussion.

Again, lots of grey areas, but there are plenty of good ways to bring these two distinct parts of the site together without concern.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    There was a period of time when another website was stealing reviews. I think it was Fragrantia. They copied them and if the submitter had a bunch, they won some cheap bottle of perfume. I think I stopped reviewing then. Does anyone know if that's still going on?
    I've actually never heard of them giving out bottles for this at all. Most of the prominent reviewers on here also post their reviews over there, so I'm not sure who would be stealing the reviews. Is there a username on fragrantica who is doing this? It's something we could certainly look into if what you're saying is the case. Feel free to PM me with the details if you'd prefer as if a single user name over there is posting reviews from multiple BN users here, it'd be easy to spot and put an end to.

I post on both in general, but as our database is still a work in progress with many new releases still missing, I tend to log them there and then port them here when I can.

Thanks, deadidol. Food for thought.

Good point Tony!
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    I've actually never heard of them giving out bottles for this at all. Most of the prominent reviewers on here also post their reviews over there, so I'm not sure who would be stealing the reviews. Is there a username on fragrantica who is doing this? It's something we could certainly look into if what you're saying is the case. Feel free to PM me with the details if you'd prefer as if a single user name over there is posting reviews from multiple BN users here, it'd be easy to spot and put an end to.

I post on both in general, but as our database is still a work in progress with many new releases still missing, I tend to log them there and then port them here when I can.
    I think the Fragrantica copy/paste scandal was a long time ago, when they were fairly fresh and trying some incentives to get more reviews. A few plagiarists were discovered by sharp BNers who spotted the poached reviews. At the same time, there were also discovered "fake BNs", where web scammers would copy large portions of entire sites as bad text copies to steal advertising clicks on Google searches. I thought that was pretty wild.

I have to admit that I've been slack on reviews. I generally don't feel motivated unless it's something really new or really odd that needs a review because there is none at all, but the chances are, there is no entry for it, so I just submit the missing fragrance and bail. Maybe when I eventually retire, I can spend more time on them.

I forget sometimes that Basenotes has that review area. I used to use it all the time. Now, I seem to just use Fragrantica for notes / reviews. And it seems most people here seem to start a new thread with their review of the product anyway.

Blog Entries

Red​, Good to know. I should do some reviews of some of the things I've been sampling of late, then. I have been remiss. Sometimes, if a scent is too new, it isn't in the review section. That can be a nuisance.

Keeping the reviews in the Reviews section is a well intentioned idea, but I expect to see more and more reviews in the discussion forums until Basenotes changes their policy of making reviewers wait months before their reviews appear in the Reviews section. I'm saying that based on previous policy. Maybe this hard line stance has changed, I don't know.

If this is indeed an area of concern, then do something about the lag time between when reviews are submitted and when they are posted.

The fragrance database, which is still managed in a haphazard manner, is also a factor. How are you going to post reviews of fragrances that aren't there?

It seems to me like the main causes of this phenomenon lies with Basenotes' outdated philosophy and failure to keep the Directory current. Websites have evolved over the past decade and Basenotes wants to pretend it's still 2000.
    Currently wearing: Cuirs by Carner Barcelona

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Keeping the reviews in the Reviews section is a well intentioned idea, but I expect to see more and more reviews in the discussion forums until Basenotes changes their policy of making reviewers wait months before their reviews appear in the Reviews section. I'm saying that based on previous policy. Maybe this hard line stance has changed, I don't know.

If this is indeed an area of concern, then do something about the lag time between when reviews are submitted and when they are posted.

The fragrance database, which is still managed in a haphazard manner, is also a factor. How are you going to post reviews of fragrances that aren't there?

It seems to me like the main causes of this phenomenon lies with Basenotes' outdated philosophy and failure to keep the Directory current. Websites have evolved over the past decade and Basenotes wants to pretend it's still 2000.
    Noggs - let's talk (openly). Judith and Grant - please eavesdrop. I have a couple of quick ideas that will get us where we need to be faster than we were thinking.

I was one of the people who egged Parfumo into adopting a crowd-sourced model (you can find my blog post over there, from about 2 years ago). I was emphasizing basically a wiki model, but what is really needed is simply wiki input on a more traditional structure. Whatever - let's look more deeply at the problem.

Judith discussed current plans here. Basically, she can take over the need for Grant to do the final input of new fragrances. While this is a very welcome thing, from an I.T. perspective, it is simply widening the bottleneck by a factor of 2 intrinsically, and maybe some small multiple of that, if we assume best cases for Judith's time versus Grant's. It will not address latency issues (see below) or other problems with a non-wiki model.

Latency is every second from when any person sees that a fragrance is missing until the fragrance is there and available to be reviewed. Only the pure wiki model has zero latency. But let's just accept that we have what we have, and try to reduce the number anyway, without going to a radically different model.

Why? I believe that latency is the key factor in the low number of new fragrances coming in, and the fact that we are not keeping up with current releases. I believe that this is the undesirable value which is amplified in the system. And furthermore, that it is only by reducing latency to near-zero that we will begin to eliminate "blank" fragrances, where we ask people to be the first review.

It is obvious that latency is killing reviews, particularly for the most critical ones - NEW reviews - by turning only a fraction of would-be review events into needed but less desirable submission events. It is also problematic for older, obscure fragrances, because any number of would-be submission events that are skipped, should people not want to bother doing the review later, keeps us from being authoritative. Fragrantica is now authoritative (2 or 3 spots down on Google) and Parfumo is becoming so (many less well-known fragrances are ONLY there).

In the case of new reviews, a failure to get that first review sends people elsewhere during the most-searched part of a fragrance's lifetime. So the bottom line - we need to not let that first review get away.

Likewise, if somebody has found a strange fragrance that's not in the database, we should immediately go for the high-value review from the one person who may know about it, and not let that part get away.

QUESTION: How do we get somebody who doesn't find a fragrance to not bail?

ANSWER: Let people immediately review "unknown" fragrances that are not in the database.

Multiple submissions don't matter. They are a metric of urgency. USE IT. Then simply merge them.

Thus, the incentive to get that first review in, is also the thing that gets the fragrance into the database. Conversely, if the "contribute" web page is constructed properly, the submission of the fragrance does everything possible to get an "Unknown" review.

I had earlier suggested that we add links to the contribute page at the bottom of a failed search. But I really think that the contribute page needs the review code embedded in it - possibly even at the top, and very prominently - so that we can capture the review as the most important aspect. Likewise, there probably needs to be a standalone review entry page, that would let one enter a new review for a new fragrance.

We need to operate on the presumption that submissions are real, accurate, and have worthwhile reviews.

Bottom line - people need to be able to review "unknown" fragrances immediately, providing along with the review, whatever information they can. Latency will not be zero, but it will appear to be zero to the user.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Bottom line - people need to be able to review "unknown" fragrances immediately, providing along with the review, whatever information they can. Latency will not be zero, but it will appear to be zero to the user.
    I don't know the difficulties involved, but I do agree with this. When I came I tried to review several fragrances not in the database, including two exciting ones from Majda Bekkali. Instead, I had to discuss them in the forums and soon I gravitated away from posting reviews.