Code of Conduct

Default Best QUALITY cologne?

So the past six years I've been using Armani's Aqua di Gio, Attiude, Viktor & Rolf's Spice Bomb and slowly went to Jo Malone.

However, I recently discovered Tom Ford (Private Collection) and bought the Vanille Tobacco this year. It's been almost a year since I've purchased it and I'm still in love with it. I still get compliments every time I use it, and the longevity of it is crazy. I only spray it once and not more than once (it's way too expensive to spray more than once!). I usually spray once on my hand, and pat my neck and ears and it will last me from morning to night. My friend, ALL THE TIME, every time I see him Friday night after work, he tells me to "stop spraying the whole bottle of Tom Ford on myself because it's so strong". I tell him I only spray once, and I sprayed it twelve hours ago. The fact that the cologne can last so long makes me satisfied that the $400 purchase for the small size was worth it.

I'm not use to spending more than $150 on a bottle of cologne, Jo Malone was the only cologne (its unisex, from the UK) that's ever cost me over the $100 mark (Armani usually cost $110 max or less), but the longevity of the previous colognes I've used has never lasted long. I have a travel-o (the mini bottles to carry your cologne in) and I always have to bring it with me since my colognes would last a couple of hours. With Tom Ford, I don't need to carry my travel-o.

I'm new to the "cologne" scene and was wondering if someone can recommend me any other QUALITY cologne brand. From there, I will start looking researching their scents, but as of now I'm looking for quality first!

If anyone can help me that would be awesome

Default Re: Best QUALITY cologne?

Welcome! Check out Amouage.

Hope you aren't in the US, because $400 for the small size is about double the full retail price. Anyway, I haven't tried any yet, but from what I gather here, Montale's seem to have the longevity you're talking about.

Perhaps check out the Armani Prive line or Parfums de Marly line.

(1950)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Just keep in mind that longevity doesn't have any bearing on quality. Jupe! is as strong as Tobacco Vanille and can be found in many a Wal Mart discount bin

For quality of the raw materials involved:

Slumberhouse
    Matriarch
    Amouage
    Xerjoff
    Hermessence
    Amouage
    Mona di Orio
    Puredistance

Perhaps also Knize, Acqua di Parma, Penhaligons in the niche segment, as well as the exclusive lines of Armani, Dior, Lancome etc.

Sound Scents

If "quality" is what you seek, then I would look at the offerings from EdP Frédéric Malle. The Dominique Ropion creations are a good starting point with Portrait of a Lady being my favorite. Since projection and longevity appear to be important to you, for reference one spray of PoaL will project *extremely* well and last all day and then some.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Creed and Amouage

Generally speaking:

Guerlain
    Chanel
    Amouage
    Serge Lutens
    MDCI
    Frederic Malle
    Tauer

Great perfumes require far more than good ingredients. Many of the best ones don’t contain the best ingredients.

Edit: No matter how much bullshit fantasy they sell or how much ridiculous Basenotes hype is generated, most niche houses don't even have access to all of the best ingredients. The fragrance can be total dreck, but as long as it's from a goddamn so-called "niche" house, people think it contains the best ingredients. Wrong! Not even close. In their best fragrances that still the domain for people like Guerlain and Chanel.

"Niche" means only one thing: the fragrances are sold in fewer shops. That's it.

Last edited by pluran; 23rd December 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Amouage (reflection)
    Guerlain exclusive line (tonka imperial)
    Dior private line (ambre nuit)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Generally speaking:

Guerlain
    Amouage
    Serge Lutens
    MDCI
    Frederic Malle
    Tauer

Great perfumes require far more than good ingredients. Many of the best ones don’t contain the best ingredients.
    Agree with that
    Please check out my selling list:

YSL Opium homme EDP, Rive Gauche pour homme, Villoresi Uomo, Dior Homme vintage, Body Kouros, Guerlain homme intense etc.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...-etc-Worldwide!

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Generally speaking:

Guerlain
    Amouage
    Serge Lutens
    MDCI
    Frederic Malle
    Tauer

These house will scream "QUALITY" at your face with most of their scents. I promise.

If you like the scent, then it is quality. But if you equate longevity with quality, then:

+1 Amouage
    +1 Slumberhouse
    +1 Armani Privé line

All Neela Vermeire Creations
    Mancera
    Most all Bond No. 9 Fragrances
    Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Robert Piguet Oud

Only 2 things will survive World War III. Cockroaches and the smell of the Dior Oud Isphian I sprayed on my shirt the other day.

As for quality houses: Throw Nicolai in the list - and their fragrances aren't obscenely priced, either.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Best QUALITY cologne?

From your post, project and longevity is important to you. There are tons of such scent around. Expensive scent does not equal to projection and longevity. From your pervious owned colognes, versatile is also a important factor in your next purchase. Search under longevity and tons of answers will appear. Hope your next purchase don't cost you a bomb.

Regards
    Last edited by iMac; 22nd December 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Montale
    Carolina Herrera
    Ted Lapidus

MDCI, Creed, Amouage, Dior.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Check out Bentley for Men Intense.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Check out Bentley for Men Intense.
    Or better yet...the EDT. Lasts just as long to me, and it's MUCH rounder.