Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default The first hour of many lavender scents, ugh

I have noticed a pattern in my reviews. I struggle with strong lavender scents for the first hour. This is even true for the 3rd Man by Caron, which is one of my favorites. With many of them, after an hour or so they dry down to something far more pleasant and complex, but at first are harsh and make me want to run to the bathroom and scrub. Right now, I am trying to "hang in there" with an application of Bois Bourbon by Decennial (Luckyscents own). I had this experience so powerfully with Azzaro for Men a few months ago that I had to shower within 15 minutes, and wrote a scathing review. Now I know that I have to give it another try, and "wait for magic." With 3rd Man, I get the sense that the lavender almost acts as a carrier for the subsequent spicy goodness, so is integral to the scent.

I am wondering if anyone else experiences this as well, and if they try to push through or if they just accept that lavender is not their thing. I am feeling that it may be a little of both for me. As someone who is trying to learn about perfumes, I want to understand them, and watch their twists and turns; I am learning to be patient for the evolution of the fragrance. Yet, a part of me says "well, if this is awful for you at first, this must be awful for some others". Also, with so many great fragrances out there, how hard to I want to work?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Default Re: The first hour of many lavender scents, ugh

Have only gotten that feeling you describe with Molinard Lavande but it soon subsides.

(1976)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rose based scents are like this to me

Funny ... I sprayed on a lavender scent to try and relax this evening, which lavender is supposed to help with, and I was just thinking the same thing. I always want to like lavender scents, but just end up scratching my head and wondering why I don't enjoy them or feel very relaxed when I wear them.

Overcome By Fumes

I tend to find lavender more invigorating and stimulating rather than sedative contrary to what the aromatherapy lore might suggest. It's a very pungent note and seems fairly transient in most fragrances, at least in its dominant tone. If the lavender is complemented well, I'm enjoying it right out of the gate, while if a fragrance is too busy in the top, I find a muddled mess that is unpleasant to the nose. Jicky comes to mind as one where the jarring blend of notes at the top assaults my nose, but only later does the blend become satisfactory. There's something else going on with the Azzaro at the top that seems more awkward than lavender which I think of as pretty toned down in that fragrance.

I had that reaction to Caron Pour Un Homme the first time or two, but now it's a favorite of mine.

I have that problem with oud based scents. Lavender is ok on my skin.

Lavender is mainly a Top Note oil. If you don't like the first hour of a Lavender fragrance, you don't like Lavender.

I agree with docluv, lavender is quite invigorating, too much indeed, in many cases, it borders on sharp, so I'm not a huge fan either. But it can work well in certain cases, such as when it balances the vanilla in Caron pour un homme, or the sweet immortelle in Eau Noire.

I don't get much lavender in Troisieme homme, though.

cacio

Blog Entries

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...Illuminee.html
    you might try this one- DelRae -Eau Illuminee​. It is a 'sparkling' scent. Very light but not low on silage. Just pleasantly tangy and tingly, probably from aldehydes. Try it and see. Normally I'm not keen on lavender but this one is special.
    ( I'm not affiliated in any way, just a fan)
    Also, you can choose a note, like lavender on LuckyScent and the choice bar will lead you to all the scents with that note.
    Last edited by kumquat; 23rd December 2013 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Lavender is mainly a Top Note oil. If you don't like the first hour of a Lavender fragrance, you don't like Lavender.
    Pretty much what I was about to say.

What you like about lavender is probably only coming from 10% of lavender itself.

for swap/sale:

My favorite top-note lavender is Patou Pour Homme Prive.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Yeah I agree.

It doesn't sound like you like lavender as a note. No big deal. Avoid lavender prominent scents.

I personally love that medicinal-sharp-aromatic-pungent burst of top notes that lavender smells like. It's one of my very favorite notes.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th December 2013 at 03:44 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle