Code of Conduct

Default Daily winter fragrance

Hi there, I'm just new to the world of fragrances and I wanted to buy one for this winter still. I've read a bit online and there were 5 fragrances I saw getting mentioned a lot. Those are:

-YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
    -Boss Bottled
    -Burberry London
    -Chanel Egoiste
    -D&G The One

So I'm basically deciding among these 5. To start with, I'd like to try out one for this winter. Which one of these do you suggest? Or maybe another fragrance than the ones listed above? The fragrance will be for daily use to college. So I guess it should be a bit casual / mature. I hope you can help me decide!

Default Re: Daily winter fragrance

Welcome to you! Of the five, my suggestion would be Burberry London, but Egoiste and La Nuit are also very nice IMO.

(1979)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Nice to have you here!

The YSL I like the most but for daily use I would go for the Burberry.

The One is also a very nice scent but it has very poor lasting power.

Egoiste is a one of a kind but if you like it why not?

Boss Bottled is rather common IMO.

La Nuit, closely followed by London and Egoiste are my recommendations

Welcome! IMO, Egoiste is miles above the rest.

From your List "The one " of course, many complain about longevity but I get 10-12 and it's not skin tight scent but felt throught out the duration of the day....magnificent juice
    Last edited by magnus611; 22nd December 2013 at 07:02 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Welcome! IMO, Egoiste is miles above the rest.

I agree 100percent. It is so rich though, I am not sure it is the safest bet for something for daily wear. I like Nuit very much, but would also be hard for me to go to every day; it has a sweetness that I am not in the mood for all the time. London and The One would be the safest for a blind every day wear, IMHO

Banned
    Blog Entries

La Nuit and London

I'd say London is a good wear for Winter.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Both London and La Nuit would be great choices. I would also look into Fahrenheit.

Welcome!

Personally, I think Egoiste and The One are excellent, and are my favorites from your list.

Thanks for the replies everyone

Seeing as it got no (positive) replies, at least Boss Bottled is scrapped from the list. About the other ones, I still have some questions to hopefully help me make my choice.

The main objection I've heard about London is that its longetivity is not good. I own Gucci By Gucci now, which also has very poor longetivity (by the time I actually finished my first lecture, the scent is usually gone). So I'd really like something that lasts longer (as in all day when at college).

And as for Egoiste and La Nuit, won't they be considered 'too strong' for daily wear to college?

The main choice is now between London and Egoiste based on your suggestions with La Nuit and The One still being considered.

And as for Fahrenheit, what I've read from it so far it doesn't appeal to me so much right now (gasoline smell I read), but I will definitely sample it when I get the chance

Banned
    Blog Entries

Something that projects but not too strong..
    Chanel Allure
    Polo Double Black

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin11 View Post
    The main choice is now between London and Egoiste based on your suggestions
    IMO can't miss with either then.

(1985)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of those...If I had to pick it'd be La Nuit or The One, but if you're on a budget Boss Bottled is a great choice as well.
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.

Egoiste from your list.

for swap/sale:

My vote for Egoiste as well. Smooth, sandalwoody, elegant. I find London too sharp, and no match for Egoiste.
    (btw, make sure it's Egoiste, not Platinum Egoiste)

cacio

La Nuit/London for me. Personally, I like La Nuit a little more, but London is definitely a great scent as well.

Basenotes Plus

go with la nuit. also check out ysl l'homme. great fragrance for any occasion and any whether.

Egoiste, spray lightly and it shouldn't be too strong.

Terre D Hermes

London and The One

I think many of you forget one thing: he is not into this hobby (yet) as the rest of you, so being a beginner. he needs to get accustomed to notes, to certain smells. As much as i apreciate Egoiste, i would recommend to him from my point of view, but from his point of view i wouldn't because he might not be able to appreciate a fragrance as Egoiste at it's full potential.

My recommendation is to start sampling in the stores first and see what you like most and then check patterns and discover notes you enjoy. Based on this, you will discover your initial path in this hobby.

From your list, for a begginer, Boss Bottled, La Nuit and The One (please note that many have performance issues with this one) are better recommendations even though that London and Egoiste are better fragrances overall.

From your list, I'd suggest London for winter, La Nuit or Egoiste for the rest of the year.

I vote for Egoiste. It's a beautiful fragrance.