Code of Conduct

Default The sniff that changed your mind

I was a Chanel No5 hater for years. The only good thing I had to say was that it reminded me of a favorite aunt in my childhood (who has since moved on to other scents). I'd test it every so often, but took comfort in the fact that there's a pretty vocal community of anti-No5 perfumistas.

Saturday night, I was at Ulta looking for makeup, and they had the big Christmas bottle of No5 EDP as the front display. Since I was unfragranced, I decided to give it a shot to the back of a hand. I gave it a moment to dry, and then...

MAGIC! Out of nowhere, all the rose and jasmine gorgeousness that I'd missed was there. I couldn't stop sniffing my hand, and after making my purchase I stopped for another spritz (since I was wearing it, I might as well be WEARING it, yaknow?). I spent the rest of my shopping trip feeling very pretty, indeed.

How about you? Tell me about the sniff that changed YOUR mind about a scent- for better or for worse...

Default Re: The sniff that changed your mind

I didn't GET Shalimar until a Basenoter sent me the pure parfum. Ah! That was what they were raving about! Yum.

queen of the universe

Not so far, tho I may have to revisit Aromatics Elixir.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

This happened to me with Chanel No. 5 as well. I think I'd been predisposed to think of it as old lady but when I really stopped to sniff it for its own merits, I found it beautiful.

Blog Entries

Numerous times, I've changed my mind about a frag. One in particular; Serge Lutens- Iris Silver Mist at first I didn't understand it at all. It is a root-based scent, for one thing. It doesn't smell like Iris, really. But when you give it a chance, it is heart-breakingly beautiful in its sensuous expression of cool, dark foggy places. Very appropriately named, I think.

Basenotes Plus

Angel! I hated it with a passion but something about it compelled me to keep trying until one day it just clicked for me. Just like that, from hate to love. Now it's one I never want to be without.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    I didn't GET Shalimar until a Basenoter sent me the pure parfum. Ah! That was what they were raving about! Yum.
    Shalimar EDT got one of my mind-changing sniffs. I was in Sephora, and smelled it, and just GOT IT - BAM! All the notes and effects and facets and sides that everybody had been talking about, and I was entranced.

Chanel no. 5 Eau Première got me in a series of sniffs, but I remember the one that said "OK, guy - you are buying this stuff!"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Amber Absolute got me hooked on ambers..
    I still have not found an oud to make me want a FB

A partly similar situation happened to me regarding Joop Homme: at first, perceived it as nauseatingly sweet, burnt sugar-caramel type of fragrance, but later on and after numerous additional testings, it seemed muted into something mellower, definitely more tolerable and less syrupy sweet, also less brutally overpowering and slightly more balanced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Amber Absolute got me hooked on ambers..
    I still have not found an oud to make me want a FB
    Have you tried Montale- Black Aoud? Sensuous, dark roses.

I also didn't think much of Chanel No.5​ until I took a chance and bought the pure parfum. I figured it was the only way to get the true fragrance experience and I was right. Juicy jasmine and subtle aldehydes. A real classic femme scent. Just makes you feel like a roll in the hay is in order.

Welcome, Kate! I was not interested in vetiver fragrances for a long time until I tried the Guerlain Vetiver for men. Now I like Sycomore, Encre Noire and Lubin Bluff.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Angel! I hated it with a passion but something about it compelled me to keep trying until one day it just clicked for me. Just like that, from hate to love. Now it's one I never want to be without.
    The Leather edition of Angel is the one that got hooks in me, and the original is seeming more and more like a good idea.

SoOud - Nur opened my eyes that not all perfumes that have fruits as a note have to be sickly fruity/sweet.

Apricot in this case.

for swap/sale: