Code of Conduct

Default Hermessence Longevity?

I received some generously sized samples from the Hermessence line recently: Poivre Samarcande, Paprika Brasil, Vetiver Tonka, and Brin de Reglisse. Maybe with the exception of Vetiver Tonka, I was dismayed at how quickly they disappeared on me. Has anyone else noticed this? "Are these cologne concentrations?" I wondered, but don't see that mentioned anywhere....

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hermessence Longevity?

Elena is known for his light transparent style, especially with his creations for Hemés.

They are EDT. The only two from the line I got good longevity are AM and VT. AM lasts extremely long time on me and projects like a beast.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

I love the entire line, and although the longevity is a bit weaker than other exclusive lines, they're well crafted IMO.

(2063)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

might also be a problem with pouring/dabbing them on instead of spraying. I find L'Artisan's for example work better when sprayed fully but their samples only allow for dabs so it under represents the projection.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

As witsiamese was saying, the perfumer's style is indeed light and transparent. that said, the ones you mention, save VT, are probably the most transient in the line. Most others should give you more longevity, though it's still not going to be anywhere close to more powerful fragrances.

cacio

They're generally very short lived but project well till their early demise.

Perhaps the reasoning is clientele of a certain nature frequently change their clothes during the day.
    To suit what they're doing at any given hour of the day and therefore short lived perfumes are more practical.
    Last edited by hedonist222; 25th December 2013 at 06:35 AM.

for swap/sale:

^ interesting theory, I never would have thought of that
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

^ Makes sense. I think it's pretty reasonable to wear two or three of them in a day. The Hermès eaux are even more suitable for getting snuck in before and after day and evening fragrances.

I think its very feasible to wear 3 perfumes on a weekend.

1 perfume for early morning outing - till noon'ish
    Another pefume from noon to early evening
    Then a third perfume for the evening.

for swap/sale:

It depends on the fragrance itself. I wear three of the line. For example, Hermessence Rose Ikebana, although fresh and fairly light, lasts on me for a very long time--all day! Ambre Narguile is long lasting as well. Santal Massoia is gone within 3- max. 4 hours. (I don't spray a lot and avoid spraying directly on clothes.)

I seem to get the best longevity from Ambre Narguile and Brin de Reglisse.

(2188)
    Last edited by hednic; 28th December 2013 at 01:31 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Janjanjan View Post
    I received some generously sized samples from the Hermessence line recently: Poivre Samarcande, Paprika Brasil, Vetiver Tonka, and Brin de Reglisse. Maybe with the exception of Vetiver Tonka, I was dismayed at how quickly they disappeared on me. Has anyone else noticed this? "Are these cologne concentrations?" I wondered, but don't see that mentioned anywhere....
    It's not just about concentrations, but about composition and materials. Consider Brin de Réglisse: lavender and licorice. Both are not exactly heart- or basenote materials. Besides the ubiquitous fixative (musk?), what else can be put into this composition to slow down the evaporation? But if a new material is added, would the smell be the same?

Wonderful scents but weak longevity and sillage. I think the concentrations are 78 to 80% alcohol, but I don't have that information readily at hand. The literature states this so you can find out at a boutique.

The Santal Massoia is wonderful but fleeting. The Amber Narguile seems to be the best for longevity and sillage for me.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Poivre Samarcande, Paprika Brasil and Brin de Reglisse are very weak although they are oriental/woody while other such as Iris Ukiyoé or Rose Ikebana last for quite a long time while being more fresh/floral

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    while others such as Iris Ukiyoé or Rose Ikebana last for quite a long time while being more fresh/floral
    Come to think of it, Iris Ukiyoe does have pretty good staying power on my skin.

(2236)

Quote Originally Posted by Maque View Post
    It's not just about concentrations, but about composition and materials. Consider Brin de Réglisse: lavender and licorice. Both are not exactly heart- or basenote materials. Besides the ubiquitous fixative (musk?), what else can be put into this composition to slow down the evaporation? But if a new material is added, would the smell be the same?
    That's a good point and would explain things. Kinda sad though - Brin de Reglisse was my favorite of the four, but I would rather save my $ at this price point for something that would last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Perhaps the reasoning is clientele of a certain nature frequently change their clothes during the day.
    To suit what they're doing at any given hour of the day and therefore short lived perfumes are more practical.
    +1 I agree 100% with this reasoning. It also influences users to apply more, thus increasing the volume of sales.

Wasn't there a subculture of grooming aficionados, who prided themselves in how quickly they can finish the bottle of Eau d'Hermès, by ritualistically bathing themselves in it?
    Last edited by Arij; 29th December 2013 at 06:10 AM.

I got 4 samples as well. Vetiver Tonka is my favorite. But I've found that they all are weak on longevity.

I just take 'em as they come . . . most are what I would call quite sheer, altho the longevity thing can be very deceptive - some will resurface after a few hours with a shift in temperature or location. I get the impression JCE likes to play sleight of hand with very customized molecules in the Hermessences Collection and part of that is creating the illusion of 'nothingness' / space, while at the same time giving the wearer a sort of olfactory cashmere scarf that's feather light - you know the 'pashimina that can be pulled thru your wedding ring' kind of effect. Santal Massoia is a perfect example, and, in its own way, Vanille Galante.

Personally I just like to grab a box of 4 x Travel size every now and then to try the new one(s) and ensure I have some Vetiver Tonka & Brin de Reglisse for short haul trips around the region, for which they are indispensable - terrific pocket sized alternative to carting round a 100ml bottle of Eau du Coq or Cologne du Parfumeur.

^ The 4ml vials are indeed quite nice. I plan to refill them with other fragrances when they've been exhausted.

IMG_7970.jpg

You're referring to the sample tubes on the right, cytherian? They're a decent size - nice to get a proper sample when you want to try something. I was talking about the travel sizes that come in pic 'n mix boxes of four, which are unfortunately not refillable Middle of the pic). The Hermes leather travel ones on the left are, though - I use them for a couple of favorites when I travel, as well.

I really enjoy this line; unfortunately, it's my opinion that the asking price is excessive. My favorite is Épice Marine, sort of a salty lime scent that teases toward a margarita. Considering its citrus qualities, I found it had pretty good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    You're referring to the sample tubes on the right, cytherian? They're a decent size - nice to get a proper sample when you want to try something. I was talking about the travel sizes that come in pic 'n mix boxes of four, which are unfortunately not refillable Middle of the pic). The Hermes leather travel ones on the left are, though - I use them for a couple of favorites when I travel, as well.
    Yes, that's right MR. I haven't seen the travel sizes. That's a shame you cannot reuse them. You'd think the fragrance companies would be more concerned about 25ml and up sizes only. If they made these travel flacons reusable you could easily refill them from your primary bottles. Would work out nicely for those who travel. Thankfully there are decent refillable bottles on the market. I picked up a few 15ml square ones that do the job quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBeach View Post
    I really enjoy this line; unfortunately, it's my opinion that the asking price is excessive. My favorite is Épice Marine, sort of a salty lime scent that teases toward a margarita. Considering its citrus qualities, I found it had pretty good longevity.
    I feel the same way, that the Hermessence line has a nice range but all lack on longevity. It suggests they're stingy on the contents. Meanwhile, any of the common forum threads found about perfume costs often have people chiming in about how the bottles cost more than the contents. It does seem rather silly since customers are going to notice a fragrance being weak on longevity and think twice about getting it again. Or the marketing team decided that the buyer profile will be wealthy enough not to care and simply re-apply periodically.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    I feel the same way, that the Hermessence line has a nice range but all lack on longevity. It suggests they're stingy on the contents. Meanwhile, any of the common forum threads found about perfume costs often have people chiming in about how the bottles cost more than the contents. It does seem rather silly since customers are going to notice a fragrance being weak on longevity and think twice about getting it again. Or the marketing team decided that the buyer profile will be wealthy enough not to care and simply re-apply periodically.
    I think sometimes, we forget that we are not the only customers on the market, i.e., perfume aficionados. A lot of business is generated by sales to the general masses who do not give two hoots about what BNers or perfume bloggers say. They also mostly do not care that much about longevity or projection, or composition or complexity or development.

That said, Hermès appears to have a tiered approach towards perfume as luxury. The Hermessence collection is apparently a 2nd-level collection, not really for mass markets, only for true consumers of luxury and craft (I suppose perfume lovers can be considered the second category). Artistry (and a lack of concern for longevity) and high prices come with that territory.

Even so, not every perfume lover is fixated on good longevity for perfumes.

I tend to agree with Maque above.

And regarding 'stingy' I doubt that's the issue - if anyone knows what he's doing with ingredients it would be Ellena and I doubt the bean counters are asking him to dial back on the whatever to save a few bucks here and there. He is the guy who has the team at the most exclusive lab slicing molecules for him - he's not ordering off the shelf. I think we could very safely say the Hermessences don't go out unless they achieve exactly the effect Ellena wants them to have, and that includes longevity. Some are very tenacious to me, others not so, but I am prepared to accept a shot of something sublime every now and then and on the occasions I want something that endures there are other things that scratch that itch. One thing I do not want is something that overstays its welcome and from reading here how highly valued some nuclear strength favourites are it's clear I'm one of the odd ones out - generally longevity beyond 5 or 6 hours = cheap chemical ballast from my experience.

Ultimately it's the composition that matters to me and there are 4 or 5 Hermessences that I find quite unique so I take them as they come. Osmanthe Yunnan is probably the most fleeting but there's nothing out there that comes close so I'm happy to keep a 14ml (or whatever they are) handy. They are not cheap (mind you, nothing in a Hermes boutique is) but I think they have held their price quite steady compared to the leaps and bounds some brands seem to be taking over the last couple of years - it seems an annual price-hike is almost mandatory in the industry these days.

Interesting discussion and great to hear some considered thoughts . . . the more i think about it, the more I see the Hermessences as inhabiting quite a little world of their own. Like 'em or not, they pretty much exist independent of prevailing trends or 'note du jour' stuff. It will be very interesting to see how the next few years unfold now that JCE is 'handing over'.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 2nd January 2014 at 02:43 PM.

I agree, not every perfume lover is fixated on longevity. But seriously... it doesn't matter what product it is, if it doesn't last very long you'll notice it (teeth whitener, hair coloring, gel pen refill, etc.). Now, what you do about it matters next. I'm sure some people just shrug their shoulders and make a point of re-applying as needed. Maybe some designers are thinking of people wanting the "option" for a fragrance not to last too long, so that it is easy to dispense with when entering a fragrance averse environment, or simply being flexible to easily apply something else later on in the day/evening. But just how much convenience do we really need in society? A good soap will wash away most fragrances. I'd rather have something that lasts, especially if it's expensive and I chose it because I love it.

Incidentally, I have chatted with some people who use fragrances and are not so indulged as to be on a fragrance forum. And when I mentioned longevity, most were well aware of how the ones they've bought lately don't last like they used to. Of course, anecdotal evidence doesn't carry much sway... but I didn't "lead the witnesses" in this case.

Basenotes Plus

I like the whole Hermessence line just the way it is, I wouldn't change a thing.
    Last edited by Kiliwia; 5th January 2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Basenotes Junkie

I've found both Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka to last a very long time on me. Santal Massoia and Poivre Samarcand have been more fleeting and short lived, but I've received compliments on their subtle aura. Massoia didn't really garner me that much praise, more confusion as to what I was doing with a very feminine scent. Ended up giving it to my girlfriend - and it smells divine on her.

Anyways, I haven't really had issues with Hermessence Longevity, but they're by no means monsters in that department.

I get good longevity out of VT, AN and VG, I would even say enough for my needs. SM and BdR were very disappointingly fleeting. I really need my fragrances to last some more than 3 hours - but then again, I'm no jetsetter.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

I get average out of Vetiver Tonka.

I have been finding that with adequate moisturizing, I can boost longevity a bit. I guess the lotion can act as a substrate to help absorb fragrance rather than let it get absorbed by the skin (and thus no longer be detectable). There's also the matter of the seasons. If you have a dry/arid environment, I suspect longevity won't be very good for most any fragrance.

So if a fragrance is just inherently shy on longevity, there is always the measure of bringing along a small spray bottle to freshen yourself. Of course, the more sprays the faster the fragrance goes and... when you're talking $2.4/1ml, that can be a bit annoying.

I agree with Janjanjan. I appreciate the quality, but these are so expensive that they aren't worth it for me. Actually I feel the same way about most of the Chanel exclusifs as well: two of my favorites don't last much past a few hours either.

Quote Originally Posted by Janjanjan View Post
    That's a good point and would explain things. Kinda sad though - Brin de Reglisse was my favorite of the four, but I would rather save my $ at this price point for something that would last longer.

Seriously, hermessence is weak. I get better projectivity with Voyage and Terre than when I use hermessence line.

poor sillage and longevity i wouldnt never spend so much money for these perfumes

Basenotes Institution

I love their sheet, transparent style. It's a nice refreshing change-of-pace from the hissy, radiant, hit-you-over-the-head designer scents that I'm surrounded by every day.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I agree, Mike.

I wore Santal Massoia on Sunday - I had dismissed this initially due to it's non sandalwoodiness but it's great if you take it for what it is and it actually stayed very present for hours . . . and hours.