Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 26 December 2013.

Hi everyone - have a great day!

Slumberhouse - Mare.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 26 December 2013.

Enjoying another Christmas present this evening. L’heure Bleue EdT, utterly beautiful. Dabbed the vintage perfume bath oil on one hand, and finding it wears beautifully on the skin.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, Donna Karan Cashmere Mist for me. Have a great day.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. - Thursday, 26 December 2013.

The photo is a courtesy of Monsieur Guerlain
    https://www.facebook.com/monsieurguerlain
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Sampling Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque this AM
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

hello all,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,vintage (1992) EDT; one of the very first Héritage flacons
    Last edited by easyfish; 26th December 2013 at 02:07 PM.

Hello all. Terry de Gunzburg Ombre Mercure.
    DONNA

Good afternoon! I am wearing some Alien that my
    eldest son bought me for Christmas.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Ambre Precieux

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Sampling Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque this AM
    A favourite of mine, kbe.
    Joining the Guerlain Gang in Jicky (extrait).

Best to all.

Good morning, La Maison de la Vanille Noir de Mexique, spent a quiet Christmas day at home with Mr.T -- yes, he is home.

Have a nice day and Happy Boxing Day.

Basenotes Institution

Happy Boxing Day!

At the office, but I'm not worried since it's my last day before my VACATION STARTS tomorrow (9 days in LA & Palm Springs)!!!

Wearing the spicy/cinnamon-y:

White by Comme des Garcons

"One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Hi, all--

Happy Boxing Day! I am wearing Amber Absolute by Tom Ford today.

Good Morning!

Richard by Micallef

(2129)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blue Agave and Cacao by Jo Malone as suggested by using the Pick Me Something Random to Wear button.

Back to work today but it won't be very productive since hardly anyone else is working this week. Oh well, maybe I'll go outside and enjoy the sunshine. Have a good day everyone.

Chicagoista, my condolences to you and your family; I'm so very sorry for your loss.

(((Twolf and Mr. T))) -- home is just better. Period. Also, you smell lovely Twolfie; I find I'm quite partial to LMdlV's line of "travel" vanillas. Givree des Antilles is the bottle I have, but I enjoy them all

Belated wishes for a Happy Birthday to Rosebud, a Happy Anniversary to kalli and Mr. kalli, a Merry Christmas to those in the US, and a Happy Christmas to those across the pond. Jon, I've been loving your NZ photos. Wowza! What a way to spend the holidays!

Missing you, too, (((Xscent)))!

And last, but not least, yes, Evangeline, I would roll the dice on Rose Volupte -- the labdanum in this version is not quite as powdery and the amber is a bit more pronounced. "Vintage" is still a good adjective for this fragrance, but because of the amber, it now feels more than just "vintage" to me … "baroque" is probably the best description. The amber embellishes it more, and I LOVE it. Btw, I also really love Winter Woods -- which I own -- and Tabac Aurea -- which David owns and I constantly snurffle at his neck when he wears it. It feels pretty clearly unisex to me, though, and if he didn't own it and love it so much, I would!

Work has been ridiculous this month. I had a 3-day business trip last week and I worked Monday, but now I'm mostly off until next Monday. So, almost a week's vacation. Not bad. But as soon as January's over, I'm taking a proper vacation. I'll need to start planning that soon!

Yesterday, I wore VC&A Bois d'Iris. Good lord! Now *that's* what a woody iris should smell like. There's a 4th iris I love!

I got David a bottle of L'Air du Desert Marocain for Christmas, and I picked up some more samples with the order, so that's what I've been doing the last couple of days and what I'll continue doing today. I've tried Profumum Dolce Acqua (liked quite a bit, but it's very similar to PG Tonkamande, which I prefer) and Profumum Dulcis in Fundo -- I loved everything but the dry-down, which devolved (for me) into a white musk. I'm finding that ever since that zinger of a migraine I had last year, I am *highly* sensitive to white or Egyptian musk; the scent makes me feel nauseated. If it's dirty and skanky, I'm OK, thank goodness.

This morning I'm sampling Profumum Santalum (reformulation) -- meh so far -- and Profumum Fiore d'Ambra -- to me, a very powdery, synthetic amber which may need to be scrubbed. Soon.
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 26th December 2013 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Chicagoista, my condolences to you and your family; I'm so very sorry for your loss...

This morning I'm sampling Profumum Santalum (reformulation) -- meh so far -- and Profumum Fiore d'Ambra -- to me, a very powdery, synthetic amber which may need to be scrubbed. Soon.
    Thank you, ExtremeK, for your words.

Someone posted recently about Fiore d'Ambra, citing that it was similar to Opium. Thoughts? My SOTD, Amber Absolute is my fave amber. Any resemblance?

I haven't smelled Opium in years and so can't comment on that. Opium is listed among the notes for FdA, but I take that with a (huge) grain of salt. As Amber Absolute is 1/3 of my Holy Trinity of ambers, I can quite confidently say that FdA has ZERO resemblance to Amber Absolute, other than the "a," the "m," the "b," and the "r". AA is far superior.

I'll be testing Profumum Ambra Aurea a bit later -- once I've finally scrubbed off all the Fiore d' Ambra --, and that one has more promise, based on my quick sniff of the tester …. I'll let you know
    Last edited by ExtremeK; 26th December 2013 at 04:29 PM.

Hello everyone -

We're feeling a bit tender after the last few days of merry-making, so I'm treating myself to a big, soft and cuddly cloud of Guerlain Iris Ganache.

Y'all have a great day!

Chicagoista - I somehow missed the sad news, but I'm so sorry to read about your aunt. The holidays are an especially difficult time to be dealing with grief and loss - you and yours have my deepest sympathy.

mike - I'm so pleased your solo-Christmas was merry and bright, but I had no doubt you'd be able to make to best of it. And now nine days in Palm Springs - yahoo! Have a fantastic time!

ExtremeK - you sold me with "baroque" ...well, and "rose" and "vintage" and "amber" and "labdanum", lol ...seriously, how can I not love that one? Thanks!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

You will love it, E! Can't wait to hear your report.

So, Profumum Ambra Aurea … yeah, this one is miiiiiiiiles better than Fiore d'Ambra. It's as if Amber Absolute and Ambre Sultan snogged in the corner but only Ambre Sultan survived the experience I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting, but it smells both herbal and incense-y medicinal. Not oud-y medicinal, but incense-y medicinal. And the amber is really deep, very much like Amber Absolute, Ambre Sultan, and HdP Ambre 114. But since I already own AA and AS, and Ambre 114 is on my "to-buy" list (plus I also own PdE Ambre Russe), Ambra Aurea feels redundant. LOVELY but redundant.

Basenotes Plus

Yesterday, I wore VC&A Bois d'Iris. Good lord! Now *that's* what a woody iris should smell like. There's a 4th iris I love!
    I had a feeling you might

Wolfie, very glad to hear that Mr T is home.

Doing Iris here too today with Serge.

Safe travels, Mike - have a great trip.

We are off travelling around the south island here for the next 10 days - as I will be incommunicado for a while I may as well take the opportunity to prematurely wish everyone a very Happy New Year. A fragrant and fulfilling 2014 to one and all.

PS - G, the following have already been pencilled in as part of the itinerary -

http://www.penguins.co.nz/

http://www.albatross.org.nz/

See y'all in 2014.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 26th December 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Evening all!

Jon & mike, enjoy your travels!

Twolf, glad to hear you two are at home together.

Chicagoista, from memory, l didn't find Fiore d'Ambra anything at all like Opium, which is *far* more heavy & spicy to my nose.
    ExtremeK, l too found Ambra Aurea to be an excellent amber, & l agree it is up there with Amber Absolute. Ambra Nera by Farmacia SS. Annunziata is my other favourite.

l had a day off today; a luxuriously long lie-in, smoked salmon with scrambled eggs cooked by Mr teardrop, a long, hot bath with a Lush bath melt l got for Christmas, & lots of lounging in front of the TV with nibbles & chocolates. Bliss!

l wore Seville a L'Aube again today; l pegged this as a spring/summer scent when l first tried it, but it's working beautifully on this winter's day. And l'd never seen a L'Artisan bottle in person until now; l always thought they were kind of rectangular, l didn't realise they had seven sides! lt's such a lovely, heavy & chunky bottle & l adore it.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

You will love it, E! Can't wait to hear your report.

So, Profumum Ambra Aurea … yeah, this one is miiiiiiiiles better than Fiore d'Ambra. It's as if Amber Absolute and Ambre Sultan snogged in the corner but only Ambre Sultan survived the experience I'm not exactly sure what I'm getting, but it smells both herbal and incense-y medicinal. Not oud-y medicinal, but incense-y medicinal. And the amber is really deep, very much like Amber Absolute, Ambre Sultan, and HdP Ambre 114. But since I already own AA and AS, and Ambre 114 is on my "to-buy" list (plus I also own PdE Ambre Russe), Ambra Aurea feels redundant. LOVELY but redundant.
    This is good info, ExtremeK! Thanks. I haven't tried HdP Ambre 114 yet. Have to say, I am not a huge Ambre Sultan fan. Used to own a bottle. As an SA at Barney's said to me, "Amber Absolute is dry. Ambre Sultan is wet." An interesting way to distinguish the two, and I think it's a good one.

Evangeline--thank you.

Hi, all. Just popping in to say hello. Hello!!! Chanel Cuir de Russie edt today. Santa delivered it yesterday.

Basenotes Plus

Turquoise Water, it's so good to see you here! Congratulations on the Cuir de Russie!!

Wearing Carthusia Uomo this afternoon.

Have a great evening, everyone!

Thanks, it's good to see you too, Kiliwia!

Armani Prive - Bois d'Encens

Eau de Charlotte.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hugs all around!

I've been wearing L'Artisan Fleur d'Oranger today as we continued to hunt for a car for our daughter. She test drove 3 cars today: 2 Hondas and a Hyundai. Tomorrow we'll be checking out a low mileage 2010 Corolla.

My cat had surgery Monday, and today we learned that the growths removed from his skin were cancerous! Sebaceous adenocarcinoma, to be precise. It's not likely to have spread to the lymphatic system, given the location and our having caught it relatively early. Hopefully that is that.

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Accord Parfait: Boise (Heliotrope and Santal) from a small decant. It's not available in the US, not sure about availability in Europe. It is sweet, powdery, woody, almond candy-like and all around yummy!

Chicagoista, sending my condolences on your aunt's passing ...

Mike, enjoy your vacation!

Jon, how fun to see the penguins! Have a great time!

Twolf, I'm happy to hear that the Mr is home. Hope he is feeling much better.

kbe, how are you liking the Cuir Mauresque? I see I'm in good company with gandhajala ... it is one of my favorites too!

hugs to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Hey y'all -

I'm in Malle's Portrait of a Lady for the evening. Good night, everyone!

.................................Pablo Picasso - Woman With Book, 1932
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Woke up with big craving for vetiver tried TF Grey Vetiver for yoga and run this morning found it didn't quite cut it, I needed more smokiness so I moved on to Scyamore, much better.

Mike happy travels. Maybe some pics?

Twolf very pleased to hear Mr T is home.

Teardrop your day sounds divine, that's certainly the way to do it.

30 Roses glad they caught it early, fingers crossed that the end of it.

Jon enjoy the South Island, I have family friends down Dunedin way, ultimate for me would be to see the All Blacks play.

ExtremeK Yayyyyy, finally caught you and tag! Looks like I might be in Melbourne for work next week. Hope you enjoy your down time and see if you can plan a vacay for June

Have a lovely evening everyone.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran