Code of Conduct

Default Potential purchases, would like input

I'm planning to buy myself an after Christmas present, and would like some input on the frags I am looking at. Many of these would be blind buys but so far I've had good luck with them.

One note is that anything I buy has to be versatile and especially be able to be worn at the office. For guidance, my current five favorite scents are Guerlain Heritage, Creed Windsor, L'Occitane Eau des Baux, Chanel Egoiste, and YSL Rive Gauche PH.

TM Pure Havane - I have a decant and like it.
    Burberry London backup bottle - worn seasonally as it's "Christmas in a bottle" but longevity is meh on me
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme - Gets a lot of recommendations here, is this something I can wear to work?
    YSL Jazz - worried about the prominent lavender note, as that overwhelms my nose
    Aramis Tuscany Per Oumo - notes look good but worried that it's too citrusy, I have a bit of a time enjoying Coriolan because it is also strong on the citrus to my nose
    Serge Lutens Chergui - tobacco and incense
    Serge Lutens Fille En Aiguilles - pine and incense? maybe better

Thoughts? Maybe something else I haven't thought of or don't even know about?
    Last edited by insomniac; 26th December 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Default Re: Potential purchases, would like input

Gucci Pour Homme II is a nice office scent.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Chergui and La Nuit would be good for the office..

Also something safe like Lalique L'Hommage

Two of my all time faves, Penhaligon's Endymion and Dior Eau Sauvage - both fine for anywhere, decent longevity, (at least on me) women like them for the most part and another safe bet is Burberry Touch

Terre D'Hermes Parfum

(2140)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tuscany is more green-vegetal than citrusy, so it shouldn't be a big problem, and it's a good safe choice.

For something more expensive/niche, the Lutens are certainly good choices (Chergui is smoother/drier, FeA is more piney incensy), as would be several other Lutenses (Ambre sultan if you like spices and amber, Jeux de peau for gourmand, etc).
    Alternatively, you could go classic with something like Etat Libre d'Orange Je suis un homme, a wood-leather-incense from the quirky brand I like a lot.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Two of my all time faves, Penhaligon's Endymion and Dior Eau Sauvage - both fine for anywhere, decent longevity, (at least on me) women like them for the most part and another safe bet is Burberry Touch
    Hmmmm, I have tried Endymion shaving cream/balm, the scent is nice there, that may be an option. Didn't think about Dior Eau Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Terre D'Hermes Parfum
    That's a great option, I like the EdT.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Tuscany is more green-vegetal than citrusy, so it shouldn't be a big problem, and it's a good safe choice.

For something more expensive/niche, the Lutens are certainly good choices (Chergui is smoother/drier, FeA is more piney incensy), as would be several other Lutenses (Ambre sultan if you like spices and amber, Jeux de peau for gourmand, etc).
    Alternatively, you could go classic with something like Etat Libre d'Orange Je suis un homme, a wood-leather-incense from the quirky brand I like a lot.

cacio
    So... I don't think I've ever tried an "amber", what is it like?

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Diptyque Tam Dao

Pure Havane.

I hear this was re-lease and now going away again.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Kenneth Cole Black
    Diptyque Tam Dao
    I have a decant of Grey Vetiver, not all that impressed sadly. I prefer Guerlain.
    Tried Allure Homme (regular) at Nordstroms, at least on a testing strip, wasn't impressed either sadly.
    Tam Dao is awesome stuff, I've been thinking about getting the EdP.
    Speaking of fragrances with Black in the name, I was also thinking Back to Black though I'd probably get a sample first.

Eau des Baux and YSL Rive Gauche are amazing scents and very safe....Leaning a little more toward Eau Des Baux because I get more compliments on it...also, highly recommend MFK Amyris and Fougere Royale....Both EXCELLENT but a little on the higher end in terms of cost....Floris Santal is fantastic and Escentric 02 is a nice office scent too that won't make people run the other direction...I personally think Chergui or ANY Lutens fragrance is just simply TOO STRONG for office wear....I look at those as more going out scents or special occasion...Just my humble opinion...

I really like Fille en Aiguilles, but "versatile, office scent" is not where I would place it at all. To me FEA is a Fall/Winter festive type of scent. If you think London is Christmas in a bottle, try this stuff...

Chergui would drive me nuts if I had to wear it or smell it on somebody every day at work.

Personally, I do not like La Nuit de L'Homme, but it seems like a safe choice.

Of the ones you're considering, I'd go with Pure Havane.

But I like my work scents a little bit crisper, or lighter than Pure Havane. Here's a few you might like for work:

Individuel by Mont Blanc--very clean, sweet, crisp, modern...great longevity and silage. Awesome work scent. Pretty cheap too.

Presence by Mont Blanc--also very good--a green apple and cinnamon, white musk a little reminiscent of Jaipur Homme and Le Male, but crisper and spicier than Le Male and not as "fancy" as Jaipur Homme. Clean, smooth, different. It's good.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi--More expensive, but my all time favorite work scent. A crisp, aromatic citrus vetiver based fragrance. Lively, warm, sober, and completely classy. Very easy to wear. This stuff is so good and I hear so little about it.

CH Men--Smells like the sap of a pine tree with leather undertones, a healthy dose of saffron and vanilla. Functions easily between a casual scent you can wear to work and a date fragrance. Goes for around $70 for a 3.4.

Eau Duelle by Diptyque: A vanilla based fragrance--somewhat smoky and woodsy. The notes list no woods or smoky things, but that's what I get. I suppose it's resiny. But either way, this is a very comfortable, easy-to-wear vanilla frag that isn't overly sweet or cloying in the least. Good stuff.
    Looking to Swap: Christopher Street by Charenton Macerations: I have a brand new unopened bottle. If you're interested, send me a message.

Looking for: Amyris Homme: If you want it off your hands, send me a message. I'd prefer to swap for it.

Prada Amber pour Homme is a great work scent.

Creed MI is still my ultimate versatile scent and it shines in the office environment. Love and Luck does the job (minus the signature drydown) so I'd take a look at that - 1/10 of the cost so you could potentially use it every other day without breaking the bank.

Sent from my HTC One

Pine/Incense - Comme des Garcons Zagorsk. Wearing it now and it seems very versatile, light, yet long lasting and leaves quite a trail with 2 sprays. I love Chergui, it's just not that versatile.
    Last edited by rynegne; 26th December 2013 at 08:56 PM.

My personal vote is for Chergui. You have quite a few great ones on your list, but I like this one the best. Ironically, I did not like it at first, so I'd recommend you get some samples or decants of them first and then make a decision.

Ambers smell warm, resinous, slightly sweet and dark in feel. They're part of many gourmand and oriental fragrances, so you've smelled them already without realizing.

acio

Of the ones you mention I would go with Fille en Aiguilles.

Get the Havane. La Nuit would be good for work. Doesnt seem like you even like a few of the others. Skip London. Dont blind buy Tuscany or Jazz.

My brother has La Nuit Frozen (a gift from me) and uses it for work often as its the more versatile version of La Nuit. Doesn't go too heavy on the sprays.

I think that a great fragrance for work (and anything else) is Dior Homme Sport (2012). I can't say enough good things about this scent. Can't think of a time or occasion where it doesn't work. It's fresh and warm at the same time (lemons and ginger top notes), active but smooth and elegant (its a cedar base but the rich iris flows throughout). It's worth considering imho...

Paco Rabanne pour homme

Eau Sauvage, Rive Gauche, Lalique White are three that work for me at the office.

I like La Nuit the best of these for the office. I'd choose Pure Havane, La Nuit, or Chergui

Pure Havane

Another recommendation for Pure Havane, possibly Burberry London as a second option

Pure Havane. Without doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Individuel by Mont Blanc--very clean, sweet, crisp, modern...great longevity and silage. Awesome work scent. Pretty cheap too.

Presence by Mont Blanc--also very good--a green apple and cinnamon, white musk a little reminiscent of Jaipur Homme and Le Male, but crisper and spicier than Le Male and not as "fancy" as Jaipur Homme. Clean, smooth, different. It's good.

Uomo by Lorenzo Villoresi--More expensive, but my all time favorite work scent. A crisp, aromatic citrus vetiver based fragrance. Lively, warm, sober, and completely classy. Very easy to wear. This stuff is so good and I hear so little about it.

CH Men--Smells like the sap of a pine tree with leather undertones, a healthy dose of saffron and vanilla. Functions easily between a casual scent you can wear to work and a date fragrance. Goes for around $70 for a 3.4.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Reading the reviews of Individuel, a lot of people describe it as "sweet" - would you say it's overly so? I'm not sure how well I "wear" sweet. I see a lot of comparisons to Creed Original Santal, would you agree?

One of these days I do want a Villoresi... that or Sandolo.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Pine/Incense - Comme des Garcons Zagorsk. Wearing it now and it seems very versatile, light, yet long lasting and leaves quite a trail with 2 sprays. I love Chergui, it's just not that versatile.
    I'm getting a big vibe of "Chergui is not versatile" which makes me shy away from it. I have a decant of Zagorsk and like it, but I haven't decided whether it's bottle worthy yet. Even Avignon, which I own and love the "high mass" smell, is terrific but doesn't feel incredibly versatile to me.

I'm leaning towards Pure Havane now, will wear it today. I'd like a more "wearable" tobacco than Tobacco Vanille.

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac View Post

I'm leaning towards Pure Havane now, will wear it today. I'd like a more "wearable" tobacco than Tobacco Vanille.
    That's exactly why I decided to purchase PH. Sometimes I want that tobacco but my TV just is too much for the occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    That's exactly why I decided to purchase PH. Sometimes I want that tobacco but my TV just is too much for the occasion.
    Yeah, I think after having worn this for a few hours, Pure Havane gives me a lot of what I was looking for.

I am seriously considering a Lutens blind buy just because, and am thinking of Ambre Sultan just because it seems so different than what I have and sometimes I like to roll the dice. Crazy?

Yeah, I think after having worn this for a few hours, Pure Havane gives me a lot of what I was looking for.

I am seriously considering a Lutens blind buy just because, and am thinking of Ambre Sultan just because it seems so different than what I have and sometimes I like to roll the dice. Crazy?
    That's a crazy blind buy. I absolutely would not! Chergui is a lot safer (and a truly amazing scent) but even then I wouldn't blind buy. Lutens is one of the worst perfumers to blind buy. They make smells as art, several of which that just aren't wearable IMO.

I prefer L'air du desert marocain to Ambre Sultan. Similar vibes from these two, LDDM is less spcy. AS smells like a spice cupboard. Literally. I can't think of any situation where I could wear that.

Sent from my HTC One
    Last edited by badr; 28th December 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Late Christmas present came in.

Terre D'Hermes EDP vs. Jaipur Homme EDP vs. Pure Malt vs. Chergui vs. Antaeus vs. LV Uomo vs. decant of either Tuscan Leather or Neroli Portofino vs. hunting down Guerlain Heritage EDP
    (already own ~10ml of Tuscan Leather)

Late Christmas present came in.

Terre D'Hermes EDP vs. Jaipur Homme EDP vs. Pure Malt vs. Chergui vs. Antaeus vs. LV Uomo vs. decant of either Tuscan Leather or Neroli Portofino vs. hunting down Guerlain Heritage EDP
    (already own ~10ml of Tuscan Leather)
    Neroli Portofino. Before you know it, spring and summer will be here and that fragrance really shines during those seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Neroli Portofino. Before you know it, spring and summer will be here and that fragrance really shines during those seasons.
    I live in Seattle, what is this "spring and summer" that you talk about?

I live in Seattle, what is this "spring and summer" that you talk about?
    LOL

I'm in Colorado where we experience all seasons and the temps are often below 0 in the winter and above 100 in the summer!

Personally I would stay away from Jazz as I'm not a fan and if you're not sure about it don't bother their are a lot better options (from what you like it seems you have developed a taste for quality). You can't got wrong with Serge Lutens.
    Well enjoying what you're wearing is crucial, it is of the utmost importance to wear something that others like as well.