Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default are alcohol based fragrances safe?

I am a fragrance lover and have been collecting fragrances for years but I have been hearing rather recently about the dangers of colognes and their toxicity.So I would like to know the facts about this issue.

Default Re: are alcohol based fragrances safe?

Welcome!

There are some studies on the dangers of certain chemicals written by chemical safety groups for consumers. It's really a personal choice, IMO. There are a lot of other lifestyle choices that are as much concern, such as driving a car and exposing oneself to the asbestos brake dust, riding a bike on a city street and inhaling exhaust, drinking soda pop with artificial sweeteners, or even eating food made from plants and animals that arer genetically modified. Who really knows?

Even so, think of all the scents and chemicals in laundry detergents and soaps?

For instance: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1894746.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Everything we eat has some type of chemical or steroid..
    Things like this will worry you to death..

Really just depends on how much you're drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Awesome.

Cologne is the least of my worries. They better spritz me with some dior homme when I'm in the casket.

Well, I've been collecting and using alcohol based fragrances for 40 years and I'm still around, so I don't think you need to worry.

(2204)
    Last edited by hednic; 27th December 2013 at 09:48 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Alcohol has traditionally been used for sterilising and disinfection of equipment and skin in hospital settings. Toxic? Sure, to pathogens.

Basenotes Member

ok thanks guys you really put my mind at ease ,I was worried that I would have to switch to oils!

Really just depends on how much you're drinking
    good one but I was referring to some sating that it was bad for the skin or causes rashes.

Anyway I am new in the forum and looking forward to contributing to discussions!

really appreciate your help guys

But oils can also be toxic, there are many which should never be used on the skin neat.

You enjoy and wear and someday we will all die.
    DONNA

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    But oils can also be toxic, there are many which should never be used on the skin neat.

You enjoy and wear and someday we will all die.
    Thanks donna,now that you put it that way it does seem kind of silly to worry about these things.

Can't be any worse than the chemicals in the foods we eat.

All matter is made up of chemicals. Carbohydrates, fats, water, oxygen--chemicals. Vague references to chemicals as a mysterious, sickening force really ought to be avoided. It's important to be specific as to what chemical you suspect of being harmful and by what mechanism it is so. If we're talking about alcohol, perfumers use high-grade ethyl alcohol that (if it were not denatured) would be suitable for ingestion though I can scarcely think of a more expensive way to get lit up. Alcohol can irritate the skin by virtue of being an astringent and by removing or displacing natural skin oils. That's not the same thing as being harmful, it's just potentially irritating. But in the quantities used in perfume application and the style in which it is applied (usually sans vigorous scrubbing), I doubt most people will have issues. Ultimately, it evaporates leaving no residue of its own though of course its payload remains, as intended.

The essential oils can be much more problematic as they are common allergens. Here, concentration matters. Most people will experience an adverse reaction to these materials if they were applied pure and unadulterated. But they are typically heavily diluted such that they fall below the threshold for the vast majority of people.

As things go, I think perfumes are a pretty low risk as the dilutions are so high and the quantities used so small and of the ingredients found in a perfume, the carrier medium (the alcohol, in this case) is probably the least of your worries though there isn't much to be worried about to begin with.

"Most people" is a key term. Some are much more sensitive so naturally there are exceptions.
    Last edited by JamesBeach; 1st January 2014 at 10:19 PM.