Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Plus

Default Re: New Fragrance: Dior Homme Eau for Men - Dior

It's bad. Very 'garden variety'. It's a shame because I thought Dior Homme was very unique smelling and innovative. Kinda why I stick to niche for the most part, no awful flankers
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Dior Homme
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

Quote Originally Posted by Preston H View Post
    It's bad.
    Sure is.

I'm still loving this one. Yes, I think the classic will always be a winner, but this is a nice, fresh alternative. It has the bones of the original, dries down with an alluring musk, and lasts forever.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I'm still loving this one. Yes, I think the classic will always be a winner, but this is a nice, fresh alternative. It has the bones of the original, dries down with an alluring musk, and lasts forever.
    I agree with all that. It's a Dior Homme I can wear through the summer. And yes, it does last forever...on my treadmill this morning I could still smell the Eau that I had applied 24 hours earlier as my body heat reactivated it.

Blog Entries

I finally came around to this one. My previous new release purchase was the Karl Lagerfeld Men, which wowed me at first, but began to bore me after a few weeks. I now dip into that one whenever I get an urge to wear an apple Aventus, which is only occasionally.

But I smelled DHEFM in the store - probably the 4th or 5th time - but this time, on a hot afternoon, and it just clicked. I've been wearing it almost every day, and it is really enjoyable, and seems to get positive reception from people around me. It fits in nicely between Dior Homme and Dior Homme Sport, in terms of wearability. It's a lot like Bleu de Chanel - just throw it on and you know that you're good to go. Cold - hot - suit or t-shirt - doesn't matter. One of the most easy-wearing and enjoyable frags since Bleu for me.

Longevity is awesome, but it manages to stay subtle all day, with occasional wisps of great fragrance. Heat up a bit and it blooms in a very civilized way.

Bottom line - it's Dior Homme that I don't really worry about throwing on. Brilliant marketing idea.

I must agree with positive comments-- I picked up a bottle of this and am very happy -- smells great, not overpowering but has excellent longevity.

"Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?" John Lydon

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I finally came around to this one. My previous new release purchase was the Karl Lagerfeld Men, which wowed me at first, but began to bore me after a few weeks. I now dip into that one whenever I get an urge to wear an apple Aventus, which is only occasionally.

But I smelled DHEFM in the store - probably the 4th or 5th time - but this time, on a hot afternoon, and it just clicked. I've been wearing it almost every day, and it is really enjoyable, and seems to get positive reception from people around me. It fits in nicely between Dior Homme and Dior Homme Sport, in terms of wearability. It's a lot like Bleu de Chanel - just throw it on and you know that you're good to go. Cold - hot - suit or t-shirt - doesn't matter. One of the most easy-wearing and enjoyable frags since Bleu for me.

Longevity is awesome, but it manages to stay subtle all day, with occasional wisps of great fragrance. Heat up a bit and it blooms in a very civilized way.

Bottom line - it's Dior Homme that I don't really worry about throwing on. Brilliant marketing idea.
    I agree with this statement exactly.

Incidentally I was fooled by the "Eau" into thinking it is a lighter scent... on my skin, don't know why, this thing performs beastly. I do my usual 3 sprays and it is too much... 2 is perfect. The weird thing is, it smells "light" but actually has outstanding projection and longevity.

byandthrough

Glad people are catching onto this one.

I absolutely love it and get fantastic performance with it almost every time. Always a guaranteed 8+ hours. I know it keeps getting compared to Fierce and Mont Blanc Legend, but I think it is way more refined, elegant, and smells of quality. I definitely agree that it is a good marketing move.

People who aren't fragrance enthusiasts will love it and the rest of us will also reap the benefits. Even though it's (for now) being exclusively sold at Macy's and is pretty much right in the public eye, I think Dior is still much more of an "upper-class" name to a lot of people who aren't in the fragrance game. I think the assumption that it is probably too expensive will tend to drive some folks away, though to some, $60-$80 is a "mid" price range for a designer frag.

I remember assuming that a Versace fragrance would be WAY out of my price range just because I thought it was associated with high fashion.

Anyway, my point is that I think Eau is still unique (even within the Homme line) and will probably dodge the mainstream hype of One Million, Acqua Di Gio, etc etc, and sit comfortably as a broadly appealing and highly versatile fragrance (on par with Bleu), but will be just obscure enough.
    Last edited by byandthrough; 16th April 2014 at 11:42 PM.

I agree with Red. I think this is Dior's "Bleu" except better. When I first heard of the release I though it might've just been a redundant addition to the fantastic Homme line but instead fit right in perfectly. I wore it a couple of days ago and found it a great quality, soft iris based scent with some woods and musk. It's perfect for casual use, unique compared to other department store releases and surprisingly the longevity is fantastic.

I think this is going to be a hit with the masses, I could tell when I went to the Bay today that the tester bottles were half empty and it was introduced here three weeks ago.

I enjoy the stuff and appreciate what Demachy did with it, contemporary, sleek and a worthy addition to a great line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I agree with this statement exactly.

Incidentally I was fooled by the "Eau" into thinking it is a lighter scent... on my skin, don't know why, this thing performs beastly. I do my usual 3 sprays and it is too much... 2 is perfect. The weird thing is, it smells "light" but actually has outstanding projection and longevity.
    Yes, I tried 2 today, and I felt much more comfortable in the elevators! With 3 sprays, I was having an "OK, everybody is noticing my cologne" moment, all day long!

Quote Originally Posted by byandthrough View Post
    Glad people are catching onto this one.

I absolutely love it and get fantastic performance with it almost every time. Always a guaranteed 8+ hours. I know it keeps getting compared to Fierce and Mont Blanc Legend, but I think it is way more refined, elegant, and smells of quality. I definitely agree that it is a good marketing move.

People who aren't fragrance enthusiasts will love it and the rest of us will also reap the benefits. Even though it's (for now) being exclusively sold at Macy's and is pretty much right in the public eye, I think Dior is still much more of an "upper-class" name to a lot of people who aren't in the fragrance game. I think the assumption that it is probably too expensive will tend to drive some folks away, though to some, $60-$80 is a "mid" price range for a designer frag.

I remember assuming that a Versace fragrance would be WAY out of my price range just because I thought it was associated with high fashion.

Anyway, my point is that I think Eau is still unique (even within the Homme line) and will probably dodge the mainstream hype of One Million, Acqua Di Gio, etc etc, and sit comfortably as a broadly appealing and highly versatile fragrance (on par with Bleu), but will be just obscure enough.
    Macy's and Dior were smart to do this.

Today I realized that this one reminds me of Givenchy Pi Neo (an underrated fragrance, IMO), except with iris replacing part of the vanilla, lighter on the musks, too, and a perfectly dialed back "Dior Homme" vibe, which is more than the Sport, and less than the original, but still recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck21 View Post
    I agree with Red. I think this is Dior's "Bleu" except better. When I first heard of the release I though it might've just been a redundant addition to the fantastic Homme line but instead fit right in perfectly. I wore it a couple of days ago and found it a great quality, soft iris based scent with some woods and musk. It's perfect for casual use, unique compared to other department store releases and surprisingly the longevity is fantastic.

I think this is going to be a hit with the masses, I could tell when I went to the Bay today that the tester bottles were half empty and it was introduced here three weeks ago.

I enjoy the stuff and appreciate what Demachy did with it, contemporary, sleek and a worthy addition to a great line.
    Yes - I thought it was redundant, too, but not now. In fact, it allows me to wear Dior Homme more often. It was a smart move to make Dior Homme more accessible to American (and clearly Canadian) tastes.

LOL. Kinda funny, but a true devotee of Dior Homme could wear nothing but DH. Sport for summer and activities. Eau For Men any old time. Dior Homme for dressier days, and Dior Homme Intense for special occasions and going out. Cologne for cologne moments. (And Leather Oud for meet-ups with BNers! )

Looking for a new work scent this summer, think this will work? (I work in sales)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BarRoomHeroes View Post
    Looking for a new work scent this summer, think this will work? (I work in sales)
    I think so. I'm planning to wear mine a lot, although I'll be mixing it up with Dior Homme Sport and Virgin Island Water, which are my two current faves. If you don't have AC, it might be a bit strong, and you may want to dial it back just a touch. But if you're working indoors and it's not really hot, then no problem.

After using a couple samples, I decided to pull the trigger and get this about a week ago. My thoughts as a newbie here: Love the iris/powder with a fresh-somewhat aquatic twist here; DHE is more accessible/wearable and mainstream than DHI (which I own and revere), works for warm weather, not as groundbreaking as the other scents Dior produces, but this has a place at work or on a casual day. Doesn't have the lasting power of DHI (obviously) but will stay on your clothes most of the day. The ending of DHI is like the grand finale on a fireworks show; for this scent here, the final stages are much, much more mundane and muted. In some strange way DHE reminds me of YSL l'homme, and I am not sure that I can articulate why as they are certainly different. Perhaps they are both simply pleasant, accessible scents in that similar genre. Nonetheless, while it isn't perfection and will certainly have naysayers (as all things do), on a simple level it's a fantastic smell with a few classic and distinct Dior characteristics coupled with a new twist that I find myself looking forward to in the morning.

I rubbed this on me today from a GQ Mag insert.
    Not impressive. It seems like Dior Homme infused with Dior Higher and a dash of A&F Fierce.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 11/13
    WANTED: None

Quote Originally Posted by Touch 'em all View Post
    After using a couple samples, I decided to pull the trigger and get this about a week ago. My thoughts as a newbie here: Love the iris/powder with a fresh-somewhat aquatic twist here; DHE is more accessible/wearable and mainstream than DHI (which I own and revere), works for warm weather, not as groundbreaking as the other scents Dior produces, but this has a place at work or on a casual day. Doesn't have the lasting power of DHI (obviously) but will stay on your clothes most of the day. The ending of DHI is like the grand finale on a fireworks show; for this scent here, the final stages are much, much more mundane and muted. In some strange way DHE reminds me of YSL l'homme, and I am not sure that I can articulate why as they are certainly different. Perhaps they are both simply pleasant, accessible scents in that similar genre. Nonetheless, while it isn't perfection and will certainly have naysayers (as all things do), on a simple level it's a fantastic smell with a few classic and distinct Dior characteristics coupled with a new twist that I find myself looking forward to in the morning.
    To me, DHE is like alike in purpose to Bleu and YSL L 'Homme. These all smell way different, but they all smell very, very appealing to 90% of the populace. And sometimes that is all I want from a scent. What a novel idea...colognes that smell great and modern/fresh!

I love these scents and I don't feel like I'm trying to get too cute when I wear them. No-brainer types that are simply not that innovative or challenging. I'm ok with that. I wore Tom Ford Noir de Noir yesterday. My brain is tired. I'll wear DHE today.

ChuckW hit it on the head folks; this is a smell good, no brainer type scent that if you want to be fresh and clean without putting thought into it, this, bleu, and a couple others are a go to. I still love this and bleu de channel for these reasons!

Blog Entries

DHE falls under JaimeB's statement - "I just want to smell good."

I recently wore a niche scent to work - untested (I assumed it was kind of safe and reputedly mainstream) - BAD MOVE. Very bad move. I needed to make up for it the next day - DHE got the task.

Finally it comes to Russia. Don't like that cheap fruity base. And guys, if you like the base of Eau for Men or want to know how it smells, try Just Cavalli Him. One-in-one, but Cavalli costs cheaper.

A watered down Dior Homme mixed with Abercrombie Fierce. I really don't like this one.

Strange, because I really enjoy DH, DHI, DHS, and DHC.

Basenotes Plus

I love eau for men. I think it fits very wel into the line. To me it is very much like dior homme but replacing the gourmand qualities with some aqua elements. But I really wouldnt call it aquatic. Im not understanding the Fierce comment above. Someone on youtube said the same thing but I just dont smell it. The other person stated they tried it on at a mall and walked around thinking who is wearing fierce. My guess is he sprayed it on and actually walked past an A&F store as they spray the crap out the door and on all the clothes. To me Eau for men is has the very dominant Iris that lasts forever on my skin with some watery elements. But I wouldnt say watered down as the projection, longevity and sillage are excellent. I actually get better performance out of it than DHI. Either way I think this one is meeting resistance because it was the direction most Dior homme fans wanted it to go. Does it defy boundries and test the limitations of our olfactory perception? no. But is it generic and boring? Far from it. I think too many people slander a fragrance for it not being exactly what they were expecting or wishing for. But if you go into it with an open mind I think its a very likable and wearable scent. I have a feeling the dior homme parfum will hit harder with the aficionados.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I rubbed this on me today from a GQ Mag insert.
    Not impressive. It seems like Dior Homme infused with Dior Higher and a dash of A&F Fierce.
    Please tell me your joking. You are saying you took a magazine insert and rubbed it on your skin and that is how your coming to a judgement on the fragrance? Again please tell me your pulling our legs.
    Last edited by Tmoran; 17th August 2014 at 04:22 PM.

It definitely has something in it that is very reminiscent of Fierce, Tmoran. Many people have made this association. I'm a big fan of Dior Homme and DHI, but I hate this stuff, and that has nothing to do with my expectations of what it would be, it simply smells bad to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Please tell me your joking. You are saying you took a magazine insert and rubbed it on your skin and that is how your coming to a judgement on the fragrance? Again please tell me your pulling our legs.
    Honestly, is the snarky attitude really necessary? While I won't disagree that a paper magazine insert isn't the most thorough way of judging a fragrance, some of us don't need a full, multi-day wearing to determine if a fragrance agrees with us. If one is pre-disposed to disliking specific notes, for example, a sniff from paper, a magazine insert, a swab, etc can oftentimes be enough to make us realize a fragrance isn't right for us. While I appreciate the thoroughness you seem to rely on when judging fragrances for yourself (your comments in the Aventus batch numbers thread, for example, highlight this aspect of your approach to scents), I don't feel snarky comments directed at others who don't adopt a similarly thorough approach are appropriate. To each his own, I say.

Still like it. Only Dior I own at the moment. And yet, I rarely reach for it.
    Last edited by ChuckW; 17th August 2014 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    It definitely has something in it that is very reminiscent of Fierce, Tmoran. Many people have made this association. I'm a big fan of Dior Homme and DHI, but I hate this stuff, and that has nothing to do with my expectations of what it would be, it simply smells bad to me.
    I'm in this camp too. I pulled out my sample last night and gave it a wear. When I first sprayed it, I kept thinking "What the heck?! Why did I hate this? It's really nice." But less than an hour later, I was ready to scrub it off. I decided to wait it out, though I can't say I'm glad I did.

For me, Dior Homme Eau goes through three phases.
    - The top is nice and reminds of Dior Homme even though it smells quite different.
    - The heart turns into something I don't enjoy it at all. Dior Homme becomes Fierce-ish. For me, it's a yuck.
    - The very late drydown eventually becomes a woody scent you've smelled many many many times before, though it's not bad. As I type this, 14 hours after application, it's a skin scent, but it's still detectable.

I get excellent longevity from Dio Homme Eau. I like the top, and the base isn't bad, but the heart is a complete turn off for me and it makes up the majority of how the fragrance smells on skin.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 17th August 2014 at 08:15 PM.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

I'm burning through my 1.7 bottle pretty fast. I wear this a lot more than I thought I would. The compliments are off the charts on this one for me. I'm surprised because it's a lighter fragrance, but this on gets noticed

Sent from Richard's Ipad

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    I'm burning through my 1.7 bottle pretty fast. I wear this a lot more than I thought I would. The compliments are off the charts on this one for me. I'm surprised because it's a lighter fragrance, but this one gets noticed
    Same here. I've worn it quite a bit this year as well, much more often than I used to wear the original Dior Homme. And you're right, the compliment factor from women is very high with this one. Which is somewhat surprising, since I don't believe I ever received a single compliment while wearing the original Dior Homme.

Basenotes Junkie

The fierce similarity is definitely there. That was one of the first things I noticed when I tried it upon its release.

I think it's a great scent. It does get compliments and is very easy to wear. For regular day in day out activities it's a no brainer.

Basenotes Plus

I must be crazy as I smell nothing in eau for men that resembles fierce. When I think fierce I always think mont blanc legend which I also do not get at all. I also here people claim that the iris disappeard on them after 5 minutes but for me that mostly what I get for the whole duration. Very odd.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    I must be crazy as I smell nothing in eau for men that resembles fierce. When I think fierce I always think mont blanc legend which I also do not get at all. I also here people claim that the iris disappeard on them after 5 minutes but for me that mostly what I get for the whole duration. Very odd.
    Hmm.. Strange. Were you ever a fan of Fierce? I personally used to wear A LOT when I was younger. At one point that was ALL I wore, lol... I know that scent all too well I guess.

At any rate, Dior Homme DNA persists in Eau throughout and I also think that Iris sticks around for the entire ride. I also agree with Hippo (I think) who said that "Fierceness" is happening somewhere in the heart and the base kinda returns to the good DH roots.

Wearing this today. It's a good solid scent for a Monday. Not a standout in my stable, but a nice option for when I don't want to stand there deliberating for several minutes. Better than Bleu or Legend? Maybe a smidge, but not by a lot. They're all in the same boat with YSL L'Homme and ADG. Above average designers that smell good.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Hmm.. Strange. Were you ever a fan of Fierce? I personally used to wear A LOT when I was younger. At one point that was ALL I wore, lol... I know that scent all too well I guess.

At any rate, Dior Homme DNA persists in Eau throughout and I also think that Iris sticks around for the entire ride. I also agree with Hippo (I think) who said that "Fierceness" is happening somewhere in the heart and the base kinda returns to the good DH roots.

I must admit I have limited experience with fierce. I did wear legend for a long spell before I really got deep into my fragrance addiction. So when people said legend smelled a lot like fierce I went to A&F and sniffed it out and felt that it was so close to legend that I really had no use for it. So in that regard I never got to smell fierce as it developed. Maybe that is why?

I still find this rather appealing.

I like Eau but not enough to pay full price. If it eventually shows up at Fragrancenet I'll purchase it.

Basenotes Plus

During the hot, muggy So. Fla. summer season, this one is easier to wear, compared to my DH or DHI.

Basenotes Member

I see Eau as a good replacement for the original Dior Homme Cologne (2007). I am fortunate to have a bottle of the 2007 Cologne, and while I love it, performance it truly terrible. As we all know, this version was replaced in 2013 with a classic cologne which, while very good in its own right, has nothing in common with the rest of the Dior Homme line.

Not so with Eau, which is a more wearable version of the original, while still being true to it's roots. Eau is great for the summer, with very good projection and longevity on my skin. And you really don't have to think twice about grabbing it to put on. In short, a very nice addition to my collection.
    Last edited by RandolphCanuck; 19th August 2014 at 02:57 PM.

byandthrough

I was one of the ones who thought Eau was really good stuff...and it was for about a month. But after while, I started to really dislike it. It started really nice, but on my skin it had monstrous projection and longevity and was unbearably sweet. All of those may not be a bad thing to some, but it started coming off as a harsh, chemical sweetness that got worse as the temperatures rose (which is why I'm so surprised to see so many people labeling this as a summer scent). I oversprayed it by ONE spray (3 sprays total) once, and that was all it took for me to start looking around the swap threads. I don't really regret it. Some may enjoy it, but it ultimately wasn't for me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post

Well It looks like I need to eat some crow. So yesterday I am in my room cleaning and I see this little atomizer in the corner of my room and I picked it up and it has some juice in it. I could not tell what was in it so I pop the cap and smell. Oh, thats dior homme eau for men. So I put the atomizer down and go "wait, I never put that fragrance in that type of atomizer." So I go back to my decant cubby and pull out all my bags from sephora that have samples in them. And low and behold the only bag that was empty and missing its atomizer was a sample of Mont Blanc Legend from before I actually bought a bottle of legend. I am embarrassed. I did not think eau for ment smelled anything like fierce or legend. But then after people said something about it and that atomizer thing its undeniable. Now I dont think eau for men is as one dimesional as either of those frags and I much prefer eau for men with that dominant iris note. I would say this is a good fragrance for someone who liked fierce or legend and has done a bit of growing up and wants a more mature version of it. I just though it was amazing that I never made the connection until the connection was made for me. Then it was undeniable. Only problem? I sorta lost a little respect for Eau for men. What I once thought was a bit unique I now feel is sort of a fragrance cop out. I still think it smells great and I will continue to wear it. But It will be a much different experience from hear on out now knowing what I know.

Default New Fragrance: Dior Homme Eau for Men - Dior

It was so one dimensional and abrasive on my skin I gave it away after one wearing and is pretty much the reason I've stopped blind buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CMan0928; 22nd August 2014 at 07:03 PM.

Slowly but surely warming up to DHE

Basenotes Member

I just sold my bottle of this. I actually enjoyed it and would recommend it to others looking for a versatile swiss army type frag. It's definitely a crowd pleaser. But I happen to own Blue de Chanel which fills the same role as DHE and frankly does it much better IMO. DHE drydown (the fierce thing) also bothered me after multiple wearings and it just seemed to go on and on and felt "cheaply" inserted.

Bought a bottle last week after going through a few samples. I like it. Nice pleasant and versatile. Can see me wearing this quite a bit when I can't decide what to wear. Feels like it will be a good office choice which is always a bonus.