Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Dior Leather Oud: worht a full bottle?

worht a full bottle (sorry, for the bad printing) just let me know, thanks!
    Last edited by Francolino; 28th December 2013 at 04:23 PM.

Default Re: Dior Leather Oud: worht a full bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    worht a full bottle (sorry, for the bad printing) just let me know, thanks!
    IMO absolutely. One of their best exclusive releases.

(2241)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.

Post Thanks / Like

Taste vary but Leather Oud is one of my favorites. I think it is an amazing scent. I consider it potent and I tread lightly on the trigger. The dry down is really nice. This is one I will buy again when I run out.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

"I've been everywhere but the electric chair seen everything but the wind."..

Post Thanks / Like

Leather Oud is unique, provocative and unquestionably masculine. I do not own a full bottle of it however as I predict my 10ml decant to last me a long while. Also, it is kinda insane that full bottles come in such quantities with smallest being 125 mils.

Post Thanks / Like

Only if you like this type of fragrance. It's definitely on the challenging side, and definitely not blind buy material.

Personally I appreciate it's crazy skanky beauty, but will never go through a full bottle myself.

Yes, definitely.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they only sell it in 4.25oz and 8.5oz, so hell no. Personally, I couldn't see myself getting that much use out of it. I have a few decants and they will probably last me forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KCCO!

It all depends on your taste and if you like the scent. I got a 50ml decant and like it but it is not very versatile especially in the heat. But the oud in this is very good in that it smells like the burning oud wood rather than the oil based oud fragrances you see so much of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO absolutely. One of their best exclusive releases.

(2241)
    Agreed.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a large bottle and it when back to Dior..
    It has a Love Hate smell..
    I would not blind buy it if I were you..
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ― Oscar Wilde

If you like it, then yes. Myself, I would rather go fragrance-free. It is a smell I associate with a zoo, so I would go out of my way to remove it, not add it.

But it is sure loved by many people here on Basenotes. It all depends what you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If you like it, then yes. Myself, I would rather go fragrance-free. It is a smell I associate with a zoo, so I would go out of my way to remove it, not add it.
    Hahah.. The zoo! very good analogy I must say ))

Post Thanks / Like

Very masculine and mysterious but a real turn off for the women I'm close to.
    Don't fly blind.

Post Thanks / Like

Really excellent. A lot of potential detractors seem to focus on the first hour or so. That part is interesting (and a lot of fun to make people you know smell), but it comes into its own as a really enjoyable scent after the initial, uh, fanfare dies back a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only is it unique in the aspect that it is based on oud wood not oud oil, the other notes are amazing as well.

Modern day masterpiece.

for swap/sale:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would get a decant

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say the whole range is very very good, and L.O. is amongst the best. That being said I wouldn't recommend blind buying it. If you've sniffed/worn it and like it, then yes, it's worth the buy IMO. It's got a lot of personality though, so that's why I'd say no to a pure blind buy.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said, this entirely depends on whether you've tried it and like it. If so, absolutely it's worth a full bottle. It's one of the best compositions in years, and very coherent in what it sets out to represent: burning agarwood (as in agarwood or jinko incense) and leather. For me it's warm, spicy, a bit naughty (not as much as many claim), cuddly, and distinctly masculine. Great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely fbw! But you have to like it. Get samples and if you love it, buy it! Modern day masterpiece. Try Oud Ispahan too. I hage bottles of both and both have that oud smoke accord that IMHO is brilliant. Both are real complement getters for me. In fact, I will wear one tomorrow now that I am reminded of them...hmmm...which one...
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

thanx for all your input!

+1 on the need to sample this first. It's not for everyone, but for those who enjoy it, it is FB worthy.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I'm in a split. Can't wait to try it as I love songe and I love skank which I don't find songe is skank at all. Those dior bottles are so damn big though. I wonder what demamchy's thinking was behind that.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not my cup of tea, but i don't hate it. I don't think it smells like "shit" like some, but i don't own it and wouldn't buy a bottle. I would think that if you did enjoy the smell, you could easily get by with a decant for a very long time. I can't see this being something thats worn everyday, and a little goes a VERY long way!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a decant, it's nice and I'd probably buy 50-75 ml of it. I can't see myself finishing a full bottle (with all the others I use) but availability issues may persuade a FB purchase, hard to find though (in my limited experience).

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're fine with challenging oudy-animalic stuff, then yes.
    Last edited by alfarom; 29th December 2013 at 03:41 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I'm in a split. Can't wait to try it as I love songe and I love skank which I don't find songe is skank at all.
    If you like Songe, then I think Leather Oud will beg right up your alley. LO is a dirtier version of Songe, to summarize its characteristics. Songe is very easy to wear, LO is a bit challenging.

Post Thanks / Like

Despite my own intimidation by Leather Oud (thinking its honey, and possibly civet, smelled like old urine), I've had numerous friends and trusted (brave?) coworkers sniff it up-close on me, to be sure, and none thought it smelled bad or dirty. In fact, most people report that it smells nice. Nowadays even I don't get the urine association I once did, though I do appreciate that side of the fragrance as being a bit "dirty" -- but more in a "come over here and snuggle up, big boy" kind of way. It's a sultriness, something warm and inviting rather than off-putting. Certainly not "clean," but not aggressive and offensive at all. Every time I wear Leather Oud, I'm impressed by how well it pulls off being bold and civilized all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    I'm in a split. Can't wait to try it as I love songe and I love skank which I don't find songe is skank at all.
    There are some serious parallels between them, but I'd give Leather Oud the edge. By far the best one from that line -- amazing stuff.

have you smelled this before? If yes and you know what you are getting into, then go for it.

If no? Then you definitely will want to try before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like

YYYYYeeeeesssss.

One of the best male releases in the last 10 years IMO. Worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onethinline View Post
    Despite my own intimidation by Leather Oud (thinking its honey, and possibly civet, smelled like old urine), I've had numerous friends and trusted (brave?) coworkers sniff it up-close on me, to be sure, and none thought it smelled bad or dirty. In fact, most people report that it smells nice. Nowadays even I don't get the urine association I once did, though I do appreciate that side of the fragrance as being a bit "dirty" -- but more in a "come over here and snuggle up, big boy" kind of way. It's a sultriness, something warm and inviting rather than off-putting. Certainly not "clean," but not aggressive and offensive at all. Every time I wear Leather Oud, I'm impressed by how well it pulls off being bold and civilized all at once.
    That sums it up very nicely! Perhaps there is a strange conundrum here. Many fragheads seem to think this one is too dirty, too urinous to wear in public, yet every time I wear Leather Oud I get multiple complements. Perhaps fragheads are more sensitive to those "dirty" notes that actually appeal to the human animal in us. Are we all a bit afraid of animal attraction? Need to think about this one. I am not one that shys away from challenging scents. Those are the ones that both make me stand out from the fresh crowd and garner the most complements.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    Very masculine and mysterious but a real turn off for the women I'm close to.
    Completely the opposite for me :-)

Didn't like LO at all. I wouldn't even get a sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Didn't like LO at all. I wouldn't even get a sample.
    It is definitely a polarizing fragrance, that's for sure. I have to admit when I first sniffed it at Dior boutique in Vegas, I thought it was a joke - repulsive stinkbomb in a bottle. I moved on to other bottles and quickly picked up Vetiver. Then, later on, Ambre Nuit. That's when they included samples of Leather Oud in the box, and I gave it another try, at home this time. It still has a very pungent aroma, but much like so many other powerhouse fragrances - the mistake we tend to make is to sniff your arm where you sprayed it from within half an inch from your nose - while this thing is way too strong for that. Let it be, let the aroma blossom and come to your nostrils on your own, from 10+ inches. There's something magical that happens - the scent is not quite as strong and pungent as you may have first thought - it's actually amazing. Even more amazing, to me, was Oud Ispahan - I left a sample in a desk drawer and opened the drawer couple days later, I was greeted with the most amazing scent... The sample was sealed, but I guess a little bit of it still filled the drawer and scented its contents. AHHHH-MAZING!!

Give it another try, but try not to burry your nose in your arm, or wherever you spray it. And, wait couple hours, before making any decisions - it develops very nicely... but you do have to put up with the first hour or two when it's just crazy strong. Oh, and with this one, less is more. 1 spray, perhaps 2, is all you need for all-day longevity. Anything more and flies (and people) will be dropping dead around you.