Code of Conduct

Default Starting Collecting Antique/Vintage perfume bottles

I have just started to collect perfume bottles and I am so excited. I wanted to know where people go to decide what to buy. Would you also think that ebay is a good place or would it be better to visit fairs? I would really appreciate any advice please, thanks.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Starting Collecting Antique/Vintage perfume bottles

Check out the Bottle Collecting Forums..
    You might find what you need their

Quote Originally Posted by karine View Post
    I have just started to collect perfume bottles and I am so excited. I wanted to know where people go to decide what to buy. Would you also think that ebay is a good place or would it be better to visit fairs? I would really appreciate any advice please, thanks.
    There is a Perfume Bottle Collecting Forum where you might find very helpful and informative answers to your question. perhaps you might even want to re-post your question there.

http://www.basenotes.net/forums/81-P...tle-Collecting

(2261)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome, karine!

We'll transfer your thread to the 'bottle collecting' forum.

'Junk/antique' shops, Antiques Fairs, street market stalls, Charity shops & the dreaded 'car boot sales' (in the U.K.) often have these things too.
    Last edited by lpp; 28th December 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Thank you for your reply and advice. I will start searching now, I have also been given a book on what to look out for.

Basenotes Plus

Good luck, karine - please come back with some pictures

Blog Entries

This is a link to the thread for my collection;
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/232...rait-of-a-Lady

Like any area of interest, you gather up what you are drawn to. I started out with Art Deco bottles mostly on Ebay, some found at local flea markets and antique shops. There's also a website called Rubylane, that I like. The handy thing about Ebay is you can do a search for whatever, say, 'sterling vintage perfume bottles' then save the search. So whenever that kind of thing comes up for sale you'll get an email. Then you can decide if it's something you want to bid on. I like to have a variety of things, some like to specialize. Take a look at my collection and see if it gives you any ideas. There are lots of books that give you a vague idea what things should cost. It's kind of a crap shoot though. Generally, I don't bid on anything that's damaged. Good luck and have fun!

I'd suggest bringing the same question to the MakeupAlley fragrance board. There's great advice here too, but there are women on MUA who keep track of fraudulent vintage perfume sellers, and their info can be very valuable.

Blog Entries

I forgot to say, there are bogus reproductions sold, mostly of Czech deco bottles. Be very careful of those claiming to be vintage deco. Anything made in the Czech Republic is made after WW2 and is NOT original Art Deco. Also, if they claim it is by a famous artist, look up to see other examples by the same artist and compare. Usually you'll find there is no crispness in the detail of a reproduction. For instance, where there are fully sculptured nudes.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I forgot to say, there are bogus reproductions sold, mostly of Czech deco bottles. Be very careful of those claiming to be vintage deco. Anything made in the Czech Republic is made after WW2 and is NOT original Art Deco. Also, if they claim it is by a famous artist, look up to see other examples by the same artist and compare. Usually you'll find there is no crispness in the detail of a reproduction. For instance, where there are fully sculptured nudes.

Thank you for all your tips and warning me of fakes, I will be on the look out. No doubt we will be in touch again.

I just picked up this beauty:

DeVilbiss_Deco_Atomizer1a.jpg

I never knew bottles like this existed. DeVilbiss was a major bottle producer in the early/mid 20th century, both for medical supplies and for perfumes/decanters. Some of their bottles fetch major sums, while others are so plentiful that anybody can pick one up for affordable prices.

Basenotes Plus

Congrats - it looks very good!

Blog Entries

Yes, that's a handsome Devilbiss. I've never seen one remotely like it.

^ Do you have any books on DeVilbiss flacons? I wonder if this or others like it are captured in photographs for one or more of the books about vintage perfume bottles.

Blog Entries

I have every book on perfume bottles I could find. I don't ever recall seeing one of these. Maybe you could try Googling it. I think there is a club for collectors you can join.

Looks very good and different. I am still looking for a wall mounted cabinet, preferably not modern, to display the bottles. Any ideas where I can look please?

Blog Entries

I was lucky and found a local cabinetmaker. You can see mine in my thread. Use the photos as a pattern if you can't find anything you like.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have every book on perfume bottles I could find. I don't ever recall seeing one of these. Maybe you could try Googling it. I think there is a club for collectors you can join.
    It arrived and it's splendid! The cap is made of metal that is a little bit on the thin side, but otherwise it works well with the design. At first I feared the sprayer didn't work, but it just needed a good deal of priming. The spray is rather wet! Probably best to use with an after shave. I'm curious to know more about it or if it was part of a series. What perfume bottle collector forum would you suggest looking into? Thanks!

Blog Entries

http://www.perfumebottles.org/join.html Here's the link to join the International Perfume Bottle Association. I still haven't gotten around to it, but I really should.

http://www.perfumebottles.org
    Last edited by kumquat; 28th January 2014 at 04:09 PM.