Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit. Want more rose!

I have vintage Rose de Nuit and there just isn't enough rose in it for me. Does anyone know if the new formula has more rose? Any deep rose suggestions? I have Roses Greedy, Fille de Berlin, Silk Mood (wow), PoAL, V de Roses, and a few others. Noir de noir for sure. I was on an iris trip, but now it's all about roses. There's something in the smell that brings me back to childhood roses growing in knots on the fences that divide houses. I just love it but need more. Lutens is my favorite brand and I own all of them already. Silk Mood opens with a rich, sily rose but the oud pushes it out of the picture too soon.

Any help helps me!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Serge Lutens Rose de Nuit. Want more rose!

Rose Noir by Byredo..
    Bond has quite a few but my mind is drawing blanks

What's the Byredo like?

Quote Originally Posted by joev View Post
    Any deep rose suggestions?
    Montale Highness Rose. Can't get any deeper in a rose IMO.

(2266)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks, hednic. I knew a Montale would appear here!

Thanks, hednic. I knew a Montale would appear here!
    You're welcome. It's one of the deepest and purest roses I have smelled. It is Parfum strength. It can be found at the Perfume Shoppe: http://www.theperfumeshoppe.com/High...ntale10-01.htm

(2270)
    Last edited by hednic; 28th December 2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Some suggestions:

Both Amouage Lyric (men´s and women´s)
    Malle Une Rose
    By Kilian Rose Oud
    Miller Harris Rose en Noir
    Czech & Speake No88 & Dark Rose
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

I have No 88 and Rose Oud. I tried the Lyrics and I think they have too many spices. I will sample Dark Rose. Sounds up my alley.

+1 Rose Oud
    +1 Lyric Man
    +1 Rose Noir

Also, Armani Prive Rose d'Arabie.

I don't think C&S 88 is dark at all (except the bottle). Smells like rose scented soap to me.

You may also want to try Histoiries de Parfums Rosam. I am not endorsing it however - personally find it revolting. But something you might want to look into.

Forgot to mention one of my absolute favourites: Tauer Incense Rosé! And maybe his Une Rose Chypree too. Perhaps Parure by Guerlain.
    "Wonderfully wild, eminently civilized" - Derby by Guerlain

My swap thread

Why doesn't Lutens Rose de Nuit smell like roses? Is it my bottle?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Rose Noir uses Rose Damscena which is also use to create Rose Water..
    Has a slightly musky base to give it a unisex appeal

Why doesn't Lutens Rose de Nuit smell like roses? Is it my bottle?
    I don't find Rose de Nuit rosy enough either. It's very apricot soapy on me.

For a deep rose, in addition to the ones mentioned, I like the somewhat underrated Black Rose Oud by Trish McEvoy. It has been compared to Kilian's Rose Oud, but I think it's a little less lush/jammy and more oriental.

Bond New York Oud.

Try SL Sa Majeste La Rose. Almost a pure rose soliflore.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Try Aoud Rose Petals too

Thanks for all the suggestions. Rose de Nuit isn't rosey enough chypre. I agree about the apricot.

Frederick Malle's Une Rose is supposed to be for women, but to me it's a unisex scent. It has prominent woody/musk notes and the rose is a knock-out. Great projection, longevity and sillage, too.

I agree about Une Rose. Almost bought it in the summer but opted to save some money for now. I think it veers slightly to the feminine side but it is quite wearable by a guy. So much better than PoAL to my nose. Une Rose may be my holy grail of rose scents.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by pelle View Post
    Forgot to mention one of my absolute favourites: Tauer Incense Rosé! And maybe his Une Rose Chypree too. Perhaps Parure by Guerlain.

This!! And the one and only 'une rose' by malle, as much rose as you can get

L’Arte di Gucci. A rich dark rose. Lush fruity top notes with a floral heart where rose is the star. Has a lovely mossy, leather, patch dry down. It may lean slightly to the feminine with the fruity top notes but they do fade. If you what lush dark rose this is a worthwhile sniffing out.

Discontinued, like all worthwhile Gucci fragrances, might pop up on eBay though.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Montale Highness Rose. Can't get any deeper in a rose IMO.

(2266)
    I would second this, this is as good as rose can get, and very wearable for men

Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to get Montale Highness Rose. Any thoughts? Oh, I also bought Lyric from frangrancenet.

Blog Entries

Montale has great roses but they're all different. Black Aoud is dark with Aoud (obviously) super strong and lasts into the next day. Attar is just beautiful also, self-explanatory. Aoud Queen Roses-That's the one with the additional floral note, hibiscus. Also lovely.

You might like to try a new favorite- Profumum- Rosea Mundi -LuckyScent has it. Lucious chypre rose blended with cedar, patchouli and Vetyver.
    Last edited by kumquat; 30th December 2013 at 11:34 PM.

My best roses are:

Hammam Bouquet: stuffy, fusty, Victorian rose with musk, civet, and sandalwood
    Washington Tremlett Black Tie: well-groomed rosewater with woods and saffron
    CB I Hate Perfume Tea/Rose: very light--nothing but Moroccan rose absolute and black tea

Try getting your hands on some high quality Bulgarian rose absolute or even better, otto.

After years of reading and getting ideas from this forum, I decided to join the forum and post ... lol.

Anyway, I recently delved into the "rose" arena with Cartier's Declaration Un Soir. Loved this so much for the rose note that I decided to expand further when I saw comments about an, at the time, new Serge Lutens scent called Santal Majuscule. Both of these have become among my favorite scents ever.

Santal Majuscule has notes of cocoa, sandalwood, and rose if I recall. It's a murky, thick, deep, "incensy" type of fragrance that isn't cloying. If you like a Middle Eastern accent on your colognes, this would be one to look at. I've heard many don't like it because it does offer a bit of a "burnt wood" vibe, and I kind of get that, but to me, it doesn't take away from the cologne, but adds to its complexity without it being vulgar. It instantly became one of my favorite scents because I've always loved sandalwood and never knew I loved rose. This one is more sandalwood than rose, but I had to give it a mention.

Declaration Un Soir is a cleaner/fresher scent than Santal Majuscule. It's a rose with a peppery note to it. This was the original one that caused me to fall in love with the rose scent. It's also got a decent pricetag on it as well.

If you want to get away from every other sugary pop-culture scent I keep smelling nowadays, either one of these could do the trick. I'll be following this thread to get more "rose ideas".
    Last edited by Excelon; 31st December 2013 at 04:34 AM.

In the designer department: perhaps also Esencia Loewe and Ungaro II may be worth testing.

Another vote for Une Rose, and you may also want to try La Fille de Berlin by Lutens, too. Rossy de Palma by ELDO is fantastic, too.

Kagey, what is Rossy de Palma like?

Very deep red rose, nothing sweet, with patchouli and pepper, and a sort of metallic twang that suggests blood. The rose is the thing, though.