Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for 30 year old girlfriend, help please!

My girlfriend wants to expand her collection and I'm out of ideas! She wears Burberry Brit, Ange ou Demon le Secret, Cool Water for her, Vive la Juicy, and Tommy girl. She really enjoys Alien. I have gotten her samples of the Dior Poisons, all of which she likes so far especially Hypnotic Poison. Shortly I will get her some Guerlain samples and more Dior as well. Sadly this is about the end of my ability to help. We live in Florida and I would like to get her something warm for the terrible winters here (it's 72 degrees outside as I write this), and she needs more options for the long summers. I would love to get her some age appropriate scents that are as beautiful and sexy as she is. It's a very open question, and I apologize for the vagueness. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Default Re: Suggestions for 30 year old girlfriend, help please!

Hi Dyslexic Rooster & welcome!

Maybe go on a sampling expedition, or check out websites such as Luckyscent (which sell samples) together?

There is such a massive diversity of stuff available & exploring them & reading reviews should turn up things that you can both investigate.

Thank you so much Ipp! We've been on a few sampling runs. It's how we picked out our Christmas gifts for eachotherThe Ange ou demon for her, and Xeryus Rouge for me. We've kinda exhausted the local malls, there are a few perfume shops in the area we can visit. Thanks for the info on Luckyscent.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

You're welcome, Dyslexic Rooster - hopefully some U.S. members will have some info. on other places selling samples.
    There are some sample pass threads here as well from time to time.

Blog Entries

I'm a little confused by your statement "something warm for the hot weather". Do you mean something that goes well in the hot weather? Or a warm, amber/woody scent? Some people like to go against the grain. I prefer to wear lighter scents in warm weather, you may like the oriental scents year-round.

I'm sorry for that, I was trying to make a joke about the warm weather here in Florida. I'm looking for both actually, with a bit more focus on warmer scents for the winter right now because she has none. She does prefer light florals for day to day wear, and is beginning to like orientals. Thank you for replying kumquat.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

I'd recommend she try a couple of Montale scents:

For vanilla:

Vanilla Extasy

For jasmine:

Jasmine Full
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Blog Entries

One of my favorite florals now is Diptyque- Jardin Clos, all the Diptyques are interesting, but start there. It's fresh and young, really pretty.

Also, try the Exclusif Chanels- Beige (unique, hawthorn, fresh &young), Bois des Iles-(sandalwood amped up to smell like gingerbread), 31 Rue Cambon (tingly, fresh "pink" but not powdery) You may like CoCo, since you like Orientals. I find its blend of floral and chocolate a little too conflicted, but that's just me. One for the hot weather that I think is charming is O De Lancôme. ​You'll have to ask for it though, it's never advertised. It'll be under the counter. A classic light "green" and white musk. When I tried this at the dept store I admired myself all the way home.

Thank you all so much, I'm about to see her, and having some "research material" together will be fun! Keep 'em coming!
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Another rec is Hypnose by Lancome.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Sweet! Thank you everybody!
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Hope you both enjoy the searching

We are! Thank you Ipp. Any suggestions or favorites of yours?
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

You are such a sweetheart!

If she loves vanilla, try Van Cleef and Arpels Orchidee Vanille. This is sold on Lucky Scent for $185 and you can buy this legitimately NOW on Amazon marketplace for $115.00. That's a savings of 70 dollars off the retail price for a private, exclusive scent from a designer, actually a jewellery house. The presentation box makes and impressive gift, and the bottle is sleek, simple and elegant, too.

This has similarities to Hypnotic Poison in the almond and vanilla: mandarin orange, litchi, bitter almond, dark chocolate, rose, violet, vanilla pod, cedar, tonka, and white musk.

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Cleef-Arpe...chidee+vanille

You can also buy VC&A Gardenia Petale, which is a gardenia floral with vanilla. This vendor has the item $115 off the retail price.

http://www.amazon.com/GARDENIA-PETAL...d_sim_sbs_bt_1
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th December 2013 at 03:41 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Hi & welcome to basenotes!

lf she enjoys Alien, l wonder if she has tried any of the flanker versions?

Alien Essence Absolue is an oriental take on the original, with almondy heliotrope & a touch of incense.

Alien Liqueur de Parfum is a richer, more "aged in oak barrels" version.

Alien The Taste of Fragrance is a sweet, caramelised, gourmand version; if she likes Hypnotic Poison, she'll probably love this one.

And Alien Aqua Chic is a lighter, more sparkling & summery version.

l also think she might enjoy Dior Addict.

Happy hunting, & do report back on your finds!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Some great suggestions. Bottega Veneta and Chanel No.22 might be worth getting a sample of. For the Guerlains maybe start with the Shalimar Parfum Initial, it's just that bit more approachable than Shalimar. Just one last though, she might like Chanel N°5 Eau Première.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

Wow, thank you all! I can't wait to get these for her! Primrose, she loves vanilla, and hmmmmmm, a pretty presentation box? Maybe I could fit a ring in there. "Honey, I got you a new bottle of marry me!" Teardrop, I belive she has a sample of Essence Absolute, I'll get her to try that soon. Thank you for the flanker info too. Xscent, thank you for a Shalimar she might like. I want her to try some because I've always thought they were very classy. I thought the original might be a bit much her though.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Blog Entries

Be sure to try Guerlain- Samsara, ​if you haven't already. A classic woody oriental. Very appealing.

That is going on the list. Thanks again kumquat!
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Alright, I have been able to get samples of:Guerlain Shalimar, Shalimar Parfum Initial, Samsara. Chanel Exclusif Beige and 31 Rue Cambon. Van Cleef and Arpels Orchidee Vanille. Thierry Mugler Alien the taste of fragrance, and Montale Jasmine Full. Not a bad start. I will find all the others as well, and any others anyone can think of. Thank you all so very much for your help, and I will let you know how the sniffing goes!
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

+1 on Dior Addict.

You seem very sweet, a perfume and a proposal doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!.

Awwww Thanks kalli. I'm trying to find lots of ways to show her how special she is to me and how much I love her and a goofy and sweet way to pop the question sounds perfect to me.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Chanel Coco parfum that my wife loves (samples at your neighborhood Sephora).

The straight Coco, not Mademoiselle.

Sounds like a valiant effort on your part. Enjoy

Let us know how that proposal goes, if and when.

LOL, there is an actual perfume called, "Marry Me"..link..

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/L...y-Me-9405.html

But one of the reviews for it said:

"I hated this fragrance. It smells bitter....and It gave me a a headache. If a guy proposed me with this perfume, I would say: no!"

Perhaps a different scent, lol.

A proposal with perfume! I’m sure we can think of one with a pretty present box to hide a ring. That is so exceedingly sweet of you and to go through efforts to find something she loves too. Kudos.

Are there any other notes besides vanilla and jasmine that she enjoys? The Shalimar Ode a la Vanille series have stunning presentation boxes a heavenly dose of vanilla. They are limited editions so might be a sweet way to make it that little more *special*. The two that come to mind are Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la route de Madagascar and Shalimar Ode a la Vanille Sur la Route du Mexique these maybe worth tracking down and adding it to the sample pile.
    We live only to discover beauty. All else is a form of waiting. ~Kahlil Gibran

This is turning out to be much more fun than I though it would be, and I thought it would be fun! Thank you vbrown, I am really enjoying all of it, and another Sephora is he next stop. kalli, I might just buy that so the box can do the talking for me and get the weight right with play doh, cause who doesn't love play doh? It's when, not if, too. Just a matter of time and timing. Xscent, my nose isn't good enough to pick out anything other than vanilla (which she loves in all forms, fragrance and food) so those are going on the list as well. I know she likes citrus and fruit, the peppery accord in Alien and some of my fragrances. She likes lavender, spices and pine for seasonal home fragrances. She loves Kouros, I wore it on our first date and got a "God you smell so good" in the first few minutes, so honey and amber? I know she likes Yatagan, so a nice leather? We're just starting on her scent wardrobe so I'm more than willing to have her try anything. Thank you all so much for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Dyslexic Rooster; 31st December 2013 at 02:43 PM.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

I guess this means I need to find something to get married in? To the directory! And as always suggestion would be wonderful.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Happy new year everyone! I have been vetoed. She decided that instead of more samples, she wants a bottle of Hypnotic Poison for her birthday present. But because I'm an ornery little snot she's still getting an abbreviated list.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Blog Entries

You can never have too many samples!

No you can't kumquat! She admitted yesterday that this has become an obsession for her and I love it. The more she sniffs, the more I will know what to get. It will be nice to be able have a bottle of something special squirreled away somewhere to surprise her with when she has a bad day.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Blog Entries

You may like to order samples from someplace like LuckyScent. (I have no affiliation) the cool thing about that site is you can pick a scent type like; oriental, and all those frags come up. The code for free shipping is MUA. This is an addictive hobby! If you start to accumulate lots of stuff you may like to organize them I have mine in plastic sandwich bags with recipe cards for stability. Alphabetized by house. I found these storage boxes at Hobby Lobby for about $30.

You sound like a great companion. She is lucky to have you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st January 2014 at 06:50 PM.

Thank you so much! Free shipping, more samples, and she gets to buy office supplies and organize stuff! This is going to be her new hobby. You're too kind, I may be a fairly good boyfriend, but she is incredible, I'm just trying to keep up.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexic Rooster View Post
    It will be nice to be able have a bottle of something special squirreled away somewhere to surprise her with when she has a bad day.
    You are just adorable. A lot of guys could learn from you!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thank you teardrop. You're all gonna make me blush.Thank you all for taking time to help me make her happy. If anyone has any more suggestions, please let me know.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    You are just adorable. A lot of guys could learn from you!
    This, +1.

Awwwww. Thank you. She says the same thing. Maybe I should teach classes or write a book "How not to be a Lazy Boyfriend by Dyslexic Rooster" Does anyone think Serge Lutens fragrances would be a good idea? I know I'm interested in Gris Clair and Chergui. Any others?
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Blog Entries

Default Suggestions for 30 year old girlfriend, help please!

Serge Lutens- A La Nuit, Sa Majesty de la Rose and Fleurs de Orangers and The Different Co. - Jasmine de Nuit are some great florals. Also- Divine co. Have nice florals. Anne Pliska is an interesting vanilla. Another great vanilla is Parfumerie Generale- Aomassai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd January 2014 at 03:05 AM.

kumquat you are a saint. Thank you so much.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Here are some other vanillas to try:

Un Bois Vanille Serge Lutens
    Note Vanillee M. Micallef
    Chocolate Greedy Montale
    Vanilla Extasy Montale
    Cacao Aftelier
    Vanilla Marble Agonist
    What We Do In Paris Is Secret A Lab on Fire
    Vanille Insensee Atelier
    Cinema Yves Saint Laurent
    Vanille Abricot Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Vanille Extreme Eau de Toilette Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Amour De Cacao Comptoir Sud Pacifique
    Miranda Fragonard
    Ambre 114 Histoires de Parfums
    Osmo Scents Vanille Bourbon Il Profvmo
    Loukhoum Keiko Mecheri
    Vanille Noire du Mexique La Maison de la Vanille
    Vanille Givree de Antilles La Maison de la Vanille
    Vanille Fleurie de Tahiti La Maison de la Vanille
    Vanille Divine des Tropiques La Maison de la Vanille
    Hypnotic Poison Eau Sensuelle

Other jasmines to try:

Love and Tears Kilian
    Untitled 1 Magnetic Scent
    +1 A La Nuit
    +1 Jasmine de Nuit
    Another white floral perfume, if she hasn't tried it yet, is Pure Poison.
    Last edited by kalli; 2nd January 2014 at 03:57 AM.

Blog Entries

You're welcome. Have fun trying things. I hope you'll check in and tell us what she decides on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalli, thank you. My bank account will hate you but my girlfriend will love you. Good thing our anniversary is coming up just after Valentines day. I kinda wish we'd planned this out better, winter is going be expensive for me. kumquat, we're going to have plenty of fun with this. At worst, I'll get do a lot of "lean in, sniff, kiss" I will be sure to check in and let you all know how it goes.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Actually kalli, I got her Pure Poison as part of a Poison sample pack. She likes it a lot.
    Last edited by Dyslexic Rooster; 2nd January 2014 at 03:28 PM.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Ok, the short list of samples I've gotten for her is, Guerlain Samsara, Chanel 31 Rue Cambon, Van Cleef and Arpels Orchidee Vanille, and Montale Jasmine Full. Should arrive quickly. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I also got a got a thumbs up for Pure Poison which makes me very happy.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

I had her try my new Lalique White yesterday. It veered surprisingly feminine on her. I know it's not the most manly of fragrances, but she got a lot more of the white musk and tamarind on her skin, while I smelled like the best parts of Sprite and pencil shavings. it was a fun learning experience. Happily I got the big bottle.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Quote Originally Posted by Dyslexic Rooster View Post
    I had her try my new Lalique White yesterday. It veered surprisingly feminine on her. I know it's not the most manly of fragrances, but she got a lot more of the white musk and tamarind on her skin, while I smelled like the best parts of Sprite and pencil shavings. it was a fun learning experience. Happily I got the big bottle.
    Glad to hear your choices. Lalique White is a fresh unisex, IMO. I don't like the stopper, however.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hello again Primrose! White really is isn't it? And it appears to be a bit of a "gender bender" for us. It's soft and quiet and so far fun to sit around in. Should be interesting to go out wearing the same thing and smell very different. I can't wait for her new samples to arrive though, I have the next two rounds picked out, I've sent an email to Serge Lutens begging for samples, and I have Valentines day(Alien) and our anniversary(Pure Poison) covered. I'm excited about what's next.
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

CoStume National Scent Intense.

Sweet! Thank you klimax!
    Dock-a-loodle-fod

Ok, the samples arrived today! Just got a few brief sniffs in, but universally positive. She fell in love with Samsara immediately, and so did I. Warm, woody, just the right amount of vanilla/tonka with a very nice floral balance. 31 Rue Cambon was another big hit. Beautiful, fresh and very, very classy. Thank you so much kumquat! Jasmin Full is a perfect white floral for her and she needs a bottle, if only for me. She was testing it on her wrist and kept fixing my hair with that hand, drove me nuts. Gentle wafts of jasmine and orange blossom. Thank you so much kalli! Orchidee Vanille is comfort in a bottle. I will probably end up dousing her in it just to sit around the house and watch movies. Thank you so much Primrose! This is a good start and we can't wait to try more!
    Dock-a-loodle-fod