Code of Conduct

Default Perfume Analogy in "American Hustle"

Has anyone seen American Hustle yet? What did you think of the rather extensive perfume analogy? (Jennifer Lawrence's character says something like "all the best perfumes in history have something that smells like garbage in them; that's what keeps drawing you back." She's making an analogy to human relationships). Anyone know how this little shoutout to animalics made it into the script?

Default Re: Perfume Analogy in "American Hustle"

I do not know how the comment got into the movie but I wonder how many non-perfumistas will get it?

Basenotes Junkie

Just bought my ticket . That was enough to convince me to see it.
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

I hadn't seen the movie, but this shows good taste in perfumes. After smelling the thousandth household cleaner masculine (or feminine), one can only agree.

cacio

queen of the universe

I think perfume bloggers are wondering if the writers cribbed from them. Yep, that's the line that's sending me to this flick.
    Last edited by jujy54; 1st January 2014 at 12:57 PM.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

The more I think about it, the perfume discussion really does encapsulate one of the film's main themes. I am quite curious what the inspiration was for the writers . . . which perfumes were they thinking of? . . .

Probably they weren't thinking about anything specific.

A classic perfume that's often described as garbagey is Diorella (sadly only in its vintage form). And then the many perfumes that have notable animalic components (like civet), from Schiaparelli Shocking (honeyed animalics) to Joy (civet).

cacio

Somewhat true, but I believe it could have been experessed more apporpriately

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's a commonly held idea - and I think rather true, too. Fragrances need something interesting - risky - attention-getting, and a touch of something unsettling almost always provides that.

I can't address this as any kind of an expert, but throughout my life many women friends and many women who were "just friends" have confided that they were drawn to various bad-boy attributes in guys that I knew.

I frequently describe my wife as "spicy". Some of my friends would probably give her a Scoville number, too! But I *LOVE* hot peppers! As for myself - well - I have some musk in me, for sure.

PS - I've heard good things about this movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Some of my friends would probably give her a Scoville number, too!
    Love that characterization!

(2431)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

queen of the universe

And here it is:
    http://yesterdaysperfume.typepad.com...dior-1972.html
    This paradoxical combination of lightness and darkness, freshness and bodily funkiness, makes me think of the song Suzanne, by Leonard Cohen: "She shows you where to look/amid the garbage and the flowers." Because, at its heart, it smells like garbage on the verge of going bad that someone has thrown a pile of flowers onto, Diorella shows you how to find beauty in the intersection of garbage and flowers. I know this doesn't sound like an endorsement, but it is!
    Gotta smell thsi stuff (I wonder if there'll be a run on vint Diorella at TPC and STC...)

I saw the movie last week and this part really stood out to me. It shows knowledge of fragrances, so I wonder which writer is lurking around here!

Also for those of you considering seeing the film, I highly recommend it. If you can get past the first 45 minutes or so which are pretty much backstory and quite slow, it's a very, very good film. Excellent acting of course, but the story itself is worthwhile.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Love that characterization!

(2431)
    When I was a kid, I used to love TV images of big, loud or expressive families - I think I subconsciously wanted something like that!

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    And here it is:
    http://yesterdaysperfume.typepad.com...dior-1972.html

Gotta smell thsi stuff (I wonder if there'll be a run on vint Diorella at TPC and STC...)
    Wow - that's a great description!

One of the best fragrances I ever smelled was a bunch of peonies in the grocery store, after they had reached the perfect level of ripeness. Within a couple of days of getting them home, they were a bit too funky, but at that moment in the store, they were amazing. They were much louder than roses, but still in harmony. I'm sure that is the thing which perfumers long to capture.

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I saw the movie last week and this part really stood out to me. It shows knowledge of fragrances, so I wonder which writer is lurking around here!

Also for those of you considering seeing the film, I highly recommend it. If you can get past the first 45 minutes or so which are pretty much backstory and quite slow, it's a very, very good film. Excellent acting of course, but the story itself is worthwhile.
    Mario is in show biz - wonder if he knows any of the writers!

Thanks for the warning on the backstory. As long as I know it's worth the investment, I'm always happy to let the characters do their set-up thing!

queen of the universe

Bought a vintage mini of Diorella on ebay today. I had to. Coming from overseas (hopefully without incident). I promise to "smell and tell."

We saw American Hustle. It starts out a little bumpy, I thought, but quickly becomes riveting. I noticed that scent line and was glad I could appreciate it. Months ago, I wouldn't have. I thought she was talking about her nail polish though, which surprised me. Meant to come here and ask. Is there scented nail polish?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yeah, it's a commonly held idea - and I think rather true, too. Fragrances need something interesting - risky - attention-getting, and a touch of something unsettling almost always provides that.

I can't address this as any kind of an expert, but throughout my life many women friends and many women who were "just friends" have confided that they were drawn to various bad-boy attributes in guys that I knew.

I frequently describe my wife as "spicy". Some of my friends would probably give her a Scoville number, too! But I *LOVE* hot peppers! As for myself - well - I have some musk in me, for sure.

PS - I've heard good things about this movie!
    You are a sweetheart, Red, to say this of your wife.

As for stink, everyone knows that some of the best cheeses REEK!

BTW, a recent CarMax commercial which shows a couple pondering the purchase of an SUV, then follows the moving sign through a department store, dashing past a young man who is promoting a fragrance, his hand holding a bottle poised to spray the rushing couple. You only see the young fragrance SA for an instant.

Did anyone see that commercial?
    Last edited by Primrose; 5th January 2014 at 07:45 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

This is exactly what I take from the analogy - people want a little excitement, that something different in their lives. It was very cleverly used.

On a side note any film with Christian Bale in it is always a plus for me

People stink and used to stink even more, sex must have been one big stink fest before people regularly washed. Now most people thankfully wash and put tons of products on to smell like freshly scrubbed robots covered in clean, lovely smells. I guess a hint of primate/animal smell appeals to some as a reminder of real stink (but not too real/human).

ha ha I had to rewatch it now for this refrence

Quote Originally Posted by ScentFan View Post
    We saw American Hustle. It starts out a little bumpy, I thought, but quickly becomes riveting. I noticed that scent line and was glad I could appreciate it. Months ago, I wouldn't have. I thought she was talking about her nail polish though, which surprised me. Meant to come here and ask. Is there scented nail polish?
    Yes, there's scented polish. OPI has been making it for at least 6 years. There's scented cuticle oil too. I think oil works better than polish to carry scent, but it's all pretty weak.