Code of Conduct

Default Too young for anti-ageing/night creams?

So i'm almost at the end of my 20's, and thinking of stepping up to using either a night or anti-ageing cream to start preserving my skin as the late nights take their toll. Am i too young to start thinking about this? Most men in their 30's/40's should be using it not in their late 20's?

And what are good ones to look at? Saw Nivea's Q10 night cream earlier today, less than 5 on promotion.

Default Re: Too young for anti-ageing/night creams?

There's certainly no harm in using creams and the like at any age. I don't think there's any evidence that over the counter creams have long lasting effects on the skin, but many help the skin look better for a few hours, by hydrating and the like. Also, different creams can have different effects, so there's now a number of creams targeting specific problems (brightening, smoothing, under eye bags, dark circles, etc). Nivea is a good brand.

Of course, one thing that does matter is sun, UV rays damage the skin, so using sun protection does have long run effects on the skin.

cacoi

In my opinion, it is almost never too early to start. Personally started to use anti-aging products in my mid to late twenties and never regretted my choice.

never too early to start.

I'd say it's matter of what you're realistically going to stick with and return on time/money investment.

so as someone who worked in skincare for a few years... depending on what level you're at, I'd say that the basics are cleanser+exfoliator, sunscreen, and eye moisturizer (+ ideally face moisturizer). The toners, serums, etc are nice but not imperitive. People will notice dark spots, freckles, and other color inconsistencies, hence the spf. And they'll notice eye bags, dark circles, and wrinkles, hence the eye cream. And none of that moisturizer will sink in if your skin isn't clean, hence the cleanser+exfoliator.

the earlier the better. IMO anyone around that mid-20 mark should really start because it's good to get into the habit, plus by the time you're 35-40 it's almost really too late at that point.

As for night versions and specifically anti-ageing stuff, well I'd say keep it simple, so the same clean and moisturize, and that's about it. Before you go to sleep, wash your face with cleanser to remove the day's dirt, oils, that morning's moisturizer, etc and apply your moisturizer and eye cream.
    The way I see it is either you can have one version of moisturizer (face and eye) and then daytime mix in spf and night time first put on a serum layer that's something to do with anti-ageing, but you use the same moisturizer day+night, or you buy a seperate version of the moisturizer for day and night, with the day likely having spf, plumping up, etc and the night having photosensitive ingredients that are stronger like peelers, or antiwrinkles, or dark spots, etc. I suggest the former method, so it's the same moisturizer for day and night and then just find a serum that does what you want and put that on before the moisturizer. At least for me, I find when I apply moisturizers at night I have breakout by the morning, so I prefer to just wash my face, put on some serum and call it a night.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Hmm yeah i've never been a fan of having to buy 2 creams but if i'm using one solely at night it'll last a lot longer? Can i use the normal Q10 one in the morning for the day then the night cream at night?

I have to admit i only use an SPF in the summer months when the sun is out and beaming strongly. I do use SPF30 though which is alright i guess. Hard to find a non-greasy one.

SPF30 is more than enough. The key though is to remember to reapply, because if you put it on in the morning, it won't last through the day. And whether it should be worn in the rest of the year depends on where you live. Usually, it's better to err on the side of caution. Most hydrating creams now come with SPF, so you should be able to find one that has a consistency you like.

cacio

Yeah its a "once" type cream so its supposed to give me 6 hours of protection!

And what's the best night cream out there? So much choice!

After working in beauty for a couple of years, my non-scientific opinion is that just cleaning and moisturizing to begin with is a huge step, like say 60-70% of the benefit. The brands, lines, formulas, etc are sort of splitting hairs and everyone's skin and preferences are different so sample and sample. As with scent, don't trust any SA's, they're paid to sell you their product and if they don't at least drink the cool-aid their company fed them, then they're at least going to lie to get you to buy. Doesn't mean it's not a good product, but never buy a whole bottle without sampling it for a few days.

You're really going to have to go out there and test out some stuff. At a basic level you have guys like Neutrogena, L'Oreal, etc and their mens lines which are drug store lines. IMO they're fine but basic, sort of like $10-25 per product, maybe as much as $40-50 for some specialty product. Then I'd say there's basic but department store lines like say Clinic (men's line, but also check out their "women's" line). I like Clinique just because they're pretty cheap, often have promos like gift with purchase, and they're backed by real testing and are scent-free. Then I'd say there's guys mid-range like say Keihl's, which I use a lot of their product. They're also mostly scent free, have a milllion different formulas for different concerns and skin types and are more like $25-50 per product, but they last the same 3-5 months each so it's a small price to pay to 'upgrade', though honestly I don't really know if it's any better than Clinique's stuff. And then there's 'higher' end but still sort of generic stuff, like say Lab series, which do decent product but I find them expensive and I don't know if they're really any better. Might be worth sampling them though. And then there's really the real skin care companies like Amore Pacific, ReVive, La Mer, Sisley, La Prarie, etc which are more like $200-500 per product or more. I've sampled all of them and unless you have a really specific skin problem or unusual skin, it's possibly you'll see some sort of miraculous result with them but if you just want a basic routine, IMO start at a Clinique or L'Oreal level and maybe sample something like Keihl's or even Lab if you're feeling adventurous. Lastly, there are skin care lines from companies like Guerlain, Lauder, Cle de P'eau, Chanel, etc, and IMO they're as much fragrance and makeup as they are skin care, which is to say I'm sure their products are adequate, but IMO I don't think they're very good, yes decent and acceptable, but not the same as dedicated companies.

anyway, just some more ramblings for posterity's sake
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Yeah i want a mid-range decent quality one, so not the high st brand but not one that's 50+ either.

Been looking at the Baxter of California night cream 120ml for 24. Not too high and not really cheap.

Interested to see how long that tube will last.

Just to add, keeping your skin clean prior to sleep is the best thing. When you're young and have normal to oily skin, your inherent oil glands will be doing the job for you. It's when you get older, or if you have naturally dry skin, that supplementing with a cream helps.

When I was in my early 30's, I suffered a facial trauma near my right eye. I was encouraged by the surgeon to use anti-aging creams to help the skin. Because I found it odd doing it on just one side, I applied it to both. Even after I'd healed, I was already in the habit so I kept doing it.

Fast forward a couple of decades, all of my peers have "crows feet". I do not. I have slightly oily skin that does help with skin elasticity, but I attribute my condition to having applied those supplements.

EcoGenics makes a skin serum that's simply amazing. This is a small company that has been in business for several decades and doesn't advertise (they mostly sell through boutiques). I use this just around my eyes, then follow up with a good quality moisturizing cream. I'm very glad I got into this routine and feel it paid off.

Broad spectrum sunscreen is the most important item you can use. Don't just look at spf, as that's just a measure against UVB rays (which burn you). You need adequate protection for UVA rays as well (these are the rays that age you). Make sure your sunblock has either Zinc Oxide or Avobenzone.

No, you're not to young and let me make a reasonably priced suggestion: Loreal men's expert vita lift spf 15 anti-wrinkle & firming moisturizer with sunscreen.

You're smart to start thinking about this early. When people are in their 20s, they have a tendency to be carefree and never think that they'll get old or that their metabolism will slow down like it eventually does. When you're 22, 40 seems an eternity away. One day, that day will come and when everyone around you is complaining about their wrinkles deepening, you can smile, because you were smart.

Start. I began with the Clinique system which I really like. Recently I switched to pericon md. I'm using the nutritive cleanser and the plasma that has the sun block. My skin has never been clearer and I love how the cleanser smells.

Nothings works like tretinoin!

Been using the Nivea Q10 night cream since January, and I don't really like it, the smell isn't nice either. Baxter's Night cream is better and I can tolerate the smell.