Code of Conduct

Default Time for another sample haul!

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! As always, you folks have been a fantastic guide to me in my fragrance journey. I am looking for some feedback on my recent little sample haul. I just ordered samples of :
    1. Odin 01
    2. Odin 10
    3. Phaedon Sable Marocain
    4. Phaedon Tabac Rouge
    5. Amouage Opus VI
    6. Diptyque Tam Dao EDP
    7. HDP 1899
    8. Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree

I am also revisiting Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale, Amouage Memoir Man, Dior Bois D'Argent and MPG Santal Noble. Let me know what you think about these fragrances.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Default Re: Time for another sample haul!

I like Odin 01 alot. It reminded me of Le male in a way but less "screechy" because the vanilla smells a lot creamier and smooth. With HDP 1899, it's a softer oriental. I think Buysblind had a great in depth review. To me I like it, but I guess I was expecting a lot more (not to say it's not a good scent, I think I just hyped it in my own head too much). It's got a bright and sweet orange blossom start and I love the vetiver vanilla base.

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    I like Odin 01 alot. It reminded me of Le male in a way but less "screechy" because the vanilla smells a lot creamier and smooth. With HDP 1899, it's a softer oriental. I think Buysblind had a great in depth review. To me I like it, but I guess I was expecting a lot more (not to say it's not a good scent, I think I just hyped it in my own head too much). It's got a bright and sweet orange blossom start and I love the vetiver vanilla base.
    thanks for the feedback!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Santal noble and chanel PM Concentree are 2 I really rate very high from your list. Totally FB worthy imho...

I have bottles of all except the Odin scents and the Amouage. The two Phaedon you got are very nice especially the Sable Marocain. I think you will like that one a lot.

(2337)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by MJM_77 View Post
    Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen! As always, you folks have been a fantastic guide to me in my fragrance journey. I am looking for some feedback on my recent little sample haul. I just ordered samples of :
    1. Odin 01
    2. Odin 10
    4. Phaedon Tabac Rouge
    5. Amouage Opus VI
    6. Diptyque Tam Dao EDP
    7. HDP 1899

I am also revisiting Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale, Amouage Memoir Man, Dior Bois D'Argent and MPG Santal Noble. Let me know what you think about these fragrances.
    Santal Noble was totally full bottle worthy for me. Have been enjoying it day in; day out.

Going to try Diptyque Tam Dao before the year is up as I have read good things about it. Wasn't too keen on the EdT but it wasn't a bad scent.

I'm only familiar with 6,7, and 8.

1899 is one of my favorites. I recommend 3 or 4 sprays, you'll get a good performance out of it. If you own Spicebomb, it's fun to do a side by side comparison of these two. At first they appear quite similar but they diverge and wind up in completely different places.

Tam Dao is a straightforward sandalwood. I find it kind of boring. I bought a bottle and sold it not long after.

CPMC is pretty good. I think you'll like it. It's probably my favorite Chanel fragrance (maybe tied with Bleu), not counting the exclusives. Orange, lavender, cardamom,nutmeg, and vanilla are the main notes in this one, and very apparent. It's sort of a spicy, powdery sweet frag. I like it.

Have fun with your samples!

By the way, good idea revisiting Memoir Man. I revisited it too, and now it's in my top 10. Really nice stuff.

Bois d'Argent--I guess we'll both find out this week. I ordered a bottle blindly on Saturday. It sounds wonderful.

And Santal Noble never clicked with me. I never understood the glowing reviews, but maybe it will work for you.
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

I don't have a lot of experience with very many of these...but here's my thoughts on the one's that I do:

Odin 10- I own it and love it. It's a coconutty saffron scent mixed with incense and woods. IMO it's the best Odin. Its smooth, smokey, seems a tad bit leathery because of the saffron. It's great stuff!

Tam Dao EDP- I really liked the EDT, but man do I love the EDP. It's much smoother and has more of a moistness to it than the EDT...I find the EDT a bit too dry. Add to the mix a little coconut and lime, that only come in as side players but round and balance it out. I find it significantly different from the EDT. Yes, it is a straightforward sandalwood scent, but that's what I like about it.

Amouage Opus VI-I'm still testing this one out myself...it's super potent, and it burns my nose a little. I like it, but I don't know if I love it yet...I still have a lot of testing to do on this one.

Amouage Memoir Man-This is one of my all time favorite frags!! It's fantastic. It's dark and thick, yet has some freshness to it because of the mint. It's got some awesome incense, and it has a forest vibe to it for me. It love the stuff! I don't know if I will ever not have a bottle of it in my collection.

Wow, all of these responses are making me very anxious for my samples to arrive!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Only tried Odin 01. A winner IMO. Light incense and vanilla with a touch of tonka and cedar.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Odin 01 has nothing to do with Le Male..
    Moreso GPH and Bentley Intense

Just got my sample of 1899 today. I really like this one but I am not sure if I like this enough for a decant. I will sample again in the coming days to figure out if this one is decant worthy.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Nobody has any experience with these scents that hasn't chimed in?
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

The only one I've tried is Amouage Opus VI. The big picture on this one is smoky amber with a tiny bit of oud mixed in early on. Not a vanilla amber, more of a Lutens Amber Sultan without the overload of spices. Very good performance on longevity and sillage. Good luck with your haul! Ive got one of my own coming in soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyoakpenn View Post
    The only one I've tried is Amouage Opus VI. The big picture on this one is smoky amber with a tiny bit of oud mixed in early on. Not a vanilla amber, more of a Lutens Amber Sultan without the overload of spices. Very good performance on longevity and sillage. Good luck with your haul! Ive got one of my own coming in soon.
    Thanks, good luck to you too.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I am waiting for Por Monsieur, Memoir Man and Sushi Imperiale. Unfortunately, the only scent I am digging even a little is Santal Noble. Damn... Oh well, back to the drawing board.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Right now I am two hours into my Tabac Rouge sample and the similarities to Tobacco Vanille are very strong. This one doesn't seem to project as much. This one could be a contender since it seems as if there is less of a vanilla scented candle in the base compared to Tobacco Vanille. So far I am digging this one quite a bit.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Just got the second part of my haul and I am really liking Aqua Universalis for a work type summer scent. I am also really enjoying Memoir Man quite a bit more than I remembered. While I do appreciate the scent of Sushi Imperiale I don't think that this one will be something I am picking up in the future because there is no wow factor for me. Pour Monsieur Concentree is a really nice scent but I find it to be only good for formal occasions. I don't think this is something I would be purchasing anytime since I have far better formal type fragrances IMO.
    Now that I am done with this sample haul, the only ones I found to be decant worthy are Santal Noble, Tabac Rouge and Aqua Universalis. I need to spend a little more time with Bois D'Argent but so far I dislike the opening and absolutely love the drydown.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Just got the second part of my haul and I am really liking Aqua Universalis for a work type summer scent. I am also really enjoying Memoir Man quite a bit more than I remembered. While I do appreciate the scent of Sushi Imperiale I don't think that this one will be something I am picking up in the future because there is no wow factor for me. Pour Monsieur Concentree is a really nice scent but I find it to be only good for formal occasions. I don't think this is something I would be purchasing anytime since I have far better formal type fragrances IMO.
    Now that I am done with this sample haul, the only ones I found to be decant worthy are Santal Noble, Tabac Rouge and Aqua Universalis. I need to spend a little more time with Bois D'Argent but so far I dislike the opening and absolutely love the drydown.

1899 didn't work for you, huh?

I was hoping you'd like that one!

Anyway...

I got a bottle of Bois d'Argent about 2 weeks ago. Today is the first day that it really worked well for me, and it smells great. I had to go pretty heavy on the application, 4 on and around the neck, 2 under the shirt, and one on each wrist. I know that sounds like a lot, and normally I don't spray like that, but on days when I did 4 sprays it was really too light.

I always appreciate when someone comes back to their post after making a "what should I sample" thread or "what should I buy" thread, and relays their experience.

Glad to see the update!
    Top 5 Winter Frags:
    1) Tabac Rouge
    2) Scent of Peace for Him
    3) Amyris Homme
    4) Paris*L.A.
    5) Blackbir
    d

MJM_77.....Id say your haul worked out good for you. Out of 13 scents you found 3 that you really enjoyed. Buy those three! Ive spent a good bit of money buying ones that are only okay. Its tough to find one nowadays that doesn't smell good but I don't have the money to buy them all. Im only buying the ones that really do something for me.

Out of my haul, Id say I was really digging, at best, 10% of them. Makes it easier on the wallet and easier in the morning deciding what Im going to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    1899 didn't work for you, huh?

I was hoping you'd like that one!

Anyway...

I got a bottle of Bois d'Argent about 2 weeks ago. Today is the first day that it really worked well for me, and it smells great. I had to go pretty heavy on the application, 4 on and around the neck, 2 under the shirt, and one on each wrist. I know that sounds like a lot, and normally I don't spray like that, but on days when I did 4 sprays it was really too light.

I always appreciate when someone comes back to their post after making a "what should I sample" thread or "what should I buy" thread, and relays their experience.

Glad to see the update!
    That's not heavy at all!
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I love Bois d'argent! This one is a definite keeper! Just like how Buysblind said you have to go heavy with the sprayer. When I did? Wow! This one is getting added to my rotation, thanks bro. I also want to thank my friend PersianPrince for the hook up!
    Last edited by MJM_77; 13th January 2014 at 04:15 PM.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

1. Odin 01
    2. Odin 10
    4. Phaedon Tabac Rouge
    5. Amouage Opus VI
    6. Diptyque Tam Dao EDP
    7. HDP 1899

You have quite an excellent line up. First off, I absolutely ADORE and am probably a little bit obsessed with Bois D' Argent. That juice is just intoxicating. Sushi Imperiale is another excellent one, although I don't reach for it as much as I'd like. It's more a "I have to be in the mood for it" frag. Tabac Rouge is phenomenal. Everyone compares it to TV and yes there are similarities, but I do think Tabac Rouge is able to stand alone/ on its own two feet. I get excellent longevity and projection is also above average. And opus VI - incredible. I will own a FB of that juice one day. Hope you enjoy your new goodies definitely a lot of gems.

Hey MJM,

Did you ever receive odin 10 yet? what'd you think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    Hey MJM,

Did you ever receive odin 10 yet? what'd you think of it?
    Yes, I did. I have a really bad cold so I can't smell anything right now so I can't revisit it really. With the initial impression I wasn't very wowed by it. Have you tried this?
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Yes, I did. I have a really bad cold so I can't smell anything right now so I can't revisit it really. With the initial impression I wasn't very wowed by it. Have you tried this?
    Being a fume head and Not being able to smell is one of the worst things. Lol. Feel better btw.

Quote Originally Posted by MissNicole View Post
    Being a fume head and Not being able to smell is one of the worst things. Lol. Feel better btw.
    Thanks, I already swapped off my sample of it. Wasn't really to my liking at all. However, I absolutely adore Santal Noble but does anyone else has longevity and projection problems with this one like I do?
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

No I haven't but they suggest it is supposed to bring the feel of a wet rainforest and claim they use Amazonian incense. I really want to find my holy grail that'll take me back to the Amazon and I was just wondering what you thought of it.

I thought it was a good fragrance but it lacked that wow factor. It sounds like you may like Norne from the Slumberhouse line.
    Last edited by MJM_77; 30th January 2014 at 03:46 AM.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Dior Homme Parfum
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. Apple Brandy
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille