Code of Conduct

Thread: Argan Oil Craze

Default Argan Oil Craze

There's another thread about this which is about hair. This one is about skincare.

I was sold on Eucerin Calming Daily Wash before I started reading about Argan Oil haircare and skincare craze.

Argan Oil products for hair:

Now I found a few skincare argan oil:

Skinception which is cold pressed cosmetic argan oil. Though very expensive, online reviews say it it the best. As it's not processed via machines.

I also found another smaller company, Saaida Organics.

100% Pure Organic Argan Oil by Moroccan Gold winner of the Gold Trophy Best Argan oil producer in Morocco 2012 - #1 Moroccan Argan Oil - EcoCert Approved Fair Trade certified 120 ml / 4 oz - Cold Pressed Premium Grade Moroccan Oil, Rich In Anti-Aging properties and Vitamin E - Made In and imported from Morocco 2013. Special Amazon Launch Price while stocks last!

The haircare products are quite cheap vs skincare line. Can hair argan oil products be used on skin and achieve the effects as pure argan oil (im guessing not). What are your experiences with 100% argan oil?
    Last edited by klimax; 30th December 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Default Re: Argan Oil Craze

It seems quite expensive. I use argan type of oils on hair (more like a styling gel than for other purposes). But I'm quite satisfied with the other oils I use on skin (almond, etc), so whatever argan does, it seems overkill. But I don't think there's anything intrinsically differet about hair versus body oils, other than the usual problem that some oils do not get absorbed easily, which could be a good thing, but then will make you stain whatever you wear.

Btw, I use eucerin daily wash too and like it a lot, I swim in the pool often and so far it has not dried or irritated my skin. But that's for showering, and I often lather a body oil after the shower.

cacio

They're damn expensive exactly. There is a supermodel Josie Maran who sells a whole Argan Oil skincare line but they're machine pressed so it loses some of its properties and the price is ridiculous.

I think I'll still have to get Eucerin though as none of the Argan Oil products listed are for shower use in the shower.

This is the Wikipedia page - nice to know that it appears that women's co-operatives are benefiting from this in some way.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argan_oil

More information about argan oil: http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic...tion/argan-oil

I bought a big bottle of oil from Kahina Beauty and received an assortment of free samples of several Josie Maran argan -based products from Sephora.
    http://kahina-givingbeauty.com/shop/kahina-argan-oil/
    I liked Josie Maran's lip balm. It works well on cuticles as well as on lips. The oil from Kahina Beauty works nicely to pre-condition my hair and scalp, but other oils, especially coconut oil work just as well I think and cost much less. I don't think it warrants the price.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 31st December 2013 at 04:20 PM.

I agree with the other posters about less expensive substitutes. I use sesame, avocado, coconut, apricot kernel, olive, rose hip seed oils depending on my mood.

U are all right, it is expensive. However this one is cheap and ticks all the right boxes. It is selling like pancakes in the uk. WHat's more it comes with a bulb dropper and spray, so u can choose whichever,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Moro...=Moroccan+Gold

There is this one which also tick all the right boxes except price but has glowing reviews vs other argan oil products

I will buy only the first one until their launch offer expires. currently it's only like a tenner.

There is arganfarm which is probably the purest one, I will try these out later because I'm gonna buy in bulk first one.
    http://www.arganfarm.com/
    Last edited by klimax; 31st December 2013 at 06:50 PM.

That may be "cheap" compared to other argan oils, but it's still at least ten times the cost of cold-pressed, organic coconut oil.

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    That may be "cheap" compared to other argan oils, but it's still at least ten times the cost of cold-pressed, organic coconut oil.
    There are supermodels who even have an argan oil skincare line. And professional salons using argan oil as an ingredient or just on its own.

Almond oil and coconut oil do smell a lot. But this one doesn’t smell at all Another difference between coconut and Argan oils is that the molecules in Argan Oil are smaller than in coconut, so they penetrate into the skin easier. (Or so we hear.)

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post
    There are supermodels who even have an argan oil skincare line. And professional salons using argan oil as an ingredient or just on its own.
    That doesn't mean it's a more effective product.

It is marketed that way though. Especially with what it's been labelled; 'Liquid Gold'.

Are you basing your "debunking" on marketing?

Are you basing your "debunking" on marketing?
    No I based it on what I could find out by reviews online. Then cross-checking it with other reviews. Then reading about the ingredients in it and where it's made. Price. Directly contacting the companies. Packiging. I really have done extensive research on this as I bought loads of coconut oil last year, like 6 big bottles, but hav not even gone through one lol

Quote Originally Posted by klimax View Post
    No I based it on what I could find out by reviews online. Then cross-checking it with other reviews. Then reading about the ingredients in it and where it's made. Price. Directly contacting the companies. Packiging. I really have done extensive research on this as I bought loads of coconut oil last year, like 6 big bottles, but hav not even gone through one lol
    I usually buy mine in jars, one at a time. A little goes a long way when using it for skin and hair. Actually, I've used more of it for oil pulling than anything else after reading this:
    Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Here is something that has helped whiten my teeth by reducing tartar build-up. It's called oil pulling. It seems a little strange at first, but you get used to it, and it makes your teeth and gums feel great. I had a great dental checkup recently, with improved gums (due to this, I'm convinced). I use organic cold pressed sesame oil. They recommend you do it for 20 minutes, I think, but I do ten. I highly recommend this practice.

http://oilpulling.com/
    Maybe you could try cooking with all that unused, unwanted coconut oil, or using it as lilybelle described using sesame oil. The coconut oil is well-suited for use on teeth.

I hope the argan oil you are getting is everything you want it to be.

I usually buy mine in jars, one at a time. A little goes a long way when using it for skin and hair. Actually, I've used more of it for oil pulling than anything else after reading this:

Maybe you could try cooking with all that unused, unwanted coconut oil, or using it as lilybelle described using sesame oil. The coconut oil is well-suited for use on teeth.

I hope the argan oil you are getting is everything you want it to be.
    Yeah i meant jars i have like 6 lying around and about 7 bottles. I dont like that cocunut oil needs to be heated everytime u plan on eating it, otherwise it stays solid. And when applying on skin u have to liquidize it?

- - - Updated - - -

i just noticed that coconut oil is right under "High Clogging Probability."
    http://www.soapnuts.com/noncomo.html

This also says the same thing as above and says Argan Oil isn't likely to clog pores.
    http://www.acne.org/messageboard/top...-and-products/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I agree with the other posters about less expensive substitutes. I use sesame, avocado, coconut, apricot kernel, olive, rose hip seed oils depending on my mood.
    This is an interesting read. It basically says some products used externally i.e. applied topically on body gets a different reaction than the products when used internally (for consumption).
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...-Acid-in-Sebum

Argan Oil is high in Linoleic Acid
    http://www.truthinaging.com/review/w...-for-its-money
    Last edited by klimax; 4th January 2014 at 07:01 PM.

I will clarify my first response. On my face I use rose hip seed oil after washing and then toning with rose water & glycerin. I like the rose hip seed oil because it absorbs quickly. Actually, I often "wash" my face with avocado or apricot kernel oil. Anyway, I think that the rose hip seed oil gives good results as far as reducing sun spots, etc. though it is not a miracle oil by any means. The coconut oil I use on my hair, and for oil pulling, and for deodorizing my armpits (it works to some extent). In the summer I use the coconut oil all over my body. Now that we have winter weather, I use sesame oil on my body as it seems more agreeable for some reason. I do have an old bottle of Moroccan Oil that I use on my hair from time to time and I think that it contains some argan oil. I justify the expense of buying these oils by telling myself that since I don't often get professional facials then I can spare the extra cash for a good facial or body oil. However, I do attempt to reign in my spending for the most part. I was interested to read some of the postings on the rosacea forum and will probably read further later.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly11 View Post
    I will clarify my first response. On my face I use rose hip seed oil after washing and then toning with rose water & glycerin. I like the rose hip seed oil because it absorbs quickly. Actually, I often "wash" my face with avocado or apricot kernel oil. Anyway, I think that the rose hip seed oil gives good results as far as reducing sun spots, etc. though it is not a miracle oil by any means. The coconut oil I use on my hair, and for oil pulling, and for deodorizing my armpits (it works to some extent). In the summer I use the coconut oil all over my body. Now that we have winter weather, I use sesame oil on my body as it seems more agreeable for some reason. I do have an old bottle of Moroccan Oil that I use on my hair from time to time and I think that it contains some argan oil. I justify the expense of buying these oils by telling myself that since I don't often get professional facials then I can spare the extra cash for a good facial or body oil. However, I do attempt to reign in my spending for the most part. I was interested to read some of the postings on the rosacea forum and will probably read further later.
    I see coconut as something to eat rather than use to apply to skin. Drinking tea/coffee with coconut oil is quite tasty too (supermodels do this).

I think this post is helpful from rosacea forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by KISHA
    I had the same problem with really bad dry, flaky, skin I looked like a lizard peeling. I bought every lotion and cream even thick hand cream like bag balm...nothing and on top of it the places that were not dry were oily. I finally found Argan oil, it's a dry oil so it doesn't leave me greasy or shiny, it absorbs really quick and it has really helped get rid of my flaky patches. As far as makeup I couldn't find anything I tried it all, getting rid of the dry skin was the only solution.
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ncrease-flakes

You can substitute Rice Bran oil for Argan oil as they have an almost identical fatty acid profile. The ratio of Oleic fatty acid (the name is derived from Olive oil) and Linoleic fatty acids are almost 50/50. The Argan oil marketing campaigns are just a fad like most things in life. Please understand, I am not taking anything away from th oils benefits at all, you can just get the same results, more or less with Rice Bran oil and Japanese women have used it for years on their face even!

Quote Originally Posted by Ajmcguire View Post
    You can substitute Rice Bran oil for Argan oil as they have an almost identical fatty acid profile. The ratio of Oleic fatty acid (the name is derived from Olive oil) and Linoleic fatty acids are almost 50/50. The Argan oil marketing campaigns are just a fad like most things in life. Please understand, I am not taking anything away from th oils benefits at all, you can just get the same results, more or less with Rice Bran oil and Japanese women have used it for years on their face even!
    Rice Bran Oil does seem to have similar if not more benefits than Argan Oil in the ingredient makeup but Rice Bran Oil is said to be medium/v thick (shiny skin) whereas Argan Oil is light (looks natural).

This is informative study on Argan Oil
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1....200700220/pdf
    Last edited by klimax; 6th January 2014 at 12:14 PM.

Yes, it was because of mild rosacea I first tried Argan Oil. I would not put Coconut oil near my face because of sensitivity to be honest. Thick and greasy, Argan you can use under moisturiser during the day without a problem.

Rice Brand, no idea about the oil but usually it is included in cosmetics as a blotting agent so can dry the skin out. The famous Clarins Beauty Flash Balm is really a mask to use once or twice a week. For many use it as a facial primer under foundation, but it will dry your skin out over time as its not meant to be used like that.
    DONNA

That is an informative study! Ahhh, I see what Donna means, Rice bran is used as a "blotting" agent.....the husks of the rice, that makes sense. One of the best oils for the face is Borage oil, it helps calm irritation and inflammation it is the highest in Linolenic acid and check out the "British Journal of Nutrition'' for another informative study. Anyway, the Morrocan people are really benefitting from the purchases and that is awesome. You could buy an ounce or so wholesale so that your not paying for fancy packaging and other ingredients. I make my own body care products, its really fun actually, so why not create your own oil blend? With a little of this & a little of that?

Yes Borage appears in many organic brands and is very highly rated.
    DONNA

And Borage is such a beautiful crop visually - there's an increasing amount being grown locally these days.
    I like hemp oil products too.

I don't know what borage smells like, but I recently got a hair oil from Aesop, called shine, which supposedly contains borage, jojoba seeds, and petitgrain. It smells like a horrid aquatic - don't know if borage is a natural substitute to calone. But I simply couldn't wear it, and gave it away.

cacio

Borage leaves are 'cucumbery', cacio - flowers are often dropped into drinks here!

images.jpeg

images-1.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    Yes Borage appears in many organic brands and is very highly rated.
    Borage vs Argan Oil.
    http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum....php?tid=48269
    You're welcome

Cold pressed 100% Borage oil have a very low scent, hardly anything detectable, so it's great for making serums and adding essential oils too. Borage oils comes from the seeds of the plant. Have you heard this? Marula oil out of Africa has recently been touted as the next "miracle oil" as is great for burns. Yep, a soothing oil for burns. The oil comes from the nuts the tree produces and has a detectable smell, some clients of mine say it smells musty. I don't use that one at full strength though, it's expensive too. I love making products, it is so much fun. Thank goodness for a forum like this to learn more and more from!

- - - Updated - - -

Dropped in drinks! How pretty! I know some people put Orange Blossom water into drinks too, it smells so good!

- - - Updated - - -

I use Hemp oil in dermatitis cream, it has a unique fatty acid composition and is useful for many things and a great alternative for petrolium derived ingredients

Ipp

thanks! If it's the same "cucumber" as calone, then that explains...

cacio

cacio - I think that's more 'watermelon' than cucumber, plus a bit?
    Cucumber/violet leaf isn't sweet (to me).

Borage oil doesn't have a scent really so it can't substitute for an aroma chemical that has a scent.

No, the oil doesn't, just the fresh plant.

Yep! Fresh mint is good in water too

For anyone interested in buying 100% Argan Oil. I found these two sellers who have everything going for them. Price is cheapest I found in UK.
    1. Realargan
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-PURE-O...item1e68d32da2

2. Moroccon Gold
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Organic-Moro...=Moroccan+Gold

I see, so it may not be borage what smells like dead sea life. In any case, if anyone happens in a Aesop store and tries some of the shine, I'd be happy to hear reactions. (note, the first smell is ok. The marine part comes out after a while).

cacio

LOL! I looked the product up and it says it has Ylang Ylang and a few other EO's. Thats funny Cacio! Now I wonder what their sales are like, ha!

No perceptible ylang ylang in this one. There's very perceptible ylang ylang in the Aesop oil for the face, which smells good.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Ajmcguire View Post
    Cold pressed 100% Borage oil have a very low scent, hardly anything detectable, so it's great for making serums and adding essential oils too. Borage oils comes from the seeds of the plant. Have you heard this? Marula oil out of Africa has recently been touted as the next "miracle oil" as is great for burns. Yep, a soothing oil for burns. The oil comes from the nuts the tree produces and has a detectable smell, some clients of mine say it smells musty. I don't use that one at full strength though, it's expensive too. I love making products, it is so much fun. Thank goodness for a forum like this to learn more and more from!
    If Marula Oil was so good how comes no supermodel has picked up on it? And noone talks about it on modelmayhem or even thefashionspot whereas Argan Oil is talked about. Two of the biggest and leading fashion beauty forums.

- - - Updated - - -

celebrities/models who use argan oil:
    Anais Pouliot
    Susie Amy
    Giselle Bundchen
    Kim Kardashian
    Charlize Theron
    Madonna
    Eva Mendes
    Katy Perry
    Angelina Jolie
    Jennifer Aniston
    Josie Maran
    Julianne Moore
    Kelly Ripa
    Kylie Minogue
    Marion Cotillard
    Scarlett Johansson
    Salma Hayek
    Selena Gomez
    Taylor Swift
    Nigella Lawson
    Jamie Oliver

http://www.essentialsyou.com/who-is-using-argan-oil/
    Last edited by klimax; 12th January 2014 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patburton View Post
    I also heard argan is very good for the hair. I want something to revive my hair and reduce hairfall, is argan product effective for that?
    Pure Argan Oil is good for the skin but where it exceeds is the Hair. It's used in the leading salons, but usually it's Moroccan Oil that's used for hair which contains a small amount of Argan Oil with other ingredients and fillers. It's safer as a standalone. U can see on this post how it helps with hair http://www.basenotes.net/threads/373...=1#post3036455

After comparing two of the products, Realargan from ebay, absorbs into the skin more easily than Moroccan gold company, makes skin softer and leaves no residue. Whereas the Moroccan Gold company leaves a matte finish. I recommend the realargan for UK buyers. Over 11,000 sold!
    Last edited by klimax; 19th January 2014 at 12:01 PM.

My Moroccan friends dip their bread in it and eat it He asks he'd rather have it do it's magic from the inside. Apparently it is common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    My Moroccan friends dip their bread in it and eat it He asks he'd rather have it do it's magic from the inside. Apparently it is common practice.
    Yep but the edible one is usually roasted so it has that nutty smell. If it's roasted it loses some of it's properties, that's why there is a culinary grade (edible) and cosmetic grade (raw). Although I've been told by ebay seller (link posted above), they're both edible.

Aah, that's right. I've got some at home somewhere. Haven't tried it with bread yet...

Thanks.

Yep, Argan Oil can work wonders for your hair and skin. I personally use them and the improvements are visible. Though it does not come cheap, a few drops go a long way!

I've tried it and I love it. I also have the shampoo and condition, my hair definitely feels thicker and less dry.

I use argan oil when it's 100% pure. Some of the "argan oil" hair products can be nothing but silicones with a bit of argan oil near the bottom of the ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by themaleedit View Post
    I use argan oil when it's 100% pure. Some of the "argan oil" hair products can be nothing but silicones with a bit of argan oil near the bottom of the ingredients.
    Very true, also there is a cooking version which is not as refined as the one for the skin.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by themaleedit View Post
    agreed, some places market themselves as containing it but actually contain very little!